INTERNET BOOKSHOP: SELLING BOOKS SINCE 1998
ORDER 2 OR MORE BOOKS: RECEIVE 20% DISCOUNT !!
PO Box 176, Annandale NSW 2038, Australia.
Phone: (02) 9550-1258 (late afternoon or message).
BOOKS FOR SALE:
FOREIGN (NON-ENGLISH) LANGUAGE BOOKS & SHEET MUSIC ** FRENCH LANGUAGE BOOKS ** GERMAN LANGUAGE BOOKS ** ABORIGINAL LANGUAGE BOOKS ** FOREIGN-ENGLISH DICTIONARIES.
Check this on our online database, updated weekly !!
All books are in stock (except for a few recent sales). Plus postage at cost.
We offer 20% discount for orders of 2 or more books.
1. About, Edmond (1862). Le Cas de M. Guerin (1st ed). Paris: Michel Levy Freres, Libraires Editeurs. 199 pp. Hardback small, no jacket, very good condition, quarter-bound, marbled board covers, leather spine (bands, faded gilt lettering & vignettes), marbled endpapers, minor edgewear. First edition. Includes 'Le 41e Fauteuil" (24p, at rear). An entertaining novel in which Mr. Guerin, without being a hermaphrodite, carries a pregnancy to term and gives birth to a son. French language. Our Book No: 16697. $80 AUD.
2. Adler, Victor (1922). Victor Adlers Aufsatze, Reden und Briefe Heft 1: Victor Adler und Friedrich Engels [Victor Adler's Essays, Speeches and Letters, Volume 1: Victor Adler and Friedrich Engels]. Wien (Vienna): Wiener Volksbuchhandlung (Vienna's Bookstore). 192 pp. Paperback trade, good plus condition, rubber stamp, top spine repaired, cover & pages toned, edges lightly foxed. German language book (volume 1 of 11 volumes), edited by the Party Leaders of the German Social Democratic Party of Austria. Our Book No: 13412. $15 AUD.
3. Ailion, Charlie; Sennin, Horuku (introduction) (1959). Bando Hooroku: A Master Potter. Kobe, Japan: Charlie Ailion. 104 pp. Hardback small octavo, no jacket, very good condition, black & white photos, inner hinge split (pages firm), cloth cover lightly toned (rear cover little marked), minor edgewear, autograph (author's written & dated dedication). Illustrated with a block of 27 plates, preceded by introduction & preface in English, and followed by Japanese-language text. Includes an introduction by Horoku Sennin (and his photo). Plus an appendix of artist signatures and imprints. Our Book No: 16442. $100 AUD.
4. Alejchem, Scholem (1914). Die Verlorene Schlacht Humoristische Erzahlungen [The Lost Battle: Humorous Narratives] [Vom Alten Stamm Bd. 4 [Old Stories Collection]]. Berlin: Judischer Verlag. 140 pp. Hardback small octavo, no jacket as issued, very good condition, olive cloth cover (black embossing, spine little faded), illustrated endpapers, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear, annotation front flyleaf. Humorous old narratives, translated from Yiddish into German. 1. Die verlorene schlacht. 2. Die wette. 3. Der gast. 4. Das grobe los. 5. Der topf. 6. Es ist nicht wahr. 7. Auf der wanderung. 8. Besuch in Berditschew. Auf der trambahn. Hotel Turkalia. Translation: 1 The lost battle. 2 The bet. 3 The host. 4 The rough going. 5 The pot. 6 It is not true. 7 On the hike. 8 Visit in Berdichev. On the tram track. Turkalia Hotel. Our Book No: 15460. $20 AUD.
5. Allevi, Giovanni (2008). In Viaggio con la Strega. Milano: Rizzoli. 196 pp. Paperback small octavo (with flaps), very good plus condition, many colour photos (some full-page). An illustrated book about by the popular modern Italian composer and pianist about his tours and way of life. Title in English: "Travelling with the Witch". Blurb translation rear cover: "If this is a collective madness destined to run out, I'm glad to have been there in just enough to say 'I was there' ". ISBN: 9788817027342. Our Book No: 16255. $20 AUD.
6. Arresto, C. G. H.; van Goor, S. & Jacobus, J. W. (translator) (1805). De Oost-Indien-Vaarer: Tooneelspel in Vier Bedrijven naar Het Hoogduitsch van C. G. H. Arresto (2nd ed). Amsterdam: H. Moolenijzer. 168 pp. Hardback small, good condition, no jacket, very good condition, marbled board covers (dark brown leatherette spine), vignette title page, pages little wavy (poor quality paper, minor creasing), untrimmed (edges roughly cut & toned), edgewear, minor annotation. Second edition. A play translated from German into Dutch. Title (in English): "The East-Indiaman: A stage play in three acts". Our Book No: 16590. $80 AUD.
7. Bachmann, G. (Georges) (1905). Les Sylphes: Impromptu-valse pour Piano [Plate: 3279]. London: Schott & Co. 8 pp. Paperback folio, very good condition, pamphlet (stitched spine, small archival tape repairs), covers lightly foxed, pages lightly toned, corner tips few pages creased. (Estimated date, 1900s, WorldCat. No copyright date.) Sheet music, piano seul (underlined), cost 2 shillings. Edition Facilitee. "A Mon Eleve Louis Hielard." Our Book No: 13837. $12 AUD.
8. Balazs, Arpad (1973). Tizennegy Konnyu Zongoradarab / Fourteen Easy Pieces for Piano. Budapest: Editio Musica. 24 pp. Paperback oblong quarto, stapled card cover, very good condition, minimal edgewear. Sheet music for piano by Hungarian composer. Our Book No: 13840. $25 AUD.
9. Barnichon, Gilles; Roullet, Pierrick (1998). De Grasse: Empress of Australia / Venezuela. Le Touvet, France: Editions Marcel-Didier. 144 pp. Paperback small oblong quarto, very good condition, black & white text-photos (mostly full-page), glossy paper, minor edgewear. The British-built but French ocean liner "De Grasse" has had an eventful career. For 40 years, she went through a world war, several conversions and sales, and two sinkings. It re-opened the French Line Transatlantic service in 1947, and later became "Empress of Australia" and "Empress of Venezuela" under different national flags. A superbly illustrated book based on archival material. Parallel text in French and English. ISBN: 2910821145. Our Book No: 16404. $45 AUD.
10. Biard D'Aunet, [Georges] (1907). L'Aurore Australe. Paris: Librairie Plon: Plon-Nourrit et Cie, Impimeurs-Editeurs. 403 pp. Hardback very small, goodcondition, marbled cloth cover, leather spine (gilt spine lettering, raised bands, sticker mark), marbled endpapers, pages toned as usual, minimal EX-LIBRARY (rubber stamps, label remnants front cover), edgewear, minor annotation first pages. Subtitle: "La societe australienne, le socialisme en Australie, la constitution australienne et son fonctionnement, la valeur et la situation materielles de l'Australie, l'Australie vue de dehors." An interesting French perspective on Australian society and politics contemporary with the birth of the Commonwealth of Australia. Based on personal observations from 1893 to 1905 plus two published articles. French language text. Our Book No: 17029. $30 AUD.
11. Bizet, Georges (1925). Flower Song (La Fleur Que tu M'Avais Jetee) from the Opera Carmen: No 2 in D Flat. London: J. B. Cramer & Co. 4 pp. Paperback quarto, looseleaf, very good condition, minor edgewear. (Estimated date, 1920s, Trove catalogue.) Sheet music for piano, with parallel text in English and French. Advert for J. B. Cramer on rear cover: Songs with a World-Wide Popularity. Our Book No: 14653. $10 AUD.
12. Bohm, Carl; Morgan, Mrs John P. (1915). Still as the Night (Still wie die Nacht): Song [Plate: B4331]. Melbourne: Allan & Co. 6 pp. Paperback quarto, looseleaf (toned tape remnants at joins), good condition, covers minimally foxed, little loose at fold repaired, pages little toned, minor edgewear. (Estimated copyright, 1910s - Trove catalogue.) Sheet music for this old German Love song, Opus 326, no 27. No 2 style underlined. Lyrics in German and English languages. English lyrics by Mrs Morgan, the only translation authorised by the publisher. By arrangement with Alfred Lengnick & Co., London. Our Book No: 14853. $10 AUD.
