INTERNET BOOKSHOP: SELLING BOOKS SINCE 1998
ORDER 2 OR MORE BOOKS: RECEIVE 20% DISCOUNT !!
PO Box 176, Annandale NSW 2038, Australia.
Phone: (02) 9550-1258 (late afternoon or message).
BOOKS FOR SALE:
EPHEMERA ** MAPS ** TIMETABLES ** PLAYBILLS ** PROGRAMS ** MENUS ** CALENDARS ** BROCHURES ** POSTCARDS ** NOVELTY BOOKS ** BOOKS WITH EPHEMERA INCLUDED
(Not: PAMPHLETS, SHEET MUSIC, CARTOON BOOKS,
CHILDREN'S PICTURE BOOKS, AUTOGRAPHS: see below).
Check this on our online database, updated weekly !!
All books are in stock (except for a few recent sales). Plus postage at cost.
We offer 20% discount for orders of 2 or more books.
1. Admiralty (1889). [MAP] South America: Magellan Strait from the First Narrows to Sandy Point. London: The Admiralty. N/a pp. Map, very large format (70 cm x 100 cm. with folded add-on), single sheet, folded vertically once, poor condition reading copy, edges heavily stained (particularly , some annotation, notable edgewear. Admiralty chart no 1337, copyright 1869. Surveyed by Capt R. C. Mayne, HMS Nassau 1867-8 [etc], longitude corrected 1882, magnetic variation noted 1889. Superintended by Capt G. H. Richards, hydrographer. Contains coastal rivers and hills, as well as extensive depth soundings along the strait. Includes inset of two vertical profiles across the strait. Folded add-on sheet (19 x 46 cm) pasted to bottom left section of map. Our Book No: 16863. $30 AUD.
2. Admiralty (1929). [MAP] Ceylon South Coast: Galle to Little Basses. London: The Admiralty. N/a pp. Map, very large format (70 cm x 125 cm), single sheet, folded vertically twice, good plus condition, faintly toned, edgewear corners. Admiralty chart no 3265 (Zc 1947), copyright 1910, magnetic corrections 1929, printing 1947. Surveyed by HM Skylark, 1908-9. Contains coastal towns, rivers and hills, as well as extensive depth soundings off the coast. Our Book No: 16861. $30 AUD.
3. Admiralty (1940). [MAP] Mediterranean - Tunisia North Coast - Les Fratelli to Cap Carthage [Inset: Cap Farina Anchorage]. London: The Admiralty. N/a pp. Map, very large format (70 cm x 100 cm), single sheet, folded vertically once, fair condition reading copy, reverse heavily marked (with annotation, rubber stamp), notable edgewear. Admiralty chart no 1381 (Zc 1951), copyright 1940, printing 1951. From French Government charts to 1936. Contains coastal towns, rivers and hills, as well as extensive depth soundings off the coast. Our Book No: 16862. $30 AUD.
4. Albert, J. & Son (1968). Albert's Hill Billy Songster, No. 2. Sydney: Albert J. & Son. 26 pp. Paperback very small, stapled pamphlet (staples lightly rusted), very good condition, minor edgewear. Estimated date, late 1960s (song copyright, 1959, printer's mark 1964, decimal transition sticker). The words and music of hillbilly hits. Most of the songs have been written during the 30s and 40s. Some of the songs are: Yellow Rose of Texas; Wagon Wheels; Old Shep; South of The Border. Our Book No: 24016. $10 AUD.
5. Albert, J. & Son (1968). Albert's Hill Billy Songster, No. 3. Sydney: Albert J. & Son. 34 pp. Paperback very small, stapled pamphlet (staples rusted), very good condition, top corner rear cover creased, minor edgewear. Estimated date, late 1960s: decimal transition sticker (original publication, 1947 - Age newspaper advert). The words and music of hillbilly hits. Some of the songs are: When The Cactus is Blooming At Home; Yippee Yadee Yi Yay; When The Tumble Weeds Come Tumbling Down Again; Gim-Me Crack Corn; I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen. Our Book No: 24017. $10 AUD.
6. Albert, J. & Son (1968). Albert's Hill Billy Songster, No. 4. Sydney: Albert J. & Son. 34 pp. Paperback very small, stapled pamphlet (staples rusted), very good condition, bottom corner front cover creased, minor edgewear. (Estimated date, late 1960s, decimal transition sticker.) The words of hillbilly. Some of the songs are: Frankie And Johnny; Shine On Harvest Moon; Carolina in the Morning; When The Red, Red Robin Comes Bob-Bob-Bobbin' Along; Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah. Our Book No: 24018. $10 AUD.
7. Albert, J. & Son (1968). Albert's Hill Billy Songster, No. 5. Sydney: Albert J. & Son. 26 pp. Paperback very small, stapled pamphlet (staples rusted), very good condition, page corner tips little creased, pages toned as usual, minor edgewear. Estimated date, late 1960s (decimal transition sticker). The words of about 70 hillbilly hits. For example: Pine Tree, Pine Over Me; A Dear John Letter; The Little green Valley; Makin' Whoopee; My Blue Ridge Mountain Home; Roo Roo Kangaroo. Our Book No: 24019. $10 AUD.
8. Ampol (1962). Ampol Road Map New South Wales. Sydney: Gregory's Guides and Maps / Halstead Press (Printers). 48 pp. Paperback small, good condition, stapled, colour maps, pages lightly toned, covers lightly foxed (front cover lightly scratched), minor edgewear. (Estimated date, 1962, stated on title page for estimated population.) A small booklet of maps of NSW produced for sale in Ampol service stations. Our Book No: 16413. $20 AUD.
