INTERNET BOOKSHOP: SELLING BOOKS SINCE 1998
ORDER 2 OR MORE BOOKS: RECEIVE 20% DISCOUNT !!
PO Box 176, Annandale NSW 2038, Australia.
Phone: (02) 9550-1258 (late afternoon or message).
BOOKS FOR SALE:
TRANSLATED BOOKS ** TRANSLATORS ** TRANSLATION
(Mostly Foreign Languages into English).
Check this on our online database, updated weekly !!
All books are in stock (except for a few recent sales). Plus postage at cost.
We offer 20% discount for orders of 2 or more books.
1. Alejchem, Scholem (1914). Die Verlorene Schlacht Humoristische Erzahlungen [The Lost Battle: Humorous Narratives] [Vom Alten Stamm Bd. 4 [Old Stories Collection]]. Berlin: Judischer Verlag. 140 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket as issued, very good condition, olive cloth cover (black embossing, spine little faded), illustrated endpapers, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear, annotation front flyleaf. Humorous old narratives, translated from Yiddish into German. 1. Die verlorene schlacht. 2. Die wette. 3. Der gast. 4. Das grobe los. 5. Der topf. 6. Es ist nicht wahr. 7. Auf der wanderung. 8. Besuch in Berditschew. Auf der trambahn. Hotel Turkalia. Translation: 1 The lost battle. 2 The bet. 3 The host. 4 The rough going. 5 The pot. 6 It is not true. 7 On the hike. 8 Visit in Berdichev. On the tram track. Turkalia Hotel. Our Book No: 15460. $20 AUD.
2. Alisjahbana, S. Takdir; Anderson, Benedict R. (translation) (1981). Indonesia: Social and Cultural Revolution (Reprint ed) [Oxford in Asia Paperbacks]. Oxford: Oxford University Press (OUP). 206 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, endpaper maps, minor edgewear, small bump top edge front cover, minor foxing edges, fore-edge creased few pages, owner's written name. This book is best described in the author's own words 'as a contemplation of Indonesian life'. The book is written in the form of essays rather than a reasoned series of chapters. It is the study of Indonesian culture, an autobiography, because the author writes in a personal manner and draws upon his own experiences to illustrate his points, and a commentary on the often obscure and baffling course of Indonesian politics before and after independence. ISBN: 0196380820. Our Book No: 27515. $15 AUD.
3. Apuleius, Lucius; Graves, Robert (translator) (1950). The Transformations of Lucius: Otherwise Known as The Golden Ass [Penguin Literature Classics]. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. 298 pp. Paperback, good plus condition, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear spine ends. One of the true literature classics of Roman literature. A novel full of strange adventures and poetry. Our Book No: 21195. $10 AUD.
4. Aries, Philippe; Ranum, Patricia M. (translator) (1975). Western Attitudes Toward Death from the Middle Ages to the Present (Reprint ed). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. 111 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, black & white drawings, frontispiece, minor edgewear. Traces the Western attitudes toward mortality from the early medieval conception of death as the familiar collective destiny of the human race, to the modern tendency not to speak about death. ISBN: 0801817625. Our Book No: 26631. $10 AUD.
5. Arlacchi, Pino; Steinberg, Jonathan (translator) (1983). Mafia, Peasants and Great Estates: Society in Traditional Calabria (1st translated ed). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 212 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), tables, figures, edges lightly toned, top edge lightly foxed, reverse side jacket lightly foxed (faint foxing flaps, minor edgewear), faint foxing last two pages, owner's written name & date flyleaf. Written by a writer serving on the Italian Government Anti-Mafia Commission. Demonstrates that within the Italian region of Calabria there existed not one but a range of 'traditional' societies. Three are examined in detail: an area of independent peasant proprietors, producing crops on small plots of land,: one of market-oriented olive and wine production with an anarchic social structure based on the unpredictability of the harvest; and one dominated by great landed estates where the proprietors controlled a landless labor force. This book will be of interest to a wide range of sociologists, anthropologists, historians and development economists concerned with the nature of traditional societies and the impact of modernisation on them. ISBN: 0521251362. Our Book No: 27167. $20 AUD.
6. Arresto, C. G. H.; van Goor, S. & Jacobus, J. W. (translator) (1805). De Oost-Indien-Vaarer: Tooneelspel in Vier Bedrijven naar Het Hoogduitsch van C. G. H. Arresto (2nd ed). Amsterdam: H. Moolenijzer. 168 pp. Hardback small, good condition, no jacket, very good condition, marbled board covers (dark brown leatherette spine), vignette title page, pages little wavy (poor quality paper, minor creasing), untrimmed (edges roughly cut & toned), edgewear, minor annotation. Second edition. A play translated from German into Dutch. Title (in English): "The East-Indiaman: A stage play in three acts". Our Book No: 16590. $80 AUD.
7. Barnes, Jonathon (1987). Early Greek Philosophy (Reprint ed). London: Penguin Books Classics. 318 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition. Edited, translated and introduced by Jonathon Barnes.The works collected in this volume form the true foundation of Western philosophy, the base upon which Plato and Aristotle and their successors would eventually build. Early Greek philosophy relied on reasoning, and forged the first scientific vocabulary. Includes discussion of such topics as the Democritus atomic theory of matter and Pythagorean insights into mathematics. ISBN: 0140448152. Our Book No: 6502. $12 AUD.
8. Barroso, Gustavo; Cunninghame Graham, R. B. (translator) (1924). Mapirunga. London: Heinemann. 39 pp. Hardback small, jacket missing as common, good condition, quarter-bound (white vellum spine, cream paper-covered board covers), gilt title on front cover & spine, covers & pages lightly toned, minimal faint foxing (mostly edges). (No 190 of a limited edition of 350 copies, autographed by the translator. Originally written in the Spanish language by Gustavo Barroso, and here translated, with an extended preface by R. B. Cunninghame Graham. Brazilian fiction - a short tale of revenge and honor defended in the Sertao region of Brazil. Our Book No: 16072. $30 AUD.
9. Baudouin, Charles; Paul, Eden (translator) & Paul, Cedar (translator) (1945). Suggestion and Autosuggestion: A Psychological and Pedagogical Study Based upon the Investigations Made by the New Nancy School (2nd, reprint ed). London: George Allen & Unwin. 288 pp. Hardback small, jacket missing, blue cloth cover, good condition, front inner hinge little split (pages firm), cloth cover lightly flecked (spine lightly faded, minor edgewear), endpapers & edges lightly foxed, pages lightly toned, bookplate, non-author written dedication. An exposition of Coue's theory of autosuggestion as the explanation for hypnosis, and the Nancy School that practiced this theory. Translated from the French language. Our Book No: 13644. $10 AUD.
10. Bauerdick, Rolf; Dollenmayer, David (translator) (2013). The Madonna on the Moon (1st translated ed). London: Atlantic Books. 401 pp. Paperback thick trade, very good condition, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear corners. This crime fiction novel is set in a fictitious country. To emphasize its fictionality, the diacritics required by the Romanian spelling of the names of persons, places, and things have been dispensed with. In November 1957, as communism tightens its hold on Eastern Europe, strange events are beginning to upend daily life in Baia Luna, a small village at the foot of the Carpathian Mountains. Pavel Botev (15-yo) notices that the village's sacred Madonna statue has been stolen and the priest is found murdered in the rectory. Pavel's search for the answers to the mystery lead him into the frontiers of a new world, changing his life forever. Winner of the European Book Prize 2012. (First published as "Wie die Madonna auf den Mond Kam" in Germany.). ISBN: 9781848875043. Our Book No: 28983. $15 AUD.
11. Behrens, Theodor Heinrich; Stevens, Richard E. (translator) (1988). Microscopical Identification of Organic Compounds (Reprint ed). Chicago: Microscope Publications. 234 pp. Paperback quarto, thin card covers, very good condition, tables, few figures, minor edgewear corners, few tiny creases & edge tears front cover, owner's rubber stamps including edges. From the German original "Organische Mikrochemische Analyse" by Behrens-Kley, published by Leopold Voss, Leipzig 1922. This translation represents the first systematic classification in English of organic materials, based on the microscopical properties of crystalline compounds and their derivatives. Our Book No: 25600. $55 AUD.
12. Bermann, Richard A.; Reynolds Hapgood, Elizabeth (translator) (2010). Home from Sea: Robert Louis Stevenson in Samoa (Reprint ed) [R.L.S. in Samoa]. Honolulu, Hawaii: Mutual Publishing. 280 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, cover lightly scratched & creased, reader crease spine. Robert Louis Stevenson spent the last six years of his life in the Pacific Islands, where he wrote some of his finest books. This book is an exotic but factual account of the last two years in the life of "Tusitala", the Scottish novelist who won the hearts of the Samoan people for his artistry and compassion. ISBN: 9781566477888. Our Book No: 26502. $15 AUD.
13. Bernier, Francois (1909). Bernier's Voyage to the East Indies, Containing the History of the Late Revolution of the Empire of the Great Mogul [etc]. Calcutta: Society for the Resuscitation of Indian Literature / H. C. Dass, for Elysium Press. 203 pp. Hardback octavo, good plus condition, no jacket, rebound quarter-bound (blue speckled paper-covered boards, black cloth spine with vertical paper title label), title page moderately foxed, corner tip clipped title page & few rear pages, pages lightly toned (edges toned), cover corners worn, minor edgewear. First English translated edition. Title continues: "Together with the most considerable passages for five years following in that empire, to which is added, a letter to the Lord Colbert, touching the extent of Hindustan the circulation the Gold and Silver of the World, to discharge itself there; as also the Riches, Forces and Justice of the same; and the principal Cause of the Decay of the States of Asia, with an exact description of Delhi and Agra, together with  Some particulars making known the Court and Genius of the Moguls and Indians; as also the Doctrine and extravagant Superstitions and Customs of the Heathens of Hindustan, [II] The Emperor of Mogul's Voyage to the Kingdom of Kasmere in 1664, called the Paradise of the Indies". Our Book No: 13120. $100 AUD.
14. Betro, Maria Carmela; George, Amanda S. (translated) & Bockol, Leslie J. (editor) (1996). Hieroglyphics: The Writings of Ancient Egypt (1st stated, reprint ed). New York: Abbeville Press. 251 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), frontispiece, map, black & white photos & drawings, single-colour drawings, minor edgewear jacket (bottom corner little rubbed). This complete handbook details the secrets of the hieroglyphic writing of the Nile Valley, being a still-vivid look at the gods, the people, and the everyday life of the Ancient Egyptians. This fascinating book traces the origins and the meaning of each sign, as well as its graphic stylization. There is a complete glossary, a bibliography, and an index. The book is a valuable resource for the casual reader, students and specialists. ISBN: 0789202328. Our Book No: 28745. $30 AUD.
15. Blofeld, John (1980). Gateway to Wisdom: Taoist and Buddhist Contemplative and Healing Yogas Adapted for Western Students of the Way. Boulder: Shambhala. 214 pp. Paperback small octavo, good condition, few black & white text-photos, edges foxed & rubbed, edgewear, sticker mark front cover, rubber stamp. Largely a manual of the practice of contemplative yogas and healing practices adapted from Chinese and Tibetan teachings. For the use of Western meditators who do not have access to qualified masters as teachers. Blofeld is a British writer who lived for many years in China before the communist takeover. ISBN: 0394738780. Our Book No: 4003. $10 AUD.
16. Boal, Augusto; McBride, Charles A. (translator) & McBride, Maria-Odilia Leal (translator) (2011). Theatre of the Oppressed (Reprint ed). New York: Theatre Communications Group. 197 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, edges lightly toned as common, minor edgewear. Combines dramatic analysis and practice, making it indispensable to those interested in drama theory as well as performance techniques. He creates a useful theatre that is entertaining, but also acts as a kind of social therapy. ISBN: 9780930452490. Our Book No: 26306. $10 AUD.
17. Bohm, Carl; Morgan, Mrs John P. (1915). Still as the Night (Still wie die Nacht): Song [Plate: B4331]. Melbourne: Allan & Co. 6 pp. Paperback quarto, looseleaf (toned tape remnants at joins), good condition, covers minimally foxed, little loose at fold repaired, pages little toned, minor edgewear. (Estimated copyright, 1910s - Trove catalogue.) Sheet music for this old German Love song, Opus 326, no 27. No 2 style underlined. Lyrics in German and English languages. English lyrics by Mrs Morgan, the only translation authorised by the publisher. By arrangement with Alfred Lengnick & Co., London. Our Book No: 14853. $10 AUD.
18. Bohny, Nicholas (1982). The New Picture Book, being Pictorial Lessons on Form, Comparison, and Number, for Children Under Seven Years of Age, with Explanations [Facsimile Editions, Osborne Collection of Early Children's Books, Toronto Public Library]. London / Tokyo: Bodley Head / Holp Shuppan. 36 pp. Hardback oblong folio, very good plus condition, colour plates, pictorial board cover (red cloth spine), in cardboard slipcase. Facsimile edition. The 36 single-sided pages of colour drawings, two or three per page, each picture of familiar things, has a caption underneath asking questions about the picture. Originally published in Germany, 1850, then (English translation) in Edinburgh by Edmonston & Douglas, 1858. By German educator, who believed that children initially learn by doing and visualising pictures. Inspired by Froebel's Kindergarten movement, involving creative play. (One of a set of 35 handsome facsimiles in 28 slipcases.). Our Book No: 16943. $50 AUD.
19. Bolliger, Max; Lenica, Jan (illustrator); Bell, Anthea (translation) (1986). The Magic Bird (1st ed). London: Andersen / Hutchinson of Australia. Unnum 24 pp. Hardback small quarto, no jacket, very good condition, pictorial cover, full-page colour drawings, cover corners bumped, tiny tear at cover join to spine, spine ends little bumped, minimal EX-LIBRARY (rubber stamp & label remains inside rear cover), top corner tips few pages little creased. A children's picture story, being a German fable about reconciliation. The last giant and the last dwarf on earth spend their time tormenting each other until they unite to try to save a little bird's life. The bright drawings will appeal to all ages. ISBN: 0862641462. Our Book No: 27470. $20 AUD.
20. Bonhoeffer, Dietrich; Noble, Bernard (translator) & Wolf, Ernst (introduction) (1962). Act and Being. London: Collins. 192 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), flyleaves & edges lightly foxed, owner's rubber stamps (crossed out), minor text annotation, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. One of the German theologian's earliest writings, presented to the University of Berlin in 1931. Its two themes are transcendental philosophy and ontology, seen as underlying two theological tendencies: theology of act, and theology of being. Our Book No: 13938. $20 AUD.
21. Boulle, Pierre; Fielding, Xan (translator) (1984). The Bridge on the River Kwai (Reprint ed). Isle of Man: Fontana Books. 157 pp. Paperback, very good condition, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. Cover subtitle: "His famous novel of British POWs in the hell of a Japanese labour camp". ISBN: 0006161189. Our Book No: 24791. $10 AUD.