13. Bosse, Abraham; Blum, Andre (1924). L'Oeuvre Grave D'Abraham Bosse. Paris: Editions Albert Morance. 94 + 44 pp. Hardback wide (folder), thick papered board cover, red cloth spine (gilt lettering), very good condition, ribbon ties, booklet & sheets (engravings) loosely inserted, booklet top edges uncut, cover corner little bumped (top edge little worn). A collection of 44 looseleaf engravings by French artist Abraham Bosse, presented in a stiff card folder with ribbon ties, together with a 94-page booklet, being an introduction to the 44 looseleaf plates. Our Book No: 14380. $150 AUD.
14. Brahms, Johannes; Whistler, Robert (translator) (1931). Brahms: 15 Selected Songs - English and German Words: Book Two [Plate: 3083]. London: Alfred Lengnick & Co. 64 pp. Paperback large quarto, good plus condition, spine torn & repaired, corners little worn, pages lightly toned. (Copyright date: 1931.) Sheet music from the German composer. Low Voice underlined. Poems that inspired some of the best-loved songs of Brahms, in dual English and German text. The 15 are: Love and the Lilac Flower; Twilight; Nightingale; On the Lake; Swallow From Over the Sea; Constancy; No Longer to Entreat You; Ever Lighter; The Message; To a Violet; Haven (In How Kind a Fashion); Why Go Barefoot, Pretty One; Parting; Serenade; Roses Three. Our Book No: 13882. $18 AUD.
15. Briand, Pierre Cesar (1834). Aventures d'un Jeune Naufrage, ou Voyages d'un Petit Negre a Recherche de Son Maitre: Histoire Maritime Veritable Racontee aux Enfans par l'Auteur du Voyage d'un Chien. Paris: Librarie Enfantine et Juvenile de Pierre Maumus. 285 pp. Hardback small, good condition, original brown leather cover (spine decoration & label), marbled endpapers & edges, black & white engravings (frontispiece, title page & two internal pages), cover & gilt & title label rubbed (edgewear), string bookmark, dated prize bookplate, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve (acetate). Title translation: "Adventures of a Young Wreck, or Voyages of a Little Negro in Search of His Master: True Maritime History Taught to Children by the Author of a Dog's Journey". A children's adventure story with an abolitionist message regarding slavery. Monsieur de Ternan, the French heir to a tobacco plantation in Marinique, is a reluctant slave owner, an enlightened man who has received his education in Philadelphia [where abolition of slavery was especially promoted]. On a voyage back to France with his African servant, Congo, the two are separated after a shipwreck in the Atlantic, and Congo must survive first in Cork (Ireland), then in London, before returning to the Antilles and gaining his freedom. (Estimated date, 1834. No copy available in Australian libraries.). Our Book No: 16845. $140 AUD.
16. Buchbinder, Bernhard; Jarno, Georg (music) (1910). Das Musikantenmadel: Operette in 3 Akten. Stuttgart: Julius Feuchtinger. 85 pp. Paperback small folio, pictorial card cover (lightly soiled), cloth spine binding (frayed), good plus condition, front hinge little split (pages firm), corner tips front cover removed, inside covers lightly foxed, pages lightly toned, rubber shop stamp, edgewear. (Copyright date: 1931.) Piano sheet music and text for this German opera: The Musician's Girl. Signed cover painting of seated man and kneeling girl near piano. Our Book No: 13888. $30 AUD.
17. Carulli, Ferdinand; Domandl, Willy (1954). Ferdinand Carulli: 24 Praludien zur Bildung des Anschlags fur Gitarre [24 Preludes: Guitar Exercises for the Right Hand] (Revised ed) [Elite Edition, no. 3005: Plate 13910]. Hamburg: N. Simrock. 20 pp. Paperback folio, card cover, very good condition, staples rusted, minor edgewear, rubber stamp. Revised edition with fingerings and striking markings added by Domandl. Sheet music. Parallel text in German and English. A selection of preludes from Opus 114 of the Italian composer for classical guitar Ferdinando Carulli (1770 - 1841). (Preface is dated 1954.). Our Book No: 14238. $15 AUD.
18. Church, Catholic (1887). Acta et Decreta Concilii Plenarii Australasiae, Habiti Apud Sydney A.D. 1885, a Sancta Sede Recognita [Mostly written in Latin]. Sydney: Catholic Church / F. Cunninghame & Co. (Printers). 184 pp. Hardback octavo, red cloth cover (embossed gilt lettering front & spine, rear cover faded), black endpapers, deaccessioned EX-LIBRARY (pocket, stickers cover label marks front flyleaf, spine digits covered by tape), good plus condition, edges lightly foxed, edgewear. Cover title: Concilim Plenarium Sydneyense, A.D. 1885. Journal (mostly in Latin) of the plenary council of the Catholic Church Australasia, held in Sydney, 1885, as well as the decrees issued. As approved by the Holy See. Our Book No: 13891. $40 AUD.
19. Comenius, Johann A.; Hoole, Charles (translator) (1982). Orbis Sensualium Pictus: Visible World [Facsimile Editions, Osborne Collection of Early Children's Books, Toronto Public Library]. London / Tokyo: Bodley Head / Holp Shuppan. 204 pp. Hardback very small, very good plus condition, light brown board cover (gilt lettering), black & white drawings, text in two columns, in cardboard slipcase. Facsimile edition. Facsimile of the classic children's education book (12th English edition, 1777, with woodcuts replacing the previous engravings). His book pioneered the use of pictures to teach children about the world. Originally published in Germany in 1657. The first English edition (The Visible World) was in 1658. Parallel text in English and Latin. (One of a set of 35 handsome facsimiles in 28 slipcases.). Our Book No: 16958. $25 AUD.
20. Community School, Yiyili; Mudeling, Penny (Gooniyandi words) (1998). Yarrangi Gooni: Our Dreaming (1st ed). Halls Creek, WA: Yiyili Community School. 21 pp. Paperback oblong quarto, very good condition, stapled, black & white illustrations, covers little scratched, spine little creased, minor edgewear. The stories for children come from the East Kimberley region of northern Western Australia situated on what is now known as Louisa Downs Station near the Margaret River. This area is known to the local Gooniyandi people as Marrara. The stories have been handed down orally from one Aboriginal generation to the next. Includes text in the local Aboriginal language. ISBN: 1875617248. Our Book No: 28283. $25 AUD.
21. Coste, Napoleon; Ritter, Hans (editor) (1926). 25 Etuden fur Gitarre Opus 38: Herausgegeben von Hans Ritter [Gitarren-Archiv 34: Plate 31509]. Mainz: B. Schott's Sohne. 36 pp. Paperback small folio, card cover, very good condition, minor pencil annotation. Sheet music for 25 studies for classical guitar by the French composer (1805 - 1883). Text in German. Our Book No: 14239. $20 AUD.
22. De Ferdkin, S. W. (editor); Guiraldes, Alberto (illustrator) (1948). Argentine Anthology (1st ed). London: Geoffrey Cumberlege / Oxford University Press (OUP). 91 pp. Paperback small, dustjacket, card covers, very good condition (in good dustjacket), black & white drawings, minor edgewear jacket (closed edge tears, edges little chipped, lightly marked, reverse side lightly toned, slight loss top spine), top edge lightly foxed, tiny mark front flyleaf, edges & pages lightly toned, bookshop sticker. This little book is an anthology of writings in English about Argentina, including folklore, portraits, essays, fables and sketches. The introduction and the preface are written in Spanish by the editor. (bookshop sticker from Mitchell's English Book Store, Buenos Aires.). Our Book No: 16090. $15 AUD.
23. de Fontenelle, [M. Bernard le Bovier] (1839). Entretiens sur la Pluralite des Mondes (Nouvelle ed). Paris: Armand Pougin, Librarie. 173 pp. Hardback very small (13.6 x 9.0 cm), good plus condition, cross-hatched leather cover (gilt edges & elaborate spine decoration), spine name label, marbled endpapers, pages lightly toned, minor foxing, owner's written names. By the French man-of-letters (1657 - 1757), a member of the French Academy. A series on six essays on astronomy ("Conversations on the Plurality of Worlds"), ranging from First Night to Sixth Night. Our Book No: 15690. $40 AUD.