9. Aris, E. [Ernest] (1908). [POSTCARD] You Might Drop In: Wishing You a Merry Christmas [Star Series]. Accrington & London: Havelock Lonsdale Art Publisher. N/A pp. Postcard oblong, very good condition, colour drawing, minimal foxing, minor edgewear. Picture of two men on ice skates, one standing behind a sign stating "Ice Not Safe". Ernest Aris (1882 - 1963) was a prolific English illustrator of children's books, particularly for Beatrix Potter. He also did commercial art for postcards etc. Our Book No: 16810. $15 AUD.
10. Asimov, Isaac (introduction); Cote, Jean Marc (illustrator) (1986). Futuredays: A Nineteenth-Century Vision of the Year 2000 [Future days: A 19th vision]. New York: Lucy Carroll / Henry Holt. 96 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good plus condition, glossy paper, colour drawings, faint sticker mark, copy 2. This book consists of fifty postcards (with commentary by Asimov) designed by Cote, a French commercial artist, in 1899, being predictions of the year 2000. Cote designed these cigarette cards in 1899 but his client only produced one full set. This little book reproduces 50 of these cards and Asimov contributes an essay on futurism. ISBN: 0805001204. Our Book No: 6200A. $30 AUD.
11. Bosse, Abraham; Blum, Andre (1924). L'Oeuvre Grave D'Abraham Bosse. Paris: Editions Albert Morance. 94 + 44 pp. Hardback wide (folder), thick papered board cover, red cloth spine (gilt lettering), very good condition, ribbon ties, booklet & sheets (engravings) loosely inserted, booklet top edges uncut, cover corner little bumped (top edge little worn). A collection of 44 looseleaf engravings by French artist Abraham Bosse, presented in a stiff card folder with ribbon ties, together with a 94-page booklet, being an introduction to the 44 looseleaf plates. Our Book No: 14380. $150 AUD.
12. Brittain, Julia (2006). Plants, People & Places: The Plant Lover's Companion (1st ed). Newton Abbot, Devon: David & Charles. 191 pp. Paperback trade (with flaps), very good condition, black & white drawings, black & white text-photos, minor edgewear. This book looks at the origins of the plants that are grown in gardens today. This useful readable book is illustrated throughout with archive pictures of plants and plantsmen. This book will be ideal for plant lover's and gardeners everywhere. ISBN: 9780715324219. Our Book No: 29260. $18 AUD.
13. Buxton, Dudley (1915). [POSTCARD] May You Fall in for an Ice Time This Christmas: With Every Good Wish for the Festive Season [CWF Series 1282]. London: C. W. Faulkner & Co. N/A pp. Postcard oblong, very good condition, colour drawing, minor foxing & toning, corner tip creased, minor edgewear, annotation. (Estimated date, 1915.) Comic Christmas postcard showing goose with broom talking to fallen snowman wearing skates, with Danger sign in background. Reverse side: Split back, with written message: "To Will: Wishing you the compliments of the season and the best of good luck. From Mother, Xmas 1915". Our Book No: 17145. $10 AUD.
14. Calvert, Albert F. (1893). The Discovery of Australia (1st ed). London & Liverpool: George Philip & Son. 92 pp. Hardback quarto, no jacket as issued, good condition, original maroon cloth cover (gold lettering front cover & spine), top edge gilt, maps, black & white plates (mostly maps), endpapers & edges toned, title page & few pages lightly foxed, covers little scratched & bumped, inner hinge split (pages firm), edgewear, bookplate. First edition. A history of the discovery of Australia from the imaginations of the early philosophers to Captain Cook's third voyage in 1775, richly illustrated by old maps. (Ferguson 7812. All 24 listed map plates present, plus 3 unlisted plates at rear [p 86], all in excellent condition. Large bookplate of Henry L. White, Belltrees, Scone, Australian Ornithology, Philately and Bibliography - showing lyre bird reading a book.). Our Book No: 17115. $70 AUD.
15. Chichester, Francis (1981). 50th Anniversary of Sir Francis Chichester's Flight Across the Tasman [First-Day Cover & Photo]. Sydney: Australia Post. N/A pp. Ephemera, envelope, very good plus condition, pictorial cover, rubber stamps, memento sticker. Plus: photograph, very good condition, sepia (brown-coloured), minimal edge tear, annotation rear side. First-day cover: Has sticker signed by Capt. R. Ockenden, and J. Koch (Re-Enactment Party). Commemorates the 50th anniversary of the first east-west solo crossing of the Tasman Sea by Chichester in 1931: Auckland to Norfolk Island, then to Lord Howe Island, then to Jervis Bay, NSW. Photograph: Shows picture of aircraft ZK-AKK plus onlookers, perhaps on Lord Howe Island, plus autograph of Chichester (copy, possibly dated 1967 according to annotation rear cover). Our Book No: 16811. $15 AUD.
16. Circle, Map Collectors; Tooley, R. V. (1965). Early Maps of Australia: The Dutch Period: Being Examples from the Collection of R. V. Tooley with Bibliographical Notes [Map Collectors Series: Third Year, no. 23]. London: Map Collectors Circle. 27 + Unnum 30 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, full-page maps, card cover (minimal foxing), minor edgewear. Lists and describes 89 early Australian maps from the Tooley collection. The maps are collected in the second half of the booklet. Our Book No: 16422. $20 AUD.
17. Cruikshank, George (1982). Hop-O' My-Thumb and the Seven League Boots [Facsimile Editions, Osborne Collection of Early Children's Books, Toronto Public Library]. London / Tokyo: Bodley Head / Holp Shuppan. 34 pp. Paperback small, very good plus condition, card cover, full-page black & white drawings, in cardboard slipcase. Facsimile edition. Facsimile of a children's story about a drunken father abandoning his children who then encounter an ogre: being an adaptation of an old fairy tale, but here rewritten to support the temperance movement. Charles Dickens severely criticised changing the words of old fairy tales. Originally published by David Bogue, London, in 1853, as part of George Cruikshank's Fairy Library. (One of a set of 35 handsome facsimiles in 28 slipcases.). Our Book No: 17011. $20 AUD.
