INTERNET BOOKSHOP: SELLING BOOKS SINCE 1998
ORDER 2 OR MORE BOOKS: RECEIVE 20% DISCOUNT !!
Equivalent to free postage
PO Box 176, Annandale NSW 2038, Australia.
Phone: (02) 9550-1258 (late afternoon or message).
BOOKS FOR SALE:
TRANSLATED BOOKS ** TRANSLATORS ** TRANSLATION
(Foreign Languages into English).
Check this on our online database, updated frequently !!
All books are in stock (except for a few recent sales). Plus postage at cost.
We offer 20% discount for orders of 2 or more books.
1. Alisjahbana, S. Takdir; Anderson, Benedict R. (translation) (1981). Indonesia: Social and Cultural Revolution (Reprint ed) [Oxford in Asia Paperbacks]. Oxford: Oxford University Press (OUP). 206 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, endpaper maps, minor edgewear, small bump top edge front cover, minor foxing edges, fore-edge creased few pages, owner's written name. This book is best described in the author's own words 'as a contemplation of Indonesian life'. The book is written in the form of essays rather than a reasoned series of chapters. It is the study of Indonesian culture, an autobiography, because the author writes in a personal manner and draws upon his own experiences to illustrate his points, and a commentary on the often obscure and baffling course of Indonesian politics before and after independence. ISBN: 0196380820. Our Book No: 27515. $15 AUD.
2. Aries, Philippe; Ranum, Patricia M. (translator) (1975). Western Attitudes Toward Death from the Middle Ages to the Present (Reprint ed). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. 111 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, black & white drawings, frontispiece, minimal edgewear. Traces the Western attitudes toward mortality from the early medieval conception of death as the familiar collective destiny of the human race, to the modern tendency not to speak about death. ISBN: 0801817625. Our Book No: 26631. $10 AUD.
3. Arlacchi, Pino; Steinberg, Jonathan (translator) (1983). Mafia, Peasants and Great Estates: Society in Traditional Calabria (1st translated ed). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (CUP). 212 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), tables, figures, edges lightly toned, top edge lightly foxed, reverse side jacket lightly foxed (faint foxing flaps, minor edgewear), faint foxing last two pages, owner's written name & date flyleaf. Written by a writer serving on the Italian Government Anti-Mafia Commission. Demonstrates that within the Italian region of Calabria there existed not one but a range of 'traditional' societies. Three are examined in detail: an area of independent peasant proprietors, producing crops on small plots of land,: one of market-oriented olive and wine production with an anarchic social structure based on the unpredictability of the harvest; and one dominated by great landed estates where the proprietors controlled a landless labor force. This book will be of interest to a wide range of sociologists, anthropologists, historians and development economists concerned with the nature of traditional societies and the impact of modernisation on them. ISBN: 0521251362. Our Book No: 27167. $15 AUD.
4. Aswany, Alaa Al; Wright, Jonathan (translator) (2011). On the State of Egypt: What Made the Revolution Inevitable. New York: Vintage. 192 pp. Paperback small trade, good condition, top corners two pages creased, pages lightly toned, faint foxing top edge, minor edgewear corner tips. This is a chronicle of Egyptian society, stating the most urgent issues - economic stagnation, police brutality, poverty, the harassment of women and of the Christian minority - that led to the overthrow of the Mubarak government. The author is one of Egypt's most acclaimed writers. Tranlated into English. ISBN: 9780307946980. Our Book No: 40458. $15 AUD.
5. Barroso, Gustavo; Cunninghame Graham, R. B. (translator) (1924). Mapirunga. London: Heinemann. 39 pp. Hardback small, no jacket (missing) as common, good condition, quarter-bound (white vellum spine, cream paper-covered board covers), gilt title on front cover & spine, covers & pages lightly toned, minimal faint foxing (mostly edges). (No 190 of a limited edition of 350 copies, autographed by the translator. Originally written in the Spanish language by Gustavo Barroso, and here translated, with an extended preface by R. B. Cunninghame Graham. Brazilian fiction - a short tale of revenge and honor defended in the Sertao region of Brazil. Our Book No: 16072. $30 AUD.
6. Bataille, Georges; Richardson, Michael (editor) (2006). The Absence of Myth: Writings on Surrealism (New ed). London: Verso. 211 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, rear cover creased, top & bottom corners some pages little creased, pages lightly toned, bottom corner front cover little creased, remainder stripe, small black texta mark rear cover. The most incisive study yet made of surrealism, insisting on its importance as an artistic cultural and social phenomenon with long-reaching consequences. The book explains Bataille's links with the surrealist movement, and puts new light on his complex and greatly misunderstood relationship with Andre Breton. (Translated from French by Richardson.). ISBN: 9781844675609. Our Book No: 30434. $20 AUD.
7. Bauby, Jean-Dominique; Leggatt, Jeremy (translator) (1997). The Diving-bell and the Butterfly (Reprint ed). London: Fourth Estate. 141 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), pages faintly toned as common, minor edgewear. In 1995, Jean-Dominique Bauby, the 43-year-old editor of French Elle, suffered a massive stroke that left him permanently paralyzed, a victim of "locked in syndrome." Once known for his gregariousness and wit, he found himself imprisoned in an inert body, able to communicate only by blinking his left eye. The miracle is that in doing so he was able to compose this stunningly eloquent memoir. In a voice that is by turns wistful and mischievous, angry and sardonic, Bauby gives us a celebration of the liberating power of consciousness. This triumphant book lets us witness an indomitable spirit and share in the pure joy of its own survival. ISBN: 1857027795. Our Book No: 17364. $20 AUD.
8. Baudouin, Charles; Paul, Eden (translator); Paul, Cedar (translator) (1945). Suggestion and Autosuggestion: A Psychological and Pedagogical Study Based upon the Investigations Made by the New Nancy School (2nd, reprint ed). London: George Allen & Unwin. 288 pp. Hardback small, no jacket (missing), blue cloth cover, good condition, front inner hinge little split (pages firm), cloth cover lightly flecked (spine lightly faded, minor edgewear), endpapers & edges lightly foxed, pages lightly toned, bookplate, non-author written dedication. An exposition of Coue's theory of autosuggestion as the explanation for hypnosis, and the Nancy School that practiced this theory. Translated from the French. Our Book No: 13644. $10 AUD.
9. Bauerdick, Rolf; Dollenmayer, David (translator) (2013). The Madonna on the Moon (1st translated ed). London: Atlantic Books. 401 pp. Paperback thick trade, very good condition, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear corners. This crime fiction novel is set in a fictitious country. To emphasize its fictionality, the diacritics required by the Romanian spelling of the names of persons, places, and things have been dispensed with. In November 1957, as communism tightens its hold on Eastern Europe, strange events are beginning to upend daily life in Baia Luna, a small village at the foot of the Carpathian Mountains. Pavel Botev (15-yo) notices that the village's sacred Madonna statue has been stolen and the priest is found murdered in the rectory. Pavel's search for the answers to the mystery lead him into the frontiers of a new world, changing his life forever. Winner of the European Book Prize 2012. (First published as "Wie die Madonna auf den Mond Kam" in Germany.). ISBN: 9781848875043. Our Book No: 28983. $15 AUD.
10. Behrens-Kley, Theodor Heinrich; Stevens, Richard E. (translator) (1988). Microscopical Identification of Organic Compounds (Reprint ed). Chicago: Microscope Publications. 234 pp. Paperback quarto, thin card covers, very good condition, tables, few figures, minor edgewear corners, few tiny creases & edge tears front cover, owner's rubber stamps including edges. From the German original, published by Leopold Voss, Leipzig 1922. This translation represents the first systematic classification in English of organic materials, based on the microscopical properties of crystalline compounds and their derivatives. SALE PRICE. Our Book No: 25600. $40 AUD.
11. Beliveau, Richard; Gingras, Denis (2006). Foods that Fight Cancer: Preventing and Treating Cancer through the Diet. Sydney, Crows Nest: Allen & Unwin. 214 pp. Paperback small square quarto, very good condition, colour text-photos, full-page colour photos, red spine lettering little faded as usual, minor edgewear. Two French-Canadian medical researchers describe how certain foods fight cancer. An understanding of the science behind these therapeutic benefits reveal why it is essential to add these foods to our diet, and how easily it can be done. Translated from French. ISBN: 9781741750102. Our Book No: 15142. $30 AUD.
12. Bernier, Francois (1909). Bernier's Voyage to the East Indies, Containing the History of the Late Revolution of the Empire of the Great Mogul [etc]. Calcutta: Society for the Resuscitation of Indian Literature / H. C. Dass, for Elysium Press. 203 pp. Hardback octavo, good plus condition, no jacket, rebound quarter-bound (blue speckled paper-covered boards, black cloth spine with vertical paper title label), title page moderately foxed, corner tip clipped title page & few rear pages, pages lightly toned (edges toned), cover corners worn, minor edgewear. First English translated edition. Title continues: "Together with the most considerable passages for five years following in that empire, to which is added, a letter to the Lord Colbert, touching the extent of Hindustan the circulation the Gold and Silver of the World, to discharge itself there; as also the Riches, Forces and Justice of the same; and the principal Cause of the Decay of the States of Asia, with an exact description of Delhi and Agra, together with  Some particulars making known the Court and Genius of the Moguls and Indians; as also the Doctrine and extravagant Superstitions and Customs of the Heathens of Hindustan, [II] The Emperor of Mogul's Voyage to the Kingdom of Kasmere in 1664, called the Paradise of the Indies". Our Book No: 13120. $100 AUD.
13. Betro, Maria Carmela; George, Amanda S. (translated); Bockol, Leslie J. (editor) (1996). Hieroglyphics: The Writings of Ancient Egypt (1st stated, reprint ed). New York: Abbeville Press. 251 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), frontispiece, map, black & white photos & drawings, single-colour drawings, minor edgewear jacket (bottom corner little rubbed). This complete handbook details the secrets of the hieroglyphic writing of the Nile Valley, being a still-vivid look at the gods, the people, and the everyday life of the Ancient Egyptians. This fascinating book traces the origins and the meaning of each sign, as well as its graphic stylization. There is a complete glossary, a bibliography, and an index. The book is a valuable resource for the casual reader, students and specialists. ISBN: 0789202328. Our Book No: 28745. $30 AUD.
14. Bjork, Christina; Anderson, Lena (illustrator); Sandin, Joan (translation) (1992). Linnea in Monet's Garden (Reprint ed) [Linnea Books]. New York: R. & S. Books. 53 pp. Hardback large octavo, no jacket as issued, very good condition, pictorial cover, colour & black & white photos & drawings, faint foxing top edge. Linnea visits Monet's garden. The beautiful illustrations and photos make this delightful children's picture book a joy to look at and learn about the French artist. ISBN: 9129583144. Our Book No: 21049. $12 AUD.
15. Black, Keda; Chadwick, Alice (illustrator; Rooney, Deirdre (photographer) (2011). The Illustrated Student Cookbook: A Step-by-step Guide to Everyday Essentials (1st English ed). London: Murdoch Books. 34 pp. Hardback quarto, no jacket, very good condition, pictorial covers, black & white & single-colour drawings, colour text-photos, top corners minimally bumped, tiny dent fore-edge front cover, black texta spot bottom edge. This book for students has been written to help them prepare a cheap and healthy meal. The book tells you what you need, there are 30 plus recipes to fit any occasion, and details on how to prepare the meal with photos to show the final result. (Translated from the French.). ISBN: 9781742663418. Our Book No: 30530. $25 AUD.
16. Blofeld, John (1980). Gateway to Wisdom: Taoist and Buddhist Contemplative and Healing Yogas Adapted for Western Students of the Way. Boulder: Shambhala. 214 pp. Paperback small octavo, good condition, few black & white text-photos, edges foxed & rubbed, edgewear, sticker mark front cover, rubber stamp. Largely a manual of the practice of contemplative yogas and healing practices adapted from Chinese and Tibetan teachings. For the use of Western meditators who do not have access to qualified masters as teachers. Blofeld is a British writer who lived for many years in China before the communist takeover. ISBN: 0394738780. Our Book No: 4003. $10 AUD.
17. Bohny, Nicholas (1982). The New Picture Book, being Pictorial Lessons on Form, Comparison, and Number, for Children Under Seven Years of Age, with Explanations [Facsimile Editions, Osborne Collection of Early Children's Books, Toronto Public Library]. London / Tokyo: Bodley Head / Holp Shuppan. 36 pp. Hardback oblong folio, very good plus condition, colour plates, pictorial board cover (red cloth spine), in cardboard slipcase. Facsimile edition. The 36 single-sided pages of colour drawings, two or three per page, each picture of familiar things, has a caption underneath asking questions about the picture. Originally published in Germany, 1850, then (English translation) in Edinburgh by Edmonston & Douglas, 1858. By German educator, who believed that children initially learn by doing and visualising pictures. Inspired by Froebel's Kindergarten movement, involving creative play. (One of a set of 35 handsome facsimiles in 28 slipcases.). Our Book No: 16943. $50 AUD.