24. de Goy, Andre (1852). Aventures Sur Mer et Sur Terre [Adventures]. Paris: Alphonse Desesserts. 344 pp. Hardback large octavo, very good condition, original embossed black cloth cover (spine gilt), sepia (brown-coloured) plates (engravings), frontispiece sepia engraving (with tissue guard), new endpapers, all edges gilt, some foxing (mainly endpapers & adjacent to plates), some edgewear (mostly spine), string bookmark. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. (Estimated date, 1852, Trove catalogue.) Contains two stories: I. La Famille Laurencay. II. Histoire d'un Chercheur d'or en Australie. This scarce book has special significance as the second story is probably the first account of the Australian goldfields in fiction. The first story tells the adventures of the Laurencay family en route to Australia where they intend to settle on a property acquired by Monsieur Laurencay on a previous visit. Not in Ferguson. Muir 2912 (children's book). All 8 plates including frontispiece present. Our Book No: 16516. $200 AUD.
25. de Mornay, M. Mauny; Monneret, M. (1838). Livre du Jardinier Guide Complet de la Culture des Jardins Fruitiers, Potagers et d'Agrement: Suivi de l'Hygiene du Jardinier. Paris: Librarie Encyclopedique de Roret. 331 + 277 pp. Hardback very small, half-bound (board cover & leather spine), good plus condition, board cover has vertical split front cover (repaired), two foldout drawings at rear, raised bands spine (gilt lettering), paper label & annotation title page, edgewear, internally very good. (Estimated date, 1838, Worldcat.) Two French-language volumes bound as one volume: "Livre du Jardinier" by de Mornay; and "l'Hygiene du Jardinier", by Monneret. Paper label on title page covers original publisher details. Titles in English: "Complete Gardener's Guide to Growing Fruit Gardens, Backyards and Ornamentals" and "Monitoring Garden Hygiene". Our Book No: 15508. $100 AUD.
26. de Nerciat, Chevalier Andrea; Apollinaire, Guillaume (introductory essay) (1911). Felicia ou Mes Fredaines [Les Maîtres de l'Amour: L'Oeuvre du Chevalier Andrea de Nerciat: Deuxieme Partie]. Paris: Bibliotheque des Curieux. 321 pp. Hardback octavo, good plus condition, rebound quarter bound (black cloth spine, gilt lettering & raised bands), marbled board cover & endpapers, card cover retained, frontispiece plate, bottom edge pages untrimmed, pages lightly toned (notably endpapers), edges foxed, top spine frayed, edgewear. Subtitle (title page): Texte integral d'après l'exemplaire de l'edition de Londres (Liege), 1778, conserve a la Bibliotheque de Cassel." Deluxe rebound edition, retaining original card cover. Text in French language. French novel of sexuality, originally published anonymously in 1778. Our Book No: 16131. $40 AUD.
27. De Salinis, Le P. A. (1892). Marins et Missionnaires: Conquete de la Nouvelle-Caledonie 1843 - 1853 (1st ed). Paris: V. Retaux et Fils, Libraires-Editeurs. 340 pp. Hardback (24 x 16 cm), red cloth cover (gilt patterning & lettering, embossed edge bands, raised bands spine), patterned endpapers, very good condition, black & white drawings (engravings, in text & full-page), cover corners bumped, edgewear, pages toned (particularly edges), scattered light foxing. Heavy (1.1 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. French-language book entitled: "Sailors and Missionaries: Conquest of New Caledonia 1843 - 1853". A history of the French conquest of this Pacific island near New Guinea and Australia. Essentially the story of the Catholic missions there. Our Book No: 14010. $200 AUD.
28. de Tourris, Jose (1970). Guitar Music of the 16th, 17th and 18th Centuries: Transcription and Fingering. New York: Hargail Music Press. 24 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, card cover (stapled), minor foxing & edgewear, sticker mark, minimal annotation (tick marks). Sheet music for 12 pieces transcribed for the guitar. Subtitle: "da Parma, de Visee, Roncalli, Sanz, Rameau, Albinoni, Handel." Duel text in English and French. By professor of guitar at the Conservatoire d'Orsay. Our Book No: 17012. $15 AUD.
29. de Tourris, Jose (1973). Guitar Music of the 16th, 17th and 18th Centuries: Transcription and Fingering: Book 2. New York: Hargail Music Press. 32 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, card cover (stapled), minor edgewear. Sheet music for 10 solos and six duets. Subtitle: "Narvaez, Mudarra, Le Roy, Losy, Rasponi, de Visee, Roncalli, Vivaldi, Haydn." Duel text in English and French. By professor of guitar at the Conservatoire d'Orsay. Our Book No: 13906. $20 AUD.
30. Della Torre, Edizione (2005). Ricettario di Sardegna. Cagliari: Edizione Della Torre. 96 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good plus condition, colour drawings, full-page colour photos. A cooking book written in the Italian language. Title in English: "Recipes of Sardinia". ISBN: 9788873433996. Our Book No: 13672. $25 AUD.
31. Dorfell, Alfred (1940). Duett-Album Sammlung, Beruhmter Duette fur Zwei Singflimmen mit Pianofortebegleitung, Neue Ausgabe revidiert von Alfred Dorffel (Duett-Album III: Duette fur Sopran und Bariton (Bass).) [Edition Peters, no 7645]. Leipzig: C. F. Peters. 145 pp. Hardback quarto, red cloth cover (embossed green outline with gilt lettering), good plus condition, spine little faded, pages lightly toned, edgewear corners, rubber stamp, owner's written name. (Estimated date, early 1940s, IMSLP.) Sheet music. In German language. English translation of title: "Duet Album Collection, Famous Duets for Vocalists with Pianoforte Accompaniment, New Edition revised by Alfred Dorffel (Duet Album III: Duets for Soprano and Baritone [Bass].). Our Book No: 13428. $30 AUD.
32. Forster, Georg (2007). Cook, the Discoverer: A New Translation Accompanying a Facsimile of "Cook, der Entdecker: Versuch eines Denkmals" [Australian Maritime Series, no 6]. Sydney: Australian National Maritime Museum / Hordern House. 276 pp. Hardback quarto, no jacket as issued, as new condition, quarter-bound (tan leather spine with brown speckled boards). Heavy (1.0 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. Title continues: "Being a memoir of Captain Cook written by Georg Forster, first published in Berlin in 1787. With a foreword by Martin Lutz, Ambassador of the Federal Republic of Germany to Australia, and an introductory essay by Nigel Erskine, Curator of Exploration at the Australian National Maritime Museum". (Limited edition of 1000 copies bound in quarter tan kangaroo with speckled papered sides). In 1787, eight years after the death of Captain Cook, the German naturalist and philosopher, Georg Forster, completed this remarkable essay, written as the introduction to his German translation to the official account of Cook's third voyage. Forster had previously accompanied Cook on his second voyage, and Forster's scientific contributions have been forgotten. Contains both the original gothic German script and the English translation. ISBN: 9781875567492. Our Book No: 17278. $150 AUD.
33. Franck, Johann Wolfgang; Osterwald, Wilhelm; Engel, O. H.; Francks, Johann Wolfgang (1955). Zur Hauslichen Erbauung: Geistliche Melodien: Mit Neuen Texten Versehen von Wilhelm Osterwald und fur Eine Singstimme mit Begleitung des Pianoforte, neu Bearbeitet von O. H. Engel, Op. 24. [Plate: 1657]. Leipzig: Breitkopf & Hartel. 42 pp. Paperback oblong small quarto, stapled pamphlet (staples rusted), good condition, spine little torn repaired, cover little soiled, pages lightly toned, abrasion mark front cover (former written name), owner's written name & date. (Foreword dated 1857. Worldcat suggests 1955 reprint. Owner's written name dated 1962.) Sheet music, text in German language. English translation of title: "For home use: Spiritual melodies, with new text by Wilhelm Osterwald and for solo voice with piano accompaniment, revised by O. H. Engel, Op. 24." One of the most prolific composers of his time, Franck lived in Hamburg, and between 1679 to 1686, composed fourteen operas. Our Book No: 13939. $25 AUD.
34. Funck-Bretano, Frantz (1928). Retif de la Bretonne: Portraits et Documents Inedits. Paris: Albin Michel, Editeur. 425 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, very good condition, quarter-bound (paper-covered patterned boards), patterned leather spine (raised bands, gilt title), pages toned, black & white plates (including frontispiece portrait). Title translation: "Tricksters (fraudsters) of Breton: Portraits and original documents". Our Book No: 16592. $30 AUD.
35. Giorni, Bruno (1999). Monterchi (4th ed). Italy: Bibloteca Comunale / Comune di Monterchi. 256 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket as issued, illustrated black cloth cover, very good condition, black & white photos collected at rear, covers faintly scratched, non-author written dedication. Italian language book about the lengthy history, architecture, art, convents, etc., of the little village of Monterchi in the Tuscan Tiber Valley (No ISBN in book.). Our Book No: 15001. $20 AUD.