22. Brahms, Johannes; Whistler, Robert (translator) (1931). Brahms: 15 Selected Songs - English and German Words: Book Two [Plate: 3083]. London: Alfred Lengnick & Co. 64 pp. Paperback large quarto, good plus condition, spine torn & repaired, corners little worn, pages lightly toned. (Copyright date: 1931.) Sheet music from the German composer. Low Voice underlined. Poems that inspired some of the best-loved songs of Brahms, in dual English and German text. The 15 are: Love and the Lilac Flower; Twilight; Nightingale; On the Lake; Swallow From Over the Sea; Constancy; No Longer to Entreat You; Ever Lighter; The Message; To a Violet; Haven (In How Kind a Fashion); Why Go Barefoot, Pretty One; Parting; Serenade; Roses Three. Our Book No: 13882. $18 AUD.
23. Breunesse, Caroline; McCreadie, Catherine (translator) (1997). Visiting Vincent van Gogh [Adventures in Art]. Munich: Prestel-Verlag. 28 pp. Hardback small quarto, pictorial cover, very good plus condition, colour drawings. This series opens up the world of art to children of all ages. This very special children's picture book visits the different places where the famous Dutch artist lived and worked, and shows how he saw the world which he captured in his brightly coloured paintings. ISBN: 3791318764. Our Book No: 25128. $12 AUD.
24. Brome, Vincent (1982). Ernest Jones: Freud's Alter Ego (1st p/b ed). London: Caliban Books. 250 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, rear cover corner creased, sticker mark, old price marks. Comprehensive biography of the controversial British translator of Sigmund Freud's works. Based on numerous letters and private papers. Jones was a close associate of Freud for 30 years, and became a power behind the throne, including manipulating psychoanalytic history. ISBN: 0904573974. Our Book No: 1933. $15 AUD.
25. Bruna, Dick (1997). Miffy at the Zoo (Reprint ed). Sydney: ABC Books. Unnum 28 pp. Hardback small square, very good condition, pictorial cover, full-page colour drawings. A children's picture story about Miffy's visit to the zoo. The delightful drawings and easy to read text will bring a smile to children and adults alike. (Original German edition originally published in 1963.). ISBN: 0733305555. Our Book No: 20864. $10 AUD.
26. Camus, Albert; Bower, Anthony (translator) & Read, Sir Herbert (foreword) (1964). The Rebel (Reprint ed). Harmondsworth: Penguin / Hamish Hamilton. 269 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, top corner creased front cover, minor edgewear. This classic book is critical examination of modern society in Europe today, informed by precise historical knowledge of the past two centuries of its social development. Our Book No: 24784. $10 AUD.
27. Carter, Paul; Lewis, Ruark (1999). Depth of Translation: The Book of Raft. Melbourne, Burnley: NMA Publications. 148 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white & colour text-photos, covers lightly rubbed, base spine lightly bumped. (Limited edition of 1000 copies.) This book is a reflection and commentary by both writers on "Raft", an artwork by Lewis in the Art Gallery of NSW, representing translated words (myths) from the Arrennte people. Two forms of translation emerge. The first is literal, ie, translation of Aboriginal texts that reflect Carl Strehlow (the missionary anthropologist) and his son (Ted, the Aboriginal classicist). The second is evocative - eg, it marks the blurred boundaries between Carl's secular agony and sacred epiphany. ISBN: 0957754906. Our Book No: 13334. $25 AUD.
28. Cassinelli, Gino Del Sante (editor); Huaman Chang, Daniel (photos) & Light, Stephen (translation) (2006). Flowers of Machu Picchu Including Orchids (1st ed). Peru: Publisher Not Stated. 120 pp. Paperback wide trade, card covers (with flaps), very good condition, map, colour text-photos (some full-page), faint foxing title page & top edge inside rear cover, small dent top edge rear cover, minor edgewear. This book describes and illustrates 96 of the most distinctive flowers of the Machu Picchu Historical Sanctuary. It is a simple field guide designed for the non-specialist visitor walking any section of the Inca Trail or touring the citadel of Machu Picchu in Peru. ISBN: 9972917223. Our Book No: 27147. $30 AUD.
29. Chirichigno, Patrizia (editor); Mugnai, Lisa (chef);Hili, John Luke (dietician), & Dryburgh, Shona (translator) (2009). Portuguese Cooking (Reprint ed). Florence, Italy: Casa Editrice Bonechi. 127 pp. Paperback small quarto, thick card covers (with flaps), very good plus condition, colour photos, minor edgewear. This book is an unforgettable journey into the wonderful flavours and colours of this fascinating country. The flaps inside the covers give a rich description of Portugal and the people as well as the foods that make up the culture of Portugal. ISBN: 9788847609211. Our Book No: 26622. $18 AUD.
30. Cleary, J. C. (1991). Worldly Wisdom: Confucian Teachings of the Ming Dynasty (1st stated ed) [Shambhala Dragon Editions]. Boston: Shambhala. 172 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, illustrated endpapers, edges & pages lightly toned, small scuff rear cover, minor edgewear. This book has a selection of passages from leading Chinese thinkers of the later Ming dynasty (16th-17th centuries), a peak period of Confucian creativity influenced by Buddhism and Taoism. Translated and edited by Cleary. ISBN: 0877736014. Our Book No: 27929. $15 AUD.
31. Cleary, Thomas (1995). Buddhist Yoga: A Comprehensive Course (1st ed). Boston: Shambhala. 109 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, edges minimally foxed, minor edgewear. This book presents a landmark translation by Thomas Cleary of a classical source book of Buddhist yoga. ISBN: 1570620180. Our Book No: 20238. $10 AUD.
32. Cleary, Thomas (1997). The Five Houses of Zen (1st stated ed) [Shambhala Dragon]. Boston: Shambhala. 167 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear, cover corners lightly worn, faint foxing edges, sticker marker front flyleaf. This book presents the Zen Buddhist teachings that arose in China during the ninth and tenth centuries. Many of the teachings presented here are translated for the first time by Thomas Cleary. ISBN: 1570622922. Our Book No: 26410. $13 AUD.
33. Cleary, Thomas (1999). Zen and the Art of Insight (1st stated ed) [Shambhala Dragon]. Boston: Shambhala. 159 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, decorative free flyleaves, minor edgewear, bump top edge near spine, tiny scuff top spine, base spine sightly rubbed. Cleary (selector & translator) has gathered key selections from throughout the Prajnaparamita - to present the key teachings as exercises in learning freedom. ISBN: 1570625166. Our Book No: 27243. $15 AUD.
34. Comenius, Joannes Amos; Bowen, James (introduction) (1967). Orbis Sensualium Pictus [Facsimile of the Third London Edition of 1672]. Sydney: Sydney University Press (SUP). 42 + 16 + 320 pp. Hardback small, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), edges faintly foxed, minor edgewear jacket (faintly marked). This classic school textbook is famous for being the first picture book for children, containing 150 chapters and woodcuts. First published in a Latin-German edition at Nuremberg in 1658, it was an immediate success. Within a year an English version appeared, followed by many other languages. Its great success was due in part to its originality - the author's inclusion of translations in the vernacular, and particularly his use of illustrations. The current facsimile is of the third English edition, 1672, and includes commentary by James Bowen, University of New England, Armidale. Our Book No: 15949. $20 AUD.
35. Comenius, Johann A.; Hoole, Charles (translator) (1982). Orbis Sensualium Pictus: Visible World [Facsimile Editions, Osborne Collection of Early Children's Books, Toronto Public Library]. London / Tokyo: Bodley Head / Holp Shuppan. 204 pp. Hardback very small, very good plus condition, light brown board cover (gilt lettering), black & white drawings, text in two columns, in cardboard slipcase. Facsimile edition. Facsimile of the classic children's education book (12th English edition, 1777, with woodcuts replacing the previous engravings). His book pioneered the use of pictures to teach children about the world. Originally published in Germany in 1657. The first English edition (The Visible World) was in 1658. Parallel text in English and Latin. (One of a set of 35 handsome facsimiles in 28 slipcases.). Our Book No: 16958. $25 AUD.
36. Cragg, Kenneth (1995). Readings in the Qur'an: Selected and Translated With an Introductory Essay (Reprint ed). London: Fount / HarperCollinsReligious. 389 pp. Paperback thick trade, very good condition, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear, sticker mark inside rear cover. This new translation into lucid modern English opens the way to a fuller meeting with the mind of the Qur'an [Koran], for both new readers and scholars. Abridged to two-thirds of its original length, the readings present the whole substance of the Qur'an. ISBN: 0006279597. Our Book No: 22157. $10 AUD.
37. Crozet, Lieut. Julien Marie; Roth, Henry Ling (translator); Boose, Jas R. (1891). Crozet's Voyage to Tasmania, New Zealand, and the Ladrone Islands, and the Philippines, in the Years 1771 - 1772. With a Preface and Brief Reference to the Literature of New Zealand by Jas. R. Boose, Librarian of the Colonial Institute (1st English ed). London: Truslove & Shirley. 148 pp. Hardback (22.4 x 15.0 cm), original publisher's brown cloth cover (little faded, notably top half front cover), gilt spine lettering, good plus condition, black endpapers, top edge gilt, appendices, index, fold-out single-colour map (small tear near spine), black & white plates (including frontispiece), black & white drawings (some full-page, one fold-out), front inner hinge lightly split, corners lightly bumped (spine ends chipped), edgewear. (First English language edition. Limited edition of 500 copies, this being copy 454, initialled by the translator.) Originally published in French in 1783, edited from Crozet's papers by the Abbe Rochon. The only printed account of a voyage to search for Terra Australis to serve as an alternate French base on the route to India, and thus cut off British shipping lanes in times of war. They discovered the Crozet Islands and visited Tasmania. On reaching New Zealand, Captain Marion Dufresne and 26 of his crew were killed by Maoris at the Bay of Islands. Crozet became captain of the Mascarin on its homeward journey via Guam, the Philippines, and Mauritius. Our Book No: 12816. $400 AUD.
38. Cuvier, Georges; Pietsch, Theodore W. (editor) (1995). Historical Portrait of the Progress of Ichthyology, from its Origins to Our Own Time (1st ed) [Foundations of Natural History]. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. 366 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), tables, figures (including frontispiece), owner's sticker, protected by removable archival plastic sleeve. A classic French text, in English translation, that traces the development of the science of the study of fishes (ichthyology). He also outlines a criteria for classification of fishes. (Taken from the first volume of his 22-volume Histoire Naturelle des Poissons.). ISBN: 0801849144. Our Book No: 12953. $50 AUD.
39. Daudet, Alphonse (1887). Sappho: Parisian Manners. Paris: E. Guillaume et Cie. 364 pp. Hardback small octavo, no jacket, good condition, half-bound (pale green cloth covers & patterned leather spine & corners), black & white drawings, two title pages (first in colour), top edge gilt, other edges roughly cut & toned, small piece missing top spine, corners bumped, rear hinge little split (pages firm), endpapers tone & foxed. Novel about life in Paris. Illustrated by Rossi, Myrbach, etc., engraved by Guillaume Brothers (illustrator). Though published in Paris, this is an English-language translation. Bound in (smaller page size): Translator's note (4p). Our Book No: 16580. $35 AUD.
40. de Alarcon, Pedro Antonio (2004). The Three-Cornered Hat. London: Hesperus Classics. 100 pp. Paperback trade (with flaps), very good plus condition. One of the best-loved Spanish novels of all times, based on a traditional ballad. A hilarious tale of lust, intrigue and corruption set in 19th-century Andalusia. ISBN: 1843910802. Our Book No: 15785. $10 AUD.
41. de Dillmont, Therese (1920). Encyclopedia of Needlework (Revised & Enlarged ed). Mulhouse, France: D.M.C. Library / Printed by Societie Anonyme DMC. 800 pp. Hardback thick very small, no jacket as issued, very good condition, olive green cloth cover (spine faintly faded), black patterned endpapers, top edge gilt, colour & black & white plates, black & white drawings, front hinge little split (pages firm), minor edgewear. Published by Dollfus-Meig & Co (DMC), now 940,000 copies in print. Part of the DMC Library of books explaining needlework (listed on rear pages). This classic encyclopedia was initially published in French in 1886. An undated early English translation (this copy estimated about 1920). This revised and enlarged edition contains 11 coloured plates and over 1000 drawings. Dillmont owned a string of shops in European capitals, and was a pioneer in promoting needlework as a hobby. Our Book No: 16936. $60 AUD.
42. Derrida, Jacques; Bennington, Geoff (translator) & McLeod, Ian (translator) (1987). The Truth in Painting (1st English ed). Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 386 pp. Paperback octavo, good plus condition, black & white drawings, spine ends lightly bumped, tiny scuff top spine, small creases covers, some edgewear corners. The four essays in this book, translated from French, constitute the author's most explicit and sustained reflection on art work as pictorial artefact, a reflection partly by way of philosophical aesthetics. ISBN: 0226143236. Our Book No: 27800. $20 AUD.
43. Didi-Huberman, Georges; Hartz, Alison (translator) (2003). Invention of Hysteria: Charcot and the Photographic Iconography of the Salpetriere (1st translated ed). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. 373 pp. Paperback small quarto, good plus condition, black & white photos, tiny mark fore-edge last few pages, minor edgewear corners, green texta highlighting few pages, faint old price marks flyleaf. Heavy. Traces the intimate and reciprocal relationship between the disciplines of psychiatry and photography in the late 19th century. The photos were taken at the Salpetriere Hospital, the notorious Parisian asylum for the insane and incurable women. The medical teacher and clinician Jean-Martin Charcot directed the taking of the photos, many of which are reproduced in this book. ISBN: 0262541807. Our Book No: 28147. $20 AUD.
44. Doyle, John W. (1948). Adam: A Play: Translated from the Anglo-Norman. Sydney: Shakespeare Head Press. 77 pp. Hardback small, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white plates, few tiny edge tears jacket (lightly marked), tiny bump top corner cover. This is the first English version of Adam, the greatest surviving medieval vernacular play. The present translation by John Doyle has been made from Professor Studer's edition of the unique manuscript in the Tours Municipal Library, London. Our Book No: 23980. $12 AUD.
45. Empiricus, Sextus; Bury, R. G. (translator) (1990). Outlines of Pyrrhonism [Great Books in Philosophy]. Amherst Buffalo, NY: Prometheus Books. 283 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minor edgewear & rubbing corners. A classic of skeptical philosophy written about 380 AD. The author lived in both Rome and Alexandria, Egypt. ISBN: 0879755970. Our Book No: 12063. $10 AUD.
46. Ernst, Carl W.; Lawrence, Bruce B. (2002). Sufi Martyrs of Love: The Chishti Order in South Asia and Beyond (1st ed). New York: Palgrave Macmillan. 241 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, few black & white & text-photos, map. Sufism is the mystical branch of Islam. Provides access to the voices of Sufi authorities through the translation of texts being offered in English for the first time (particularly the Chishti Order in India and neighboring countries). It also offers a critical perspective on Western attitudes toward Islam and Sufism, confronts the prejudices of academics and the media, and clarifies the contemporary importance of Sufism from Asia to America. ISBN: 1403960275. Our Book No: 22671. $15 AUD.
47. Expedition Supporter's Association, Shirase Antarctic; Dagnell, Lara (translator) & Shibata, Hilary (translator) (2011). The Japanese South Polar Expedition 1910 - 12: A Record of Antarctica. Bluntisham, Huntingdon / Eccles, Norwich: Bluntisham Books / Erskine Press. 414 pp. Hardback large octavo, very good condition, red boards (gilt title & decorations), map, black & white text-photos & drawings, colour photos, tables, top spine little marked & bumped, autograph (translators written names title page). Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. This Antarctic expedition was Japan's first venture into the world of international exploration. This account of the expedition is based on the records, reports and statements of those who took part in the expedition, both expedition members and the officers and crew of Kainan-maru. There are 60 pages of plates showing photos taken by the Japanese Antarctic Expedition, about 50 sketches of the polar regions, four three-tone colour reproductions, and a double-page Colortype photoengraving. A great piece of history for anyone interested in Antarctica. ISBN: 9781852971090. Our Book No: 28468. $80 AUD.