18. Bolliger, Max; Lenica, Jan (illustrator); Bell, Anthea (translation) (1986). The Magic Bird (1st ed). London: Andersen / Hutchinson of Australia. Unnum 24 pp. Hardback small quarto, no jacket, very good condition, pictorial cover, full-page colour drawings, cover corners bumped, tiny tear at cover join to spine, spine ends little bumped, minimal EX-LIBRARY (rubber stamp & label remains inside rear cover), top corner tips few pages little creased. A children's picture story, being a German fable about reconciliation. The last giant and the last dwarf on earth spend their time tormenting each other until they unite to try to save a little bird's life. The bright drawings will appeal to all ages. ISBN: 0862641462. Our Book No: 27470. $20 AUD.
19. Bonaparte, Napoleon; Luvaas, Jay (editor) (2001). Napoleon on the Art of War (New ed). New York: Touchstone / Simon & Schuster. 196 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, bottom corner last page creased, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. The editor spent over three decades poring through the 32 volumes of Napoleon's correspondence, carefully translating and editing all of his writings on the art of war, and arranging them into seamless essays. The author is a military historian who has brought together in one volume the military genius of Napoleon. This fascinating book will interest anyone interested in military writing, students of history, and business leaders looking for insights on strategy (selected, edited, translated. ISBN: 0684872714. Our Book No: 30573. $15 AUD.
20. Bonhoeffer, Dietrich; Noble, Bernard (translator); Wolf, Ernst (introduction) (1962). Act and Being. London: Collins. 192 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), flyleaves & edges lightly foxed, owner's rubber stamps (crossed out), minor text annotation, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. One of the German theologian's earliest writings, presented to the University of Berlin in 1931. Its two themes are transcendental philosophy and ontology, seen as underlying two theological tendencies: theology of act, and theology of being. Our Book No: 13938. $20 AUD.
21. Boulle, Pierre; Fielding, Xan (translator) (1984). The Bridge on the River Kwai (Reprint ed). Isle of Man: Fontana Books. 157 pp. Paperback, very good condition, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. Cover subtitle: "His famous novel of British POWs in the hell of a Japanese labour camp". ISBN: 0006161189. Our Book No: 24791. $10 AUD.
22. Breunesse, Caroline; McCreadie, Catherine (translator) (1997). Visiting Vincent van Gogh [Adventures in Art]. Munich: Prestel-Verlag. 28 pp. Hardback small quarto, pictorial cover, very good plus condition, colour drawings. This series opens up the world of art to children of all ages. This very special children's picture book visits the different places where the famous Dutch artist lived and worked, and shows how he saw the world which he captured in his brightly coloured paintings. ISBN: 3791318764. Our Book No: 25128. $12 AUD.
23. Carrion, Jorge; Bush, Peter (translator) (2016). Bookshops (1st U.K. ed). London: Maclehose Press. 304 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white text-photos, minor edgewear jacket. This fascinating book is a travelogue of a lucid and curious observer, full of anecdotes and stories from the universe of writing, publishing and selling books. The author travels to Shakespeare & Co in Paris, Wells in Winchester, Green Apple Books in San Francisco, Librairie des Colonnes in Tangier, and The Strand Book Store in New York. The author touches on the role of bookshops in today's ever-changing climate of globalisation, disappearing high streets, and e-readers, and gives a compelling case for hope. He underlines the importance of bookshops and the magic that happens there. (Translated from Spanish.). ISBN: 9780857054449. Our Book No: 30218. $20 AUD.
24. Cassinelli, Gino Del Sante (editor); Huaman Chang, Daniel (photos); Light, Stephen (translation) (2006). Flowers of Machu Picchu Including Orchids (1st ed). Peru: Publisher Not Stated. 120 pp. Paperback wide trade, card covers (with flaps), very good condition, map, colour text-photos (some full-page), faint foxing title page & top edge inside rear cover, small dent top edge rear cover, minor edgewear. This book describes and illustrates 96 of the most distinctive flowers of the Machu Picchu Historical Sanctuary. It is a simple field guide designed for the non-specialist visitor walking any section of the Inca Trail or touring the citadel of Machu Picchu in Peru. ISBN: 9972917223. Our Book No: 27147. $30 AUD.
25. Chirichigno, Patrizia (editor); Mugnai, Lisa (chef); Hili, John Luke (dietician); Dryburgh, Shona (translator) (2009). Portuguese Cooking (Reprint ed). Florence, Italy: Casa Editrice Bonechi. 127 pp. Paperback small quarto, thick card covers (with flaps), very good plus condition, colour photos, minimal edgewear. This book is an unforgettable journey into the wonderful flavours and colours of this fascinating country. The flaps inside the covers give a rich description of Portugal and the people as well as the foods that make up the culture of Portugal. ISBN: 9788847609211. Our Book No: 26622. $18 AUD.
26. Cleary, J. C. (1991). Worldly Wisdom: Confucian Teachings of the Ming Dynasty (1st stated ed) [Shambhala Dragon Editions]. Boston: Shambhala. 172 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, illustrated endpapers, edges & pages lightly toned, small scuff rear cover, minor edgewear. This book has a selection of passages from leading Chinese thinkers of the later Ming dynasty (16th-17th centuries), a peak period of Confucian creativity influenced by Buddhism and Taoism. Translated and edited by Cleary. ISBN: 0877736014. Our Book No: 27929. $15 AUD.
27. Cleary, Thomas (1997). The Five Houses of Zen (1st stated ed) [Shambhala Dragon]. Boston: Shambhala. 167 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear, cover corners lightly worn, faint foxing edges, sticker marker front flyleaf. This book presents the Zen Buddhist teachings that arose in China during the ninth and tenth centuries. Many of the teachings presented here are translated for the first time by Thomas Cleary. ISBN: 1570622922. Our Book No: 26410. $13 AUD.
28. Cleary, Thomas (1999). Zen and the Art of Insight (1st stated ed) [Shambhala Dragon]. Boston: Shambhala. 159 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, decorative free flyleaves, minor edgewear, bump top edge near spine, tiny scuff top spine, base spine sightly rubbed. Cleary (selector & translator) has gathered key selections from throughout the Prajnaparamita - to present the key teachings as exercises in learning freedom. ISBN: 1570625166. Our Book No: 27243. $15 AUD.
29. Cragg, Kenneth (1995). Readings in the Qur'an: Selected and Translated With an Introductory Essay (Reprint ed). London: Fount / HarperCollinsReligious. 389 pp. Paperback thick trade, very good condition, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear, sticker mark inside rear cover. This new translation into lucid modern English opens the way to a fuller meeting with the mind of the Qur'an [Koran], for both new readers and scholars. Abridged to two-thirds of its original length, the readings present the whole substance of the Qur'an. ISBN: 0006279597. Our Book No: 22157. $10 AUD.
30. Crozet, Lieut. Julien Marie; Roth, Henry Ling (translator); Boose, Jas R. (1891). Crozet's Voyage to Tasmania, New Zealand, and the Ladrone Islands, and the Philippines, in the Years 1771 - 1772. With a Preface and Brief Reference to the Literature of New Zealand by Jas. R. Boose, Librarian of the Colonial Institute (1st English ed). London: Truslove & Shirley. 148 pp. Hardback (22.4 x 15.0 cm), original publisher's brown cloth cover (little faded, notably top half front cover), gilt spine lettering, good plus condition, black endpapers, top edge gilt, appendices, index, fold-out single-colour map (small tear near spine), black & white plates (including frontispiece), black & white drawings (some full-page, one fold-out), front inner hinge lightly split, corners lightly bumped (spine ends chipped), edgewear. (First English language edition. Limited edition of 500 copies, this being copy 454, initialled by the translator.) Originally published in French in 1783, edited from Crozet's papers by the Abbe Rochon. The only printed account of a voyage to search for Terra Australis to serve as an alternate French base on the route to India, and thus cut off British shipping lanes in times of war. They discovered the Crozet Islands and visited Tasmania. On reaching New Zealand, Captain Marion Dufresne and 26 of his crew were killed by Maoris at the Bay of Islands. Crozet became captain of the Mascarin on its homeward journey via Guam, the Philippines, and Mauritius. Our Book No: 12816. $250 AUD.
31. Dahimene, Adelheid; Stollinger, Heide; Chidey, Catherine (translator); Todd, Penelope (editor) (2005). Donkeys (1st English ed). Wellington, NZ: Gecko Press. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, full-page colour drawings, minor edgewear. This is a children’s story of two donkeys who have loved each other for many years, and then they have a silly argument. They each go away to find someone new, but find the task impossible. The illustrations make this a beautiful book to be enjoyed by older children and adults alike. Winner of the 2003 White Raven award, Bologna International Book Fair. (Originally published 2002 in Austria under the title Esel by Niederosterreichisches Pressehaus.). ISBN: 0958259801. Our Book No: 40088. $20 AUD.
32. de Alarcon, Pedro Antonio (2004). The Three-cornered Hat. London: Hesperus Classics. 100 pp. Paperback trade (with flaps), very good plus condition, minimal edgewear. A best-loved Spanish novel, based on a traditional ballad. A hilarious tale of lust, intrigue and corruption set in 19th-century Andalusia. ISBN: 1843910802. Our Book No: 15785. $10 AUD.
33. de Dillmont, Therese (1920). Encyclopedia of Needlework (Revised & Enlarged ed). Mulhouse, France: D.M.C. Library / Printed by Societie Anonyme DMC. 800 pp. Hardback thick very small, no jacket as issued, very good condition, olive green cloth cover (spine faintly faded), black patterned endpapers, top edge gilt, colour & black & white plates, black & white drawings, front hinge little split (pages firm), minor edgewear. Published by Dollfus-Meig & Co (DMC), now 940,000 copies in print. Part of the DMC Library of books explaining needlework (listed on rear pages). This classic encyclopedia was initially published in French in 1886. An undated early English translation (this copy estimated about 1920). This revised and enlarged edition contains 11 coloured plates and over 1000 drawings. Dillmont owned a string of shops in European capitals, and was a pioneer in promoting needlework as a hobby. Our Book No: 16936. $50 AUD.
34. Derrida, Jacques; Bennington, Geoffrey (translator); Bowlby, Rachel (translator) (1991). Of Spirit: Heidegger and the Question (Reprint ed). Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 139 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, small mark top edge, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. From translator's note: The text translated here is that of a lecture on spirituality given 14 March 1987, at the end of a conference organized by the College International de Philosophie in Paris, entitled "Heidegger: Open Questions". The notes were naturally added later. The translators give references wherever possible to English versions of the texts by Heidegger cited by Jacques Derrida. The translator's have retranslated throughout in the interests of consistency and proximity to the versions used by Derrida. ISBN: 0226143198. Our Book No: 29678. $18 AUD.
35. Doyle, John W. (1948). Adam: A Play: Translated from the Anglo-Norman. Sydney: Shakespeare Head Press. 77 pp. Hardback small, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white plates, few tiny edge tears jacket (lightly marked), tiny bump top corner cover. This is the first English-language version of "Adam", the greatest surviving medieval (Anglo-Norman) vernacular play (12th-century). The present translation by John Doyle has been made from Professor Studer's edition of the unique manuscript in the Tours Municipal Library, London. Our Book No: 23980. $10 AUD.
36. Ernst, Carl W.; Lawrence, Bruce B. (2002). Sufi Martyrs of Love: The Chishti Order in South Asia and Beyond (1st ed). New York: Palgrave Macmillan. 241 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, few black & white & text-photos, map. Sufism is the mystical branch of Islam. Provides access to the voices of Sufi authorities through the translation of texts being offered in English for the first time (particularly the Chishti Order in India and neighboring countries). It also offers a critical perspective on Western attitudes toward Islam and Sufism, confronts the prejudices of academics and the media, and clarifies the contemporary importance of Sufism from Asia to America. ISBN: 1403960275. Our Book No: 22671. $15 AUD.
37. Expedition Supporter's Association, Shirase Antarctic; Dagnell, Lara (translator); Shibata, Hilary (translator) (2011). The Japanese South Polar Expedition 1910 - 12: A Record of Antarctica. Bluntisham, Huntingdon / Eccles, Norwich: Bluntisham Books / Erskine Press. 414 pp. Hardback large octavo, very good condition, red boards (gilt title & decorations), map, black & white text-photos & drawings, colour photos, tables, top spine little marked & bumped, autograph (translators written names title page). Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. This Antarctic expedition was Japan's first venture into the world of international exploration. This account of the expedition is based on the records, reports and statements of those who took part in the expedition, both expedition members and the officers and crew of Kainan-maru. There are 60 pages of plates showing photos taken by the Japanese Antarctic Expedition, about 50 sketches of the polar regions, four three-tone colour reproductions, and a double-page Colortype photoengraving. A great piece of history for anyone interested in Antarctica. ISBN: 9781852971090. Our Book No: 28468. $80 AUD.