36. Gougaud, Henri (1997). Les Cathares et l'Eternite [The Cathars and Eternity]. France: Bartillat. 272 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good plus condition. French language textbook in which the scholar and storyteller Henri Gougaud surveys often-ignored sources to provide keys to the history and achievements of Catharism (12th to 14th century European Christian sect). Includes its remnants that survived until later, and its mythology. ISBN: 2841000834. Our Book No: 15912. $15 AUD.
37. Grad, M. A. Charles (1864). L'Australie Interieure: Explorations et Voyages a Travers le Continent Australien de 1860 a 1862. Paris: Arthus Bertrand. 188 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, very good condition, rebound half-bound (paper-covered boards, brown cloth spine & corner tips), card cover retained (small edge pieces missing, repaired, foxed), new marbled & white endpapers, edges untrimmed, folding colour map inside rear cover, overall minimal foxing. The author, a member of the Geographical Society of Paris, describes exploration in Australia in the years 1860 to 1862. Ferguson 10038: a scarce title in the French language. Includes the second expedition of Stuart (1861), Burke & Wills (1861), Frank Gregory in North West Australia, Stuart to Gulf of Carpentaria (1862), Dempster in Western Australia, Landsborough and MacKinlay in search of Burke (1862) - as well as general comment on Australian exploration and the conditions of the interior. The folding map plots the routes of the explorers. Our Book No: 16515. $150 AUD.
38. Grieg, Edvard (1918). Greig Album Lieder fur eine Singstimme und Klavier von Edvard Grieg mit Teilweise Neuen Ubersetzungen von Hans Schmidt: Original Ausgabe: Kriegsausgabe [Edition Peters, no 466a: Plate 9718]. Leipzig: C. F. Peters. 36 pp. Paperback small quarto, fair plus condition, card cover (foxed, edge tears, corners worn, spine repaired), pages little toned, edgewear. Translation: "Greig album Songs for voice and piano by Edvard Grieg with some new translations of Hans Schmidt. Original edition. War output." Sheet music, with German and English words. Songs: Margaret's Cradle Song; My Love She Was So Pure; The Princess; To Springtime My Song I Utter; Outward Bound; Sunset; Cradle Song; the Rosebud; The Poet's Last Lay; Good Morning!; The Odalisques; Thy Warning is Good. Our Book No: 13962. $15 AUD.
39. Gros, Jules (1892). L'Homme Fossile: Aventures d'une Expedition Scientifique dans les Mers Australes. Paris: Librairie Marpon et Flammarion. 256 pp. Hardback very small, very good condition, black cloth cover (gilt spine lettering), marbled endpapers, pages toned as usual, staple marks front free flyleaf, string bookmark, minimal EX-LIBRARY (hospice library, rubber stamps, small spine sticker remnants), protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve (acetate). A novel that is an obscure example of the "lost race" theme in adventure fiction. The story is set in the sealing grounds off southeastern Australia, with the imaginary expedition of geologists and paleontologists on board the ship "Le Glorieux" using Melbourne as its base. French language text. ISBN: 0521275938. Our Book No: 17027. $40 AUD.
40. Grovlez, Gabriel (1917). A Child's Garden (Au Jardin de L'Enfance). London: J. & W. Chester. 30 pp. Paperback small folio, stapled (rusted), good condition, decorative period cover, base spine damaged (no loss of text), minor edgewear & edge tears, price sticker. Sheet music. Subtitle: "Six pieces pour le piano (d'apres l'art d'etre grand-pere de Victor Hugo)". The piano pieces are: La Sieste; Choses du soir; Chanson de Grand-Pere; Chanson D'Ancetre; Chanson Pour Fire Danser En Rond Les Petits Enfants; Pepita. Text in French and English. Our Book No: 15233. $12 AUD.
41. Guerin, Leon (1841). Le Tour du Monde, ou Les Mille et Une Merveilles de Voyages (2 Volumes). Paris: Langlois et Leclercq. Unnum pp. Each volume: Hardback very small (duodecimo), good condition, dark brown cloth spine (marbled boards), drawings, spine little faded, edges toned (pages lightly toned), inner hinge split (front v1, rear v2, pages firm), edgewear, annotation rear flyleaf. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. A collection of ten booklets on world travel, written in the French language. Ten parts (pages individually numbered, about 140p per part) are here bound in two volumes. Volume 1: Australie - Oceanie [Voyages de Williams Jarvis] - Asie [China] - Europe Meridionale - Amerique du Sud. Volume 2: Afrique Septentrionale - Amerique Septentrionale - Asie [India] - Europe Septentrionale - Afrique. A scarce complete set of booklets. Our Book No: 16624. $200 AUD.
42. Guy, H.; Guy, C.; Paris, Alfred (illustrator) (1897). Le Roman d'un Petit Marin (2nd ed) [Bibliotheque des Ecoles et des Families]. Paris: Librarie Hachette et Cie. 272 pp. Hardback small quarto, no jacket, very good condition, original pictorial red cloth cover (spine ends chipped), black & white engravings, all edges gilt, some foxing (mainly near edges of some pages), blotchy patches rear cloth cover (small section board exposed), pages lightly toned, minor edgewear, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. Heavy (1.1 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. Second edition. A children's maritime adventure set in Brittany [France], North Africa, India and Indo-China [Indochina]. Our Book No: 1851. $50 AUD.
43. Hall, Robert A. Jr. (1955). Hands Off Pidgin English! Sydney: Pacific Publications. 142 pp. Hardback small, no jacket, good plus condition, green cloth boards (rear cover lightly flecked), endpapers lightly toned, jacket flap laid down on pastedown. American linguist offers a passionate defence of Pidgin English, as practiced in New Guinea and elsewhere, as a distinct language that advances the welfare of native people. SALE PRICE. Our Book No: 13061. $15 AUD.
44. Harrasser, Albert (1936). Die Rechtsverletzung Bei den Australischen Eingeborenen: Beitrag zur Monograph "Darstellung des Strafrechtes der Australischen Primitiven". Stuttgart: Verlag von Ferdinand Enke. 167 pp. Paperback trade, original paper covers, very good condition, many pages edges uncut, other edges untrimmed, minor foxing edges, minor edgewear. In German language. English translation of title: "Violation of the Law by Australian Aborigines. Contribution to the Monograph: Representation of the Criminal Law of the Australian Natives". Our Book No: 14622. $40 AUD.
45. Information and Extension Services, Department of (1965). Wokim Gutpela Ne Seri Bilong Kokonas / Make a Good Coconut Nursery [Pidgin language]. Port Moresby: Government Printer. 16 pp. Paperback wide, stapled pamphlet, very good condition, black & white text-photos, pages lightly toned. Has Pidgin and English as parallel texts. Our Book No: 13431. $14 AUD.
46. Ivanova, L. A. (2005). The Cook Collection in the St. Petersburg Kunstkammer: Some Problems of Sources and Attribution [Russian Language]. Moskva (Moscow): Russian Academy of Sciences / Nauka. 272 pp. Hardback large quarto, no jacket as issued, very good plus condition, black & white text-photos, colour plates, minimal edgewear. Heavy (1.1 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. Russian language book. Comprehensive documentation of the James Cook collection of ethnographic objects and prints in St Petersburg's Kunstkammer Museum (now the Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography). In 1779, these were presented by the officer's of Cook's third voyage to the governor of Kamchatka, in gratitude for the welcome to the expedition ships that arrived shortly after Cook's death in Hawaii. A year later, Empress Catherine ordered their transfer to the museum. The collection includes numerous rare pieces from Hawaii, Tonga and Tahiti. Includes a bibliography, a re-discovered series of engravings prepared from drawings by William Hodges to illustrate the official account of Cook's second voyage. ISBN: 5020102709. Our Book No: 17357. $160 AUD.
47. Joshy, Mou (2004). Learn Tamil in 4 Weeks. Chennai: Alpha Land Books. 200 pp. Paperback very small, very good plus condition. Subtitle: Easy and understanding approach of learning Tamil through English without a teacher. ISBN: 8182490162. Our Book No: 15134. $15 AUD.