48. Fauchery, Antoine; Chisholm, A. R. (translation) (1969). Letters from a Miner in Australia (1st p/b translated ed). Melbourne: Georgian House. 105 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, few black & white photos & drawings, frontispiece, small scuff base spine, faint foxing edges, pages faintly toned, spine little faded, spine edges lightly rubbed, minor edgewear corners, name crossed out inside front cover. This book, first published in French in 1857, was known to very few Australian readers until this first English translation was published in 1965 as a hardcover. The author was mostly previously known locally as a photographer. He provides an unparalleled account of Melbourne and the Victorian goldfields at the height of the goldrush in the 1850's. During his two year stay which Fauchery describes in the book, he gained considerable experience as a miner and a goldfields storekeeper. An interlude in Melbourne as the proprietor of Cafe Estaminet Francais is an account of a rapidly developing Melbourne in which the elegant city life is appearing. Our Book No: 29025. $18 AUD.
49. Ferranti, Marie; Brown, Andrew (translator) (2005). The Princess of Mantua (1st translated ed). London: Hesperus Press. 116 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket, top edge lightly toned. The author has used historical facts and documentary references, to write this docufiction historical novel (faction). It is set in France in 1433. The ten-year-old Barbara von Brandenburg leaves her native Germany to marry the Prince of Mantua, Ludovico Gonzaga. Translated from French. ISBN: 1843917025. Our Book No: 29068. $15 AUD.
50. Fest, Joachim C. (1970). The Face of the Third Reich: Portraits of the Nazi Leadership (English ed). New York: Ace Books. 605 pp. Paperback thick trade, good condition, coloured edges faded, pages lightly toned, white background covers lightly marked, texta mark front cover & spine, old price marks. The author focuses on one major figure per chapter to describe the lives of the Nazi leaders of the Third Reich. Our Book No: 24657. $10 AUD.
51. Fijlstra, Rob; Wullings, Harry; Ellis, Jonathan (translator) & de Jeu-Horwin, Amie (translator) (2004). Honesty - the Best Policy: A Remedy Against Alienation, Cynicism and Powerlessness. London: Cyan / Scriptum. 157 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good dustjacket), tables, figures, minor edgewear jacket. Written so that readers can improve their life and fully participate in society. ISBN: 1904879144. Our Book No: 24846. $15 AUD.
52. Finzi, Roberto; Jackson, Maud (1999). Anti-Semitism from Its European Roots to the Holocaust (1st translated ed) [Windrush History of the 20th Century]. Gloucestershire: Windrush Press. 127 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, black & white & colour sketches & photos, few cartoons, colour maps, minor edgewear. Succinct history of the major expressions of modern anti-Semitism from the 19th century to the present day, including the infamous Dreyfus case. There are over 100 archive photos, colour maps & illustrations. ISBN: 1900624168. Our Book No: 25666. $13 AUD.
53. Flournoy, Theodore (Th.); Jung, C. G. (foreword);Cifali, Mireille (commentary), & Shamdasani, Sonu (editor) (1994). From India to the Planet Mars: A Case of Multiple Personalities with Imaginary Languages. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. 457 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket as issued, black cloth cover, as new condition. (Originally published in English, translated from French, in 1900 - this is 1994 edition.) Psychology professor (University of Geneva) investigates a famous medium, Helene Smith, who claimed reincarnation as a Queen in 15th century India, as well as reincarnation on the Planet Mars! The 1900 (1st English) edition was an unstated abridgement. All passages, including Flournoy's preface, is available in this volume for the first time in English. ISBN: 0691034079. Our Book No: 14692. $40 AUD.
54. Fremantle, Francesca; Trungpa, Chogyam (2000). The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo by Guru Rinpoche According to Karma Lingpa (Reprint ed) [Shambhala Dragon Editions]. Boston: Shambhala South Asia / Printed in India. 119 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, bottom corner creased & sticker mark rear cover, minor edgewear. This ancient scripture was traditionally read aloud to the dying to help them attain liberation. The current translation emphasizes the practical advice that the book offers to the living as well. The insightful commentary by Fremantle and Trungpa explains the teachings about human psychology. Of interest to people concerned with death and dying as well as those who seek spiritual understanding in everyday life. ISBN: 1569571260. Our Book No: 10673. $12 AUD.
55. Fulop Kepner, Susan (1996). The Lioness in Bloom: Modern Thai Fiction About Women [Voices From Asia Series]. Berkeley: University of California / Publisher's Inc. 310 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, minor edgewear. Translations of fiction by Thailand's foremost 20th-century writers. Included are stories of the young and the aged, the rural and the cosmopolitan, the joyous and the despairing. The editor provides a detailed introduction, biographical notes on the writers, and a list of further readings. This anthology of short stories and novel excerpts presents a compelling portrayal of the many differing realities of Thai women's lives in the 20th century. ISBN: 0520089030. Our Book No: 27896. $15 AUD.
56. Geda, Fabio; Curtis, Howard (translator) (2011). In the Sea There are Crocodiles: The Story of Enaiatollah Akbari. Oxford: David Fickling Books. 211 pp. Hardback small, dustjacket, map, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket, pages faintly toned. One day, a 10-year-old boy named Enaiatollah wakes up to find his mother gone. He is on the border of Pakistan, and he is alone. In this amazing true story, the author describes Enaiatollah's five-year journey from Afghanistan to Italy. His ordeal takes him through Pakistan, Iran, Turkey and Greece, enduring unimaginable hardships and challenges. The book is based on a true story, but because Enaiatollah did not remember it all, the author and Enaiatollah reconstructed his journey to recreate a chronology for his fragmented memories. Thus a work of fiction, though based on Enaiatollah's experience. (Translated from the Italian.). ISBN: 9780857560087. Our Book No: 29052. $12 AUD.
57. Gernhardt, Almut (illustrator); Gernhardt, Robert; Talbot, Kathrine (translator) (1980). What a Day! (1st translated ed). London: Jonathon Cape. Unnum 28 pp. Hardback small quarto, pictorial cover, very good condition, delightful colour drawings, spine ends & cover corners little rubbed, flyleaves & title page little toned & foxed, edges lightly foxed. A children's picture book originally published in Germany under the title "Was fur ein Tag" in 1978. A collection of verse and sketches about cats. The life-like illustrations would appeal to any age. ISBN: 0224018442. Our Book No: 29105. $15 AUD.
58. Gessner, Solomon (1776). New Idylles, Translated by W. Hooper M. D., with a Letter to M. Fuslin, on Landscape Painting and the Two Friends of Bourbon, a Moral Tale by M. Diderot (1st ed) [New Idyls, by Solomon Gessner]. London, Ludgate Hill: S. Hooper (Printed by G. Robinson, Paternoster Row). 129 pp. Hardback quarto (28.5 x 19.5 cm), full-leather cover, original leather-covered boards (scratched, moderate edgewear), presumed new leather spine (raised bands, green title label, gilt motifs & title), new endpapers, very good condition, black & white full-page engravings, black & white vignette (head and tail) engravings, minor foxing some pages, edges toned. Heavy (1.0 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. First edition. Spelling note: "Idylles" on title page, but "Idyls" on page facing title page and on spine. Contains copperplate engravings: nine full-page plates and 13 vignettes. Our Book No: 14789. $240 AUD.
59. Giner, Francois; Desmazieres, Malissa (translator) (2011). Heart of Arnhem Land: A Memoir. Sydney, Woollahra: Longueville Media. 236 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, colour photos, minor edgewear, light creases front cover. The author had his first look at northern Australia in 1974, and this became the start of a 36-year sojourn and adventure, far from his hometown of Lodeve in southern France. This book is a personal journey of discovery and self-discovery, but above all it is cry for a beloved Aboriginal community whose culture lies on the edge of extinction. ISBN: 9781920681760. Our Book No: 26236. $34 AUD.
60. Goldsmith, Merle (1994). The Trail Blazers: Pioneers of the South American Missionary Society. Sydney, Ryde: South American Missionary Society (SAMS). 132 pp. Paperback wide trade, very good plus condition. Chapter-long biographies of pioneers of the South American Missionary Society (SAMS), a division of the Anglican Church. Includes the first martyr, the first translator, the first bishop, the "David Livingstone" of South America, and the first Australian missionary. ISBN: 095912473X. Our Book No: 14404. $12 AUD.
61. Goodspeed, Edgar J.; Hadas, Moses (introduction) (1989). The Apocrypha: An American Translation (Reprint ed). New York: Vintage / Random House. 495 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, top edge lightly foxed, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. This American translation by Goodspeed of the missing books of the Bible was first published in 1938. ISBN: 0679724524. Our Book No: 12386. $15 AUD.
62. Grass, Gunter; Heim, Michael Henry (translator) (1999). My Century (1st ed). London: Faber & Faber. 280 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket, tiny spot top edge, pages lightly toned. By winner of Nobel Prize for Literature, 1999. A series of 100 linked short stories to celebrate the 20th century (1900 to 1999). ISBN: 0571200990. Our Book No: 14245. $15 AUD.
63. Grass, Gunter; Heim, Michael Henry (translator) (2008). Peeling the Onion (Reprint ed). London: Vintage / Random House. 425 pp. Paperback thick trade, very good condition, cover little creased, minor edgewear. By the winner of Nobel Prize for Literature, 1999. Translated from the German. The German author writes about his life from his modest upbringing in Danzig, his early years as a boy soldier fighting the Russians, and his writing life. ISBN: 9780099507598. Our Book No: 26268. $15 AUD.
64. Grass, Gunter; Winston, Krishna (translator) (2010). The Box (1st English ed). London: Harvill Secker / Random House. 194 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), black & white photo rear jacket flap, minor edgewear jacket. By winner of Nobel Prize for Literature, 1999. Translated from the German. This is a sequel to "Peeling the Onion". The German author writes in the voices of his eight children as they record the memories of their childhoods, of growing up, of their father, who was always at work on a new book, always at the margins of their lives. This book is an inspired and daring work of fiction (faction). ISBN: 9781846553073. Our Book No: 26269. $14 AUD.
65. Guarnieri, Patrizia (1993). A Case of Child Murder: Law and Science in Nineteenth-Century Tuscany. Cambridge: Polity Press. 210 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor crease first few pages, minor creases & edgewear jacket. Between 1873 and 1875 four children disappeared without trace from a small village in Tuscany. The suspect was caught and brought to trial. Examines in detail the ensuing murder trial: the brief investigation leading quickly to the confession of the alleged killer and his indictment, the course of the insanity trial that followed, the enormous attention that it drew, and the medical, legal and public reactions to the conviction. This book is a meticulous and engaging reconstruction of an important episode in the history of law and medicine. ISBN: 0745609031. Our Book No: 22977. $13 AUD.
66. Guicciardini, Francesco; Brown, Alison (editor & translator) (1994). Dialogue on the Government of Florence (1st English ed) [Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought]. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 218 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, minor edgewear. This is the first translation into English of this book, written in the early 1520s by the author of the famous "History of Italy". This dialogue presents the most searching and comprehensive analysis of the politics of his times. One of the clearest expositions of the term "reason of state", and to justify the priority of state interest over private morality and religion. ISBN: 0521456231. Our Book No: 23224. $12 AUD.
67. Gustafsson, Lars (1981). The Death of a Beekeeper. New York: New Directions Publishing. 163 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), light foxing edges, edge tears jacket (small loss), protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. In the beginning of the winter thaw, Lars Lennart Westin has learned that he has cancer and will not live through Spring. Told through the journals of this Swedish school teacher turned apiarist, this novel is his gentle, courageous, and sometimes comic meditation on living with pain. ISBN: 0811208095. Our Book No: 23283. $17 AUD.
68. Haffner, Sebastian; Osers, Ewald (translation) (1988). The Meaning of Hitler (1st p/b ed). London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson. 165 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, light foxing top edge, faint toning pages, bottom corner tip front cover creased, minor edgewear. A historical and psychological study of the enigma of Adolf Hitler and his impact on the 20th century. ISBN: 0297792555. Our Book No: 21065. $10 AUD.
69. Halevy, Elie; Watkin, E. I. (translator) (1939). History of the English People: Epilogue 1895 - 1905 (3 books). Harmondsworth: Pelican Books / Penguin Books. 215 + 248 + 216 pp. Each book: Paperback dustjacket, good plus condition (in good dustjacket), traditional blue cover, jacket edge tears (light toning, flaps clipped & little creased), page edges toned. Book 2 lacks jacket. The three books are: Imperialism (Book 1) - The Internal Policy of the Unionist Cabinet (Book 2) - The Decline of the Unionist Party. Translated from French. Our Book No: 10643. $15 AUD.
70. Han, Beatrice; Pile, Edward (translator) (2002). Foucault's Critical Project: Between the Transcendental and the Historical (1st ed). Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press. 241 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, label inside rear cover, corners worn front cover, top corner tips little creased few pages, minor edgewear. This book uncovers and explores the constant tension between the historical and the transcendental that lies at the heart of philosopher's Michael Foucault's work. ISBN: 0804737096. Our Book No: 25243. $18 AUD.
71. Handley Knibbs, George (1913). Voices of the North (Book I) and Echoes of Hellas (Book II) (1st ed). London: Alston Rivers. 291 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, good condition, brown cloth cover (gilt title cover & spine), endpapers lightly toned & little foxed, pages faintly toned, top edge toned, light foxing flyleaf & title page, minor foxing some pages, inner hinge little split (pages firm), spine ends & edges little rubbed, cover corner tips little rubbed, autograph (author's written dedication). This book is epic poetry based on ancient Scandinavian and Greek myths. The foreword states that the book consists of two books, each of three parts. Part 3 of Book I and parts 2 and 3 of Book II are original poems. Parts 1 and 2 of Book 1 are paraphrases, rather than strict translations, of poems by Finnish authors. Part 1 of Book II is a translation of a rendering into German by Linke of the story we owe to Apuleius. Each Book has its own dedication, preface, and list of contents. (Extensive written dedication to his friend Rev. N. Cocks, in Greek and English, on front free flyleaf.). Our Book No: 28884. $30 AUD.
72. Harrer, Heinrich; Graves, Richard (translator) & Fleming, Peter (introduction) (1957). Seven Years in Tibet [Adventure Library]. London: Rupert Hart-Davis. 320 pp. Hardback small thick, dustjacket, very good condition (in good plus dustjacket), black & white photos including frontispiece, minor soiling jacket (minor edgewear & few holes flap joins), protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. Heinrich Harrer escaped from an internment camp in India during World War 2 and made his way to Lhasa in Tibet, where he courted high circles, becoming tutor and friend to the young Dalai Lama. (Translated from the German.). Our Book No: 14660. $14 AUD.