38. Ferranti, Marie; Brown, Andrew (translator) (2005). The Princess of Mantua (1st translated ed). London: Hesperus Press. 116 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket, top edge lightly toned. The author has used historical facts and documentary references, to write this docufiction historical novel (faction). It is set in France in 1433. The ten-year-old Barbara von Brandenburg leaves her native Germany to marry the Prince of Mantua, Ludovico Gonzaga. Translated from French. ISBN: 1843917025. Our Book No: 29068. $15 AUD.
39. Fest, Joachim C. (1970). The Face of the Third Reich: Portraits of the Nazi Leadership (English ed). New York: Ace Books. 605 pp. Paperback thick trade, good condition, coloured edges faded, pages lightly toned, white background covers lightly marked, texta mark front cover & spine, old price marks. The author focuses on one major figure per chapter to describe the lives of the Nazi leaders of the Third Reich. Our Book No: 24657. $10 AUD.
40. Fijlstra, Rob; Wullings, Harry; Ellis, Jonathan (translator); de Jeu-Horwin, Amie (translator) (2004). Honesty - the Best Policy: A Remedy Against Alienation, Cynicism and Powerlessness. London: Cyan / Scriptum. 157 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good dustjacket), tables, figures, minimal edgewear jacket. Written so that readers can improve their life and fully participate in society. ISBN: 1904879144. Our Book No: 24846. $15 AUD.
41. Finzi, Roberto; Jackson, Maud (1999). Anti-Semitism from Its European Roots to the Holocaust (1st translated ed) [Windrush History of the 20th Century]. Gloucestershire: Windrush Press. 127 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, black & white & colour sketches & photos, few cartoons, colour maps, minimal edgewear. Succinct history of the major expressions of modern anti-Semitism from the 19th century to the present day, including the infamous Dreyfus case. There are over 100 archive photos, colour maps & illustrations. ISBN: 1900624168. Our Book No: 25666. $13 AUD.
42. Flournoy, Theodore (Th.); Jung, C. G. (foreword); Cifali, Mireille (commentary); Shamdasani, Sonu (editor) (1994). From India to the Planet Mars: A Case of Multiple Personalities with Imaginary Languages. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. 457 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket as issued, black cloth cover, as new condition. (Originally published in English, translated from French, in 1900 - this is 1994 edition.) Psychology professor (University of Geneva) investigates a famous medium, Helene Smith, who claimed reincarnation as a Queen in 15th century India, as well as reincarnation on the Planet Mars! The 1900 (1st English) edition was an unstated abridgement. All passages, including Flournoy's preface, is available in this volume for the first time in English. ISBN: 0691034079. Our Book No: 14692. $40 AUD.
43. Fremantle, Francesca; Trungpa, Chogyam (2000). The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo by Guru Rinpoche According to Karma Lingpa (Reprint ed) [Shambhala Dragon Editions]. Boston: Shambhala South Asia / Printed in India. 119 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, bottom corner creased & sticker mark rear cover, minor edgewear. This ancient scripture was traditionally read aloud to the dying to help them attain liberation. The current translation emphasizes the practical advice that the book offers to the living as well. The insightful commentary by Fremantle and Trungpa explains the teachings about human psychology. Of interest to people concerned with death and dying as well as those who seek spiritual understanding in everyday life. ISBN: 1569571260. Our Book No: 10673. $12 AUD.
44. Fulop Kepner, Susan (1996). The Lioness in Bloom: Modern Thai Fiction About Women [Voices From Asia Series]. Berkeley: University of California / Publisher's Inc. 310 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, minimal edgewear. Translations of fiction by Thailand's foremost 20th-century writers. Included are stories of the young and the aged, the rural and the cosmopolitan, the joyous and the despairing. The editor provides a detailed introduction, biographical notes on the writers, and a list of further readings. This anthology of short stories and novel excerpts presents a compelling portrayal of the many differing realities of Thai women's lives in the 20th century. ISBN: 0520089030. Our Book No: 27896. $15 AUD.
45. Geda, Fabio; Curtis, Howard (translator) (2011). In the Sea There are Crocodiles: The Story of Enaiatollah Akbari. Oxford: David Fickling Books. 211 pp. Hardback small, dustjacket, map, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket, pages faintly toned. One day, a 10-year-old boy named Enaiatollah wakes up to find his mother gone. He is on the border of Pakistan, and he is alone. In this amazing true story, the author describes Enaiatollah's five-year journey from Afghanistan to Italy. His ordeal takes him through Pakistan, Iran, Turkey and Greece, enduring unimaginable hardships and challenges. The book is based on a true story, but because Enaiatollah did not remember it all, the author and Enaiatollah reconstructed his journey to recreate a chronology for his fragmented memories. Thus a work of fiction, though based on Enaiatollah's experience. (Translated from the Italian.). ISBN: 9780857560087. Our Book No: 29052. $12 AUD.
46. Gernhardt, Almut (illustrator); Gernhardt, Robert; Talbot, Kathrine (translator) (1980). What a Day! (1st translated ed). London: Jonathan Cape. Unnum 28 pp. Hardback small quarto, pictorial cover, very good condition, delightful colour drawings, spine ends & cover corners little rubbed, flyleaves & title page little toned & foxed, edges lightly foxed. A children's picture book originally published in Germany under the title "Was fur ein Tag" in 1978. A collection of verse and sketches about cats. The life-like illustrations would appeal to any age. ISBN: 0224018442. Our Book No: 29105. $15 AUD.
47. Gessner, Solomon (1776). New Idylles, Translated by W. Hooper M. D., with a Letter to M. Fuslin, on Landscape Painting and the Two Friends of Bourbon, a Moral Tale by M. Diderot (1st ed) [New Idyls, by Solomon Gessner]. London, Ludgate Hill: S. Hooper (Printed by G. Robinson, Paternoster Row). 129 pp. Hardback quarto (28.5 x 19.5 cm), very good condition, full-leather cover, original leather-covered boards (scratched, moderate edgewear), presumed new leather spine (raised bands, green title label, gilt motifs & title), new endpapers, black & white full-page engravings, black & white vignette (head and tail) engravings, minor foxing some pages, edges toned. Heavy (1.0 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. First edition. Spelling note: "Idylles" on title page, but "Idyls" on page facing title page and on spine. Contains copperplate engravings: nine full-page plates and 13 vignettes. The popular Swiss poet (1730 - 1788) here provides 21 delightful prose pieces in the style of the future Romantic movement in literature. Our Book No: 14789. $160 AUD.
48. Goldsmith, Merle (1994). The Trail Blazers: Pioneers of the South American Missionary Society. Sydney, Ryde: South American Missionary Society (SAMS). 132 pp. Paperback wide trade, very good plus condition. Chapter-long biographies of pioneers of the South American Missionary Society (SAMS), a division of the Anglican Church. Includes the first martyr, the first translator, the first bishop, the "David Livingstone" of South America, and the first Australian missionary. ISBN: 095912473X. Our Book No: 14404. $10 AUD.
49. Grass, Gunter; Heim, Michael Henry (translator) (1999). My Century (1st ed). London: Faber & Faber. 280 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket, tiny spot top edge, pages lightly toned. By winner of Nobel Prize for Literature, 1999. A series of 100 linked short stories to celebrate the 20th century (1900 to 1999). ISBN: 0571200990. Our Book No: 14245. $15 AUD.
50. Grass, Gunter; Heim, Michael Henry (translator) (2008). Peeling the Onion (Reprint ed). London: Vintage / Random House. 425 pp. Paperback thick trade, very good condition, cover little creased, minor edgewear. By the winner of Nobel Prize for Literature, 1999. Translated from the German. The German author writes about his life from his modest upbringing in Danzig, his early years as a boy soldier fighting the Russians, and his writing life. ISBN: 9780099507598. Our Book No: 26268. $15 AUD.
51. Grass, Gunter; Winston, Krishna (translator) (2010). The Box (1st English ed). London: Harvill Secker / Random House. 194 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), black & white photo rear jacket flap, minimal edgewear jacket. By winner of Nobel Prize for Literature, 1999. Translated from the German. This is a sequel to "Peeling the Onion". The German author writes in the voices of his eight children as they record the memories of their childhoods, of growing up, of their father, who was always at work on a new book, always at the margins of their lives. This book is an inspired and daring work of fiction (faction). ISBN: 9781846553073. Our Book No: 26269. $14 AUD.
52. Guarnieri, Patrizia (1993). A Case of Child Murder: Law and Science in Nineteenth-century Tuscany. Cambridge: Polity Press. 210 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor crease first few pages, minor creases & edgewear jacket. Between 1873 and 1875 four children disappeared without trace from a small village in Tuscany. The suspect was caught and brought to trial. Examines in detail the murder trial: the brief investigation leading quickly to the confession of the alleged killer and his indictment, the course of the insanity trial that followed, the enormous attention it drew, and the medical, legal and public reactions to the conviction. A meticulous and engaging reconstruction of an important episode in the history of law and medicine. ISBN: 0745609031. Our Book No: 22977. $10 AUD.
53. Gustafsson, Lars (1981). The Death of a Beekeeper. New York: New Directions Publishing. 163 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), light foxing edges, edge tears jacket (small loss), protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. In the beginning of the winter thaw, Lars Lennart Westin has learned that he has cancer and will not live through Spring. Told through the journals of this Swedish school teacher turned apiarist, this novel is his gentle, courageous, and sometimes comic meditation on living with pain. ISBN: 0811208095. Our Book No: 23283. $12 AUD.
54. Gyatso, Palden; Lama, Dalai (foreword); Shakya, Tsering (translator); Piggott, Reginald (maps) (1997). The Autobiography of a Tibetan Monk (Reprint ed). New York: Grove Press. 232 pp. Paperback trade, good condition, a few black & white photos, corner tips covers lightly creased, minor edgewear, few scuffs, light stain bottom edge, few tiny spots top edge, old tape mark front cover. The author was born in a Tibetan village in 1933 and became an ordained Buddhist monk at 18. In 1967, the Chinese destroyed monasteries across Tibet and thousands of monks were put in labor camps and prisons. Gyatso spent the next 25 years enduring torture and interrogation because of the strength of his beliefs. Reveals the resilience of the human spirit, and the strength of Tibet's proud civilization. Since his release in 1992, the author has continued to struggle for freedom for the hundreds of political prisoners behind bars in Tibet. ISBN: 9780802135742. Our Book No: 29956. $10 AUD.
55. Halevy, Elie; Watkin, E. I. (translator) (1939). History of the English People: Epilogue 1895 - 1905 (3 books). Harmondsworth: Pelican Books / Penguin Books. 215 + 248 + 216 pp. Each book: Paperback dustjacket, good plus condition (in good dustjacket), traditional blue cover, jacket edge tears (light toning, flaps clipped & little creased), page edges toned. Book 2 lacks jacket. The three books are: Imperialism (Book 1) - The Internal Policy of the Unionist Cabinet (Book 2) - The Decline of the Unionist Party. Translated from French. Our Book No: 10643. $15 AUD.
56. Handley Knibbs, George (1913). Voices of the North (Book I) and Echoes of Hellas (Book II) (1st ed). London: Alston Rivers. 291 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, good condition, brown cloth cover (gilt title cover & spine), endpapers lightly toned & little foxed, pages faintly toned, top edge toned, light foxing flyleaf & title page, minor foxing some pages, inner hinge little split (pages firm), spine ends & edges little rubbed, cover corner tips little rubbed, autograph (author's written dedication). This book is epic poetry based on ancient Scandinavian and Greek myths. The foreword states that the book consists of two books, each of three parts. Part 3 of Book I and parts 2 and 3 of Book II are original poems. Parts 1 and 2 of Book 1 are paraphrases, rather than strict translations, of poems by Finnish authors. Part 1 of Book II is a translation of a rendering into German by Linke of the story we owe to Apuleius. Each Book has its own dedication, preface, and list of contents. (Extensive written dedication to his friend Rev. N. Cocks, in Greek and English, on front free flyleaf.). Our Book No: 28884. $30 AUD.
57. Harari, Robert; Filc, Judith (translator) (2004). Lacan's Four Fundamental Concepts of Psychoanalysis: An Introduction (1st ed). New York: Other Press. 296 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white text-figures, minor edgewear, front cover corner tip little scuffed, light crease in spine, top corner front cover creased, base of spine slightly rubbed. An introduction to the work of the French structuralist Jacques Lacan. The ten lectures in this book were held as classes in the Center for Psychoanalytic Education (CPE) of the General San Martin Cultural Center, San Martin, Buenos Aires. The author gives an introductory display of essential themes developed, and offers his own insightful reading of the text's central ideas. The ten classes reframe a wide range of questions in psychoanalysis for the professional in the field, students, and interested lay readers. ISBN: 1590510828. Our Book No: 29806. $35 AUD.