18. Cyclops (1959). Cyclops Toys - 1959. Sydney: Cyclops & Lines Bros (Aust.). 28 pp. Paperback oblong large quarto, stapled pamphlet, very good condition, pictorial cover, black & white & single-colour photos, minor edgewear. A delightful illustrated catalogue of toys made by this Australian company, Cyclops & Lines Bros of Leichhardt, NSW (manufacturers of toys and baby carriages). Loosely inserted: Toy Price List, dated 1 July 1959 (4p). Our Book No: 15680. $180 AUD.
19. Day, Woman's (1997). Diana: Princess of Wales 1961 - 1997: Woman's Day: A Special Tribute. Sydney: Woman's Day. 24 pp. Ephemera, small quarto magazine format, stapled pamphlet, very good condition, colour text-photos. Our Book No: 11930A. $10 AUD.
20. Dean & Son, Publisher (1982). Cinderella: Dean & Son's Pantomime Toy Books with Five Set Scenes and Nine Trick Changes [Facsimile Editions, Osborne Collection of Early Children's Books, Toronto Public Library]. London / Tokyo: Bodley Head / Holp Shuppan. 10 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good plus condition, colour drawings (some pages smaller), adverts at rear, in cardboard slipcase. Facsimile edition. A children's pantomime booklet, originally published about 1880. The classic tale of Cinderella is told in verse. The centre pages consist of colour drawings on pages of different sizes which display a pantomime when the pages are flipped. (Pagination includes inside covers. One of a set of 35 handsome facsimiles in 28 slipcases.). Our Book No: 16934. $25 AUD.
21. Education, Department of; Morris, Katherine (illustrator) (1959). At the Farm. Sydney: Department of Education, New South Wales (NSW). unnum 50 pp. Paperback wide trade, good condition, dark blue flexible cover (lightly marked), stapled pamphlet, colour drawings, cover edges little frayed, staples lightly rusted, minimal foxing, corner tips covers & few pages little creased, pages faintly toned, faint stain bottom edge, small edge tears, minor scuffing, pencil annotation few pages, rubber stamps. (Estimated date, late 1950s.) Children's reader for New South Wales (NSW) schools. Cover sketch: farm animals. Fay and Don visit a farm and meet the Brown family and all the farm animals. Word list at the rear. No mention of the Infants Reading Committee. Our Book No: 29114. $15 AUD.
22. Elston, Glenn; Hocking, Greg; Woods, Tim (1992). [PLAYBILL] Hair: The Tribal Love Rock Musical. Melbourne: Elston Hocking and Woods / Production Hair 1990 Ltd. 32 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, card cover (stapled), black & white text-photos (some full-page), adverts, large crease top corner rear cover, minor edgewear. Playbill or souvenir brochure for this classic Pulitzer Prize winning musical, noted as starting a national tour by opening at the Footbridge Theatre, Sydney, January 1993. Staged by David Atkins, Graeme Blundell and Nigel Triffitt. Originally written by James Rado, Gerome Ragni and Galt MacDermot in New York in the 1960s. Our Book No: 16705. $15 AUD.
23. Express, Armidale (1970). Thunderbolt! (The Armidale Express and New England General Advertiser, Wednesday, May 25. 1870). Armidale, NSW: Armidale Express and Uralla Times. Unnum 24 pp. Paperback quarto, good condition, unstapled, black & white text-photos, many adverts, bottom corners little torn, pages very toned as usual, edgewear, in archival plastic sleeve. This supplement in the Armidale Express and Uralla Times newspaper celebrates the centenary of the shooting and death of the bushranger Thunderbolt by brave Captain Walker on Kentucky Creek near Uralla. Our Book No: 4203. $25 AUD.
24. Forbes, Derek (2002). Illustrated Playbills: A Study Together With a Reprint of "A Descriptive Catalogue of Theatrical Wood Engravings" (1865). Covent Garden, London: Society for Theatre Research. 134 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, drawings (playbills), corner tips few pages creased, minor edgewear. Detailed study of some of the thousands of old playbills that have survived, thus contributing to our understanding of early theatrical practices. Has chapters on definitions and early examples, playbills featuring animal subjects, those featuring human subjects. Plus an introduction to the 1865 catalogue prepared by E. J. Bath, case-studies of selected plays and their illustrations. Part II is a facsimile of the Bath catalogue of theatrical wood engravings. ISBN: 0854300724. Our Book No: 15378. $20 AUD.
25. Gathings, Evelyn (1988). Cat and Kitten Bookmarks: 30 Full-Color Designs. New York: Dover Publications. 6 pp. Paperback large quarto, stapled, thirty large (2'' x 7'') bookmarks, perforated for easy removal, very good plus condition, colour illustrations, minimal edgewear, staples lightly rusted, few tiny dents front cover. These 30 delightful cat characters were created by noted painter and illustrator Evelyn Gathings. Each bookmark has a caption on the back giving the cat's name and describing its activity. These bookmarks (five per page, perforated) will delight children and adults. A very special book for book and cat lovers everywhere. ISBN: 0486257843. Our Book No: 22953. $10 AUD.
26. Green, C. J. (1909). [INVOICE] C. J. Green & Son, Wholesale Ironmongers, Melbourne. Melbourne: C. J. Green & Son. 1 pp. Ephemera, invoice, quarto, very good condition, page lightly toned, few small marks, some edgewear (mostly top right corner). A single-page invoice from this business at 368 & 370 Post Office Place, Melbourne, dated May 5, 1909. The customer is Messrs Castle Bros [Kyneton]. Text in ink, with extra annotation in pencil. Purchase of 16 items for tota of Pounds 27.17.2, of which Pounds 11.15.5 is carried forward from a previous invoice. (The modern term for ironmonger is closest to "hardware store".). Our Book No: 4230. $20 AUD.