73. Herman, Patrick; Kuper, Richard (2003). Food for Thought: Towards a Future for Farming (1st English ed). London: Pluto Press. 156 pp. Paperback small, very good plus condition, boxes. The French radical farmers union Confederation Paysanne, with its leader Jose Bove, has led the world in demonstrating the possibility of a socially progressive future for farming. Originally published in French, this book has been expanded and adapted for an English-speaking audience. Rejects the increasing intensification and industrialisation of agriculture. Argues for the need for local food production by small, independent farmers - both for the sake of the quality of the food we consume and to support the kind of societies we want to live in. ISBN: 0745320775. Our Book No: 23572. $10 AUD.
74. Hermelo, Ricardo S.; Sobral, Jose M.; Fliess, Felipe; Rosove, Michael H. (editor) (2004). When the Corvette Uruguay Was Dismasted: The Return of the Uruguay From the Antarctic in 1903. Santa Monica, CA: Adelie Books. 24 pp. Hardback quarto, no jacket as issued, very good plus condition, colour frontispiece painting, quarter-bound (cloth binding along spine, spine label, marbled boards, handmade acid-free paper), small mark spine. (Limited edition, 250 copies.) Translated from the Spanish by Gricelda and Lawrence Perales. Frontispiece painting of the corvette Uruguay in the Antarctic. An English-language translation of a rare pamphlet published in Buenos Aires, 1946. Plus preface, appendices (original text) and bibliography. Synopsis: Most Antarctic buffs are familiar with the Swedish Antarctic Expedition of 1901-4 which was lead by Otto Nordenskjold. However, because all of the primary sources are in Spanish and Swedish few are familiar with the interesting homeward bound journey aboard the Argentinean relief vessel Uruguay. The ship was severely damaged in a storm north of the South Shetland Islands. What transpired between the Argentinean and Swedish staff was controversial - and pride for Argentineans. Our Book No: 15976. $75 AUD.
75. Heroesoekarto; Carter, Ketha (translator) (1991). The Mahabharata from Indonesia. Melbourne, Brighton: Ketha Carter. 64 pp. Paperback, card cover, stapled, very good plus condition. ISBN: 0646028979. Our Book No: 14214. $15 AUD.
76. Heroesoekarto; Carter, Ketha (translator) (1993). The Mahabharata from Indonesia: Book Three: The Magic Talisman. Melbourne, Brighton: Ketha Carter. 34 pp. Paperback, card cover, stapled, very good condition, cover lightly foxed. ISBN: 0646149776. Our Book No: 14217. $15 AUD.
77. Hirata, Andrea; Kilbane, Angie (translator) (2013). The Rainbow Troops (1st Australian ed). Sydney: Vintage / Random House. 291 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, bottom corner tip front cover little creased, minor edgewear, rubber stamps. (Uncorrected bound proof copy, as stated.) This novel is about a boy named Ikal and his friends "The Rainbow Troops", who attend Muhammadiyah Elementary, on the Indonesian island of Belitong, where graduating from sixth grade is considered a major achievement. The author was inspired by his elementary school teacher, Muslimah, to write this novel. The novel has been adapted for a feature film, television series, and musical theatre. Hirata has contributed significantly to the development of modern Indonesian literature. ISBN: 9781742758589. Our Book No: 28273. $15 AUD.
78. Hoting, Hans; Langham, Tony (translation) (1990). Chinese Health Balls: Practical Exercises (1st ed). Holland: Binkey Kok Publications. 106 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, black & white drawings & photos. A very practical guide to the use of the Chinese health balls. ISBN: 9074597033. Our Book No: 20938. $12 AUD.
79. Hunt, Tony (1999). The Medieval Surgery. Woodbridge, Suffolk: Boydell Press. 104 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, front cover little scratched. The complete set of illustrations which accompany a 13th-century Anglo-Norman translation of Roger of Parma's "Surgery" (about the year 1180). The first surgical treatise to be written in the medieval West, along with an informative commentary that identifies the medieval medical treatments depicted. ISBN: 0851157548. Our Book No: 2789. $15 AUD.
80. IasenzaNiro, Fr. Marcellino (editor); MacKinlay, Patricia Ann (translator) (2006). The "Padre": Saint Pio of Pietrelcina: His Mission To Save Souls: Testimonies: First Part. San Giovanni Rotondo (FG), Italy: Our Lady of Grace Capuchin Friary. 204 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, minor edgewear. The author documents some important aspects of the personality and message of Padre Pio, the Italian Catholic (Capuchin) priest and saint (1887 - 1968), who was noted particularly for his stigmata. ISBN: 8849900910. Our Book No: 25393. $15 AUD.
81. Ibrahim, Raymon; Davis Hanson, Victor (introduction) (2007). The Al Qaeda Reader (1st stated ed). New York: Doubleday. 318 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket). This book gathers together the essential al-Qaeda texts and documents that trace the origin, history, and evolution of the ideas of the founders of this terrorist group: Ayman al-Zawahiri and Osama bin Laden (including threats to Western civilisation, particularly the United States). Edited and translated by Raymon Ibrahim. ISBN: 9780385516556. Our Book No: 26351. $18 AUD.
82. Ibsen, Henrik; Ellis-Fermor, Una (translator) (1950). Three Plays: The Pillars of the Community - The Wild Duck - Hedda Gabler. Harmondsworth: Penguin Classics. 368 pp. Paperback, good plus condition, minor edgewear. Three classic plays translated from old Norwegian. Our Book No: 2149. $10 AUD.
83. Ibsen, Henrik; Ellis-Fermor, Una (translator) (1958). The Master Builder and Other Plays. Harmondsworth: Penguin Classics. 376 pp. Paperback, good plus condition, minor edgewear. Four classic plays translated from old Norwegian. Our Book No: 2179. $10 AUD.
84. Inaba, Kazuya; Nakayama, Shigenobu (2000). Japanese Homes and Lifestyles: An Illustrated Journey Through History (1st English ed). Tokyo: Kodansha International. 124 pp. Hardback small quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), map, black & white drawings, minor edgewear jacket. Presents the story of the Japanese people - from prehistoric times to the modern day. There are caves, pit dwellings, thatched and tiled houses, capital cities, aristocratic mansions, town houses, rural villages, castles, samurai residences, and the modernization of Japan, ''new towns'' and high-rise apartment complexes. The lively illustrations and concise text will interest students of domestic architecture, history buffs, and readers who want to learn about faraway places and times past. ISBN: 477002391X. Our Book No: 27970. $40 AUD.
85. Indridason, Arnaldur; Cribb, Victoria (translation) (2014). Black Skies: An Inspector Erlendur Novel (1st this ed) [Inspector Erlendur]. New York: Picador. 330 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, top corners few pages folded, covers little creased, pages minimally toned, minor edgewear. Crime fiction, set in Reykjavik (Iceland). This is a story of greed, pride, and murder which goes from the villas of Reykjavik's banking elite to a sordid basement flat. ISBN: 9781250055880. Our Book No: 28681. $13 AUD.
86. Jacobs, Una; Marsh, Gwen (translator) (1979). The Story of Fieldmice (1st translated ed). London: J. M. Dent & Sons. Unnum 28 pp. Hardback small quarto, no jacket, pictorial boards, very good condition, colour drawings, illustrated endpapers, base spine slightly worn, spine little loose (pages firm). A children's picture book about fieldmice, including a description of the life-cycle, how they stake out their territories, build burrows, store food, make nests and bring up their young. A remarkable story of survival and adaptation, illustrated with large, colourful pictures. ISBN: 0460069675. Our Book No: 25882. $15 AUD.
87. Jakucs, Laszlo (1977). Morphogenetics of Karst Regions: Variants of Karst Evolution (1st ed). Bristol / Budapest: Adam Hilger / Akademiai Kiado. 284 pp. Hardback octavo, cancelled EX-LIBRARY (spine label, barcode, pocket, etc.), good plus condition, black & white text-photos, figures, tables. Heavy. Updated and translated from Hungarian, this book describes in detail the geomorphology of karst terrains (barren and cavernous limestone or dolomite regions, named after the Karst region in and near Croatia). ISBN: 0852743092. Our Book No: 12824. $30 AUD.
88. Jansson, Tove; Hart, Kingsley (translator) (1978). The Dangerous Journey (1st English ed). London: Ernest Benn. Unnum 28 pp. Hardback large quarto, pictorial board covers (tan cloth spine), very good condition, colour drawings, new endpapers, bottom corner rear cover bumped, minor edgewear, small sticker top corner title page. English translation of a Swedish-language Finnish children's picture book: "Den Farliga Resan" (Holger Schildts Forlag, Helsingfors, 1977). A little girl is transported with the help of magic glasses from a boring summer afternoon into an exciting world of mangrove swamps, volcanoes, and sea where birds fly upside down. Old friends from Moomin Valley - Hemulen, Sniff, Snufkin, Thingummy Bob - join her in her adventures. Moomin rescues them in his trusty striped balloon. An extension of the Moomin children's stories by the popular Swedish-Finnish novelist, who has received the Hans Christian Andersen award for children's literature. ISBN: 051000038X. Our Book No: 14810. $80 AUD.
89. Joyce, James; Berrone, Louis (editor) (1977). James Joyce in Padua. New York: Random House. 146 pp. Hardback dustjacket, good condition (in good dustjacket), black & white photos & reproductions, frontispiece, edges & pages lightly toned, light foxing & texta mark top edge, minor edgewear jacket (light toning reverse side), light stain spine ends & bottom edge, minor insect damage. In April 1912 in Padua, James Joyce wrote two essays as part of an examination to qualify for a teaching position in the Italian public school system. These essays were only recently recovered from the archives of the University of Padua by Louis Perrone of Fairfield University. Prof. Berrone translated and edited the essays, and provides a detailed introduction showing the particular circumstances of Joyce's life during the time he wrote these essays, and reveals how many of the ideas in these two Paduan essays were an essential part of Joyce's critical apparatus, influencing his work in both fiction and nonfiction. ISBN: 0394409906. Our Book No: 28462. $18 AUD.
90. Jung, C. G.; Hull, R. F. C. (translator) (1991). The Development of Personality. London: Routledge. 255 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, spine lightly creased, minor edgewear. Selected essays from Jung's work that outline his theory of child development, including the important role of the psychology of parents and teachers. Contains a fascinating snapshot from the life of a little girl called Anna, and a stimulating discussion of marriage as a psychological relationship. ISBN: 0415071747. Our Book No: 12989. $20 AUD.
91. Jung, C. G. [Carl G.]; Hull, R. F. C. (translator) (1982). On the Nature of the Psyche. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul (RKP). 166 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, rear cover little scratched, top edge lightly foxed, minor edgewear, old price marks. This book is a summary of Jung's basic theoretical position regarding the psyche, including definitions of libido, energy force - and discusses the possibility to measure energy objectively and subjectively. Consists of two of the 18 essays in Volume 8 of the Collected Works. ISBN: 0710092512. Our Book No: 14635. $10 AUD.
92. Jung, C. G. (Carl G.); Hull, R. F. C. (translator) (1989). Dreams (Reprint ed). London: Ark Paperbacks / Routledge Kegan Paul (RKP). 337 pp. Paperback, very good condition, many drawings (including text-photos & frontispiece), minor foxing edges, pages lightly toned as common, minor edgewear. Dreams are the very fabric of the analytical process. This book is a significant statement of Jung's dream psychology. Jung brings to the subject a wealth of allusions to mysticism, religion, culture and symbolism that is without equal. ISBN: 0744800323. Our Book No: 14058. $14 AUD.
93. Kadare, Ismail (1996). The Pyramid (1st English ed). London: Harvill. 119 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minor edgewear, corner tips covers & pages creased. (Translated from Albanian into French, then into English.) A transparent parable of life under a Communist dictatorship in Albania, told with the same quiet, sardonic humour and keen eye for the pertinent detail that characterised his previous novels: The Palace of Dreams, and The Concert. ISBN: 1860461247. Our Book No: 22907. $10 AUD.
94. Kadare, Ismail (1997). The File on H. (1st English ed). London: Harvill. 169 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, small mark fore-edge, minor edgewear. (Translated from Albanian into French, then into English.) This simple tale by Albania's most eminent and gifted novelist serves to lift the veil on one of the most secret and mysterious countries of modern Europe. ISBN: 186046257X. Our Book No: 22906. $10 AUD.
95. Kadloubovsky, E. (translator); Palmer, G. E. H. (translator) (1981). Early Fathers from the Philokalia Together with Some Writings of St Abba Dorotheus St Isaac of Syria and St Gregory Palamas (Reprint ed). London: Faber & Faber. 421 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition,(in good dustjacket), edges lightly foxed, flap clipped jacket (minor edgewear, faint foxing reverse side, minor foxing front cover & spine), bottom corner rear cover little bumped. From title page: "Selected and translated from the Russian text Dobrotolubiye." This book is drawn from the great collection of writings of Fathers of the Orthodox Church which was compiled in the 18th century under the title Philokalis. The translators have given a representative collection of writings from between the 3rd and 7th centuries. These texts date from very early times in the Christian era, and they are all before the 11th-century schism between the Eastern and Western churches. ISBN: 0571037941. Our Book No: 28868. $40 AUD.
96. Kapuscinski, Ryszard (2012). Se Tutta l'Africa. Milano: Narratori Feltrinelli. 287 pp. Paperback small octavo (with flaps), very good plus condition. Title "If All Africa". Translated from Polish into Italian. "I did not go to Africa in search of adventure, hunting of elephants or to find diamonds." Ten unpublished reports about Africa by the Polish writer, dated 1962 to 1966, and printed in the weekly magazine "Polityka". Describes a period of transition in many African countries. ISBN: 9788807019173. Our Book No: 16281. $20 AUD.
97. Karafiat, Jan; Trnka, Jiri (illustrator); Biskova, Daniela (translator) (1994). Fireflies For Small and Big Children (1st translated ed). Prague: Albatros, Publishing House for Children and Young People / Kalich Publishers. 92 pp. Hardback small quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), navy boards (gilt title spine, gilt illustrations front cover), illustrated endpapers, colour drawings (mostly full-page), minor edgewear jacket (base spine & cover corners little rubbed, faint foxing reverse side, crease front flap). A children's Czechoslovakian fable written in 1876 by a minister of a village church in Moravia. As the title suggests this wonderful book will suit any age. The very life-like illustrations will fascinate small children, and the text will be more suitable to older readers. ISBN: 8000004135. Our Book No: 28971. $30 AUD.
98. Keilson, Hans; Searls, Damion (translation) (2011). Comedy in a Minor Key (1st English ed). Melbourne: Scribe Publications. 104 pp. Paperback small thin trade, very good condition, edges & pages little toned, minor creases covers. This book is the story of Wim and Marie, a Dutch couple who first hide a Jew they know as Nico, and must then dispose of his body when he dies of pneumonia. This novella, first published in 1947 and now translated into English for the first time, shows the author at his best. Published to celebrate Keilson's 102nd birthday, and introduces Australian readers to a forgotten author who was a witness to World War 2. Published 1947 as "Komodie in Moll". ISBN: 9781921844072. Our Book No: 27726. $15 AUD.
99. Kerr, Anne (1988). Lanterns over Pinchgut: A Book of Memoirs (1st ed). Melbourne: Macmillan. 344 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white photos, minor edgewear jacket (lightly rubbed), light toning edges, light rubbing bottom edges. Anne Kerr writes of her life as an international interpreter which took her all over the world, and also of her second marriage to John Kerr, the ex-Governor General of Australia. She reports her experiences in Cambodia, as an au pair in the Jura Mountains, in Samoa where she meets the ghost of Robert Louis Stevenson, and comes under the spell of the Katsura Villa in Kyoto. She uses the keen eye of the artist, and the engaging skills of the true lover of language. ISBN: 0333477081. Our Book No: 25721. $15 AUD.