58. Harrer, Heinrich; Graves, Richard (translator); Fleming, Peter (introduction) (1957). Seven Years in Tibet [Adventure Library]. London: Rupert Hart-Davis. 320 pp. Hardback small thick, dustjacket, very good condition (in good plus dustjacket), black & white photos including frontispiece, minor soiling jacket (minor edgewear & few holes flap joins), protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. Heinrich Harrer escaped from an internment camp in India during World War 2 and made his way to Lhasa in Tibet, where he courted high circles, becoming tutor and friend to the young Dalai Lama. (Translated from the German.). Our Book No: 14660. $14 AUD.
59. Hegel, G. W. F.; Sibree, J. (translator); Friedrich, C. J. (introduction) (2004). The Philosophy of History (Reissue ed) [Dover Philosophical Classics]. Mineola, NY: Dover Publications. 457 pp. Paperback, very good condition, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. The German philosopher wrote this classic as an introduction to a series of lectures on the "philosophy of history"- a novel concept in the early 19th century. He created the history of philosophy as a scientific study. This book is a Dover unabridged republication of the 1956 Dover reprint of the last revised edition of J. Sibree's translation of the work, originally published by The Colonial Press, New York, 1899. ISBN: 9780486437552. Our Book No: 30092. $16 AUD.
60. Herman, Patrick; Kuper, Richard (2003). Food for Thought: Towards a Future for Farming (1st English ed). London: Pluto Press. 156 pp. Paperback small, very good condition, boxes, minimal edgewear. The French radical farmers union Confederation Paysanne, with its leader Jose Bove, has led the world in demonstrating a socially progressive future for farming. Originally published in French, this book has been expanded and adapted for an English-speaking audience. Rejects the increasing intensification and industrialisation of agriculture. Argues for local food production by small, independent farmers - both for the sake of food quality, and to support the kind of societies we deserve. ISBN: 0745320775. Our Book No: 23572. $10 AUD.
61. Hermelo, Ricardo S.; Sobral, Jose M.; Fliess, Felipe; Rosove, Michael H. (editor) (2004). When the Corvette Uruguay Was Dismasted: The Return of the Uruguay From the Antarctic in 1903. Santa Monica, CA: Adelie Books. 24 pp. Hardback quarto, no jacket as issued, very good plus condition, colour frontispiece painting, quarter-bound (cloth binding along spine, spine label, marbled boards, handmade acid-free paper), small mark spine. (Limited edition, 250 copies.) Translated from the Spanish by Gricelda and Lawrence Perales. Frontispiece painting of the corvette Uruguay in the Antarctic. An English-language translation of a rare pamphlet published in Buenos Aires, 1946. Plus preface, appendices (original text) and bibliography. Synopsis: Most Antarctic buffs are familiar with the Swedish Antarctic Expedition of 1901-4 which was lead by Otto Nordenskjold. However, because all of the primary sources are in Spanish and Swedish few are familiar with the interesting homeward bound journey aboard the Argentinean relief vessel Uruguay. The ship was severely damaged in a storm north of the South Shetland Islands. What transpired between the Argentinean and Swedish staff was controversial - and pride for Argentineans. Our Book No: 15976. $75 AUD.
62. Heroesoekarto; Carter, Ketha (translator) (1991). The Mahabharata from Indonesia. Melbourne, Brighton: Ketha Carter. 64 pp. Paperback, card cover, stapled, very good plus condition. ISBN: 0646028979. Our Book No: 14214. $10 AUD.
63. Heroesoekarto; Carter, Ketha (translator) (1993). The Mahabharata from Indonesia: Book Three: The Magic Talisman. Melbourne, Brighton: Ketha Carter. 34 pp. Paperback, card cover, stapled, very good condition, cover lightly foxed. ISBN: 0646149776. Our Book No: 14217. $10 AUD.
64. Higashida, Naoki; Mitchell, David (translator); Yoshida, K. A. (translator); Kai & Sunny, illustrators (2013). The Reason I Jump: One Boy's Voice from the Silence of Autism (Reprint ed). London: Sceptre. 180 pp. Hardback small, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), full-page black & white drawings (including frontispiece), minor edgewear jacket. This book, written by a Japanese boy Naoki Higashida at age 13, gives an insight into what it is like to have autism. Naoki is severely autistic, and has learnt to communicate using a 'cardboard keyboard'. He explains the puzzling behaviour of people with autism, invites us to share his perception of time, life, beauty and nature, and offers an unforgettable short story. Naoki shares a rare opportunity to look at the world from a fresh and fascinating perspective. ISBN: 9781444776751. Our Book No: 29485. $20 AUD.
65. Hoyningen-Huene, Paul; Levine, Alexander T. (translator) (1993). Reconstructing Scientific Revolutions: Thomas S. Kuhn's Philosophy of Science. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 310 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, corner front cover creased, cover little marked & rubbed, minor edgewear. The first comprehensive study of the influential theories of the philosopher Thomas S. Kuhn, particularly his book "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions", in which he proposed his paradigm theory. The discussion is anchored by the historiographic foundations of Kuhn's philosophy. (Translated from the German.). ISBN: 0226355519. Our Book No: 12336. $15 AUD.
66. Hunt, Tony (1999). The Medieval Surgery. Woodbridge, Suffolk: Boydell Press. 104 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, front cover little scratched. The complete set of illustrations which accompany a 13th-century Anglo-Norman translation of Roger of Parma's "Surgery" (about the year 1180). The first surgical treatise to be written in the medieval West, along with an informative commentary that identifies the medieval medical treatments depicted. ISBN: 0851157548. Our Book No: 2789. $15 AUD.
67. Ibrahim, Raymon; Davis Hanson, Victor (introduction) (2007). The Al Qaeda Reader (1st stated ed). New York: Doubleday. 318 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket). This book gathers together the essential al-Qaeda texts and documents that trace the origin, history, and evolution of the ideas of the founders of this terrorist group: Ayman al-Zawahiri and Osama bin Laden (including threats to Western civilisation, particularly the United States). Edited and translated by Raymon Ibrahim. ISBN: 9780385516556. Our Book No: 26351. $18 AUD.
68. Inaba, Kazuya; Nakayama, Shigenobu (2000). Japanese Homes and Lifestyles: An Illustrated Journey Through History (1st English ed). Tokyo: Kodansha International. 124 pp. Hardback small quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), map, black & white drawings, minor edgewear jacket. Presents the story of the Japanese people - from prehistoric times to the modern day. There are caves, pit dwellings, thatched and tiled houses, capital cities, aristocratic mansions, town houses, rural villages, castles, samurai residences, and the modernization of Japan, ''new towns'' and high-rise apartment complexes. The lively illustrations and concise text will interest students of domestic architecture, history buffs, and readers who want to learn about faraway places and times past. ISBN: 477002391X. Our Book No: 27970. $40 AUD.
69. Indridason, Arnaldur; Cribb, Victoria (translation) (2014). Black Skies: An Inspector Erlendur Novel [Inspector Erlendur]. New York: Picador. 330 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, top corners few pages folded, covers little creased, pages minimally toned, minor edgewear. Crime fiction, set in Reykjavik (Iceland). This is a story of greed, pride, and murder which goes from the villas of Reykjavik's banking elite to a sordid basement flat. ISBN: 9781250055880. Our Book No: 28681. $12 AUD.
70. Ishigami, Dr Tohiu; Kitasato, Prof. Shibasaburo; MacDonald, Donald (1905). A Text-book on Plague: Translated, Enlarged, and Illustrated with Pathogenic Horticulture [Japanese Text-Book on Plague]. Adelaide: D. MacDonald / Vardon & Pritchard (Printers). 180 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, good condition, original dark green cloth cover (gilt lettering, front cover little stained), figures (including black & white text-photos), colour plates, frontispiece, minor foxing, pages lightly toned, edgewear (notably spine ends, corners bumped), owner's sticker, rubber stamp, annotation front free flyleaf. This textbook was originally written in Japanese by Ishigami, and later revised by Kitasato. The current edition was translated, enlarged, illustrated and self-published by Donald MacDonald, late Consulting Bacteriologist to the South Australian Government. With 152 illustrations and three chromolithographic plates. Part I is a translation of the Japanese text in 21 chapters. Part II is an extra six chapters by MacDonald, being pathogenic horticulture. Library sticker of Prof. Bryan Gandevia. Rubber stamp of Prof. Edward Ford. Our Book No: 16457. $80 AUD.
71. Jacobs, Una; Marsh, Gwen (translator) (1979). The Story of Fieldmice (1st translated ed). London: J. M. Dent & Sons. Unnum 28 pp. Hardback small quarto, no jacket, pictorial boards, very good condition, colour drawings, illustrated endpapers, base spine slightly worn, spine little loose (pages firm). A children's picture book about fieldmice, including a description of the life-cycle, how they stake out their territories, build burrows, store food, make nests and bring up their young. A remarkable story of survival and adaptation, illustrated with large, colourful pictures. ISBN: 0460069675. Our Book No: 25882. $15 AUD.
72. Jakucs, Laszlo (1977). Morphogenetics of Karst Regions: Variants of Karst Evolution (1st ed). Bristol / Budapest: Adam Hilger / Akademiai Kiado. 284 pp. Hardback octavo, cancelled EX-LIBRARY (spine label, barcode, pocket, etc.), good plus condition, black & white text-photos, figures, tables. Heavy. Updated and translated from Hungarian, this book describes in detail the geomorphology of karst terrains (barren and cavernous limestone or dolomite regions, named after the Karst region in and near Croatia). ISBN: 0852743092. Our Book No: 12824. $30 AUD.
73. Joyce, James; Berrone, Louis (editor) (1977). James Joyce in Padua. New York: Random House. 146 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, good condition (in good dustjacket), black & white photos & reproductions, frontispiece, edges & pages lightly toned, light foxing & texta mark top edge, minor edgewear jacket (light toning reverse side), light stain spine ends & bottom edge, minor insect damage. In April 1912 in Padua, James Joyce wrote two essays as part of an examination to qualify for a teaching position in the Italian public school system. These essays were only recently recovered from the archives of the University of Padua by Louis Perrone of Fairfield University. Prof. Berrone translated and edited the essays, and provides a detailed introduction showing the particular circumstances of Joyce's life during the time he wrote these essays, and reveals how many of the ideas in these two Paduan essays were an essential part of Joyce's critical apparatus, influencing his work in both fiction and nonfiction. ISBN: 0394409906. Our Book No: 28462. $18 AUD.
74. Jung, C. G.; Hull, R. F. C. (translator) (1991). The Development of Personality. London: Routledge. 255 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, spine lightly creased, minor edgewear. Selected essays from Jung's work that outline his theory of child development, including the important role of the psychology of parents and teachers. Contains a fascinating snapshot from the life of a little girl called Anna, and a stimulating discussion of marriage as a psychological relationship. ISBN: 0415071747. Our Book No: 12989. $20 AUD.
75. Jung, C. G. [Carl G.]; Hull, R. F. C. (translator) (1982). On the Nature of the Psyche. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul (RKP). 166 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, rear cover little scratched, top edge lightly foxed, minor edgewear, old price marks. This book is a summary of Jung's basic theoretical position regarding the psyche, including definitions of libido, energy force - and discusses the possibility to measure energy objectively and subjectively. Consists of two of the 18 essays in Volume 8 of the Collected Works. ISBN: 0710092512. Our Book No: 14635. $10 AUD.
76. Jung, C. G. (Carl G.); Hull, R. F. C. (translator) (1989). Dreams (Reprint ed). London: Ark Paperbacks / Routledge Kegan Paul (RKP). 337 pp. Paperback, very good condition, many drawings (including text-photos & frontispiece), minor foxing edges, pages lightly toned as common, minor edgewear. Dreams are the very fabric of the analytical process. This book is a significant statement of Jung's dream psychology. Jung brings to the subject a wealth of allusions to mysticism, religion, culture and symbolism that is without equal. ISBN: 0744800323. Our Book No: 14058. $14 AUD.
77. Kadare, Ismail (1996). The Pyramid (1st English ed). London: Harvill. 119 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minor edgewear, corner tips covers & pages creased. (Translated from Albanian into French, then into English.) A transparent parable of life under a Communist dictatorship in Albania, told with the same quiet, sardonic humour and keen eye for the pertinent detail that characterised his previous novels: The Palace of Dreams, and The Concert. ISBN: 1860461247. Our Book No: 22907. $10 AUD.
78. Kadare, Ismail (1997). The File on H. (1st English ed). London: Harvill. 169 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, small mark fore-edge, minor edgewear. (Translated from Albanian into French, then into English.) This simple tale by Albania's most eminent and gifted novelist serves to lift the veil on one of the most secret and mysterious countries of modern Europe. ISBN: 186046257X. Our Book No: 22906. $10 AUD.