48. Knos, Teodor (1875). Bilder ur Lifvet i Australian: Reseskildringar. Stockholm: Albert Bonniers Forlag. 263 pp. Hardback small octavo, no jacket, very good condition, blue cloth cover (gilt embossed design front cover & spine), full-page drawings (woodcuts), duplicate (extra-illustrated) title page, frontispiece drawing (with tissue guard), single-colour maps at rear, recased (new grey endpapers), minimal foxing (moderate first & last page), pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. A narrative written from letters sent by Knos (Knoes) when he travelled throughout New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria in 1873. Written in the Swedish language. Superb gilt front cover design of Aborigine with spear, kangaroo, emu and platypus surrounded by vegetation. Our Book No: 16596. $150 AUD.
49. Kotzebue, August von; Kotsebue, August von (title page) (1800). Broeder Morits, de Zonderlinge, of de Volkplanting voor de Pelew-Eilanden, Tooneelspel in 3 Bedrijven. City Not Stated: Publisher Not Stated. 162 pp. Hardback very small, no jacket, good condition, rebound (new endpapers), pages toned & creased from age, edges untrimmed, minor edgewear. (Estimated date, from similar editions published in the 1790s and 1800s, Worldcat.) A play by the popular German playwright, August von Kotzebue (1761 - 1819) here translated into the Dutch language. Our Book No: 16595. $30 AUD.
50. Kovats, Gabor (1978). 300 Jahre Klaviermusik: Die Slawische Romantik / 300 Years of Piano Music: Slavic Romanticism [Plate: Z7981]. Budapest: Editio Musica. 52 pp. Paperback folio, very good condition, sticker removal marks, corner rear cover creased. Sheet music. Parallel titles in English, German and Hungarian. Our Book No: 14177. $25 AUD.
51. Krajums, Kora Dziesmu (1993). Kora Dziesmu Krajums: Dziesmas Tinu Kamola: AL43.KD, Brisbane 1993. City Not Stated: Publisher Not Stated. 56 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, musical scores, brochure loosely enclosed, minor scratches, owner's name (texta), some pencil annotation. This booklet of sheet music (with text in Latvian language) presents Latvian folk songs presented at the 43rd Latvian Cultural Festival, Brisbane, 1993. Loosely inserted: stapled pamphlet (28 pages, large quarto), being mainly transcripts of the Latvian folk songs. Our Book No: 15059. $25 AUD.
52. La Rosa, Domenico (1995). L'Apostolato di P. Giuseppe La Rosa in Australia [Italian language]. Sydney, Leichhardt: Domenica La Rosa / Co.As.It: Italian Historical Society of New South Wales. 189 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), reproduced documents (letters), colour photos spread at rear. Italian language book being "The Apostleship of P. Giuseppe La Rosa in Australia". Father Giuseppe La Rosa (1915 - 1990) spent only a decade on Australian soil, but left a rich legacy for Italian-Australians, including his brief memoirs. Incorporating English translation by Barbara McGilvray of: "Dieci Anni tra gli Italiani in Australia (1939 - 1949)", or, in English "Ten Years of Italians in Australia (1939 - 1949) ". ISBN: 0646261134. Our Book No: 14040. $60 AUD.
53. Laing, Uisdean (1964). Gu Tir Mo Luaidh (Dain Eilthireach, Sgeulachdan Agus Eachdraidh) (1st stated ed). Perth, Swanbourne: Hugh Laing. 72 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket (minor marking & tears, reverse side toned), autograph (author's written dedication). A collection of poetry and prose translated into Gaelic, English translations of Gaelic poems, and original poems in English and Gaelic, by Western Australian teacher and education superintendent. Our Book No: 4085. $30 AUD.
54. Lauterer, Dr. Joseph (1900). Australien und Tasmanien: Nach Eigener Anschauung und Forschung Wissneschaftlich und Praktisch Geschildert. Freiburg im Breisgau: Herderische Verlagshandlung. 482 pp. Hardback large octavo, no jacket, very good condition, original green cloth pictorial cover (gilt lettering), figures (black & white engravings), map, colour frontispiece (tissue guard, little foxed), recased (new grey endpapers), edges little foxed & marked, minor edgewear cloth cover (corners little bumped & chipped, small split spine), stickers, rubber stamps, magazine clipping pasted inside front cover. Heavy (1.3 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. A history of Australia including Tasmania, written in the German language (gothic script). Aboriginal theme. Rubber stamp of private library (Julius Bader, Augsburg). Joseph Lauterer (1848 - 1911) was born in Freiburg, Germany. He practiced as a medical doctor for many years in Brisbane. He also had a strong interest in botany, and pioneered the study of poisonous and medicinal plants, eucalyptus resins, Aboriginal medicine, and Aboriginal languages. Ferguson 11461. Our Book No: 16478. $140 AUD.
55. Ledru, Andre Pierre; de Vizcarrondo, D.Julio L. (translator) & Mendez, Eugenio Fernandez (preface) (1957). Viaje a la Isla de Puerto Rico (2nd ed). Puerto Rico: Instituto de Literatura Puertorriquena, Universidad de Puerto Rico / Printed in Mexico. 179 pp. Paperback small octavo, good condition, covers & endpapers lightly foxed & creased (spine toned, top spine torn), edges toned, pages lightly toned, edgewear. (Translated from French into Spanish language, originally in 1863. This is the second edition of 1957.) A report on a visit by French naturalist Andre Pierre Ledru to Puerto Rico, as part of the 1797 West Indies expedition led by Captain Nicolas Baudin. Ledru described the colony, and collected both living and dried plants for museums in Paris. Our Book No: 16569. $30 AUD.
56. Liebknecht, Karl (1921). Politische Aufzeichnungen aus Seinem Nachlass Geschrieben in den Jahren 1917 - 1918 [Politische Aktions Bibliothek]. Berlin: Die Aktion (Franz Pfemfert). 162 pp. Hardback octavo, very good condition, superior spine (lightly foxed) with papered board cover, front flyleaf creased & lightly foxed, pages lightly toned, rubber stamp. Translation of title: "Political Notes from His Estate Published in the Years 1917 - 1918". Our Book No: 13515. $30 AUD.
57. Macintyre, Duncan Ban; Macleod, Angus (editor) (1952). The Songs of Duncan Ban Macintyre (1st ed) [Scottish Gaelic Texts]. Edinburgh: Scottish Gaelic Texts Society / Oliver & Boyd. 581 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, good condition, top edge gilt, roughly cut page edges, light internal toning & foxing, endpapers little foxed & toned, edges toned, spine ends lightly worn, rear cover corners little bumped, minor edgewear, owner's written name. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. This wonderful old book contains the songs of 18th century Gaelic poet Duncan Ban Macintyre, who was born at Glenorchy, Argyleshire, Scotland, in the year 1724. He began to compose songs at age 23. The Gaelic words appear opposite the English translation by Macleod (edited, with notes and introduction). Our Book No: 28839. $30 AUD.
58. Majerova, Marie; Svolinsky, Karel (1955). O Slepicce a Kohoutkovi [The Hen and the Cockerel]. Praha [Prague]: Stani Nakladatelstvi Detske Knihy [Public Children's Books Publishing Company]. Unnum 24 pp. Hardback oblong quarto, board cover (green cloth spine), very good condition, colour drawings, corners little bumped, minor edgewear. A delightful children's picture story in the Czech language. Our Book No: 15455. $30 AUD.
59. Mars; Bonvoisin, Maurice (true name) (1892). Sable and Galet: Plages Normandes et Plages du Nord: de Cherbourg a Rosendael - Dunkerque. Paris: Librarie Plon. 72 pp. Hardback folio (32.0 x 25.5 cm), good condition, pictorial green cloth cover, colour & black & white drawings (some full-page), pages lightly toned, corners & spine ends bumped & worn, minor foxing, edgewear. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. (Estimated date, Worldcat.) Title in English: "Sand & Pebble (Normandy Beaches and Northern Beaches)". Drawings and humorous text on one side of page only. Fabulous drawings & cartoons (lithographs) of French beach scenes. By Maurice Bonvoisin (1849 - 1912), under the pseudonym Mars. Our Book No: 15673. $80 AUD.
60. McDermott, Vi; King-Smith, Leah (illustrator) (2007). Munyourbarn! Look and Learn: An Aboriginal Elder's Stories (1st stated ed). Southport, QLD: Keeaira Press. 32 pp. Hardback quarto, pictorial cover, very good plus condition, full-page colour illustrations, covers little rubbed, autograph (author's written name title page). In this beautiful Aboriginal children's picture book, she tells stories about growing up in the Queensland bush. The last story is "The Dreamtime Story" about an emu, a brolga and a jabiru. The life-like illustrations make this book come alive. The glossary at the rear of the book explains the English meaning of the Aboriginal words. ISBN: 9780980323337. Our Book No: 28158. $18 AUD.