27. Groves, Derham; Ballarat, Black Jack of (1996). You Bastard Moriarty, Being a Consideration of the Collectability of Ephemera Related to the Greatest Detective that Never Lived: Sherlock Homes, Written by Black Jack of Ballarat. Melbourne: Littlewood Press. 180 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, marbled paper covers (with flap & title label), tipped-in pages endpapers, tipped-in letters & etchings, string bookmarks, autographs, looseleaf ephemera loosely inserted. (No 72 of a limited edition of 100 copies.) A handmade celebration of Sherlock Holmes, the greatest literary detective. With autographed tipped-in etchings and illustrations in colour and black and white. Tipped-in phone book pages on endpapers for Holmes, Moriarty and Watson. Ephemera, eg wine labels (J. C. Watson), inserted in pocket inside rear cover (access at base). ISBN: 1875718087. Our Book No: 16673. $120 AUD.
28. Hickmer, J. (1907). [INVOICE] J. Hickmer, Wholesale Manufacturer and Importer of Art Photo, Frames, Mouldings, Overmantels, Picture Frames, Pictures, Mount Boards, and all Trade Accessories, Melbourne. Melbourne: J. Hickmer. 1 pp. Ephemera, invoice, quarto, fair condition only, many small edge tears (with foxing), piece missing top left corner, page lightly toned, bottom right corner creased, edgewear. A single-page invoice from this business at 118 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne, dated August 2, 1907. The customer is Castle Bros, Kyneton. Text in ink, with extra five-line note in pencil at the bottom of the invoice. Our Book No: 4226. $20 AUD.
29. Hill, Edwin S. (1918). [INVOICE] Edwin S. Hill & Co., Court Hair Dressers & Perfumerers, Cutlers & Silversmiths, London. London: Edwin S. Hill. 1 pp. Ephemera, invoice, small quarto, good condition, page lightly toned, front & rear marked along edge, some edgewear, rubber stamp. Single-page invoice for this London business, 23 Old Bond Street (and at the Royal Automobile Club, Pall Mall). Customer is Richard Buesley(?), being account rendered. Text in ink. Payment received rubber stamp. Our Book No: 4224. $20 AUD.
30. Jamie, James (2011). Rimbaud in Java: The Lost Voyage. Singapore: EDM: Editions Didier Millet. 128 pp. Paperback small, very good condition, drawings, colour photos centre spread, novelty cover design (rounded corners). A fascinating blend of biography, travelogue and fiction charting renowned French poet Arthur Rimbaud's lost voyage. In 1876, he joined the Royal Army of the Dutch Indies and sailed for Java, where he promptly deserted and fled into the jungle. In the first book devoted to Rimbaud's lost voyage to Asia, novelist and critic Jamie James reviews everything that is known about the journey - from there he imaginatively reconstructs what the poet must have seen and what he might have done, vividly recreating life in 19th-century Java along the way. ISBN: 9789814260824. Our Book No: 15727. $10 AUD.
31. Jolliffe, Eric (1986). Jolliffe's Outback Featuring Saltbush Bill, no 119. Sydney: Jolliffe Studios. 82 pp. Paperback oblong quarto, very good condition, full-page black & white cartoons, two colour postcards rear cover, staples rusted, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. Lots more cartoon fun with Saltbush Bill and family. Black & white text-photo of Eric Jolliffe on reverse of front cover. Commentary on Cooma Cottage (Yass), grasshoppers, goannas. Rear cover consists of two colour postcards. Our Book No: 3647. $15 AUD.
32. Kellogg (No Date). Kellogg's All-Bran [Kellogg's Pep Wheat Flakes]. Sydney: Kellogg (Aust) Pty Ltd. N/A pp. Brochure, folded sheet, good plus condition, colour drawings, small repairs archival tape. This advertising brochure contains cereal information and nursery rhymes. Front text: "Clap hands. clap hands / Till Mother comes home./Mother has Pep / and Father has none./ Tear all along cut lines." The sheet (13 x 26 cm) is folded into three panels. The two outer panels are cut into three horizontal parts that can be folded over onto the middle panel to produce different scenes. Our Book No: 6615. $10 AUD.
33. Lehar, Franz (1975). [PLAYBILL] The Merry Widow. Sydney: Australian Ballet / Playbill Pty Ltd. Unnum 28 pp. Paperback quarto, stapled pamphlet, card cover, very good plus condition, adverts. Drama performed at the Opera House as a ballet which was directed by Sir Robert Helpman. There are a few full-colour drawings of the costumes that are used in the ballet, making this a very nice playbill to have in a Australian drama collection. Our Book No: 20635. $10 AUD.
34. Liquid Fuel Control Board, Commonwealth (1943). [RATION TICKETS] Eight Ration Tickets for Motor Spirit. Canberra: Department of Supply & Development. N/a pp. Each ticket: Ephemera, ticket very small oblong (4 x 6 cm), very good condition, single colour, blue or sepia (brown-coloured). Eight ration tickets issued by the Australian Government during World War 2 (WW2). There are four designs. 1: Two gallons, blue, expiring 31st Jan 1942 (x4). 2: Two gallons, blue, expiring 30th Sept 1943 (x1). 3: One gallon, blue, no expiry date (x1). 4: Two gallons, sepia, no expiry date (x3). Four are endorsed on the reverse side to "M. E. M. Bain", with control or license numbers. Our Book No: 17110. $80 AUD.
35. Macqueen, Kenneth; Duhig, J. V. (letter) & Lahey, Vida (biography) (1948). Adventure in Watercolour: An Artist's Story Written and Illustrated by Kenneth Macqueen: With a Letter from Professor J. V. Duhig, Biographical Summary by Vida Lahey: Also an Explanation of Technique by the Artist Himself. Sydney: Legend Press. Unnum 48 pp. Hardback folio (33.0 x 26.0 cm), dustjacket, very good condition (in good plus dustjacket), yellow cloth cover, colour plates (paintings) tipped-in, bottom edge untrimmed, top edge little marked, edges jacket toned & little soiled (piece missing top spine, edge tears mostly small), base spine bumped, some edgewear, non-author written dedication. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. (No 293 of a limited edition of 1100 autographed copies.) The renowned Australian artist was also a farmer from Queensland. Each of the 16 watercolour paintings is accompanied by a description on the facing page. They have a lyrical and decorative quality, and are inspired by his local countryside of the Darling Downs and the Moreton Bay area. Loosely inserted: greetings card (1p). Our Book No: 12596. $150 AUD.