79. Kaplan, Aryeh (1988). Meditation and the Bible (1st p/b ed). New York: Samuel Weiser. 179 pp. Paperback octavo, good condition, stain inside front cover (covered by sticker), edges lightly foxed, pages lightly toned, edgewear corner tips. A highly radical interpretation of the Bible demonstrating the methods of meditation used by the prophets to attain their unique states of consciousness, based on ancient Kabbalistic teachings. First English translation of ancient unpublished manuscripts, with commentary. ISBN: 0877286175. Our Book No: 17745. $10 AUD.
80. Kapuscinski, Ryszard (2012). Se Tutta l'Africa. Milano: Narratori Feltrinelli. 287 pp. Paperback small octavo (with flaps), very good plus condition. Title "If All Africa". Translated from Polish into Italian. "I did not go to Africa in search of adventure, hunting of elephants or to find diamonds." Ten unpublished reports about Africa by the Polish writer, dated 1962 to 1966, and printed in the weekly magazine "Polityka". Describes a period of transition in many African countries. ISBN: 9788807019173. Our Book No: 16281. $20 AUD.
81. Keilson, Hans; Searls, Damion (translation) (2011). Comedy in a Minor Key (1st English ed). Melbourne: Scribe Publications. 104 pp. Paperback small thin trade, very good condition, edges & pages little toned, minor creases covers. This book is the story of Wim and Marie, a Dutch couple who first hide a Jew they know as Nico, and must then dispose of his body when he dies of pneumonia. This novella, first published in 1947 and now translated into English for the first time, shows the author at his best. Published to celebrate Keilson's 102nd birthday, and introduces Australian readers to a forgotten author who was a witness to World War 2. Published 1947 as "Komodie in Moll". ISBN: 9781921844072. Our Book No: 27726. $15 AUD.
82. Kerr, Anne (1988). Lanterns over Pinchgut: A Book of Memoirs (1st ed). Melbourne: Macmillan. 344 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white photos, minor edgewear jacket (lightly rubbed), light toning edges, light rubbing bottom edges. Anne Kerr writes of her life as an international interpreter which took her all over the world, and also of her second marriage to John Kerr, the ex-Governor General of Australia. She reports her experiences in Cambodia, as an au pair in the Jura Mountains, in Samoa where she meets the ghost of Robert Louis Stevenson, and comes under the spell of the Katsura Villa in Kyoto. She uses the keen eye of the artist, and the engaging skills of the true lover of language. ISBN: 0333477081. Our Book No: 25721. $15 AUD.
83. Kettrup, A. (editor); Ohrbach, Dr. K. H. (translator) (1991). Analyses of Hazardous Substances in Air: Volume 1 (1st ed). Weinheim, Germany: VCH Verlagsgesellschaft. 223 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, very good condition, pictorial cover, figures, tables, few tiny dents & marks edges, publisher's label front pastedown, owner's rubber stamps including edges. This book contains 16 specific methods and three general chapters, constituting part of a recent initiative of the Commission for the Investigation of Health Hazards of Chemical Compounds in the Work Area. The aim of this first volume is to improve the availability at the national and international level of all scientific documents as a basis for discussions and decisions in the work place. ISBN: 3527270159. Our Book No: 25552. $20 AUD.
84. Kirmmse, Bruce H. (editor); Kirmmse, Bruce H. (translator); Laursen, Virginia R. (translator) (1998). Encounters with Kierkegaard: A Life as Seen by His Contemporaries (1st p/b, corrected ed). Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. 358 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, few black & white text-photos, small mark inside front cover & free flyleaf, small section top edge front cover little scuffed, minor edgewear corners, sticker mark flyleaf. A collection of every known eyewitness account of the great Danish existentialist philosopher and Christian theologian. The observations of his contemporaries, maintains the editor, are an indispensable path to understanding what he was like as a person. ISBN: 0691058946. Our Book No: 27385. $18 AUD.
85. Koci, Marta; Herring, Ann (translator) (1973). P. Tinybit (1st translated ed). Tokyo: Universe Picture Books / Gakken. 27 pp. Hardback small quarto, no jacket, pictorial cover, very good plus condition, small crease flyleaf. A beautifully illustrated Japanese story about a berry-beetle, translated from the Japanese language. P. Tinybit is unhappy because he thinks he is too small. Our Book No: 25380. $20 AUD.
86. Kondo, Marie; Hirano, Cathy (translator) (2014). The Life-changing Magic of Tidying (1st translated ed). London: Vermilion. 248 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, small mark fore-edge front cover, spine little creased, pages faintly toned, minimal foxing rear cover, minor edgewear. This book shows a simple, and effective way to remove clutter forever. Written by Japan’s expert declutterer and professional cleaner. Translated from Japanese language. ISBN: 9780091955106. Our Book No: 30556. $18 AUD.
87. Kung, Hans; Jens, Walter; Niethammer, Dietrich (contributor); Eser, Albin (contributor); Bowden, John (translator) (1995). Dying with Dignity: A Plea for Personal Responsibility (1st English ed). New York: Continuum Publishing. 132 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), top edge lightly foxed, minor edgewear jacket. The Christian theologian examines the case for voluntary euthanasia in certain well-defined circumstances. Translation from German. ISBN: 0826408850. Our Book No: 27748. $18 AUD.
88. Lanternari, Vittorio (1963). The Religions of the Oppressed: A Study of Modern Messianic Cults (1st U.K. ed) [Studies in Society]. London: MacGibbon & Kee. 359 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), owner's written name, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. By Italian professor of ethnology and the history of religions, who has been influenced by the philosopher Benedetto Croce. Originally published in Italian in 1960, this book surveys messianic movements that emerge in response to Western colonial expansion during the 20th century. Included are native American quietist peyote culture, West Indian Ras Tafari, Brazilian Zions and Melanesian cargo cults. Our Book No: 1447. $18 AUD.
89. Lauder, Robert E.; Ullmann, Liv (prologue) (1989). God, Death, Art and Love: The Philosophical Vision of Ingmar Bergman. New York: Paulist Press. 198 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, black & white text-photos, light toning pages, light foxing edges, minor edgewear. This is one of the few books devoted entirely to a critical discussion of the philosophical vision of the famous Swedish film-maker and director, written by a professional philosopher from a philosophic viewpoint. Written for anyone interested in Western culture, and for lovers of film. (Translated.). ISBN: 0809131080. Our Book No: 40372. $18 AUD.
90. Le Maire, Jacob; Duyker, Edward (introduction); Dalrymple, Alexander (translator) (1999). Mirror of Australian Navigation: A Facsimile of the 'Spieghel der Australische Navigatie', Being an Account of the Voyage of Jacob Le Maire and Willem Schouten 1615 - 1616, Published in Amsterdam in 1622 [Australian Maritime Series, no 5]. Sydney: Australian National Maritime Museum / Hordern House. Unnum pp. Hardback small folio, no jacket as issued, very good plus condition, quarter-bound (tan leather spine with black & gilt title label, marbled boards), full-page colour drawings & maps, copy 2. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. (Limited edition, 900 copies.) Facsimile of the journal of Jacob Le Maire, published posthumously in 1622. The original Dutch edition is accompanied by a facsimile of the English text prepared by the great Pacific historian of the 18th century, Alexander Dalrymple. Nutmeg and pepper drove this wealthy Dutch merchant to try to break the monopoly on trade routes to the East Indies, and inspired him to forge a new route to the lucrative spice sources via the southern tip of South America. He was influenced by the famous voyage of de Quiros, the Portuguese navigator who believed he had reached Terra Australis, the great southland. The expedition had dual goals: to chart a new course to the Pacific, and to find the great southern continent. ISBN: 1875567259. Our Book No: 16702A. $80 AUD.
91. Lichtenstadter, IIse (1976). Introduction to Classical Arabic Literature with Selections from Representative Works in English Translation. New York: Schocken Books. 392 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, top corner tips few pages little worn, edges lightly marked, tiny scuff mark spine, minor edgewear. The first part of the work consists of a long introductory essay that surveys the history of Arabic literature from pre-Islamic times through its high period in the Middle Ages. The second part of the volume, comprising somewhat more than half the work, is a representative selection of the literature itself, beginning with some pre-Islamic poetry and including, among many other things, a portion of Muhammad ibn Ishaq's Life of Muhammad, selections of traditions, philosophical writings of Al-Ghazali, some poetry of Al-Maari, and travel writing by Ibn Battutah. ISBN: 0805205500. Our Book No: 24842. $12 AUD.
92. Linde, Gunnel; Kennedy, Richard (illustrator); Parker, Anne (translation) (1969). A Pony in the Luggage (Special Australian ed). London / Melbourne: J. M. Dent & Sons / Georgian House. 139 pp. Paperback, very good condition, illustrated flexible covers, cloth spine, black & white drawings, pages faintly toned, white rear cover little marked, minor edgewear, rubber stamp. This charming story for young adults (used as a school reader) is about a girl named Anneli and her brother Nicklas who win a horse at the zoo. Their adventures with Danny the small horse make this a great book for older children. The illustrations help to tell the story. (First published in Sweden by Albert Bonniers, Stockholm, under the title "Med Lill-Klas i Kappsacken".). Our Book No: 29103. $20 AUD.
93. Lindqvist, Sven (2012). Terra Nullius: A Journey Through No One's Land. London: Granta. 248 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition. A meditative journey through the bleak deserts of Australia, to finf similar effects of colonialism as he has previously found in Africa. Explores how racism against Aboriginal people led to policies of cultural genocide, many acts of individual cruelty, and some of kindness. Translated from the Swedish language. ISBN: 9781847085214. Our Book No: 16082. $12 AUD.
94. Luria, A. R.; Solotaroff, Lynn (translator) (1975). The Man with a Shattered World: A History of a Brain Wound. Harmondsworth: Penguin Education. 140 pp. Paperback small, very good condition, minimal edgewear, rubber stamps. A claasic account of the cognitive effects of brain damage. A soldier reported loss of vision, memory, and the ability to speak, read and write. The noted Soviet neuropsychologist describes how the patient’s mental life was rebuilt, interleaved wirh lucid extracts from the soldier’s diary. (Rubber stamps of Australian parapsychologist, Harvey J. Irwin.). ISBN: 0140805796. Our Book No: 4462. $15 AUD.
95. Magnusson, David (1967). Test Theory. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley Publishing. 270 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket as issued, very good condition, figures, appendices, minor edgewear, rubber stamp, old price marks. This textbook, translated from the second Swedish edition, provides a theoretically and statistically coherent presentation of test theory to permit the interpretation and use of data regarding individual differences in diagnosis, counselling, selection, classification and psychometric test construction. (ISBN not printed in book, but assigned later.). ISBN: 0201043955. Our Book No: 2564. $15 AUD.
96. Mai, Mukhtar; Cuny, Marie-Therese (with); Coverdale, Linda (translation); Kristof, Nicholas D. (foreword) (2006). In the Name of Honour: A Memoir. London: Virago. 172 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, pages faintly toned, spine lightly creased, minor edgewear corners. The Pakistani author writes her story about her gang rape, punishment for an honour crime allegedly committed by her brother, an offence for which there was never any proof. A very moving and thought provoking story. An inspirational true story of a woman who still continues to fight against exceptional odds. Mai now runs the first ever school for girls, started with the money awarded to her by the Pakistani government in her historic settlement, and she is an eager pupil at the school herself. ISBN: 9781844084098. Our Book No: 29250. $15 AUD.
97. Maisch, Ingrid; Maloney, Linda M. (translator) (1998). Between Contempt and Veneration: Mary Magdalene: The Image of a Woman through the Centuries (Reprint ed). Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press. 185 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, top spine little bumped, bottom corners pages lightly creased, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. Interest in Mary Magdalene, the most elusive character in the life of Jesus, has never been so great. Her role in Christianity and history is investigated in this book, to find answers to the questions which have come to fascinate so many people. The author develops the images of Mary Magdalene current in each era, and shows that she is always a bellwether for the image of women at a particular time. ISBN: 0814624715. Our Book No: 29968. $20 AUD.
98. Malless, Stanley; McQuain, Jeffrey (2003). Coined by God: Words and Phrases that First Appear in the English Translations of the Bible (1st stated ed). New York: W. W. Norton. 221 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket (little rubbed). This book has 130 entries, with meanings and sources, of words and phrases first published in English translations of the Bible. The authors cite chapter and verse and trace these biblical words right up to today's headlines. Arranged from A to Z, and reader-friendly regardless of faith, the book offers entries about Biblical words and phrases that have moved into the culture at large. ISBN: 0393020452. Our Book No: 30197. $20 AUD.
99. Masunaga, Reiho (1975). A Primer of Soto Zen: A Translation of Dogen's Shobogenzo Zuimonki (Reprint ed). Honolulu: University Press of Hawaii. 119 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, top corners creased two pages, minor foxing edges, minor edgewear. Provides a good introductory text to main Zen themes and ideas for those who desire to practice Zen. Translated by Masunaga. ISBN: 0824803574. Our Book No: 25420. $13 AUD.