61. Meneghelli, Pietro (1978). La Lettera di Joyce [James Joyce]. Roma (Rome): Editrice Lestoille. 160 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, spine lightly foxed, owner's rubber stamp. A critical commentary of the James Joyce novel "Finnegan's Wake" as a journey in search of an imaginary golden age, through space and time, with the eventual hero's return to home and childhood. Also discusses "Another September" by Thomas Kinsella, and "The Hobby" by Flann O'Brien. Written in the Italian language. (No ISBN in book.). Our Book No: 16602. $10 AUD.
62. Menke, Joe; Bertie, Bernd; Jones, Ollie (1961). Without Your Love (Ganz Ohne Liebe) [Plate: B.8031]. Melbourne: D. Davis & Co. 4 pp. Paperback large quarto, single folded sheet, good condition, minor creasing & edgewear (corner tip removed), pages little toned, rubber stamp. Sheet music in German and English. Original text and music by Menke & Bertie, English lyric by Jones. Stamped on front cover: Professional copy only - not for sale (does not apply to this secondhand copy). Our Book No: 14849. $10 AUD.
63. Merimee, Prosper (1923). Carmen, Arsene Guillot, L'Abbe Aubain, La Dame de Pique, Les Bohemiens, Le Hussard, Nicolas Gogol. Paris: Calmann-Levy, Editeurs. 359 pp. Hardback octavo, good plus condition, half-bound (red leather spine & corners, gilt lettering & raised bands spine), marbled endpapers, pages lightly toned (title page very toned), edges foxed (& parts of some pages). (No 866 of 1600 copies.) Short stories by the French writer, in the French language. The opera Carmen was based in part on the novella of the same title by Prosper Merimee. Our Book No: 15896. $20 AUD.
64. Merkur, Deutsche (1778). Der Deutsche Merkur vom Jahr 1778 [Der Teutsche Mekur]. Weimar, Germany: Publisher Not Stated. 286 pp. Hardback small, no jacket, good condition, paper-board cover (speckled pattern, possible rebound), black & white portrait frontispiece, tinted page edges, front flyleaf clipped & repaired, pages toned, edgewear covers (corners bumped). The 1778 collected issue (October, November, December) of a German-language periodical that was issued between 1773 and 1810. Frontispiece portrait is of Frantz von Sichingen [Sickingen], medieval German knight. Our Book No: 17042. $80 AUD.
65. Moliterno, Gino (editor); Pettini, Roberto (editor) (2003). Sydney and the Italian Touch: Italian-Australians in Sydney [Sydney e il Tocco Italiano: Italo-Australiani a Sydney]. Sydney: Italian Cultural Association / Five Dock Learning Centre. 185 pp. Hardback large quarto, no jacket as issued, very good condition, pictorial cover, black & white text-photos (mostly portraits), few full-page colour photos, minor edgewear. Portraits and the lives of 39 prominent Italian-Australians from Sydney, arranged in seven categories: Art and artisans, food and drink, entrepreneurs, political and social life, cinema and journalism, entertainment, immigration and language. Arranged by 2 to 4 pages per person in English, then repeated in the Italian language. ISBN: 0646424149. Our Book No: 17159. $30 AUD.
66. Mozart, W. A.; Wales, Evelyn (1945). La ci Darem la Mano: Duet for Soprano and Baritone from "Don Giovanni" [Plate: B4830]. Melbourne: Allan & Co. 8 pp. Paperback large quarto, looseleaf as issued, good condition, covers lightly foxed, some creasing, edgewear, owner's written name front cover. Sheet music for "Let Me Still Hold Your Hand", vocal scores with piano, words in Italian and English. Music by Mozart, English words by Wales. Our Book No: 14847. $10 AUD.
67. Mudrooroo; Seruzier, Christian (translator) (1995). Le Maitre du Reve-Fantome (1st French ed) [Master of the Ghost Dreaming]. La Tour d'Aigues: Editions de l'Aube. 200 pp. Paperback trade, good condition, edges & endpapers lightly foxed, minor edgewear, autograph (author's written dedication), card loosely inserted. French-language edition of a novel based on Wybalenna Aboriginal mission at Flinders Island, the life of G.A. Robinson and his wife, and Truganini Wourreddy. Dedication reads: "For Tom, with heartfelt thanks for bringing me the Master. 7-3-95". The card (l'Aube editions imprint) reads: "Tom: Here it is at last - my first publication, thanks to you and I'm sure you'll understand how I feel today! A thousand thanks." Both are signed "Colin" [Johnson, his English name]. ISBN: 2876782146. Our Book No: 14799. $15 AUD.
68. Mudrooroo; Seruzier, Christian (translator) (2010). Chat Sauvage en Chute Libre. Paris: Asphalte Editions. 169 pp. Paperback (with flaps), very good plus condition. (French-language edition of the book "Wild Cat Falling", originally published in 1965.) Novel about a bodgie Aboriginal youth of the 1960s. The first novel published in Australia by an Aboriginal writer. ISBN: 9782918767008. Our Book No: 14800. $20 AUD.
69. Nerval, [Gerard de] (1944). Les Filles du Feu [Les Tresors de la Literature Francaise]. Geneva: Editions d'Art Albert Skira. 287 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, very good condition, half-bound (paper-covered boards, cream leather spine & corner tips), edges untrimmed & faintly foxed. (Estimated date, 1944. Originally published in 1854.) A volume of short stories or idylls: Introduction - Angelique - Sylvie - Chansons et legendes du Valois - Octavie - Isis - Pandora. Note: "Sylvie" is his most famous story (novelette). Les Chimeres - a sequence of twelve poems in the form of sonnets - is appended. Our Book No: 15665. $25 AUD.
70. Oberlander, Gerhard (1953). Pingo und Pinga: Ein Bilderbuch fur Grosse und Kleine Kinder Erzahlt und Gemalt von Gerhard Oberlander (1st ed). Frankfurt am Main: Buchergilde Gutenberg. Unnum 32 pp. Hardback large quarto, no jacket, very good condition, pictorial board cover (cloth spine), colour drawings, minor edgewear. First edition. German language children's picture story about the love between two penguins Pingo and Pinga who overcome adversity. Our Book No: 15561. $30 AUD.
71. Oksanen, Sofi; Farbregd, Turid (translation) (2011). Utrenskning [Purge]. Norway: Forlaget Oktober. 333 pp. Paperback, very good plus condition. Bestselling novel by Estonian-Finnish writer, and winner of the Nordic Council Literature Prize, 2010. Translated from Finnish to Norwegian. The story of an old lady Allide and a forlorn young girl Zara. The elder has lived her entire life on the farm in western Estonia, the younger has grown up in the easternmost Russia and has sought her luck in Western Europe, but is now on the run from men who pursue her. Gradually we become aware of the bond that unites the two women. The action occurs in part during WW2 (1940s) during the Soviet occupation of Estonia, and partly in the early 1990s when a new Europe is taking shape. ISBN: 9788249508266. Our Book No: 16014. $15 AUD.
72. Palacios, Alex; Osegeda, Roy C. Boland (translator) (2009). Simplemente Poesia: Simply Poetry. Sydney, Willoughby: Cervantes Publishing. 205 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, autograph (author's written dedication). Bilingual edition. Poems in Spanish, by the Chilean-Australian poet. The poems have a strong autobiographical flavour. The poems are translated into English in the second half of the book. There is a short biography of the poet at the front of both the Spanish and English sections. ISBN: 9780949274281. Our Book No: 16104. $20 AUD.
73. Parra, Alejandro (2003). Fenomenos Paranormales: Una Introduccion a los Eventos Sorprendentes (1st ed) [Paranormal Phenomena: An Introduction to Surprising Events]. Buenos Aires: Coleccion Infinito / Editorial Kier. 160 pp. Paperback (with flap), very good plus condition, tables, black & white text-photos, autograph (author's written dedication). (From the library of retired parapsychologist Harvey Irwin.) An introduction to parapsychology written in Spanish for readers in Argentina. ISBN: 9501770044. Our Book No: 14938. $15 AUD.
74. Renault, Emmanuel (2001). Hegel: La Naturalisation de la Dialectique [Histoire de la Philosophie]. Paris: Librarie Philosophique / J. Vrin. 320 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition. The philosophy of nature has mostly been ignored in Hegelian studies. A careful reading of the German philosopher rectifies this prejudice, showing that not only is Hegel attentive and respectful of positive knowledge of his time, but that he tries to define the terms of methodological collaboration between philosophy and science. What is a speculative science project? What is Hegel's speculative deduction of the truth? What is the Hegelian understanding of the status and forms of discourse of the natural sciences? What attitude should the speculation adopt concerning scientific controversies? It is these questions that this book attempts to answer. (French language.). ISBN: 9782711615025. Our Book No: 16762. $45 AUD.