100. Kettrup, A. (editor); Ohrbach, Dr. K. H. (translator) (1991). Analyses of Hazardous Substances in Air: Volume 1 (1st ed). Weinheim, Germany: VCH Verlagsgesellschaft. 223 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, very good condition, pictorial cover, figures, tables, few tiny dents & marks edges, publisher's label front pastedown, owner's rubber stamps including edges. This book contains 16 specific methods and three general chapters, constituting part of a recent initiative of the Commission for the Investigation of Health Hazards of Chemical Compounds in the Work Area. The aim of this first volume is to improve the availability at the national and international level of all scientific documents as a basis for discussions and decisions in the work place. ISBN: 3527270159. Our Book No: 25552. $20 AUD.
101. Kirmmse, Bruce H. (editor); Kirmmse, Bruce H (translated) & Laursen, Virginia R. (translated) (1998). Encounters with Kierkegaard: A Life as Seen by His Contemporaries (1st p/b, corrected ed). Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. 358 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, few black & white text-photos, small mark inside front cover & free flyleaf, small section top edge front cover little scuffed, minor edgewear corners, sticker mark flyleaf. A collection of every known eyewitness account of the great Danish existentialist philosopher and Christian theologian. The observations of his contemporaries, maintains the editor, are a indispensable path to understanding what he was like as a person. ISBN: 0691058946. Our Book No: 27385. $18 AUD.
102. Koci, Marta; Herring, Ann (translator) (1973). P. Tinybit (1st translated ed). Tokyo: Universe Picture Books / Gakken. 27 pp. Hardback small quarto, no jacket, pictorial cover, very good plus condition, small crease flyleaf. A beautifully illustrated Japanese story about a berry-beetle, translated from the Japanese language. P. Tinybit is unhappy because he thinks he is too small. Our Book No: 25380. $20 AUD.
103. Kotzebue, August von; Kotsebue, August von (title page) (1800). Broeder Morits, de Zonderlinge, of de Volkplanting voor de Pelew-Eilanden, Tooneelspel in 3 Bedrijven. City Not Stated: Publisher Not Stated. 162 pp. Hardback very small, no jacket, good condition, rebound (new endpapers), pages toned & creased from age, edges untrimmed, minor edgewear. (Estimated date, from similar editions published in the 1790s and 1800s, Worldcat.) A play by the popular German playwright, August von Kotzebue (1761 - 1819) here translated into the Dutch language. Our Book No: 16595. $30 AUD.
104. Kreibich, Barbel; Gurtesch, Irmgard; Jannedy, Astrid; Schuster, Thomas (photos) (1995). An Introduction to Hardanger Embroidery (1st Australasian ed). Sydney, East Roseville: Search Press / Simon & Schuster. 88 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, black & white drawings & colour photos (mostly full-page), spine lightly faded, top edge lightly foxed. This book is about the art of Hardanger embroidery which originated in the Norwegian fiord country of Hardanger. It is a form of whitework that is transitionally embroidered using the white-on-white technique, on white or natural coloured linen. A comprehensive introduction and a very useful book with lots of practical tips from choosing fabric to how to wash and care for your finished work. There are classic and modern patterns and motifs for napkins, table-mats, runners, tablecloths, cushions and blinds, as well as ideas and full charts for a range of presents suitable for many occasions. Translated from German. ISBN: 0731805186. Our Book No: 27533. $35 AUD.
105. Krekulova, Alena; Gustova, Anna Bryson (translator) (2002). Jewish Cookery (1st ed). Prague: Slovart Publishing. 64 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket as issued, very good condition, pictorial cover, colour photos, top spine lightly rubbed. This book contains a delightful blend of traditional recipes ranging from casual and everyday dishes to the more exotic and unusual. Most of the recipes come from Central and Eastern Europe which was the home of Ashkenazi Jews. Translated from Czech language. ISBN: 8072093703. Our Book No: 26667. $15 AUD.
106. Kung, Hans; Jens, Walter; Niethammer, Dietrich (contributor);Eser, Albin (contributor), & Bowden, John (translator) (1995). Dying with Dignity: A Plea for Personal Responsibility (1st English ed). New York: Continuum Publishing. 132 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), top edge lightly foxed, minor edgewear jacket. The Christian theologian examines the case for voluntary euthanasia in certain well-defined circumstances. Translation from German. ISBN: 0826408850. Our Book No: 27748. $18 AUD.
107. La Rosa, Domenico (1995). L'Apostolato di P. Giuseppe La Rosa in Australia [Italian language]. Sydney, Leichhardt: Domenica La Rosa / Co.As.It: Italian Historical Society of New South Wales. 189 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), reproduced documents (letters), colour photos spread at rear. Italian language book being "The Apostleship of P. Giuseppe La Rosa in Australia". Father Giuseppe La Rosa (1915 - 1990) spent only a decade on Australian soil, but left a rich legacy for Italian-Australians, including his brief memoirs. Incorporating English translation by Barbara McGilvray of: "Dieci Anni tra gli Italiani in Australia (1939 - 1949)", or, in English "Ten Years of Italians in Australia (1939 - 1949) ". ISBN: 0646261134. Our Book No: 14040. $60 AUD.
108. Laing, Uisdean (1964). Gu Tir Mo Luaidh (Dain Eilthireach, Sgeulachdan Agus Eachdraidh) (1st stated ed). Perth, Swanbourne: Hugh Laing. 72 pp. Hardback small octavo, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket (minor marking & tears, reverse side toned), autograph (author's written dedication). A collection of poetry and prose translated into Gaelic, English translations of Gaelic poems, and original poems in English and Gaelic, by Western Australian teacher and education superintendent. Our Book No: 4085. $30 AUD.
109. Lanternari, Vittorio (1963). The Religions of the Oppressed: A Study of Modern Messianic Cults (1st U.K. ed) [Studies in Society]. London: MacGibbon & Kee. 359 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), owner's written name, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. By Italian professor of ethnology and the history of religions, who has been influenced by the philosopher Benedetto Croce. Originally published in Italian in 1960, this book surveys messianic movements that emerge in response to Western colonial expansion during the 20th century. Included are native American quietist peyote culture, West Indian Ras Tafari, Brazilian Zions and Melanesian cargo cults. Our Book No: 1447. $18 AUD.
110. Le Maire, Jacob; Duyker, Edward (introduction) & Dalrymple, Alexander (translator) (1999). Mirror of Australian Navigation: A Facsimile of the 'Spieghel der Australische Navigatie', Being an Account of the Voyage of Jacob Le Maire and Willem Schouten 1615 - 1616, Published in Amsterdam in 1622 [Australian Maritime Series, no 5]. Sydney: Australian National Maritime Museum / Hordern House. Unnum pp. Hardback small folio, no jacket as issued, as new condition, quarter-bound (tan leather spine with black & gilt title label, marbled boards), full-page colour drawings & maps. (Limited edition, 900 copies.) Facsimile of the journal of Jacob Le Maire, published posthumously in 1622. The original Dutch edition is accompanied by a facsimile of the English text prepared by the great Pacific historian of the 18th century, Alexander Dalrymple. Nutmeg and pepper drove this wealthy Dutch merchant to try to break the monopoly on trade routes to the East Indies, and inspired him to forge a new route to the lucrative spice sources via the southern tip of South America. He was nfluenced by the famous voyage of de Quiros, the Portuguese navigator who believed he had reached Terra Australis, the great southland. The expedition had dual goals: to chart a new course to the Pacific, and to find the great southern continent. ISBN: 1875567259. Our Book No: 16702. $100 AUD.
111. Ledru, Andre Pierre; de Vizcarrondo, D.Julio L. (translator) & Mendez, Eugenio Fernandez (preface) (1957). Viaje a la Isla de Puerto Rico (2nd ed). Puerto Rico: Instituto de Literatura Puertorriquena, Universidad de Puerto Rico / Printed in Mexico. 179 pp. Paperback small octavo, good condition, covers & endpapers lightly foxed & creased (spine toned, top spine torn), edges toned, pages lightly toned, edgewear. (Translated from French into Spanish language, originally in 1863. This is the second edition of 1957.) A report on a visit by French naturalist Andre Pierre Ledru to Puerto Rico, as part of the 1797 West Indies expedition led by Captain Nicolas Baudin. Ledru described the colony, and collected both living and dried plants for museums in Paris. Our Book No: 16569. $30 AUD.
112. Lichtenstadter, IIse (1976). Introduction to Classical Arabic Literature with Selections from Representative Works in English Translation. New York: Schocken Books. 392 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, top corner tips few pages little worn, edges lightly marked, tiny scuff mark spine, minor edgewear. The first part of the work consists of a long introductory essay that surveys the history of Arabic literature from pre-Islamic times through its high period in the Middle Ages. The second part of the volume, comprising somewhat more than half the work, is a representative selection of the literature itself, beginning with some pre-Islamic poetry and including, among many other things, a portion of Muhammad ibn Ishaq's Life of Muhammad, selections of traditions, philosophical writings of Al-Ghazali, some poetry of Al-Maari, and travel writing by Ibn Battutah. ISBN: 0805205500. Our Book No: 24842. $12 AUD.
113. Linde, Gunnel; Kennedy, Richard (illustrator) & Parker, Anne (translation) (1969). A Pony in the Luggage (Special Australian edition ed). London / Melbourne: J. M. Dent & Sons / Georgian House. 139 pp. Paperback, very good condition, illustrated flexible covers, cloth spine, black & white drawings, pages faintly toned, white rear cover little marked, minor edgewear, rubber stamp. This charming story for young adults (used as a school reader) is about a girl named Anneli and her brother Nicklas who win a horse at the zoo. Their adventures with Danny the small horse make this a great book for older children. The illustrations help to tell the story. (First published in Sweden by Albert Bonniers, Stockholm, under the title "Med Lill-Klas i Kappsacken".). Our Book No: 29103. $20 AUD.
114. Lindqvist, Sven (2012). Terra Nullius: A Journey Through No One's Land. London: Granta. 248 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition. A meditative journey through the bleak deserts of Australia, and into the past. Explores how racism against the the Aboriginal peoples led to policies of cultural genocide, many acts of individual cruelty, and some of kindness. Translated from the Swedish language. ISBN: 9781847085214. Our Book No: 16082. $14 AUD.
115. Lissner, E.; Slonek, Rae (1986). A Tale of Misfortune. [Sydney]: New Age Publishers / Printed in USSR. 12 pp. Paperback folio (31.3 x 24.9 cm), good plus condition, stapled, full-page colour drawings, front cover minor foxing & scuffing (possible minor insect damage), rear cover lightly faded near spine (sticker mark). (Estimated date, 1986, Trove catalogue.) A traditional Russian folk tale, here presented as a beautifully illustrated children's book, illustrated by Lissner and translated by Slonek. ISBN: 0908077343. Our Book No: 12887. $15 AUD.
116. MacDonald, Donald; Ishigami, Dr Tohiu; Kitasato, Prof. Shibasaburo (1905). A Text-Book on Plague, Translated, Enlarged, and Illustrated with Pathogenic Horticulture [Japanese Text-Book on Plague]. Adelaide: D. MacDonald / Vardon & Pritchard (Printers). 180 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, good condition, original dark green cloth cover (gilt lettering, front cover little stained), figures (including black & white text-photos), colour plates, frontispiece, minor foxing, pages lightly toned, edgewear (notably spine ends, corners bumped), owner's sticker, rubber stamp, annotation front free flyleaf. This textbook was originally written in Japanese by Ishigami, and later revised by Kitasato. The current edition was translated, enlarged, illustrated and self-published by Donald MacDonald, late Consulting Bacteriologist to the South Australian Government. With 152 illustrations and three chromolithographic plates. Part I is a translation of the Japanese text in 21 chapters. Part II is an extra six chapters by MacDonald, being pathogenic horticulture. Library sticker of Prof. Bryan Gandevia. Rubber stamp of Prof. Edward Ford. Our Book No: 16457. $100 AUD.
117. Macintyre, Duncan Ban; Macleod, Angus (editor) (1952). The Songs of Duncan Ban Macintyre (1st ed) [Scottish Gaelic Texts]. Edinburgh: Scottish Gaelic Texts Society / Oliver & Boyd. 581 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, good condition, top edge gilt, roughly cut page edges, light internal toning & foxing, endpapers little foxed & toned, edges toned, spine ends lightly worn, rear cover corners little bumped, minor edgewear, owner's written name. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. This wonderful old book contains the songs of 18th century Gaelic poet Duncan Ban Macintyre, who was born at Glenorchy, Argyleshire, Scotland, in the year 1724. He began to compose songs at age 23. The Gaelic words appear opposite the English translation by Macleod (edited, with notes and introduction). Our Book No: 28839. $30 AUD.
118. Magnusson, David (1967). Test Theory. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley Publishing. 270 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket as issued, very good condition, figures, appendices, minor edgewear, rubber stamp, old price marks. This textbook, translated from the second Swedish edition, provides a theoretically and statistically coherent presentation of test theory to permit the interpretation and use of data regarding individual differences in diagnosis, counselling, selection, classification and psychometric test construction. (ISBN not printed in book, but assigned later.). ISBN: 0201043955. Our Book No: 2564. $15 AUD.
119. Mars; Bonvoisin, Maurice (true name) (1892). Sable & Galet: Plages Normandes et Plages du Nord: de Cherbourg a Rosendael - Dunkerque. Paris: Librarie Plon. 72 pp. Hardback folio (32.0 x 25.5 cm), good condition, pictorial green cloth cover, colour & black & white drawings (some full-page), pages lightly toned, corners & spine ends bumped & worn, minor foxing, edgewear. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. (Estimated date, Worldcat.) Title in English: "Sand & Pebble (Normandy Beaches and Northern Beaches)". Drawings and humorous text on one side of page only. Fabulous drawings & cartoons (lithographs) of French beach scenes. By Maurice Bonvoisin (1849 - 1912), under the pseudonym Mars. Our Book No: 15673. $100 AUD.
120. Masunaga, Reiho (1975). A Primer of Soto Zen: A Translation of Dogen's Shobogenzo Zuimonki (Reprint ed). Honolulu: University Press of Hawaii. 119 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, top corners creased two pages, minor foxing edges, minor edgewear. Provides a good introductory text to main Zen themes and ideas for those who desire to practice Zen. Translated by Masunaga. ISBN: 0824803574. Our Book No: 25420. $13 AUD.
121. Maurois, Andre; D'Arcy, Ella (translator) (1985). Ariel (Facsimile ed). Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. 252 pp. Paperback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), heritage blue cover, minor edgewear, reverse side jacket lightly toned, edges & pages lightly toned. This is No 1 of the first 10 Penguins, published in July 1935, and produced here in facsimile to mark 50 years of Penguin Books. The author traces the life of Shelley, a poet who extended the intellectual and creative frontiers of his time. This book is elegant, erudite and fascinating. ISBN: 0140000011. Our Book No: 26911. $10 AUD.