100. Meray, Tibor (2008). On Burchett [Wilfred Burchett]. Kallista, VIC: Callistemon Publications. 273 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, black & white text-photos, spine ends bumped. The author personally observed controversial war correspondent Wilfred Burchett during the Korean War, and thus is in a unique position to report on his credibility. Contains appendix: The truth about germ warfare. (Scarce. Translated from Hungarian.) ISBN: 9780646477886. Our Book No: 13336. $15 AUD.
101. Messner, Reinhold; Constantine, Peter (translation) (2000). My Quest for the Yeti: Confronting the Himalaya's Deepest Mystery (1st U.K. ed). London: Macmillan. 169 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, black & white photos centre spread, black & white vignettes. An investigation of the yeti, a mythical animal from the Himalayas, by climber who was first to reach the peak of Mt Everest without oxygen support. ISBN: 0333905288. Our Book No: 9673. $10 AUD.
102. Meyer, Michel; Barsky, Robert F. (translator) (2000). Philosophy and the Passions: Toward a History of Human Nature (1st p/b ed) [Literature & Philosophy Series]. University Park, PA: Pennsylvania State University Press. 295 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition. The subject of the passions (emotions) has haunted Western philosophy - thus arousing harsh judgments. For the passions represent a force of excess and lawlessness in humanity that produces troubling, confusing paradoxes. The Belgian philosopher provides new insight into an age-old dilemma. Does passion torture people because it blinds them, or, does it permit people to understand who they really are. Translated from the French, with preface, introduction and bibliography by Robert F. Barsky. ISBN: 0271020326. Our Book No: 15775. $25 AUD.
103. Mikhail, Dunya; Weiss, Max (translator) (2018). The Beekeeper of Sinjar: Rescuing the Stolen Women of Iraq (1st ed). London: Serpent's Tail / Profile Books. 209 pp. Hardback small, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket (front fore-edge slightly rubbed). The remarkable story of the Yazidi women whose lives have been turned upside down by ISIS, and the man who risks everything to save them. Until 2014, Abdullah Shrem made his living as a beekeeper, selling wild honey across the mountainous Iraqi region of Sinjar. Abdullah turned his knowledge of the local terrain to a more dangerous use. Cooperating with a secret network of helpers, he smuggled women through the war-torn landscapes of Iraq, Syria and Eastern Turkey and back to safety, one by one. In this powerful testament of courage in the face of terror, the author tells the harrowing stories of these brave women and the man who refused to accept their fate. ISBN: 9781788161268. Our Book No: 30539. $18 AUD.
104. More, St Thomas; Wegemer, Gerard (editor); Miller, Clarence (translator) (2007). The Sadness of Christ and Final Prayers and Benedictions (Reprint ed). New York: Scepter Publishers. 162 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, top corner front cover creased, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear corners. This is the author’s last work, written in the Tower of London while he waited to be executed. He turns to Christ as a model of virtue in the face of suffering and persecution. In summary: the story of that time when the Apostles were sleeping as the Son of Man was being betrayed (from the introduction by Thomas More scholar Gerard Wegemer). ISBN: 9780933932661. Our Book No: 40081. $20 AUD.
105. Muller, Theodor; Garland, Maurie (editor); Ramsland, John (editor); Pammer, Frank (translator) (2007). The Swiss Swagman: Theodor Muller's Nineteen Years In Australia. Melbourne: Brolga Publishing. 330 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white photos & drawings, minor edgewear. This book is about Theodor Muller who came from Switzerland in 1857, and roamed Australia. He spent time in the sparsely settled regions of Australia, travelling as far north as Brisbane, west to Mudgee, south to Gundagai. He returned home eventually to write his memoirs - Neunzehn Jahre in Australien. This current edition has been translated into English and expanded with maps, illustrations and historical insights. A great read for anyone who loves Australia or anyone wanting to learn about backpacking in the 1850s. ISBN: 9781921221026. Our Book No: 40083. $30 AUD.
106. Mytting, Lars; Jacobsen, Roy (foreword); Ferguson, Robert (translator) (2015). Norwegian Wood: Chopping, Stacking, and Drying Wood the Scandinavian Way (1st translated ed). London: Maclehose Press. 191 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, very good condition, colour photos (mostly full-page), frontispiece, single black & white illustration, base spine & corner tips lightly rubbed. This book is part guide to the best practice in every aspect of working with this renewable energy source, part meditation on the human instinct for survival. This definitive handbook on the art of chopping, stacking and drying wood in the Scandinavian way has resonated across the world. The author has spoken to enthusiasts, from experienced lifelong growers, stackers and burners to researchers and professionals of combustion and tree culture. (Translated into English.). ISBN: 9780857052551. Our Book No: 30233. $30 AUD.
107. Nell, Renee (2005). The Use of Dreams in Couple Counseling: A Jungian Perspective (1st English ed) [Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts]. Toronto: Inner City Books. 157 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear, minimal edgewear & bumping. With the help of numerous examples, Dr Nell explains the efficacy of dream interpretation when working with couples, both individually and in groups, in the diagnosis and treatment of emotional disturbances. Translated from German. ISBN: 1894574141. Our Book No: 24555. $20 AUD.
108. Nietzsche, Friedric; Geuss, Raymond (editor); Speirs, Ronald (editor, translator) (2008). The Birth of Tragedy and Other Writings (Reprint ed) [Cambridge Texts in the History of Philosophy]. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (CUP). 165 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minor edgewear. This edition presents a new translation and an introduction by Raymond Geuss that puts the book in its historical and philosophical context. Also includes two essays on related topics that Nietzsche wrote during the same period. The essays throw further light on the themes treated in the main text. ISBN: 9780521639873. Our Book No: 27974. $20 AUD.
109. Nishi, Kazuo; Hozumi, Kazuo; Horton, Mack H. (translator & introduction) (1996). What is Japanese Architecture? A Survey of Traditional Japanese Architecture (Reprint ed). Tokyo: Kodansha International. 144 pp. Paperback small quarto, dustjacket (with flaps), very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), black & white drawings, novelty foldout, map front endpapers, minimal edgewear jacket. This book describes construction, design, carpentry, and the history of Japanese Architecture from pre-history to mid-19th century. There are over 300 drawings, and a text that is straight to the point. The book is divided into four parts - religious structures, residences, castles, and places of entertainment. Contains fold-out three-dimensional model of the tearoom of Taian Teahouse. Architectural chronology list rear of book. ISBN: 4770019920. Our Book No: 27982. $30 AUD.
110. O'Crohan, Tomas; Flower, Robin (translator) (2000). The Islandman (Reissue ed). Oxford: Oxford University Press (OUP). 245 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, black & white text-photos, rear cover little creased, tiny spot front cover, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. Tomas O'Crohan (1856 - 1937) narrates his dangerous life in a primitive Irish community (Great Blasket Island) - often stormbound, going hungry when the fish or crops failed, living well when the storm drove a wrecked cargo onshore. He was much respected, and possessed a shrewd and humorous detachment from the whirlwind of everyday crises. (Originally published in Gaelic in 1929. Translated into English.). ISBN: 9780192812339. Our Book No: 30208. $18 AUD.
111. Ojvind Swahn, Jan; Puryear, Rachelle (translation); Nolgren, Anna (editor) (2014). Swedish Traditions (Reprint ed). Bromma: Ordalaget Bokforlag. 159 pp. Hardback wide octavo, very good condition, pictorial cover, colour photos (mostly full-page), colour & black & white illustrations, top & bottom corners front cover lightly bumped. The author has written a personal, informative and entertaining presentation of typical Swedish customs - some of which are ancient - and the traditions which Swedes share with others. This beautiful book is richly illustrated with pictures and photos of Sweden's beautiful scenes. Recipes are included for some of Sweden's most classic traditional dishes. The author is one of Sweden's most renowned scholars in cultural history studies, and he is Professor Emeritus in Folkloristics. Translated from Swedish. ISBN: 9789174690408. Our Book No: 27780. $20 AUD.
112. Olson, Stuart Alve (1993). The Jade Emperor's Mind Seal Classic (Reprint ed). St. Paul, MN: Dragon Door Publications. 124 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, few drawings, printed on recycled paper, minor edgewear. This book, presented here in the first English translation, is a primer on how to achieve the benefits of Taoist thought. The text works as the catalyst for a deep transformation of being. Stuart Olson, Taoist practitioner and long-time protege of Taoist and T'ai Chi Ch'uan master, T. T. Liang, provides a lucid translation of, and an insightful commentary on this key text. ISBN: 0938045105. Our Book No: 24855. $10 AUD.
113. Onfray, Michel (2007). The Atheist Manifesto: The Case Against Christianity, Judaism and Islam (1st Australian ed). Melbourne: Melbourne University Press. 219 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, cover little creased near spine, owner's written name. French philosopher (University of Caen) documents the ravages of religious intolerance over the centuries and makes a devastating cases against Christianity, Judaism and Islam. He argues that these three monotheistic religions display contempt for reason, intelligence, individual freedom, sexuality and pleasure, and indeed for science generally. (Translated from the French.). ISBN: 052285396X. Our Book No: 14373. $12 AUD.
114. Pavlov, I. P.; Koshtoyants, Kh. S. (editor) (1955). Selected Works. Moscow: Foreign Languages Publishing House. 654 pp. Hardback octavo, very good condition, frontispiece portrait, two page corners folded, edges lightly foxed. Selected writings of the pioneer Russian physiologist, arranged in 12 sections, including public speeches, digestion, theory of types, sleep and hypnosis, physiology and psychology, and fragments at the Wednesday gatherings. Includes an introductory essay by the editor, and an autobiographical statement. He is best known for discovering the conditioning reflex. Our Book No: 2343. $20 AUD.
115. Perez-Reverte, Arturo; Soto, Sonia (translator) (1996). The Club Dumas: A Novel (1st translated ed). New York: Harcourt Brace & Company. 362 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), cloth spine, top corners covers bumped, edges lightly foxed, minor edgewear jacket (spine ends little rubbed). First translated edition (from Spanish). This an inventive and stylish historical novel of intrigue about a secret society of antiquarians and the hunt for a rare book of satanic lore. The search takes Lucas Corso from Madrid to Paris and he enters a world of a secret society of antiquarians, the occult, 19th-century popular literature, fictional and historical characters. ISBN: 0151001820. Our Book No: 30354. $30 AUD.
116. Plato; O'Connor, Eugene (introduction); Jowett, Benjamin (translation) (1991). Lysis, Phaedrus and Symposium: Plato on Homosexuality [Great Books in Philosophy]. Amherst Buffalo, NY: Prometheus Books. 157 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good plus condition. Three classic dialogues on the nature of love and friendship, including the Ancient Greek view of homosexuality. ISBN: 0879756322. Our Book No: 12068. $10 AUD.
117. Poduschka, Walter; Christl, Poduschka; Sworder, Mary (translator) (1972). Dearest Prickles: The Story of a Hedgehog Family (1st ed). New York: Taplinger. 128 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), black & white text-photos, minor foxing endpapers & few pages, faint toning reverse side jacket (minor edgewear & edge tears, few small scuffs & dents), bottom edge little rubbed. This wonderful unsentimental story is about their rescue and experiences with three baby hedgehogs. Illustrated with over fifty photos, this charming book will appeal to animal lovers of all ages. ISBN: 0800821246. Our Book No: 28165. $15 AUD.
118. Postgate, Raymond (1969). The Agamemnon of Aeschylus. Cambridge: Rampant Lions Press. 141 pp. Hardback large octavo, very good condition, brown cloth cover (gilt spine lettering on black label), glassine acetate no jacket (missing), bookplate, autograph (author's written name). (Limited edition of 500 autographed copies.) A private press book. Text edited by Raymond Postgate, with an introduction, a commentary and a translation into modern English prose. Bookplate of Geoffrey Farmer. Our Book No: 15658. $30 AUD.
119. Rebo; Pie, American (translation & adaption) (2003). Greek: The Best Recipes from Sunny Greece to Your Kitchen for Creative Cooking. Enkhuizen, Netherlands: Rebo Publishers. 96 pp. Paperback quarto, very good plus condition, colour illustrations, minimal edgewear. This book shows you the traditional Greek ways of cooking meats, vegetables, and herbs. The desserts add the final touch to a Greek meal. Translated from the Greek language. ISBN: 9036614694. Our Book No: 27316. $10 AUD.
120. Richardson, Matthew (editor) (2001). The Halstead Treasury of Ancient Science Fiction. Sydney: Halstead Press. 191 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, cover corners lightly creased, rear cover scratched, covers lightly creased, minor edgewear. Consists of historical science fiction stories written in Japan, in Rome, and other places worldwide, edited with commentary by Richardson. Authors such as Cicero and Plato join forces with unknown writers of the ancient world. The translations from five different languages are vivid. Each story is followed by a brief commentary relating it to the science and writing of the times, with notes to explain the less obvious meanings. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 1875684646. Our Book No: 23373. $10 AUD.