75. Rietstap, J. B.; Rietmann, O. & Kelly, William (1867). Australie: De Jongste Zee-en Landreizen in dat Werelddeel, aan het Volk Verhaald. Leiden: Van den Heuvell & Van Santen. 274 pp. Hardback large octavo, very good condition, green cloth cover (gilt & black embosssed cover & spine), colour frontispiece, edges faintly foxed, minor edgewear & bumping corners, top spine little frayed, prize bookplate. (Estimated date, 1867, Ferguson 14922. Trove catalogue, 1870s.) A rare Dutch translation by Johannes Baptist Rietstap (1828 - 1891) of two books about travel to Australia and the south west Pacific islands in the 1850s. The first book is "Wanderungen in Australien und Polynesien" (in German language), by O. Rietmann. The second book is "Life in Victoria, or Victoria in 1853, and Victoria in 1858", by William Kelly. Frontispiece is chromolithograph of Sydney. Bookplate is prize awarded at Institution de Glimes, Anvers (dated 1876). Our Book No: 15603. $400 AUD.
76. Roy, Mme; Perron, J. (1909). Les Explorations Geographiques au XIXe Siecle. Paris: Societe d'Edition et de Publications. 256 pp. Hardback large quarto, no jacket, very good condition, quarto-bound, leather spine (raised bands, gilt lettering), marbled boards & endpapers, drawings, maps, spine ends chipped (edges worn), pages very toned, string bookmark, dated bookplate (school prize certificate). Heavy (1.5 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. (Estimated date, 1909, bookplate.) Title in English: "Geographic explorations of the 19th century". A worthy worldwide survey of exploration, written in the French language. Our Book No: 16808. $100 AUD.
77. Saint-Saens, C.; Spicker, Max (editor) (1911). Operatic Anthology: Mon Coeur S'Ouvre a ta Voix (My Heart at Thy Sweet Voice). New York: G. Schirmer. 10 pp. Paperback large quarto, cloth binding, good condition, pages lightly toned, tear bottom edge pages repaired, edgewear, owner's written name. Sheet music for soprano. Extracted from "Samson et Dalila". Text in English and French language. Copyright 1889, renewed in 1911. Written name is "Mrs E. Murdoch. Our Book No: 15301. $10 AUD.
78. Schachner, Robert (1912). Austraalia ja Uusi Seelanti: Maa, Kansa ja Talous (Mukaellen Suomensi A. K.). Jyvaskylassa: K. J. Gummerus Osakeyhtio. 61 pp. Paperback, good plus condition, card cover, pages lightly toned, spine little torn (repaired), minor edgewear. Title translation: "Australia and New Zealand: Country, Nation and Economy (Nicely translated by A.K.)". A pamphlet, translated (probably from German) into Finnish, about Australia and New Zealand up to the 1900s. (Robert Schachner, a German economist, wrote a series of letters from Australia during 1906 - 1907, about the supposed worker's paradise in Australia.). Our Book No: 16556. $30 AUD.
79. Schirmer, G.; Baker, Theodore (translator) (1948). Twenty-Four Italian Songs and Arias of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries: For Medium Low Voice [Schirmer's Library of Musical Classics, no 1723: Plate 41573]. New York: G. Schirmer. 100 pp. Hardback large quarto, blue cloth cover (gilt lettering), very good condition, rear cloth cover little scratched, endpapers toned, pages lightly toned, minor foxing, one folded sheet loose (misbound), minor edgewear, minor annotation contents page. Sheet music, in Italian language, with English translation (rebound edition). Includes: Per La Gloria D'adorarvi; Amarilli, Mia Bella; Alma Del Core; Come Raggio Di Sol; Sebben, Crudele; Vittoria, Mio Core!; Non Posso Disperar; Danza, Danza, Fanciulla Gentile; Vergin, Tutto Amor; Caro Mio Ben; O Del Mio Dolce Ardor; Che Fiero Costume; Pur Dicesti, O Bocca Bella; Il Mio Bel Foco; Lasciatemi Morire!; Nel Cor Piu Non Mi Sento; Se Tu M'ami, Se Sospiri; Nina (Attributed To Pergolesi); Gia Il Sole Dal Gange; Le Violette; O Cessate Di Piagarmi; Se Florindo E Fedele; Pieta, Signore!; Tu Lo Sai. Our Book No: 14641. $15 AUD.
80. Schumann, Robert (1926). Schumann Lieder und Balladen Album: Tief: Bd. I [German language: Edition Globus No. 35]. Berlin: Globus Verlag. 40 pp. Paperback small folio, very good condition, card cover (black cloth spine), scuff mark title page, pages little toned, minor edgewear. (Published about 1926, WorldCat.) Sheet music, Part 1 of 3-part series: Songs (Deep voice) with piano. Contents: Wanderlied (Hiking Song); Ich Grolle Nicht (I Bear No Grudge); Die Beiden Grenadiere (The Two Grenediers); Du Bist Wie eine Blume (You're Like a Flower); Mondnacht (Moon); Schone Wiege Meiner Leiden (Beautiful Cradle of my Sufferings); Fruhlingsfahrt (Spring Ride); Wer Machte Dich So Krank? (Who Made You So Sick?); Ich wandre nicht (I Do Not Wander); Der Hidalgo (The Hildalgo); Der Schatzgräber (The Treasure Hunter); Allnachtlich im Traume (Every Night in My Dreams); Er Ist's (Its Him) ; Auftrage (Orders). Our Book No: 14176. $30 AUD.
81. Sinding, Christian (1931). Fruhlingsrauschen Klavierstuck (Piano Piece: Rustle of Spring: Opus 32 no. 3) [Peters Edition no. 2870 / Plate 8486]. Leipzig: C. F. Peters. 10 pp. Paperback small folio, stapled card cover, good plus condition, cover lightly foxed, pages little toned, edges toned / thumbed. (Originally published, 1896, noted by German bookseller. Later reprint, 1931, base of rear cover.) Sheet music of German piano piece. Our Book No: 13854. $15 AUD.
82. Smith, Ethel (1945). Ethel Smith Album (Tico-Tico, Brazil, Parrot, Baia, and Other Successful Tunes). Melbourne: Allan & Co. 30 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, stapled, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear, owner's written name. (Latest copyright date, 1945.) Sheet music for nine popular Brazilian songs. Text in both Portuguese and English. Our Book No: 16469. $15 AUD.
83. Souter, Alexander (1999). Earliest Latin Commentaries on the Epistles of St Paul. Oxford: Sandpiper Books / Clarendon Press. 244 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), old price marks, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. These Latin commentaries on part of the New Testament were originally published from 360 AD to 410 AD. Reprint of a book originally published in 1929. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 0198270011. Our Book No: 12017. $10 AUD.
84. Stillings, Henrich (1923). Jugend: Eine Wahrhafte Geschichte [Youth: A True Story]. Berlin & Leipzig: George Jacob Decker. 169 + 11 pp. Hardback very small, marbled cloth boards, leather spine (gilt decoration & lettering), very good condition, pages toned, minor foxing, minor edgewear. German language. Originally published 1777 (title page), this being a 1923 reprint. Autobiography of the early life of Johann Heinrich Jung, the German author, physician and academic (1740 - 1817). "Henrich Stillings" is a pen name. Our Book No: 15501. $40 AUD.
85. Strauss, Johann; Gray, Geoffrey (editor) (1941). Voices of Spring (Voci di Primavera). Melbourne: Allan & Co. 10 pp. Paperback small folio, looseleaf, good plus condition, front cover creased, minor edgewear. (Copyright, 1941.) Sheet music, English words by N. H. Cole, Italian words by I. Celesti, music by Strauss. Our Book No: 14737. $10 AUD.
86. Suares, Andre (1915). Occident: Commentaires sur la Guerre des Boches IV [West: Commentaries on the German War IV]. Paris: Emile-Paul Freres. 108 pp. Hardback octavo, floral paper-covered boards, red cloth spine (gilt decoration & lettering), very good condition, floral endpapers, wide text margins, untrimmed edges, minor edgewear, pencil annotation front free flyleaf, initialled bookplate front pastedown. The fourth volume of commentary on WW1, this time the Western front. Our Book No: 14298. $40 AUD.