122. Melzer, Werner; Berghoff, Walter (drawings) & Kimber, Rita & Robert (translation) (1989). Beekeeping: A Complete Owner's Manual: Buying Bees, Management, Rearing, Honey Production. Hauppauge, NY: Barron's Educational. 70 pp. Paperback wide trade, very good plus condition, colour text-photos, black & white drawings, minor edgewear. A practical guide for the novice beekeeper. Contains a special section: The beekeeper's yearly work cycle. Answers questions about: housing, behavior, health, breeding and much more. There are more than 50 drawings and colour photos. ISBN: 0821040899. Our Book No: 20926. $10 AUD.
123. Meray, Tibor (2008). On Burchett [Wilfred Burchett]. Kallista, VIC: Callistemon Publications. 273 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, black & white text-photos, spine ends bumped. (Translated from Hungarian.) The author personally observed controversial war correspondent Wilfred Burchett during the Korean War, and thus is in a unique position to report on his credibility. Contains appendix: The truth about germ warfare. ISBN: 9780646477886. Our Book No: 13336. $26 AUD.
124. Messner, Reinhold; Constantine, Peter (translation) (2000). My Quest for the Yeti: Confronting the Himalaya's Deepest Mystery (1st U.K. ed). London: Macmillan. 169 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, black & white photos centre spread, black & white vignettes. An investigation of the yeti, a mythical animal from the Himalayas, by climber who was first to reach the peak of Mt Everest without oxygen support. ISBN: 0333905288. Our Book No: 9673. $10 AUD.
125. Meyer, Michel; Barsky, Robert F. (translator) (2000). Philosophy and the Passions: Toward a History of Human Nature (1st p/b ed) [Literature & Philosophy Series]. University Park, PA: Pennsylvania State University Press. 295 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition. The subject of the passions (emotions) has haunted Western philosophy - thus arousing harsh judgments. For the passions represent a force of excess and lawlessness in humanity that produces troubling, confusing paradoxes. The Belgian philosopher provides new insight into an age-old dilemma. Does passion torture people because it blinds them, or, does it permit people to understand who they really are. Translated from the French, with preface, introduction and bibliography by Robert F. Barsky. ISBN: 0271020326. Our Book No: 15775. $25 AUD.
126. Montalban, Manuel Vazquez; Caistor, Nick (translator) (2003). The Buenos Aires Quintet (1st Australian ed). London / Sydney: Serpent's Tail / Duffy & Snellgrove. 378 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, last page creased, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. Crime fiction, set in Buenos Aires. The famous detective Pepe Carvalho gets caught up in Argentina's troubled past. The Spanish detective travels from Barcelona to Buenos Aires to search for his cousin who disappeared in the Argentine army's Dirty War, but risks his own life by delving into the traumas of Argentina's history. ISBN: 1876631678. Our Book No: 20405. $10 AUD.
127. Mudrooroo; Seruzier, Christian (translator) (1995). Le Maitre du Reve-Fantome (1st French ed) [Master of the Ghost Dreaming]. La Tour d'Aigues: Editions de l'Aube. 200 pp. Paperback trade, good condition, edges & endpapers lightly foxed, minor edgewear, autograph (author's written dedication), card loosely inserted. French-languafe edition of a novel based on Wybalenna Aboriginal mission at Flinders Island, the life of G.A. Robinson and his wife, and Truganini Wourreddy. Dedication reads: "For Tom, with heartfelt thanks for bringing me the Master. 7-3-95". The card (l'Aube editions imprint) reads: "Tom: Here it is at last - my first publication, thanks to you and I'm sure you'll understand how I feel today! A thousand thanks." Both are signed "Colin" [Johnson, his English name]. ISBN: 2876782146. Our Book No: 14799. $20 AUD.
128. Mudrooroo; Seruzier, Christian (translator) (2010). Chat Sauvage en Chute Libre. Paris: Asphalte Editions. 169 pp. Paperback (with flaps), very good plus condition. (French-language edition of the book "Wild Cat Falling", originally published in 1965.) Novel about a bodgie Aboriginal youth of the 1960s. The first novel published in Australia by an Aboriginal writer. ISBN: 9782918767008. Our Book No: 14800. $20 AUD.
129. Nell, Renee (2005). The Use of Dreams in Couple Counseling: A Jungian Perspective (1st English ed) [Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts]. Toronto: Inner City Books. 157 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear, slight bump top edge near spine. With the help of numerous examples, Dr Nell explains the efficacy of dream interpretation when working with couples, both individually and in groups, in the diagnosis and treatment of emotional disturbances. Translated from German. ISBN: 1894574141. Our Book No: 24555. $25 AUD.
130. Nietzsche, Friedric; Geuss, Raymond (editor) & Speirs, Ronald (editor, translator) (2008). The Birth of Tragedy and Other Writings (Reprint ed) [Cambridge Texts in the History of Philosophy]. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (CUP). 165 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minor edgewear. This edition presents a new translation and an introduction by Raymond Geuss that puts the book in its historical and philosophical context. Also includes two essays on related topics that Nietzsche wrote during the same period. The essays throw further light on the themes treated in the main text. ISBN: 9780521639873. Our Book No: 27974. $20 AUD.
131. Nishi, Kazuo; Hozumi, Kazuo; Horton, Mack H. (translator & introduction) (1996). What is Japanese Architecture? A Survey of Traditional Japanese Architecture (Reprint ed). Tokyo: Kodansha International. 144 pp. Paperback small quarto, dustjacket (with flaps), very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), black & white drawings, novelty foldout, map front endpapers, minor edgewear jacket. This book describes construction, design, carpentry, and the history of Japanese Architecture from pre-history to mid-19th century. There are over 300 drawings, and a text that is straight to the point. The book is divided into four parts - religious structures, residences, castles, and places of entertainment. Contains fold-out three-dimensional model of the tearoom of Taian Teahouse. Architectural chronology list rear of book. ISBN: 4770019920. Our Book No: 27982. $30 AUD.
132. Ojvind Swahn, Jan; Puryear, Rachelle (translation) & Nolgren, Anna (editor) (2014). Swedish Traditions (Reprint ed). Bromma: Ordalaget Bokforlag. 159 pp. Hardback wide octavo, very good condition, pictorial cover, colour photos (mostly full-page), colour & black & white illustrations, top & bottom corners front cover lightly bumped. The author has written a personal, informative and entertaining presentation of typical Swedish customs - some of which are ancient - and the traditions which Swedes share with others. This beautiful book is richly illustrated with pictures and photos of Sweden's beautiful scenes. Recipes are included for some of Sweden's most classic traditional dishes. The author is one of Sweden's most renowned scholars in cultural history studies, and he is Professor Emeritus in Folkloristics. Translated from Swedish. ISBN: 9789174690408. Our Book No: 27780. $20 AUD.
133. Oksanen, Sofi; Farbregd, Turid (translation) (2011). Utrenskning [Purge]. Norway: Forlaget Oktober. 333 pp. Paperback, very good plus condition. Bestselling novel by Estonian-Finnish writer, and winner of the Nordic Council Literature Prize, 2010. Translated from Finnish to Norwegian. The story of an old lady Allide and a forlorn young girl Zara. The elder has lived her entire life on the farm in western Estonia, the younger has grown up in the easternmost Russia and has sought her luck in Western Europe, but is now on the run from men who pursue her. Gradually we become aware of the bond that unites the two women. The action occurs in part during WW2 (1940s) during the Soviet occupation of Estonia, and partly in the early 1990s when a new Europe is taking shape. ISBN: 9788249508266. Our Book No: 16014. $15 AUD.
134. Olson, Stuart Alve (1993). The Jade Emperor's Mind Seal Classic (Reprint ed). St. Paul, MN: Dragon Door Publications. 124 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, few drawings, printed on recycled paper, minor edgewear. This book, presented here in the first English translation, is a primer on how to achieve the benefits of Taoist thought. The text works as the catalyst for a deep transformation of being. Stuart Olson, Taoist practitioner and long-time protege of Taoist and T'ai Chi Ch'uan master, T. T. Liang, provides a lucid translation of, and an insightful commentary on this key text. ISBN: 0938045105. Our Book No: 24855. $10 AUD.
135. Onfray, Michel (2007). The Atheist Manifesto: The Case Against Christianity, Judaism and Islam (1st Australian ed). Melbourne: Melbourne University Press. 219 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, cover little creased near spine, owner's written name & date. (Translated from the French.) French philosopher (University of Caen) documents the ravages of religious intolerance over the centuries and makes a devastating cases against Christianity, Judaism and Islam. He argues that these three monotheistic religions display contempt for reason, intelligence, individual freedom, sexuality and pleasure, and indeed for science generally. ISBN: 052285396X. Our Book No: 14373. $14 AUD.
136. Orbell, Margaret (1991). Waiata: Maori Songs in History (1st ed). Auckland: Reed Books. 116 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white text-illustrations, minor edgewear, top edge lightly foxed, owner's written name. An anthology, introduced and translated by the author, who has been working with these manuscripts for 25 years. In this new anthology, she places traditional Maori songs (waiata) of the 19th century in their social and political setting, conveying the poet's responses to Maori trauma. ISBN: 0790001837. Our Book No: 26362. $20 AUD.
137. Palacios, Alex; Osegeda, Roy C. Boland (translator) (2009). Simplemente Poesia: Simply Poetry. Sydney, Willoughby: Cervantes Publishing. 205 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, autograph (author's written dedication). Bilingual edition. Poems in Spanish, by the Chilean-Australian poet. The poems have a strong autobiographical flavour. The poems are translated into English in the second half of the book. There is a short biography of the poet at the front of both the Spanish and English sections. ISBN: 9780949274281. Our Book No: 16104. $20 AUD.
138. Pavlov, I. P.; Koshtoyants, Kh. S. (editor) (1955). Selected Works. Moscow: Foreign Languages Publishing House. 654 pp. Hardback octavo, very good condition, frontispiece portrait, two page corners folded, edges lightly foxed. Selected writings of the pioneer Russian physiologist, arranged in 12 sections, including public speeches, digestion, theory of types, sleep and hypnosis, physiology and psychology, and fragments at the Wednesday gatherings. Includes an introductory essay by the editor, and an autobiographical statement. He is best known for discovering the conditioning reflex. Our Book No: 2343. $20 AUD.
139. Pelikan, Jaroslav (editor); Waley, Arthur (translator) (1992). Sacred Writings: Confucianism: The Analects of Confucius (1st ed). New York: Book-of-the-Month Club (BMOC). 262 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket (front flap little creased). One of six volumes of sacred writings that provide decisive and influential texts by which the general reader may better understand the major world religious traditions. This volume consists of sacred texts of Confucianism. Our Book No: 24745. $20 AUD.
140. Plato; Lane, Melissa (introduction) & Lee, Desmond (translator) (2007). Plato: The Republic (Reissue, new introduction ed). London: Penguin Group. 416 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. This book is widely known as the cornerstone of Western philosophy. It is written in the form of a dialogue between Socrates and three different interlocutors. The purpose of education is also addressed, and the roles of both women and men as 'guardians' of the people. The new introduction by Melissa Lane discusses Plato's aims in writing "The Republic", its major arguments and its perspective on politics in Ancient Greece, and it's significance through the ages and today. ISBN: 9780140455113. Our Book No: 28346. $10 AUD.
141. Poduschka, Walter; Christl, Poduschka; Sworder, Mary (translator) (1972). Dearest Prickles: The Story of a Hedgehog Family (1st ed). New York: Taplinger. 128 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), black & white text-photos, minor foxing endpapers & few pages, faint toning reverse side jacket (minor edgewear & edge tears, few small scuffs & dents), bottom edge little rubbed. This wonderful unsentimental story is about their rescue and experiences with three baby hedgehogs. Illustrated with over fifty photos, this charming book will appeal to animal lovers of all ages. ISBN: 0800821246. Our Book No: 28165. $15 AUD.
142. Postgate, Raymond (1969). The Agamemnon of Aeschylus. Cambridge: Rampant Lions Press. 141 pp. Hardback large octavo, very good condition, brown cloth cover (gilt spine lettering on black label), glassine acetate jacket MISSING, bookplate, autograph (author's written name). (Limited edition of 500 autographed copies.) A private press book. Text edited by Raymond Postgate, with an introduction, a commentary and a translation into modern English prose. Bookplate of Geoffrey Farmer. Our Book No: 15658. $30 AUD.
143. Psilakis, Maria; Psilakis, Nikos; Bitsakaki, Maria (translator) & Goodwin, Melanie (translator) (2000). Cretan Cooking: The Miracle of the Cretan Diet - the Most Wholesome Cuisine in the Mediterranean, with 265 Recipes (Revised ed). Crete, Greece: Karnmanor. 207 pp. Paperback large octavo, card covers (with flaps), very good condition, colour text-photos (some full-page), corner tips covers little worn, minor edgewear, base spine little rubbed, covers little scratched & rubbed. This book is based on international scientific research that has proved that Cretan cooking offers people good health and long life. It is based on the consumption of plenty of olive oil, vegetables, wild greens, pulses and cereals and less on the consumption of meat. Written with enthusiasm and a love of fine food which has been a way of life on Crete for centuries. ISBN: 9607448243. Our Book No: 27141. $20 AUD.
144. Rebo; Pie, American (translation & adaption) (2003). Greek: The Best Recipes from Sunny Greece to Your Kitchen for Creative Cooking. Enkhuizen, Netherlands: Rebo Publishers. 96 pp. Paperback quarto, very good plus condition, colour illustrations, minor edgewear. This book shows you the traditional Greek ways of cooking meats, vegetables, and herbs. The desserts add the final touch to a Greek meal. Translated from the Greek language. ISBN: 9036614694. Our Book No: 27316. $10 AUD.
145. Richardson, Matthew (2001). The Halstead Treasury of Ancient Science Fiction (1st ed). Sydney: Halstead Press. 191 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, cover corners lightly creased, rear cover scratched, covers lightly creased, minor edgewear. Consists of historical science fiction stories written in Japan, in Rome, and other places worldwide, edited with commentary by Richardson. Authors such as Cicero and Plato join forces with unknown writers of the ancient world. The translations from five different languages are vivid. Each story is followed by a brief commentary relating it to the science and writing of the times, with notes to explain the less obvious meanings. ISBN: 1875684646. Our Book No: 23373. $15 AUD.
146. Rietstap, J. B.; Rietmann, O. & Kelly, William (1867). Australie: De Jongste Zee-en Landreizen in dat Werelddeel, aan het Volk Verhaald. Leiden: Van den Heuvell & Van Santen. 274 pp. Hardback large octavo, very good condition, green cloth cover (gilt & black embosssed cover & spine), colour frontispiece, edges faintly foxed, minor edgewear & bumping corners, top spine little frayed, prize bookplate. (Estimated date, 1867, Ferguson 14922. Trove catalogue, 1870s.) A rare Dutch translation by Johannes Baptist Rietstap (1828 - 1891) of two books about travel to Australia and the south west Pacific islands in the 1850s. The first book is "Wanderungen in Australien und Polynesien" (in German language), by O. Rietmann. The second book is "Life in Victoria, or Victoria in 1853, and Victoria in 1858", by William Kelly. Frontispiece is chromolithograph of Sydney. Bookplate is prize awarded at Institution de Glimes, Anvers (dated 1876). Our Book No: 15603. $400 AUD.