121. Rinbochay, Lati; Rinbochay, Denma Locho; Zahler, Leah (editor); Hopkins, Jeffrey (translator) (1983). Meditative States in Tibetan Buddhism: The Concentrations and Formless Absorptions [Wisdom Advanced Book: Blue Series]. London: Wisdom Publications. 277 pp. Paperback small octavo (with flaps), good plus condition, edges foxed, bottom edge rubbed, minor edgewear. A vivid and detailed account of the meditative practices necessary to develop a calm, alert mind that is capable of penetrating the depths of reality. Two prominent modern Tibetan lamas present comprehensive explanations of the mental states attained through meditation. Includes captivating descriptions of the sometimes fantastic, sometimes astonishing cosmology that provides the background and context for Buddhist practice. Drawing on classic texts by Asanga, Maitreya, and Dzong-kha-ba on the topics of meditative states known as the concentrations and the formless absorptions, the two lamas bring alive the learning experience of the Buddhist culture of Tibet. ISBN: 0861710118. Our Book No: 17040. $15 AUD.
122. Rivolier, Jean; Wiles, Peter (translator) (1956). Emperor Penguins (1st ed). London: Elek Books. 131 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), black & white photos, light foxing edges, endpapers toned strips, minor wear fore-edge jacket (minor edgewear, small edge tears, top corner worn). The story of a wintering party who left France late in 1951 to relieve the French Antarctic base at Port-Martin. On board was a special detachment which had been selected to spend a year at Geology Point, a remote coastal area of Adelie Land which housed a colony of Emperor penguins. The men observed and annotated the lives of the Emperors at close quarters from the moment the first penguin emerged from the unfrozen sea at the end of March until late December when they swam away to spend the brief summer in a resort that man had never discovered. Our Book No: 25287. $10 AUD.
123. Rolfo, Father Luigi; Milella, Aloysius (translator) (1982). James Alberione: A Brief History of His Life, His Times, and His Work (1st English ed). Sydney, Homebush: St. Paul Publications. 113 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, few black & white photos at rear, faint foxing top edge, minor edgewear corners. Biography of the Italian founder of the Pauline Family, Father James Alberione. This biography reviews the highlights of Father Alberione's life - the man, the priest, the founder, the apostle, and as prophet. Our Book No: 28615. $15 AUD.
124. Rudolph, Kurt; McLachlan Wilson, Robert (translator) (1987). Gnosis: The Nature and History of Gnosticism (Reprint ed). New York: HarperOne / HarperCollins. 411 pp. Paperback thick octavo, very good condition, black & white text-illustrations, map, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. Gnosticism arose out of early Judaism and Christianity, with an emphasis on trapping the divine spark within the human body, and liberating it via spiritual knowledge (gnosis), acquired by direct experience. This iconic history of gnosticism, by a German professor of religion, is solidly based reliable sources. The author hopes this translation will reach a wider range of readers. The translator has drawn upon similar principles to the English edition of Werner Foerster's two-volume anthology "Gnosis". ISBN: 0060670185. Our Book No: 30140. $30 AUD.
125. Sanmiguel, David; Frankbonner, Edgar Loy (translator) (2006). Art of Still Life Drawing (New, translated ed) [Art of Drawing]. New York: Sterling Publishing. 160 pp. Paperback wide quarto (with flaps), very good condition, black & white drawings, tiny scuff spine ends, minor edgewear. This book shows you how to draw still life with ease and confidence, one step at a time. This new edition to the "Art of Drawing" series covers all the still life fundamentals, from basic line drawing to chiaroscuro effects. Many illustrated examples and concise explanations are included for each technique. (Translated from the Spanish language.). ISBN: 9781402732843. Our Book No: 28551. $30 AUD.
126. Scheunemann, Frauke; Frisch, Shelley (translator) (2012). Puppy Love: A Story of Love, Life, and the Best Friend a Girl Could Ever Have (1st English ed). London: Corvus / Atlantic Books. 297 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, pages faintly toned, small biro mark fore-edge. Bestselling novel, set in Germany, about a beautiful little dachshund mix named Hercules, who wants to find the perfect man for his much loved mistress, Caroline who has terrible taste in men. Hercules tells the story from his point of view, which makes this a delightful and funny book for anyone who likes dogs. ISBN: 9780857893147. Our Book No: 29351. $10 AUD.
127. Schimmelpfennig, Roland; Bulloch, Jamie (translator) (2018). One Clear, Ice-cold January Morning at the Beginning of the Twenty-first Century (1st translated ed). London: Maclehose Press. 233 pp. Paperback trade (with flaps), very good condition, spine little creased, minor edgewear. A novel set in Germany. A wolf crosses the border between Poland and Germany. His trail leads all the way to Berlin, connecting the lives of disparate individuals whose paths intersect and diverge. Those who sight the wolf see their own lives reflected, and find themselves searching for a different path. This first novel of Germany's most celebrated contemporary playwright is written in prose of great power and precision. (Translated from German.). ISBN: 9780857057013. Our Book No: 30319. $20 AUD.
128. Schleiner, Louise; McQuillen, Connie (translator); Roller, Lynn E. (translator) (1994). Tudor and Stuart Women Writers [Women of Letters]. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press. 293 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear top edge. Examines British women writers of the Tudor and Stuart periods, and their culture from the perspectives of feminism, Marxism, sociology, and cultural semiotics. This book is a comprehensive study of those women who were more than translators or diarists and who found individual voices in texts for public or semi-public circulation. Contains verse translations from Greek and Latin. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 0253208866. Our Book No: 27171. $10 AUD.
129. Schotz, Susanne; Kuras, Peter (translator) (2019). The Secret Language of Cats: How to Understand Your Cat for a Better, Happier Relationship (2nd Australian p/b ed). Sydney: HQ Non Fiction / HarperCollins. 265 + 8 pp. Paperback small trade, very good plus condition, tables, minor edgewear. In this fascinating book the author introduces cat lovers to the full range of feline vocalisations. She explains what tcats mean in different situations, and gives practical tips to help us understand our cats better. Written by a professor at Lund University in Sweden, where a long standing research program is proving that cats can actually use vocal communication - with each other and with their human caretakers. ISBN: 9781489277770. Our Book No: 40440. $18 AUD.
130. Schubert, Kurt (1959). The Dead Sea Community: Its Origin and Teachings (1st English ed). London: Adam & Charles Black. 178 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, spine & covers lightly creased, minor edgewear, owner's written name & date. Written by Professor of Jewish Religion and Culture in the University of Vienna. Translated from the German. The author has developed into this book the lectures on the texts of Khirbet Qumran which he delivered in the summer of 1957 at the University of Vienna. Our Book No: 22375. $12 AUD.
131. Sinclair, Anne; Whiteside, Shaun (translator) (2014). My Grandfather's Gallery: A Family Memoir of Art and War (1st translated ed). Melbourne: Text Publishing. 224 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white & sepia (brown-tinted) & few colour photos, corners front cover creased, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear corners. This is the story of her grandfather. In September 1940, a famous European art dealer disembarked in New York, one of many Jewish refugees fleeing Vichy France. He left behind his beloved Paris gallery: he saved his family, but his paintings - masterpieces by Cezanne, Monet, Sisley and others - were seized by the Nazis and the art dealer's own legacy was obliterated. More than 50 years later, the author found a box of letters and she discovered who her mother's father really was. Drawing on his intimate correspondence with Picasso, Matisse, Braque and others, she traces the life of a legendary member of the Parisian art scene. The author both reframes 20th century art history and reclaims family history. (Translated into English.). ISBN: 9781922147288. Our Book No: 30500. $18 AUD.
132. Solzhenitsyn, Alexander (1991). Rebuilding Russia: Reflections and Tentative Proposals (Manifesto For a Rebirth of Russia). London: Harvill / HarperCollins. 103 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition. Russia's most influential living writer sets out an agenda for the post-Communist future ithat involves democracy and free enterprise. Translated from Russian. ISBN: 000272149X. Our Book No: 13750. $10 AUD.
133. Sonn, Tamara (1996). Interpreting Islam: Bandali Jawzi's Islamic Intellectual History. New York: Oxford University Press. 206 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket). The first English translation of "The History of Intellectual Movements in Islam" (1928), a seminal text of Arab modernism, written by Paestinian intellectual Bandali alJawzi (1871 - 1942). The first Marxist interpretation of the history and development of Islamic thought. Valued for its critical method of reevaluating both European "orientalism" and classical Muslim heresiography. The source of weakness in both is a concern for vested imperial interest. ISBN: 0195100514. Our Book No: 15720. $50 AUD.
134. Sperber, Dan (1977). Rethinking Symbolism (Reprint ed) [Cambridge Studies in Social Anthropology]. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 153 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, figures, faint foxing top edge, small mark bottom edge, minor edgewear. This brilliant, original and witty book outlines a general theory of symbolism. He argues against a semiological conception of symbols (symbols have meaning as words do), and for a cognitive model in which symbols represent knowledge of the memory of things and words. Draws upon various anthropological and philosophical traditions, and his field work among the Dorze of Ethiopia. Translated from French. ISBN: 0521099676. Our Book No: 23205. $10 AUD.
135. Stevens, Henry N.; Barwick, George F. (translator) (1930). New Light on the Discovery of Australia: As Revealed by the Journal of Captain Don Diego de Prado Y Torvar (1st ed). London: Henry Stevens, Son and Stiles. 261+3 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, very good condition, maroon cloth cover (gilt decoration & lettering, minimal flecking), maps (including foldouts), two maps in rear pocket, page edges untrimmed, endpapers & edges little foxed, spine ends chipped, minor edgewear, minor pencil annotation, owner's written name & date & address. First edition. This book is based on the discovery of a long lost manuscript 'Relacion' by Captain Prado y Torvar, who accompanied Pedro de Quiros on his famous voyage of exploration to the South Seas in 1605 - 1606. One of the most important historical finds of modern times, as it provides previously unknown details about how Luis de Torres took command and sailed his boats around southern New Guinea (through the strait now named after him) and up to Manila. Annotated translations from the Spanish by Barwick. (Also simultaneously published by the Hakluyt Society.). Our Book No: 16662. $80 AUD.
136. Stoler Miller, Barbara (1984). The Gitagovinda of Jayadeva: Love Song of the Dark Lord (Reprint ed) [Indian Series of the Translations Collection of the United Nations (UNESCO)]. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass. 225 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, tiny scuff top spine, small closed tear spine, minor edgewear. This dramatic lyrical poem, translated & edited here by Stoler Miller, is a unique work in Indian literature and a source of inspiration in both medieval and contemporary Vaisnavism. It describes the loves of Krsna and Radha in 12 cantos containing 24 songs. The poem is really a kind of drama, of the ragakavya type, since it is usually acted. ISBN: 8120803671. Our Book No: 28374. $15 AUD.
137. Street, Eloise (1963). Sepass Tales: The Songs of Y-Ail-Mihth. Chilliwack, BC: Sepass Trust. 110 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in good plus dustjacket), few black & white text-photos (including frontispiece), jacket little creased, top edge little foxed, minor edgewear, rubber stamp, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. Transcriptions of the Songs of Y-Ail-Mihth (The Ancient Singer), a creation myth of the American Indians, as recorded by Eloise Street. Chief Sepass of Chilliwack directed their translation and rhythmic cadence. The introduction on Chief Sepass and his people is by Oliver N. Wells, an authority on the Chilliwack tradition. SALE PRICE. Our Book No: 14568. $10 AUD.
138. Svendsen, Lars; Irons, John (translation) (2006). Fashion: A Philosophy (1st English ed). London: Reaktion Books. 188 pp. Paperback tall trade, very good condition, minor edgewear. Drawing on a range of commentators, from Adam Smith in the 18th century to Roland Barthes in more recent times, the author analyses fashion as a historical phenomenon and as a philosophy of aesthetics, and considers fashion's relationships to art, politics and philosophy. ISBN: 1861892918. Our Book No: 24999. $13 AUD.
139. Szlezak, Thomas A.; Zanker, Graham (translator) (1999). Reading Plato (1st English ed). London: Routledge. 137 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, faint foxing edges, top corner clipped front flyleaf, minor edgewear. This book offers a concise and illuminating insight into the complexities and difficulties of the Platonic dialogues which will be invaluable to any student of Plato's philosophy. ISBN: 0415189845. Our Book No: 27309. $20 AUD.