87. Summers, Ray (1994). Essentials of New Testament Greek (Reprint ed). Nashville, TN: Broadman Press. 171 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), fold-out chart attached to rear pastedown, pages lightly toned, top spine little bumped, minor edgewear jacket (reverse side lightly toned, tiny scuff spine, small mark top corner rear flap). (Copyright, 1950, but later ISBN printing.) This book begins with the basic matters of alphabet, pronunciation, and accent. The author has written a well organized and clearly stated textbook for use in seminary and college classes. It is divided into 33 lessons, in turn subdivided under the headings: Lexical Study, Grammatical Study, and Practical Application. Under the last appear exercises in translation of both Greek into English and English into Greek. A complete set of paradigms, and an adequate vocabulary are at the back of the book. ISBN: 080541309X. Our Book No: 27796. $15 AUD.
88. Sunshine Club, Members of (1975). Norfolk Island Cookery Book, with Local Words and Phrases. Norfolk Island: Greenways Press. 48 pp. Paperback very small, stapled pamphlet, card cover, very good condition. Estimated date: 1970s (Trove, this publisher). Last three pages contain Norfolk phrases and their English translation. Our Book No: 9223. $10 AUD.
89. Thomas, J. W. (2010). Von Nias Nach Kaiser-Wilhelms-Land und Uber Australien Zuruck nach Deutschlands: Ein Reisejahr. Gutersloh: C. Bertelsmann (original publisher). 90 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, yellow card cover, black & white text-photos, top corner front cover lightly creased. (Estimated date, 2010.) Modern facsimile edition of a German-language book originally published in 1892. Translation of title: "From Nias to Kaiser-Wilhelms-Land and over to Australia and back to Germany: A Travel Year". The account of a German missionary visiting German New Guinea (now Papua New Guinea). The scanned photos are low-quality, and there is no map in this edition. Our Book No: 16820. $30 AUD.
90. Turnbull, John (1806). John Turnbull's Reise um die Welt in den Jahren 1800 bis 1804: Nebst einer Genauen Schilderung der Englischen Verbrecher-Kolonien in Neu-Holland und der Societats- und Sandwich-Inseln in ihrem Gegenwartigen Zustande. Wein (Vienna): In Kommission bei Anton Doll. 438 pp. Hardback small octavo, no jacket, very good condition, marbled papered board cover (spine label, corners bumped), two black & white plates (lithographs), foldout map at rear, pages lightly toned (text only) & creased, edges speckled & lightly foxed, sticker & rubber stamp (minimal EX-LIBRARY). Translation: "John Turnbull's travel around the world in the years 1800 to 1804: together with a precise detailing of the English convict colonies in New Holland, and the existing Society and Sandwich Islands [Tahiti and Hawaii] in the present day". A German translation of the first edition published in London in 1805. Records his commercial trading voyage aboard the trading ship Margaret, and includes extensive accounts of Botany Bay, as well as Norfolk Island. Our Book No: 16748. $400 AUD.
91. Upfield, Arthur; Valencia, Michele (translator) (1998). The Melbourne Cup Mystery [French language]. La Tour d'Aigues: Editions de l'Aube. 221 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, loose wraparound label, minor edgewear corners. This novel by Arthur Upfield, initially published in 1933, was inspired by the strange death of Phar Lap of horseracing fame. This is a scarce French language edition. ISBN: 2876784580. Our Book No: 14793. $40 AUD.
92. Van Hasselt, A.; Ronge, J.-B. (1828). Repertoire de Concerts Ecole Allemande: 30 Airs pour Basse ou Baryton [Plate: 2684]. Braunschweig & New York: Henry Litolff's Verlag. 175 pp. Hardback small quarto, half-bound (marbled covers, deluxe cloth spine), good plus condition, pages toned, endpapers lightly foxed. (Estimated date, 1828 or later, WorldCat.) Sheet music. Full title page: "Repertoire des Concers - Ecole Allemande - 30 Airs de Bach, Haendal, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Weber et Schubert - Pour Basse ou Baryton - Avec Paroles Allemandes, Italiennes ou Anglaises et Traduction Francaise Rythmee - par A. van Hasselt et J.-B. Ronge". Parallel text in German, French and Italian languages. Our Book No: 5658. $50 AUD.
93. Verdi, Giuseppe (1946). Di Quella Pira (da. Il Trovatore) per Canto e Pianoforte Tenore [Biblioteca Lirica: Plate 119975]. Milano: G. Ricordi. 8 pp. Paperback small folio, good condition, looseleaf, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear & edge tears, rubber stamp. Sheet music. Our Book No: 15235. $10 AUD.
94. Veress, Sandor (1971). Fingerlarks (Billegetomuzsika): 88 Esercizi Pianistici [88 Piano Pieces]. Milano: Edizioni Suvini Zerboni. 58 pp. Paperback folio, very good condition. Sheet music for 88 piano pieces, all being Hungarian folk tunes. Foreword in Italian, English and German languages. The title Fingerlarks comes from the English poet John Manifold. Our Book No: 16350. $30 AUD.
95. Wild, Margaret; Blackwood, Freya (illustrator) (2009). Samuel & Saltitao. Cordova, Portugal: Editorial Caminho. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback large square quarto, very good plus condition, colour drawings, top corner little bumped. Portuguese translation of the children's picture story "Harry & Hopper" (Omnibus, Gosford, 2009). Samuel and Saltitao his dog do everything together. At night, Saltibao sneaks past Dad and goes to sleep in Samuel's bed. One day, samuel comes home from school and his dog isn't there to greet him. Teaches children about the death of a loved pet dog. ISBN: 9789722120937. Our Book No: 14867. $20 AUD.
96. Wild, Margaret; Brooks, Ron (illustrator) (2005). Zorro. Caracas, Venezuela: Ediciones Ekare / Edif. Banco del Libro. Unnum pp. Paperback large square quarto, very good plus condition, colour drawings. A classic children's picture story, written in the Spanish language, and published in Venezuela. An injured magpie and a one-eyed dog live happily together in the forest, until a jealous fox arrives to teach them what it means to be alone. ISBN: 9802573140. Our Book No: 14836. $20 AUD.
97. Wild, Margaret (Margateh); Niland, Deborah (illustrator) (2010). Vovo Nene [Grandpa Baby]. Brazil: Editora Fundamento. 32 pp. Paperback square quarto, very good condition, colour drawings, top edge front cover lightly faded. Brazilian edition of a favourite children's picture book (Grandpa Baby, by Margaret Wild). ISBN: 9788576769354. Our Book No: 15143. $16 AUD.
98. Wolf, Hugo (1951). Wolf: Selected Songs: Volume 1B - High [Imperial Edition 583: Plate B5484]. Melbourne: Allans Music (Australia). 25 pp. Paperback folio, very good condition, grey card cover, stapled (rusted), corner tip front cover creased, owner's written name & details. (Copyright date, 1951, but later reprint with decimal price.) Sheet music for eight songs: Secrecy - The Mouse Trap - Home - In the Night - The Gardener - The Forsaken Maiden - To An Ancient Picture - Anacreon's Grave. Words in English and German. Our Book No: 16192. $15 AUD.
99. Wyss, J. D. [as Wyss]; MM, Telery et Pegard, illustrators & Montolieu, Madame Isabelle de (translator) (1861). Le Robinson Suisse: Contenant la Suite Donnee par l'Auteur: Traduction Nouvelle. Paris: Morozot, Libraire-Editeur. 464 pp. Hardback small, no jacket, very good condition, brown cloth cover (embossed bands, gilt spine lettering & decoration), full-page black & white engravings, frontispiece engraving (tissue guard, toned & torn repaired), all edges gilt, flexible endpapers, edgewear, some foxing (mainly end pages & page edges), protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. A novel for young adults written in German in 1812, inspired by Defoe's Robinson Crusoe. It was translated by Montolieu into French in 1814, altering the ending. This is a later version of this French translation. A Swiss family is shipwrecked on a desert island en route to Port Jackson, New South Wales. Our Book No: 16805. $50 AUD.
100. Zempleni, Kornel (1977). 300 Jahre Klaveriermusik: Wiener Klassiker / 300 Years of Piano Music: Vienna Classics [Plate: Z7975]. Budapest: Editio Musica. 44 pp. Paperback small folio, card cover, stapled (rusted), very good condition, minor edgewear. Sheet music. Parallel titles in English, German and Hungarian. Our Book No: 15232. $20 AUD.