36. McLachlan, Noel (1989). Waiting for the Revolution: A History of Australian Nationalism. Melbourne: Penguin Books. 388 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, full-page black & white cartoons, spine little faded as usual, page edges toned as usual, minor edgewear corners, old price marks, autograph (on loosely inserted compliments card). A controversial book by an academic historian, who traces the origins and distinctive features of Australian nationalism, and contends that the Gallipoli myth fulfilled Australia's revolutionary cult of the blood sacrifice. (Loosely inserted: Compliments card from the author, apparently to an unnamed historian cited in the book, stating that some historians will be displeased with this book.). ISBN: 0140089268. Our Book No: 3883. $25 AUD.
37. Melba, Nellie (1914). [PLAYBILL] Melba Patriotic Concert: Exhibition Building, Adelaide, 21st November, 1914 (Souvenir). City Not Stated: Publisher Not Stated / H.C.C. Print (Printer). 8 pp. Paperback small folio, very good condition, card cover (overlaps page edges), colour title page, single-colour borders, inside covers toned, staples rusted, minor edge tears, minor edgewear. A scarce patriotic playbill during World War 1 (WW1). The title page lists artists who have generously given their services: Madame Melba, Miss Doris Madden, Mr John Lemmone, Mr Fred C. Collier, Mr W. Burrell and the Adelaide Choral Society. Contains a programme guide, including the complete words of three popular songs: "God Save the King" (National Anthem), "The Old Hundreth", and "The Empire Flag". Our Book No: 16957. $120 AUD.
38. Newton, T. (1982). The New Game of the Mansion of Bliss: In Verse [Facsimile Editions, Osborne Collection of Early Children's Books, Toronto Public Library]. London / Tokyo: Bodley Head / Holp Shuppan. 16 pp. Paperback very small, very good plus condition, folio (very large) folded colour game sheet (superior cloth) loosely inserted, pictorial cardboard sleeve, all in cardboard slipcase. Facsimile edition. Facsimile of a children's game and instruction booklet (both fitted into a facsimile pictorial cardboard sleeve), originally published by W. & T. Darton (map-seller), London, in 1810. (One of a set of 35 handsome facsimiles in 28 slipcases.). Our Book No: 16939. $25 AUD.
39. Oakley, Barry (1993). The Craziplane (1st ed). Sydney, Rydalmere: Hodder & Stoughton. 141 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), pages little toned as usual, edges jacket little creased (reverse side lightly foxed), minor edgewear. First edition. Novel by Australian writer about a young novelist writing the biography of a great playwright, who gets entangled with his family. A funny tale of relationships. (Enclosed: review request letter to named journalist at Melbourne Herald, plus brochure. Mentions Oakley's key role at the Melbourne Pram Factory.). ISBN: 0340509864. Our Book No: 4236. $15 AUD.
40. Office, War (1955). Manual of Map Reading, Air Photo Reading and Field Sketching: Part 1: Map Reading. London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office (HMSO). 132 pp. Hardback small, no jacket as issued, very good condition, red cloth cover, figures, black & white & colour maps (some foldout), front endpapers toned, minor foxing & edgewear. New edition 1955 (originally published 1929). A standard comprehensive guide to map reading. Includes mapcraft, scales, conventional signs, shape of the ground, grid references (including pre-UTM and UTM in Britain), direction, prismatic compass, map setting and position finding, and map reading instructions. Many sample maps. Our Book No: 4124. $18 AUD.
41. Olympics (1956). Olympic Games, Melbourne 22 Nov - 8 Dec 1956: Official Programme for the 1956 Olympic Games. [Melbourne]: Organizing Committee XVIth Olympiad / Australian News and Information Bureau. n/a pp. Folded sheet, very good condition, colour drawings, map, pages lightly toned as usual. This large folded sheet opens out to 20 panes, which contain a program of events, a history of the Olympic Games, a map of Melbourne, and sketches of the main venues. Drawing of athlete handing the Olympic torch to another athlete (in front of a map of Australia) on front cover. Lithograph printing by P. C. Grosser, Melbourne. Our Book No: 9857. $15 AUD.
42. Opera, Australian (1978). [PLAYBILL] The Mastersingers of Nuremberg: Opera in Three Acts by Richard Wagner. Sydney: Playbill (Australia) Pty Ltd. Unnum 44 pp. Paperback large quarto, stapled, very good condition, cover & some pages brown-tinted, black & white text-photos, adverts. Performed at the Sydney Opera House in August and September, 1978. Conductor: Mark Elder. Producer: David Pountney. Our Book No: 15446. $15 AUD.
43. Orchestra, Sydney Symphony (1946). The Australian Broadcasting Commission Presents the Sydney Symphony Orchestra. Sydney: Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC). 18 pp. Paperback small octavo, card covers, stapled pamphlet (staples rusted), very good condition, black & white drawings, few text-photos & adverts. the programme guide for a concert on Saturday, 7th December, 1946. The Australian Broadcasting Commission, in conjunction with the NSW Government and the Municipal Council of Sydney, presents the Sydney Symphony Orchestra at the Town Hall, Sydney. Guest conductor: Joseph Post. Soloist: Eunice Gardiner. Includes old adverts from the 1940s. Our Book No: 21663. $15 AUD.