140. Takei, Naoki; Takano, Makoto (translation); Kondo, Miwako (illustrator); Shibata, Yu (illustrator) (2001). Japanese Culture (1st stated ed) [Getting Closer to Japan]. Tokyo, Japan: ASK Co., Ltd. 95 pp. Paperback octavo, dustjacket, card covers, very good plus condition, black & white drawings, minimal edgewear. This book is for business people new to Japan who may be having trouble in living, working, and understanding Japanese culture and the Japanese people. It will also interest anyone who would like to learn more about Japanese culture. ISBN: 4872170695. Our Book No: 25410. $10 AUD.
141. Teffi; Chandler, Robert (translator) (2016). Memories from Moscow to the Black Sea (1st ed). London: Puskin Press. 349 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white photos, minor edgewear jacket, minimal split front hinge (pages firm), sticker mark. The fascinating story of the Russian writer and satirist Teffi. This book is her blackly funny and heart breaking account of her final journey into exile across Russia. Published in English for the first time, it confirms the rediscovery of Teffi as one of the most humane, perceptive observers of her time. ISBN: 9781782271697. Our Book No: 40345. $25 AUD.
142. Tersac, Helene; Clement, Frederic (illustrator) (1983). The Animal's Ball (English, reprint ed). London: Green Tiger Press (A Star & Elephant Book). 33 pp. Hardback quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), tipped-in colour illustrations, faint foxing boards, edgewear corners & spine ends jacket (little rubbed & scuffed, small closed tear). Children's picture adventure story told by a little girl. She is in bed and cannot sleep. She leaves her bed and from the top of her stairs sees an amazing sight - wild animals walking on their hind legs, dressed in beautiful clothes, and having a party. The French painter Frederic Clement has illustrated this unusual story. Each painting brings the story to life, and each has a distinctive perfection. Winner of a Parent's Choice Remarkable Book award for art. Translated from French. ISBN: 0914676954. Our Book No: 27959. $25 AUD.
143. Theissen, Gerd; Schutz, John H. (translator) (1982). The Social Setting of Pauline Christianity: Essays on Corinth (1st U.K. ed) [Studies of the New Testament and its World]. Edinburgh: T. & T. Clark. 210 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), edges lightly foxed, minor edgewear jacket (flap clipped), top corner cover bumped. A major collection of essays about the sociology of the New Testament, in which the author presents part of a general thesis about the development of Early Pauline Christianity. Translated from German. ISBN: 0567093115. Our Book No: 24356. $15 AUD.
144. Thien Tam, Thich (1994). Buddhism of Wisdom & Faith: Pure Land Principles and Practice (5th ed) [Pure Land series]. Bronx, NY: Sutra Translation Committee of the United States and Canada. 363 pp. Paperback trade, card covers (with flaps), very good condition. (Estimated date, 1994, Trove catalogue.) The late Dharma Master Thich Thien Tam specialized in both the Pure Land and Esoteric traditions. This treatise, his best known work, is the outgrowth of a multi-year retreat devoted to the study of the Tripitaka, with emphasis on Pure Land related texts. Our Book No: 22522. $10 AUD.
145. Timmers, Leo (2010). Crow (1st Australian ed). Sydney, Mascot: Koala Books. Unnum 28 pp. Paperback small square quarto, very good condition, colour drawings, top corner rear cover creased, light creases internal pages, minor edgewear. A children's picture story about a crow who wanted to make friends with the small birds. Everyone is afraid of him, so he tries to change his colour. The easy-to-read text and bright illustrations suits all ages. (Translated from the Dutch.). ISBN: 9780864618177. Our Book No: 28684. $15 AUD.
146. Todorov, Tzvetan; Denner, Arthur (translator) (2001). The Fragility of Goodness: Why Bulgaria's Jews Survived the Holocaust (1st translated ed). Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. 197 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minor edgewear. About an important part of Bulgarian history. With the exception of Denmark, Bulgaria was the only country allied with Nazi Germany that did not annihilate or hand over its Jewish population. The author has put together and explains for the first time key evidence, including letters, diaries, government reports, and memoirs. Most have never been translated into any language. ISBN: 0691115648. Our Book No: 28967. $18 AUD.
147. Tournier, Michel; Bray, Barbara (translator) (1997). The Ogre (Reprint ed). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. 373 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, minimal edgewear. Winner of the Prix Goncourt, France's most prestigious literary award. This is a story of innocence, perversion, and obsession. It follows the passage of strange, gentle Abel Tiffauges from submissive schoolboy to "ogre" of the Nazi school at the castle Kaltenborn, taking us deep into the dark heart of fascism. A remarkable blend of myth and realism. ISBN: 080185590X. Our Book No: 27704. $18 AUD.
148. Tzu, Sun; Clavell, James (editor, foreword) (1990). The Art of War (Recent reprint ed). London: Hodder & Stoughton. 95 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear. Sun Tzu's 2,000-year old classic Chinese military masterpiece is here translated by Lionel Giles, and edited for clarity by Clavell. It consists of 13 chapters that reflect the mind of a born military strategist and practical soldier whose maxims, full of acuteness and commonsense, relate as much to the present day as they do to the military conditions of the time in which they were written. ISBN: 0340276045. Our Book No: 3891. $12 AUD.
149. Vacchetta, Massimo; Tomaselli, Antonella (with) (2018). A Handful of Happiness: Ninna, the Tiny Hedgehog with a Big Heart (1st English ed). London: Quercus Editions. 199 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), colour photos, spine ends little rubbed. This is the heart-warming story of how a tiny hedgehog helped one man find hope. About a baby hedgehog named Ninna and a vet who found her and cared for her, and went on to establish a hedgehog sanctuary for the injured, orphaned, and starving hedgehogs he found. (Translated from Italian language). ISBN: 9781786489104. Our Book No: 40245. $20 AUD.
150. van Meekeren, Erwin; Gunderson, Prof. Dr. John G. (foreword); Hurkmans, Willem (translator); Kelly, Jackie (translator) (2003). Starry Starry Night: Life and Psychiatric History of Vincent van Gogh (1st ed). Amsterdam: Benecke N.I. 164 pp. Paperback wide trade, very good condition, black & white photos & drawings, colour replicas of paintings, minor edgewear. This book describes Vincent's life, his personality, the times in which he lived, and his psychiatric history. The book has been written by a psychiatrist, and it is intended for anyone with an interest in Van Gogh and his era. There is a small section with a limited number of colour replicas of his paintings. ISBN: 9073637570. Our Book No: 29031. $40 AUD.
151. Vazhakala, Fr Sebastian (2004). Life with Mother Teresa: My Thirty-year Friendship With the Mother of the Poor. Cincinnati, OH: St. Anthony Messenger Press / Servent Books. 242 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white photos, corner tips few pages little creased, barcode sticker inside rear cover. He has worked closely with Mother Teresa for 30 years and was involved with her work in India. He tells stories of the founding of the Contemplative and the Lay Missionaries, and provides fresh insight into Mother Teresa: "timid and very sensitive by nature", but who surrendered everything to God in order to serve the poor. Through unedited letters (reproduced here), photos and anecdotes ranging from Mother Teresa's childhood in Albania, to her memory loss of later years, this special story gives a new portrait of both Mother Teresa and the inner spirit of the Missionaries of Charity. ISBN: 0867166223. Our Book No: 22649. $10 AUD.
152. Veith, Ilza (1970). Hysteria: The History of a Disease. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 301 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, figures, plates, spine lightly rubbed, minor edgewear, old price marks, owner's written name, minor biro annotation few pages. (Translated.) The author traces the varied manifestations of the term "hysteria" through history. Takes note of the medical, social, and even religious forces that combined to create the emotional climate of each epoch. ISBN: 0226852539. Our Book No: 23049. $10 AUD.
153. Verite, Marcelle; Ivanovsky, Elisabeth (illustrator) (1968). Tip Tip in the Sun (1st English ed). London: Geoffrey Chapman. Unnum 24 pp. Hardback small quarto, no jacket, good condition, pictorial boards, colour drawings, boards lightly scratched, spine ends lightly worn, two small sections rear fore-edge worn, few tiny dents top edge, hinges little loose (pages firm), staples rusted, owner's written name & address front pastedown. Charming collectible children's story about a little sparrow who has many adventures and meets lots of new friends. The easy to read text and charming drawings will delight adults and children alike. A lovely old book to have, or add to any others about Tip Tip. Our Book No: 23206. $12 AUD.
154. Villa-Real, Ricardo; Bayes de Luna, Pilarin (illustrator); Taylor, Rene (translator) (1997). The Alhambra Told to Children (1st ed). Granada, Spain: Ediciones Miguel Sanchez. Unnum 38 pp. Paperback wide quarto, very good condition, colour drawings, minor edgewear & creasing. A story of Spanish history and legend (the Islamic palace in Granada), told by the grandfather to his three grandchildren and a small friend of theirs. One of the grandchildren wanted him to relate the story to other children, and this brief account was written. The many drawings will keep young minds busy for awhile. Translated from Spanish. ISBN: 8471690535. Our Book No: 28089. $10 AUD.
155. Waldenfels, Bernard (editor); Broekman, Jan M (editor); Pazanin, Ante (editor) (1984). Phenomenology and Marxism (1st translated ed) [International Library of Phenomenology and Moral Sciences]. london: Routledge Kegan & Paul. 315 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, very good condition, small mark fore-edge, light foxing top edge, owner's embossed name title page. The essays collected in this book were originally presented at a workshop which took place annually between 1975 and 1978 at the Inter-University Centre in Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia. ISBN: 0710098545. Our Book No: 25733. $15 AUD.
156. Weenink, H.; Hume, George (editor); White, Alain C. (editor) (1926). The Chess Problem [A. C. White's Christmas Series]. Stroud: Office of the Chess Amateur. 318 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, very good condition, red cloth cover (gilt lettering, cover edges little faded), black & white photos (portraits, including frontispiece), drawings (chess boards), minor foxing edges, minor edgewear, shop sticker, minor annotation, non-author written dedication (prize). Classic textbook of chess problems, translated and revised from the original German edition. Part 1: the historical development of chess problems from the Middle Ages, with sections on the English, Bohemian, German and Dutch schools. Part 2: describes 22 main themes of chess problems (with sub-divisions). Includes about 370 individual chess problems, as well as portraits of 30 composers of chess problems, and an index of 1000 composers. (Written prize awarded in 1943 for a chess competition.). Our Book No: 17467. $225 AUD.
157. Wendt, Marlitt (2011). Trust Instead of Dominance: Working Towards a New Form of Ethical Horsemanship (1st English ed). Richmond Upon Thames: Cadmos Publishing. 126 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, colour text-photos, minor edgewear, covers little scratched. German behavioural scientist Marlitt Wendt explodes the widely held belief in the theory of dominance over the horse. Presents a new scientifically based concept which is founded instead on friendship as an ethical alternative. Marlitt covers a range of topics from herd behaviour, the concept of hierarchy through to an insight into current learning theory. ISBN: 9780857880017. Our Book No: 27144. $18 AUD.
158. Weninger, Brigitte; Tharlet, Eve (illustrator) (1996). Where Have You Gone, Davy? (1st ed). New York: North - South Books. Unnum 28 pp. Hardback quarto, no jacket, pictorial cover, very good plus condition, full-page colour illustrations. Children's picture story. A beautifully illustrated story about a rabbit named Davy, who gets the blame for breaking his Mother's china bowl. He runs away, and has many frightening adventures. His Mother finds him and tells him who really owned up to the broken bowl; he returns home and learns the true meaning of sharing. A charming book for any age. Translated from the German. ISBN: 1558586644. Our Book No: 22105. $12 AUD.
159. Wild, Margaret; King, Stephen Michael (illustrator); De Aquino, Gilda (translator) (2009). Porcolino e Vovo. Sao Paulo, Brazil: Brinque -Book. 36 pp. Paperback square quarto, as new condition, colour drawings. Brazilian translation of "Piglet and Granny", a children's picture story about life on a farm. ISBN: 9788574122878. Our Book No: 15191. $20 AUD.
160. Wong, Eva (1997). Harmonizing Yin and Yang: The Dragon-tiger Classic. Boston: Shambhala. 146 pp. Paperback large trade, very good condition, figures, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear, old price marks. A manual of Taoist yoga: internal, external, and sexual. A translation of a concise Taoist alchemical manual known as the Dragon-Tiger Classic, along with its two most important commentaries by traditional Chinese authors. Translated & introduced by Wong. This classic, written in ancient times by an unknown author and published during the 15th century BCE, is regarded by contemporary Taoist practitioners as the most complete guide to spiritual transformation ISBN: 1570623066. Our Book No: 21661. $10 AUD.
161. Yampolsky, Philip B. (1971). The Zen Master Hakuin: Selected Writings (1st ed). New York: Columbia University Press. 253 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear, faint foxing top edge. This book is a general introduction to the teachings of Hakuin. Professor Yampolsky, the translator, also gives a brief historical survey and appraisal of Zen in Japan. Included is an appendix that describes briefly the voluminous works of Hakuin. ISBN: 0231060416. Our Book No: 26409. $20 AUD.