147. Rinpoche, Dudjom; Translation Group, Padmakara (translator) (2001). Counsels from My heart (1st stated ed). Boston: Shambhala. 122 pp. Hardback small, dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), protected by semiarchival plastic sleeve (Brodart). This book features talks to students presented in Dudjom Rinpoche's characteristically incisive and direct style, bringing the timeless heart-counsels of this great Buddhist teacher - known for not mincing his words - vividly to life. ISBN: 1570628440. Our Book No: 25444. $15 AUD.
148. Rivolier, Jean; Wiles, Peter (translator) (1956). Emperor Penguins (1st ed). London: Elek Books. 131 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), black & white photos, light foxing edges, endpapers toned strips, minor wear fore-edge jacket (minor edgewear, small edge tears, top corner worn). The story of a wintering party who left France late in 1951 to relieve the French Antarctic base at Port-Martin. On board was a special detachment which had been selected to spend a year at Geology Point, a remote coastal area of Adelie Land which housed a colony of Emperor penguins. The men would observe and annotate the lives of the Emperors at close quarters from the moment the first penguin emerged from the unfrozen sea at the end of March until the day in late December when they swam away to spend the brief summer in a resort that man had never discovered. Our Book No: 25287. $15 AUD.
149. Rolfo, Father Luigi; Milella, Aloysius (translator) (1982). James Alberione: A Brief History of His Life, His Times, and His Work (1st English ed). Sydney, Homebush: St. Paul Publications. 113 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, few black & white photos at rear, faint foxing top edge, minor edgewear corners. Biography of the Italian founder of the Pauline Family, Father James Alberione. This biography reviews the highlights of Father Alberione's life - the man, the priest, the founder, the apostle, and as prophet. Our Book No: 28615. $15 AUD.
150. Sanmiguel, David; Frankbonner, Edgar Loy (translator) (2006). Art of Still Life Drawing (New, translated ed) [Art of Drawing]. New York: Sterling Publishing. 160 pp. Paperback wide quarto (with flaps), very good condition, black & white drawings, tiny scuff spine ends, minor edgewear. This book shows you how to draw still life with ease and confidence, one step at a time. This new edition to the "Art of Drawing" series covers all the still life fundamentals, from basic line drawing to chiaroscuro effects. Many illustrated examples and concise explanations are included for each technique. (Translated from the Spanish language.). ISBN: 9781402732843. Our Book No: 28551. $30 AUD.
151. Schachner, Robert (1912). Austraalia ja Uusi Seelanti: Maa, Kansa ja Talous (Mukaellen Suomensi A. K.). Jyvaskylassa: K. J. Gummerus Osakeyhtio. 61 pp. Paperback, good plus condition, card cover, pages lightly toned, spine little torn (repaired), minor edgewear. Title translation: "Australia and New Zealand: Country, Nation and Economy (Nicely translated by A.K.)". A pamphlet, translated (probably from German) into Finnish, about Australia and New Zealand up to the 1900s. (Robert Schachner, a German economist, wrote a series of letters from Australia during 1906 - 1907, about the supposed worker's paradise in Australia.). Our Book No: 16556. $30 AUD.
152. Schirmer, G.; Baker, Theodore (translator) (1948). Twenty-Four Italian Songs and Arias of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries: For Medium Low Voice [Schirmer's Library of Musical Classics, no 1723: Plate 41573]. New York: G. Schirmer. 100 pp. Hardback large quarto, blue cloth cover (gilt lettering), very good condition, rear cloth cover little scratched, endpapers toned, pages lightly toned, minor foxing, one folded sheet loose (misbound), minor edgewear, minor annotation contents page. Sheet music, in Italian language, with English translation (rebound edition). Includes: Per La Gloria D'adorarvi; Amarilli, Mia Bella; Alma Del Core; Come Raggio Di Sol; Sebben, Crudele; Vittoria, Mio Core!; Non Posso Disperar; Danza, Danza, Fanciulla Gentile; Vergin, Tutto Amor; Caro Mio Ben; O Del Mio Dolce Ardor; Che Fiero Costume; Pur Dicesti, O Bocca Bella; Il Mio Bel Foco; Lasciatemi Morire!; Nel Cor Piu Non Mi Sento; Se Tu M'ami, Se Sospiri; Nina (Attributed To Pergolesi); Gia Il Sole Dal Gange; Le Violette; O Cessate Di Piagarmi; Se Florindo E Fedele; Pieta, Signore!; Tu Lo Sai. Our Book No: 14641. $15 AUD.
153. Schleiner, Louise; McQuillen, Connie (translator) & Roller, Lynn E. (translator) (1994). Tudor & Stuart Women Writers (1st ed) [Women of Letters]. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press. 293 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear, tiny scuff top spine, small mark top edge. The author examines British women writers of the Tudor and Stuart periods, and their culture from the perspectives of feminism, Marxism, sociology, and cultural semiotics. This book is a comprehensive study of those women who were more than translators or diarists and who found individual voices in texts for public or semi-public circulation. Contains verse translations from Greek and Latin. ISBN: 0253208866. Our Book No: 27171. $15 AUD.
154. Schubert, Kurt (1959). The Dead Sea Community: Its Origin and Teachings (1st English ed). London: Adam & Charles Black. 178 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, spine & covers lightly creased, minor edgewear, owner's written name & date. Written by Professor of Jewish Religion and Culture in the University of Vienna. Translated from the German. The author has developed into this book the lectures on the texts of Khirbet Qumran which he delivered in the summer of 1957 at the University of Vienna. Our Book No: 22375. $12 AUD.
155. Schuon, Frithjof (1981). Sufism: Veil and Quintessence [Library of Traditional Wisdom]. Bloomington, IN: World Wisdom Books. 163 pp. Paperback trade, good condition, few rear page edge tips stained, spine lightly faded. The Swiss-born religious scholar compellingly describes the universal mystical (esoteric) core of Islam that is distinct from more exteriorized forms. ISBN: 0941532003. Our Book No: 12372. $10 AUD.
156. Solahudin; McCrae, Dave (translator) (2013). The Roots of Terrorism in Indonesia: From Darul Islam to Jema'ah Islamiyah. Sydney, Kensington: UNSW Press / Lowry Institute. 236 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, pages faintly toned as usual. Available for the first time in English, this groundbreaking book is an in-depth investigation of the development of jihadism from the earliest years of Indonesian independence in the late 1940s to the recent terrorist bombings. The Indonesian journalist shows with rare clarity that Indonesia's current struggle with terrorism has a long and complex history. Based on a remarkable array of documentary and oral sources, many of which have never before been publicly cited. This rigorous account fills many gaps in our knowledge of jihadist groups, how they interacted with the state and events abroad, and why they at times resorted to extreme violence, such as the 2002 Bali bombings. Translated from the Indonesian language. ISBN: 9781742233765. Our Book No: 16399. $25 AUD.
157. Solzhenitsyn, Alexander (1991). Rebuilding Russia: Reflections and Tentative Proposals (Manifesto For a Rebirth of Russia). London: Harvill / HarperCollins. 103 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition. Russia's most influential living writer sets out an agenda for the post-Communist future ithat involves democracy and free enterprise. Translated from Russian. ISBN: 000272149X. Our Book No: 13750. $10 AUD.
158. Sonn, Tamara (1996). Interpreting Islam: Bandali Jawzi's Islamic Intellectual History. New York: Oxford University Press. 206 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket). The first English translation of "The History of Intellectual Movements in Islam" (1928), a seminal text of Arab modernism, written by Paestinian intellectual Bandali alJawzi (1871 - 1942). The first Marxist interpretation of the history and development of Islamic thought. Valued for its critical method of reevaluating both European "orientalism" and classical Muslim heresiography. The source of weakness in both is a concern for vested imperial interest. ISBN: 0195100514. Our Book No: 15720. $50 AUD.
159. Sperber, Dan (1977). Rethinking Symbolism (Reprint ed) [Cambridge Studies in Social Anthropology]. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 153 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, figures, faint foxing top edge, small mark bottom edge, minor edgewear. This brilliant, original and witty book outlines a general theory of symbolism. He argues against a semiological conception of symbols (symbols have meaning as words do), and for a cognitive model in which symbols represent knowledge of the memory of things and words. Draws upon various anthropological and philosophical traditions, and his field work among the Dorze of Ethiopia. Translated from French language. ISBN: 0521099676. Our Book No: 23205. $10 AUD.
160. Staudt, Jean-Claude; Roots, Hilary (translator) & Island, Children of (illustrator) (1984). Legends of New Caledonia: A Collection of Legends from the Isle of Pines. City Not Stated: Sitmar Cruises. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback trade, stapled pamphlet, very good condition, card cover, colour drawings, top corner little creased pages & covers, minor edgewear. This collection of legends has been made with the help of the people of Isle of Pines, Saint Joseph's School, Vao, and the children. This small edition in English introduces the Isle of Pines. The wonderful drawings by the children of the island help to make this a very special little booklet. Our Book No: 21178. $10 AUD.
161. Stevens, Henry N.; Barwick, George F. (translator) (1930). New Light on the Discovery of Australia: As Revealed by the Journal of Captain Don Diego de Prado Y Torvar (1st ed). London: Henry Stevens, Son and Stiles. 261+3 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, very good condition, maroon cloth cover (gilt decoration & lettering, minimal flecking), maps (including foldouts), two maps in rear pocket, page edges untrimmed, endpapers & edges lightly foxed, spine ends chipped, minor edgewear, owner's written name & date & address. First edition. This book is based on the discovery of a long lost manuscript 'Relacion' by Captain Prado y Torvar, who accompanied Pedro Fernandez de Quiros on his famous voyage of exploration to the South Seas in 1605 - 1606. One of the most important finds of original historical material in modern times. With annotated translations from the Spanish by George F. Barwick. Our Book No: 16662. $100 AUD.
162. Stoler Miller, Barbara (1984). The Gitagovinda of Jayadeva: Love Song of the Dark Lord (Reprint ed) [Indian Series of the Translations Collection of the United Nations (UNESCO)]. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass. 225 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, tiny scuff top spine, small closed tear spine, minor edgewear. This dramatic lyrical poem, translated & edited here by Stoler Miller, is a unique work in Indian literature and a source of inspiration in both medieval and contemporary Vaisnavism. It describes the loves of Krsna and Radha in 12 cantos containing 24 songs. The poem is really a kind of drama, of the ragakavya type, since it is usually acted. ISBN: 8120803671. Our Book No: 28374. $15 AUD.
163. Street, Eloise (1963). Sepass Tales: The Songs of Y-Ail-Mihth. Chilliwack, BC: Sepass Trust. 110 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in good plus dustjacket), few black & white text-photos (including frontispiece), jacket little creased, top edge little foxed, minor edgewear, rubber stamp, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. Transcriptions of the Songs of Y-Ail-Mihth (The Ancient Singer), a creation myth of the American Indians, as recorded by Eloise Street. Chief Sepass of Chilliwack directed their translation and rhythmic cadence. The introduction on Chief Sepass and his people is by Oliver N. Wells, an authority on the Chilliwack tradition. Our Book No: 14568. $15 AUD.
164. Stumpf, George (1800). An Essay on the Practical History of Sheep in Spain, and of the Spanish Sheep in Saxony, Anhalt Dessau &c. (1st English ed). Dublin: Dublin Society / Printer: Graisberry & Campbell. 277 pp. Hardback (21.2 x 13.5 cm), rebound heritage cover (patterned leatherette spine, marbled boards, gilt spine lettering & bands), new endpapers, very good condition, black & white drawings, minimal foxing edges. First English edition. A scarce agricultural book, mainly by Stumpf but including essays by other agriculturalists, about the history and features of the Spanish (merino) sheep - upon which Australia's stock was originally based. Apart from Spain, the book also covers Germany, Sweden and America. This is the English translation (slightly condensed) of a German-language book, originally published in Leipsick (Leipzig), 1785. Contains textual reproductions of nine plates at the rear (numbered III - IX, XXI - XXII). AE 226-301. Our Book No: 12603. $350 AUD.
165. Summers, Ray (1994). Essentials of New Testament Greek (Reprint ed). Nashville, TN: Broadman Press. 171 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), fold-out chart attached to rear pastedown, pages lightly toned, top spine little bumped, minor edgewear jacket (reverse side lightly toned, tiny scuff spine, small mark top corner rear flap). (Copyright, 1950, but later ISBN printing.) This book begins with the basic matters of alphabet, pronunciation, and accent. The author has written a well organized and clearly stated textbook for use in seminary and college classes. It is divided into 33 lessons, in turn subdivided under the headings: Lexical Study, Grammatical Study, and Practical Application. Under the last appear exercises in translation of both Greek into English and English into Greek. A complete set of paradigms, and an adequate vocabulary are at the back of the book. ISBN: 080541309X. Our Book No: 27796. $15 AUD.
166. Sunshine Club, Members of (1975). Norfolk Island Cookery Book, with Local Words and Phrases. Norfolk Island: Greenways Press. 48 pp. Paperback very small, stapled pamphlet, card cover, very good condition. Estimated date: 1970s (Trove, this publisher). Last three pages contain Norfolk phrases and their English translation. Our Book No: 9223. $10 AUD.
167. Svendsen, Lars; Irons, John (translation) (2006). Fashion: A Philosophy (1st English ed). London: Reaktion Books. 188 pp. Paperback tall trade, very good condition, minor edgewear. Drawing on a range of commentators, from Adam Smith in the 18th century to Roland Barthes in more recent times, the author analyses fashion as a historical phenomenon and as a philosophy of aesthetics, and considers fashion's relationships to art, politics and philosophy. ISBN: 1861892918. Our Book No: 24999. $13 AUD.
168. Szlezak, Thomas A.; Zanker, Graham (translator) (1999). Reading Plato (1st English ed). London: Routledge. 137 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, faint foxing edges, top corner clipped front flyleaf, minor edgewear. This book offers a concise and illuminating insight into the complexities and difficulties of the Platonic dialogues which will be invaluable to any student of Plato's philosophy. ISBN: 0415189845. Our Book No: 27309. $20 AUD.
169. Tahka, Veikko (1984). The Patient - Doctor Relationship (Corrected ed). Sydney: ADIS Health Science Press. 206 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, fore-edge marked (pen stripe). Translated from Finnish. A Finnish psychiatry professor provides a detailed and subtly nuanced discussion of the doctor-patient relationship. Contains chapters on patient characteristics, doctor characteristics, factors affecting relationship, the medical interview, examining the patient, informing the patient, and treating the patient. ISBN: 0867920378. Our Book No: 16371. $15 AUD.
170. Takei, Naoki; Takano, Makoto (translation);Kondo, Miwako (illustrator), & Shibata, Yu (illustrator) (2001). Japanese Culture (1st stated ed) [Getting Closer to Japan]. Tokyo, Japan: ASK Co., Ltd. 95 pp. Paperback octavo, dustjacket, card covers, very good plus condition, black & white drawings, minor edgewear. This book is for business people new to Japan who may be having trouble in living, working, and understanding Japanese culture and the Japanese people. It will also interest anyone who would like to learn more about Japanese culture. ISBN: 4872170695. Our Book No: 25410. $10 AUD.