44. Phillips, H. (Harry) (1910). Views of the Far Famed Blue Mountains N.S.W. Katoomba, NSW: H. Phillips. Unnum 24 pp. Paperback oblong large folio (59 cm x 23.8 cm), good plus condition (internally very good), card cover (few small edge tears), black & white photos, colour photo tipped in inside front cover (reverse side little foxed), black cloth spine (repair), vertical fold (all pages), rear cover foxed, some internal foxing, edgewear. A collection of photographs by Harry Phillips (1873 - 1944), a noted photographer, printer and publisher. He published about 80 books of photography about the Blue Mountains and Sydney, and is best remembered for his kitsch postcards. Note on p24: "Photographed and printed throughout by H. Phillips, Katoomba, N.S.W." (Estimated date, about 1910.). Our Book No: 17015. $100 AUD.
45. Power, Thomas P. (1897). [INVOICE] Thomas P. Power, Saddlers Ironmonger & Manufacturer, Melbourne. Melbourne: Thomas P. Power. 1 pp. Ephemera, invoice, quarto, good plus condition, page lightly toned, bottom corners creased, little marked, two small holes, some edgewear, pen mark stripe. Single-page invoice for this business, 398-400 Little Bourke Street West, Melbourne, dated 10 March, 1897. Customer is Messrs J. H. Abbott & Co, Bendigo. Text in ink. The customer ordered bridles, stirrups, etc. Total is Pounds 10.18.9, of which Pounds 8.13.1 is carried forward from a previous invoice. Our Book No: 4220. $20 AUD.
46. Productions, View (1984). Early Australian Postcards: Collector's Edition. Sydney: View Productions. 54 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, stapled, colour & black & white & sepia (brown-coloured) photographs (postcards), minor edgewear. A photographic collection of early Australian postcards, being one or two postcards per page, and minimal text. The first and last three pages may have been intended to be cut out as the back of the postcard (used for writing a message) is reproduced on the reverse side. ISBN: 0908240538. Our Book No: 17068. $20 AUD.
47. Purcell, Leigh (1982). 50th Anniversary: Sydney Harbour Bridge 1932 - 1982 [ENVELOPE & PHOTOS]. Sydney: Daily Mirror. N/A pp. Photos in souvenir envelope, very good condition. Contents: four black & white photos. Envelope: cardboard, oblong small quarto format, flaps at back, sticker seal (rear flap scuffed from part sticker removal), minor edgewear. (Limited edition: no 977 of 1000 copies.) Souvenir envelope (designed by Purcell) containing photographs, published by the Sydney tabloid newspaper, the Daily Mirror, to mark the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Our Book No: 12299. $15 AUD.
48. Railton, James (1910). [INVOICE] Railton Bros, Wholesale and Retail Nurserymen and Seed Merchants, Melbourne. Melbourne: J. Hickmer. 1 pp. Ephemera, invoice, oblong octavo (18 x 20 cm), good plus condition, page lightly toned, minor edgewear. A single-page invoice from this business at 273 Swanston Street, Melbourne, dated August 17, 1910. The customer is Castle Bros, Kyneton. Text in pencil, with extra annotation in ink. Rubber stamp "James Railton" overprints business name Railton Bros. Our Book No: 4231. $20 AUD.
49. Rayner, E. O.; Nye, P. B. (1940). [MAP] Cloncurry Gold and Mineral Field Plan Showing Generalized Geology and Positions of Mines [Cloncurry Plate 1]. Australia: Northern Aerial and Geophysical Survey. N/a pp. Ephemera, large format folded map, very good condition, multicoloured drawing, sheet lightly toned, tiny pinholes along one edge, minor edgewear & foxing, rubber library stamp reverse side. A handsome collectible geological map of the Cloncurry mineral field in Queensland. Contains the facsimile signatures of assistant geologist Rayner and executive officer Nye, dated 1940. Our Book No: 4190. $30 AUD.
50. Savings Bank, South Australia (No Date). [BLOTTER] Savings Bank of South Australia .. Provides Every Facility for Systematic Saving. [Adelaide]: Savings Bank of South Australia. N/A pp. Blotter, very good condition, sepia (brown-tinted) sketch & text, corner creased. This blotter advertises the Savings Bank of South Australia. The sketch (left side of blotter) is two horses pulling a plough, with farm buildings in the background. The test includes the phrases: 48 branches; 370 agencies; 1200 school bank agencies; "The People's Bank". Our Book No: 2379. $15 AUD.
51. Sheldon, Capt E. G. (1942). Sheldon's Map Reading and Field Sketching: Self Instructor (Reprint ed). Sydney: Mingay Publishing. 128 pp. Paperback trade, fair plus condition, figures, colour foldout map inside front cover, internal foldout map (archival tape repair, little creased), covers little creased & marked (spine chipped), internal staples (very rusted), few page corner tips creased, edges little toned, minor foxing (mainly front endpapers), edgewear (edge tear rear cover), owner's written name. A collectible Australian instruction book on map reading, published during World War 2 (WW2), The author was chief instructor, First Australian Army Map Reading and Field Sketching School, and senior survey draftsman, NSW Department of Lands. Our Book No: 16696. $15 AUD.
52. Skinner, Dion H. (1983). Cigarette Cards: Australian Issues & Values (1st ed). Adelaide, Malvern: Renniks Books. 245 pp. Hardback large octavo, no jacket, pictorial cover, very good plus condition, black & white & colour & sepia text-photos, decorative endpapers, covers lightly scratched. This book is based on research by the author, the Cartophillic Society of Great Britain, and collectors throughout Australia between 1897 and 1934. Over 2000 coloured illustrations identifying every series, front and back, are catalogued in this edition. More than 12,000 listings with captions of individual cards with three values according to condition. A very special book for the collector, dealer, historian and student of cigarette cards. Our Book No: 25604. $25 AUD.
53. Solomons, V. C.; Denham, W. M. (1984). Sydney Trams on Postcards (1st ed). Sydney, Sutherland: South Pacific Electric Railway Co-Operative Society Limited. 64 pp. Paperback oblong, thick card covers, stapled (lightly rusted), very good condition, full-page black & white text-photos, spine little creased, edges lightly toned, minor edgewear, tiny biro annotation front cover. The postcard views produced in this book provide an insight into a Sydney of days gone by, when trams played a vital role in everyday life. The trams were a cheap, reliable and frequent service to the community. Edited by Solomons, layout by Denham. ISBN: 0909372144. Our Book No: 27641. $15 AUD.
54. Staatskapelle, Berlin; Kurz, Siegfried (conductor);Ehwald, Christian (conductor), & Rosel, Peter (soloist) (1986). Berlin Staatskapelle: Australian Tour 1986. Perth: Programme Production / Doreen Pallier & Veron Jones Design Studio. 12 pp. Paperback large quarto, card covers, stapled pamphlet, very good condition, colour photos, few full-page colour adverts, minor edgewear. A concert program for March, 1986 of the Berlin State Orchestra (Berlin Staatskapelle). The Festival of Perth arranged and managed the tour. The program guide includes adverts about Leeuwin Estate Winery, Swan Premium Lager and The Barrack House Group. Our Book No: 21937. $10 AUD.
55. Stott (1923). Stott & Hoare's Typewriting Manual: Touch Typewriting: Sections 1 & 2 (2 booklets). Sydney: Stott & Hoare's Business College. 32 + 42 pp. Each volume: Hardback small folio (30 x 21.3 cm), thick card cover (green cloth spine, little soiled), pages lightly toned, rubber stamps, edgewear. Volume 1 (fair condition): Front cover vertically torn (repaired), board exposed bottom corner front cover, owner's written name. Volume 2: good plus confition. Instruction booklets. Section 1 contains Lessons 1 - 52. Section 2 contains Lessons 51 - 69. Cover of both volumes has rubber stamp (over Stott & Hoare): "Chartres Business College amalgamated with". Loosely inserted: Remington Typewriter Keyboard Diagram (one sheet, edge tears repaired). Our Book No: 15015. $80 AUD.
56. Templevane (1920). [MATCHBOX LABEL] Templevane Safety Impregnated Matches Made in U.S.S.R. USSR: Templevane. 1 pp. Ephemera, matchbox label, good condition, large oblong format (33.5 x 14.3 cm), small hole right bottom corner, edgewear, pasted on brown paper backing sheet. A large label from a Russian (Soviet) matchbox dating from the 1920s. Our Book No: 4189. $30 AUD.
57. Tourist Association, Macquarie Valley (1964). The Macquarie Valley, New South Wales, for Your Inland Holiday. Wellington, NSW: Macquarie Valley Tourist Association (MVTA). 16 pp. Ephemera, pamphlet, one folded sheet of 16 leaves, very good condition, colour text-photos, maps. (Estimated date, 1964, Trove digitised newspaper.) Pamphlet about the historic tourist area in central west New South wales that includes the towns of Dubbo, Mudgee, Molong, Wellington and Gulgong, and the Burrendong Dam (nearing completion). Our Book No: 5607. $10 AUD.
58. Treborlang, Robert; Knight, Mark (illustrator) (1999). How to be Normal in Australia (8th ed). Sydney: Major Mitchell Press. 123 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white drawings. A popular, humorous and practical guide to the uncharted territory of Australian relationships. Secrets of normal Australians revealed. Tip-toe through the minefields! (Loosely inserted: Greeting card from Major Mitchell Press with a written and signed message from the author). ISBN: 1875614117. Our Book No: 4159. $10 AUD.
59. Tyrrell, Bill (compiler) (1978). Early Sydney Postcards: Book 1. Sydney: Doubleday. 32 pp. Paperback thin oblong, heritage pictorial cover, very good plus condition, stapled, black & white photos, front cover corner tip little creased, minimal edgewear. (Estimated date, 1978, Trove catalogue.) Bill Tyrrell lived in Sydney all his life and has an active interest in early Australian photography. Some years ago he inherited a magnificent collection of glass negatives from which these reproductions were available. The book has 34 picture postcards of Sydney City, suburbs and harbour, reproduced from original glass negatives from the libraries of Charles Kerry and Henry King. With actual dates being uncertain, the time span these pictures encompasses is 1880 - 1936. Pages are perforated so that postcards can be removed. ISBN: 0868240044. Our Book No: 21614. $10 AUD.
60. Tyrrell, Bill (compiler) (1978). Early Sydney Postcards: Book 2. Sydney: Doubleday. 32 pp. Paperback thin oblong, heritage pictorial cover, very good plus condition, stapled, black & white photos, minimal edgewear. (Estimated date, 1978, Trove catalogue.) Bill Tyrrell lived in Sydney all his life and has an active interest in early Australian photography. Some years ago he inherited a magnificent collection of glass negatives from which these reproductions were available. The book has 34 picture postcards of Sydney City, suburbs and harbour, reproduced from original glass negatives from the libraries of Charles Kerry and Henry King. With actual dates being uncertain, the time span these pictures encompasses is 1880 - 1936. Pages are perforated so that postcards can be removed. ISBN: 0868240052. Our Book No: 21615. $10 AUD.
61. Valentine (1945). A Holiday at the Seaside. City Not Stated: Publisher Not Stated, Valentine. 10 pp. Paperback narrow quarto, stapled pamphlet (novelty design, human shape), very good condition, colour & sepia (brown-coloured) drawings, minor edgewear, owner's written name. Estimated date, 1945. This novelty booklet has drawings that are similar in style (but not shape) to the book "A Holiday at the Seaside" by Penelope Malcolm, published by Valentine Publishing, Melbourne, 1940s (3 copies in the Trove catalogue). Our Book No: 14614. $80 AUD.