171. Tersac, Helene; Clement, Frederic (illustrator) (1983). The Animal's Ball (English, reprint ed). London: Green Tiger Press (A Star & Elephant Book). 33 pp. Hardback quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), tipped-in colour illustrations, faint foxing boards, edgewear corners & spine ends jacket (little rubbed & scuffed, small closed tear). Children's picture adventure story told by a little girl. She is in bed and cannot sleep. She leaves her bed and from the top of her stairs sees an amazing sight - wild animals walking on their hind legs, dressed in beautiful clothes, and having a party. The French painter Frederic Clement has illustrated this unusual story. Each painting brings the story to life, and each has a distinctive perfection. Winner of a Parent's Choice Remarkable Book award for art. Translated from French. ISBN: 0914676954. Our Book No: 27959. $25 AUD.
172. Thien Tam, Thich (1994). Buddhism of Wisdom & Faith: Pure Land Principles and Practice (5th ed) [Pure Land series]. Bronx, NY: Sutra Translation Committee of the United States and Canada. 363 pp. Paperback trade, card covers (with flaps), very good plus condition. (Estimated date, 1994, Trove catalogue.) The late Dharma Master Thich Thien Tam specialized in both the Pure Land and Esoteric traditions. This treatise, his best known work, is the outgrowth of a multi-year retreat devoted to the study of the Tripitaka, with emphasis on Pure Land related texts. Our Book No: 22522. $15 AUD.
173. Timmers, Leo (2010). Crow (1st Australian ed). Sydney, Mascot: Koala Books. Unnum 28 pp. Paperback small square quarto, very good condition, colour drawings, top corner rear cover creased, light creases internal pages, minor edgewear. A children's picture story about a crow who wanted to make friends with the small birds. Everyone is afraid of him, so he tries to change his colour. The easy-to-read text and bright illustrations suits all ages. (Translated from the Dutch.). ISBN: 9780864618177. Our Book No: 28684. $15 AUD.
174. Todorov, Tzvetan; Denner, Arthur (translator) (2001). The Fragility of Goodness: Why Bulgaria's Jews Survived the Holocaust (1st translated ed). Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. 197 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minor edgewear. This book is about an important part of Bulgarian history. With the exception of Denmark, Bulgaria was the only country allied with Nazi Germany that did not annihilate or hand over its Jewish population. The author has put together and explains for the first time key evidence, including letters, diaries, government reports, and memoirs. Most have never been translated into any language. ISBN: 0691115648. Our Book No: 28967. $18 AUD.
175. Tournier, Michel; Bray, Barbara (translator) (1997). The Ogre (Reprint ed). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. 373 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, minor edgewear. Winner of the Prix Goncourt, France's most prestigious literary award. This is a story of innocence, perversion, and obsession. It follows the passage of strange, gentle Abel Tiffauges from submissive schoolboy to "ogre" of the Nazi school at the castle Kaltenborn, taking us deep into the dark heart of fascism. A remarkable blend of myth and realism. ISBN: 080185590X. Our Book No: 27704. $18 AUD.
176. Tsuji, Masanobu; Howe, H.V. (editor); Lake, Margaret E. (translator) & Bennett, H. Gordon (introduction) (1988). Singapore 1941 - 1942: The Japanese Version of the Malayan Campaign of World War II (Reissue ed). Singapore: Oxford University Press (OUP). 358 pp. Paperback thick trade, very good condition, black & white text-photos, pages lightly toned, light foxing top edge, minor edgewear. This book was originally published in Australia in 1960 with the title of "Singapore: The Japanese Version". The book is both a work of military history and a personal narrative by the author who was the Japanese strategist who helped to plan the campaign. ISBN: 019588891X. Our Book No: 28612. $25 AUD.
177. Tzu, Sun; Cleary, Thomas (translator) (1988). The Art of War (Reprint ed) [Dragon Editions]. Boston: Shambhala. 174 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear. Thomas Cleary's translation of Sun Tzu's 2,000-year old classic Chinese military masterpiece. This translation by a Harvard academic best preserves the character and nuances of the Chinese original. An inspiration for Mao Tse Tung and countless generations of military leaders. It consists of 13 chapters that reflect the mind of a born military strategist and practical soldier whose maxims, full of acuteness and commonsense, relate as much to the present day as they do to the military conditions of the time in which they were written. Preceded by critical notes on Sun Tzu and his work and including key Chinese characters. Translated. ISBN: 0877734526. Our Book No: 3549. $10 AUD.
178. Tzu, Sun; Clavell, James (editor, foreword) (1990). The Art of War (Recent reprint ed). London: Hodder & Stoughton. 95 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear. Sun Tzu's 2,000-year old classic Chinese military masterpiece is here translated by Lionel Giles, and edited for clarity by Clavell. It consists of 13 chapters that reflect the mind of a born military strategist and practical soldier whose maxims, full of acuteness and commonsense, relate as much to the present day as they do to the military conditions of the time in which they were written. ISBN: 0340276045. Our Book No: 3891. $12 AUD.
179. Upfield, Arthur; Valencia, Michele (translator) (1998). The Melbourne Cup Mystery [French language]. La Tour d'Aigues: Editions de l'Aube. 221 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, loose wraparound label, minor edgewear corners. This novel by Arthur Upfield, initially published in 1933, was inspired by the strange death of Phar Lap of horseracing fame. This is a scarce French language edition. ISBN: 2876784580. Our Book No: 14793. $40 AUD.
180. van Meekeren, Erwin; Gunderson, Prof. Dr. John G. (foreword);Hurkmans, Willem (translation), & Kelly, Jackie (translation) (2003). Starry Starry Night: Life and Psychiatric History of Vincent van Gogh (1st ed). Amsterdam: Benecke N.I. 164 pp. Paperback wide trade, very good condition, black & white photos & drawings, colour replicas of paintings, minor edgewear. This book describes Vincent's life, his personality, the times in which he lived, and his psychiatric history. The book has been written by a psychiatrist, and it is intended for anyone with an interest in Van Gogh and his era. There is a small section with a limited number of colour replicas of his paintings. ISBN: 9073637570. Our Book No: 29031. $40 AUD.
181. Vazhakala, Fr Sebastian (2004). Life with Mother Teresa: My Thirty-Year Friendship With the Mother of the Poor. Cincinnati, OH: St. Anthony Messenger Press / Servent Books. 242 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white photos, barcode sticker inside rear cover, corner tips few pages little worn. The author worked closely with Mother Teresa for 30 years and was involved with her work in India. He tells stories of the founding of the Contemplative and the Lay Missionaries, and provides fresh insight into Mother Teresa: "timid and very sensitive by nature", but who surrendered everything to God in order to serve the poor. Through unedited letters (reproduced here), photos and anecdotes ranging from Mother Teresa's childhood in Albania, to her memory loss of later years, this special story gives a new portrait of both Mother Teresa and the inner spirit of the Missionaries of Charity. ISBN: 0867166223. Our Book No: 22649. $10 AUD.
182. Veith, Ilza (1970). Hysteria: The History of a Disease. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 301 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, figures, plates, minor edgewear, spine lightly rubbed, old price marks, owner's written name, minor biro annotation few pages. (Translated.) The author traces the varied manifestations of the term "hysteria" through history. Takes note of the medical, social, and even religious forces that combined to create the emotional climate of each epoch. ISBN: 0226852539. Our Book No: 23049. $14 AUD.
183. Verite, Marcelle; Ivanovsky, Elisabeth (illustrator) (1968). Tip Tip in the Sun (1st English ed). London: Geoffrey Chapman. Unnum 24 pp. Hardback small quarto, no jacket, pictorial boards, good condition, colour drawings, boards lightly scratched, spine ends lightly worn, two small sections rear fore-edge worn, few tiny dents top edge, hinges slightly loose, staples rusted, pages clean (no scribble), owner's written name & address front pastedown. A charming collectible children's story about a little sparrow who has many adventures and meets lots of new friends. The easy to read text and charming drawings will delight adults and children alike. A lovely old book to have, or add to any others about Tip Tip. Our Book No: 23206. $25 AUD.
184. Villa-Real, Ricardo; Bayes de Luna, Pilarin (illustrator); Taylor, Rene (translator) (1997). The Alhambra Told to Children (1st ed). Granada, Spain: Ediciones Miguel Sanchez. Unnum 38 pp. Paperback wide quarto, very good condition, colour drawings, minor edgewear & creasing. A story of Spanish history and legend (the Islamic palace in Granada), told by the grandfather to his three grandchildren and a small friend of theirs. One of the grandchildren wanted him to relate the story to other children, and this brief account was written. The many drawings will keep young minds busy for awhile. Translated from Spanish. ISBN: 8471690535. Our Book No: 28089. $10 AUD.
185. Villon, Francois (1931). The Book of Francois Villon: The Little Testament and Ballads (Reprint ed). Boston: International Pocket Library. 64 pp. Paperback very small, very good condition, minor edgewear. Little booklet of ballads from the French poet and "King of the Vagabonds", dated 1456. This is the famous English translation by Swinburne, Rosetti and Payne. Our Book No: 2888. $10 AUD.
186. Von Bingen, Hildegard; Throop, Priscilla (translator) & Elder Jacobsen, Mary (illustrator) (1998). Physica: The Complete English Translation of Her Classic Work on Health and Healing (1st English ed). Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press. 250 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), full-page black & white drawings, minor edgewear jacket (spine little faded). Hildegard von Bingen was born in Germany in 1098 and was a legendary healer, visionary, musician, artist, poet, and saint. This book is published in English in its entirety for the first time. Hildegard presents nine "books" of complementary healing systems: Plants, Elements, Trees, Stones, Fish, Birds, Animals, Reptiles, and Metals. Translated from the Latin language. ISBN: 0892816619. Our Book No: 28424. $25 AUD.
187. Waldenfels, Bernard (editor); Broekman, Jan M (editor); Pazanin, Ante (editor) (1984). Phenomenology and Marxism (1st translated ed) [International Library of Phenomenology and Moral Sciences]. london: Routledge Kegan & Paul. 315 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, very good condition, small mark fore-edge, light foxing top edge, owner's embossed name title page. The essays collected in this book were originally presented at a workshop which took place annually between 1975 and 1978 at the Inter-University Centre in Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia. ISBN: 0710098545. Our Book No: 25733. $15 AUD.
188. Wendt, Marlitt (2011). Trust Instead of Dominance: Working Towards a New Form of Ethical Horsemanship (1st English ed). Richmond Upon Thames: Cadmos Publishing. 126 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, colour text-photos, minor edgewear, covers little scratched. German behavioural scientist Marlitt Wendt explodes the widely held belief in the theory of dominance over the horse. Presents a new scientifically based concept which is founded instead on friendship as an ethical alternative. Marlitt covers a range of topics from herd behaviour, the concept of hierarchy through to an insight into current learning theory. ISBN: 9780857880017. Our Book No: 27144. $18 AUD.
189. Weninger, Brigitte; Tharlet, Eve (illustrator) (1996). Where Have You Gone, Davy? (1st ed). New York: North - South Books. Unnum 28 pp. Hardback quarto, no jacket, pictorial cover, very good plus condition, full-page colour illustrations. Children's picture story. A beautifully illustrated story about a rabbit named Davy, who gets the blame for breaking his Mother's china bowl. He runs away, and has many frightening adventures. His Mother finds him and tells him who really owned up to the broken bowl; he returns home and learns the true meaning of sharing. A charming book for any age. Translated from the German. ISBN: 1558586652. Our Book No: 22105. $14 AUD.
190. Wenqian, Gao; Rand, Peter (translator) & Sullivan, Lawrence S. (translator) (2007). Zhou Enlai: The Last Perfect Revolutionary (1st English ed). New York: Public Affairs. 345 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, minor edgewear, fore-edge lightly marked, owners name & date title page. Zhou Enlai was premier of the People's Republic of China from 1949 until his death in 1976. In this expanded English edition, included is additional historical and biographical background on Zhou Enlai and Chinese history. An objective look at the real Zhou. Zhou lived his life at the heart of Chinese politics for fifty years and survived Mao, Maoism, the Long March, the war against the Nationalists, and the Cultural Revolution. ISBN: 9781586484156. Our Book No: 27150. $15 AUD.
191. Wild, Margaret; Blackwood, Freya (illustrator) (2009). Samuel & Saltitao. Cordova, Portugal: Editorial Caminho. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback large square quarto, very good plus condition, colour drawings, top corner little bumped. Portuguese translation of the children's picture story "Harry & Hopper" (Omnibus, Gosford, 2009). Samuel and Saltitao his dog do everything together. At night, Saltibao sneaks past Dad and goes to sleep in Samuel's bed. One day, samuel comes home from school and his dog isn't there to greet him. Teaches children about the death of a loved pet dog. ISBN: 9789722120937. Our Book No: 14867. $20 AUD.
192. Wild, Margaret; King, Stephen Michael (illustrator); De Aquino, Gilda (translator) (2009). Porcolino e Vovo. Sao Paulo, Brazil: Brinque -Book. 36 pp. Paperback square quarto, as new condition, colour drawings. Brazilian translation of "Piglet and Granny", a children's picture story about life on a farm. ISBN: 9788574122878. Our Book No: 15191. $20 AUD.
193. Wong, Eva (1997). Harmonizing Yin and Yang: The Dragon-Tiger Classic. Boston: Shambhala. 146 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, figures, minor edgewear, old price marks. A manual of Taoist yoga: internal, external, and sexual. A translation of a concise Taoist alchemical manual known as the Dragon-Tiger Classic, along with its two most important commentaries. Translated & introduced by Wong. ISBN: 1570623066. Our Book No: 21661. $12 AUD.
194. Wyss, J. D. [as Wyss]; MM, Telery et Pegard, illustrators & Montolieu, Madame Isabelle de (translator) (1861). Le Robinson Suisse: Contenant la Suite Donnee par l'Auteur: Traduction Nouvelle. Paris: Morozot, Libraire-Editeur. 464 pp. Hardback small, no jacket, very good condition, brown cloth cover (embossed bands, gilt spine lettering & decoration), full-page black & white engravings, frontispiece engraving (tissue guard, toned & torn repaired), all edges gilt, flexible endpapers, edgewear, some foxing (mainly end pages & page edges), protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. A novel for young adults written in German in 1812, inspired by Defoe's Robinson Crusoe. It was translated by Montolieu into French in 1814, altering the ending. This is a later version of this French translation. A Swiss family is shipwrecked on a desert island en route to Port Jackson, New South Wales. Our Book No: 16805. $50 AUD.
195. Yampolsky, Philip B. (1971). The Zen Master Hakuin: Selected Writings (1st ed). New York: Columbia University Press. 253 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear, faint foxing top edge. This book is a general introduction to the teachings of Hakuin. Professor Yampolsky, the translator, also gives a brief historical survey and appraisal of Zen in Japan. Included is an appendix that describes briefly the voluminous works of Hakuin. ISBN: 0231060416. Our Book No: 26409. $20 AUD.
196. Yimikirli; Rockman Napaljarri, Peggy (translator & collector) & Cataldi, Lee (translator & collector) (1994). Warlpiri Dreamings and Histories (1st ed) [Sacred Literature]. San Francisco: HarperCollins. 193 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), colour photos centre spread, decorative black & white drawings, faint foxing reverse side jacket (minor edgewear), light toning edges. The living mythology of the Warlpiri people of central Australia. These creation myths (Jukurrpa or Dreaming) are the basis of the modern culture of these Australian Aboriginal people. Recorded and translated here for the first time are stories rich with insight into Aboriginal spirituality and life. ISBN: 0060661259. Our Book No: 28554. $25 AUD.