62. Virtue (1874). [PRINTS] Set of 10 Colonial Australian Engravings, Printed on White Card. London: Virtue & Co. N/A pp. Each print: Oblong small quarto, black & white engraving on white card, very good condition, minimal foxing (some sheets), minor edgewear. [NOT A BOOK] Consists of 10 prints of engravings of colonial scenes in Victoria, Australia (Virtue & Co, London). These engravings were originally published in a 2-volume book in the 1870s ("Australia" or "Australia Illustrated", by Edwin Carton Booth). These are individual prints (approx. date, 1874, Trove catalogue.) The 10 scenes and the illustrators are: Ovens River (N. Chevalier & W. Richardson); Lake Colac (N. Chevalier & W. Forrest); Mallee scrub, River Murray (N. Chevalier & W. Forrest); Valley of the Goulbourn (S. Prout & J. B. Allen); Mount Macedon (S. Prout & S. Bradshaw); the Basin Bank (N. Chevalier & W. Richardson); the Upper Goulburn (S.Prout & W. Forrest); the Dandenong Ranges (S. Prout & W. Richardson); Avoca River (S. Prout & T. Heawood); Mount Laura, Camperdown (J. C. Armytage & J. J. Crew). Our Book No: 14694. $40 AUD.
63. Waldron, Kevin (2014). Penny the Pirate (A Story That Screens Your Child's Vision). Sydney: OPSM Group Ltd / Saatchi & Saatchi. 28 pp. Paperback quarto, as new condition, colour drawings, map on endpapers. In plastic envelope with test kit. An innovative children's picture story that can be used as a prop for testing your child's vision. Comes in a plastic sleeve that includes a test kit (3D glasses, pirate eye patch, symbol key, spyglass and instruction booklet). ISBN: 9780646918396. Our Book No: 16978. $20 AUD.
64. White, Patrick; Armfield, Neil (director) (2000). [PLAYBILL] A Cheery Soul. Sydney: Playbill Pty Ltd / Sydney Theatre Company. Unnum 36 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, stapled pamphlet, card cover, black & white & colour text-photos & adverts. A playbill for this revival of Patrick White's play "A Cheery Soul", jointly produced by the Sydney Theatre Company, Company Belvoir, in association with Sydney Festival and the Sydney Opera House Trust. This production opened at the Drama Theatre, Sydney Opera House, on 30 December, 2000. Loosely inserted: Single-sheet brochure advertising a performance in Brisbane at the Suncorp Theatre in June 1992, also directed by Neil Armfield. Our Book No: 16589. $60 AUD.
65. Whites, Timothy (No Date). [ENVELOPE] Toilet Necessities at Little Cost. UK: Timothy Whites. N/A pp. Envelope, good condition (notably creased), sepia (brown-tinted) text-photos. This is an envelope by an English chemist shop (NOT a book). Cover words: "Toilet necessities at little cost. Timothy Whites where everyday necessities are cheaper. The reliable cash chemists. Branches throughout the south of England". Words on flap, reverse side: "Less cost - greater satisfaction at Timothy Whites". Our Book No: 7149. $10 AUD.
66. Whitman (1950). Tatters. Sydney: Golden Press / Colourtone (Printer). 8 pp. Paperback narrow octavo, very good condition, stapled (rusted), colour drawings, novelty edges (top edge wavy patten, bottom corner rounded), edgewear, non-author written dedication. (Estimated date, 1950s, Trove catalogue. Originally published by Whitman, USA, 1949.) Delightful little children's book about the adventure a pet dog Tatters. Edges have an unconventional wavy (novelty) design. Our Book No: 23588. $20 AUD.
67. Wills, Colin; Pidgeon, W. E. (WEP) (illustrator) (1982). Rhymes of Sydney (Reissue ed). Sydney: Pylon Press. 47 pp. Paperback quarto, card covers, stapled, very good plus condition, black & white drawings, bottom corner cover & pages creased, owner's rubber stamp, autograph (author's written name). This collectable book was first published in 1933. It is an exuberant memento of Sydney in the 1930s as seen through the eyes of poet and journalist Colin Wills. (From the Barry Humphries library. Affixed to inside front cover: signed & dated letter to Dame Edna from Dorothy Pidgeon, the cartoonist's wife.). ISBN: 0959359214. Our Book No: 21869. $15 AUD.
68. Witcombe, Eleanor (1949). [PLAYBILL] The Bushranger. Sydney, Mosman: Mosman Children's Theatre Club (MCTC). 4 pp. Folded sheet, single, good plus condition, pages creased & lightly toned. This small pamphlet lists the cast of this play for children. Also presents the story behind "The Bushranger". It is a tale of happenings on the old Bathurst Road during the turbulent days of the Gold Rush. The rear pages contains a notice for an exhibition of children's art, as well a list of committee members of the MCTC. Our Book No: 15471. $10 AUD.
69. Wrightson, Patricia; Horder, Margaret (illustrator) (1968). I Own the Racecourse! [and] Letter (1st U.K. ed). London: Hutchinson. 159 pp. Hardback dustjacket, minimal EX-LIBRARY, very good condition (in good dustjacket), edgewear jacket (flap creased), library markings (barcode, digits), paperclip marks first few pages, autograph (illustrator's written name & date), protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. Novel for young adults about Andy who believes he has bought a racecourse. Loosely inserted letter (minor foxing): Letter from Margaret Horder (the illustrator) to the publisher, in which she reveals the publisher had turned down her jacket designs and substituted "this curious affair". A unique item. ISBN: 0000852206. Our Book No: 15929. $40 AUD.
70. Wymark, Marjorie; Clark, Rev. Peter (No Date). The Macquarie Schoolhouse & St. John's Church Wilberforce (5th ed). City Not Stated: Publisher Not Stated. Unnum 20 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, stapled pamphlet, black & white text-photos. Pamphlet history of the Macquarie Schoolhouse (1820), and Saint John's Church (1859, Hawkesbury district, New South Wales. (Loosely inserted: Colour postcard, Ebenezer Church, built 1809.). Our Book No: 3918. $10 AUD.