INTERNET BOOKSHOP: SELLING BOOKS SINCE 1998
ORDER 2 OR MORE BOOKS: RECEIVE 20% DISCOUNT !!
Equivalent to free postage
PO Box 176, Annandale NSW 2038, Australia.
Phone: (02) 9550-1258 (late afternoon or message).
(Located in Australia):
BOOKS FOR SALE: RECENT ACQUISITIONS AUGUST - SEPTEMBER 2020
Check this on our online database, updated weekly !!
All books are in stock (except for a few recent sales). Plus postage at cost.
We offer 20% discount for orders of 2 or more books (equivalent to free postage).
1. ABC, Australian Broadcasting Commission; Orchestra, Sydney Symphony (1946). Program: The Australian Broadcasting Commission Presents the Sydney Symphony Orchestra: Guest Conductor Joseph Post: Soloist Eunice Gardiner. Sydney: Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC). 18 pp. Paperback small octavo, card covers, stapled pamphlet (staples rusted), very good condition, black & white drawings, few text-photos & adverts, minor edgewear. Recital program guide for a concert on Saturday, 7th December, 1946. The Australian Broadcasting Commission, in conjunction with the NSW Government and the Municipal Council of Sydney, presents the Sydney Symphony Orchestra at the Town Hall, Sydney. Guest conductor: Joseph Post. Soloist: Eunice Gardiner. Six recitals: Suite from the music for the Royal Fireworks in D Major (Handel) - Rhapsody A Shropshire Lad (Butterworth) - Three movements from the Planets Suite (Mars, Venus, Jupiter) - Concerto no 2 in B flat (Op. 19) for pianoforte and orchestra (Beethoven) - El Amor Brujo Fisherman's Song and Pantomine (Falla) - Overture The Mastersingers (Wagner). Includes old adverts from the 1940s. Our Book No: 21663. $15 AUD.
2. Adams, Marion (editor) (1971). The German Tradition: Aspects of Art and Culture in German-Speaking Countries. Sydney: John Wiley & Sons. 220 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos & drawings, map, corner front cover creased, rear card cover lightly foxed, spine faintly creased, minor edgewear, owner's written name. Essays on the German contribution to Western civilisation in fields such as art, music, medieval and modern literature, philosophy, psychology, psychiatry, education, science, politics, economy and foreign affairs. The editor is from the Department of Germanic Studies, University of Melbourne. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 0471004618. Our Book No: 21859. $10 AUD.
3. Admiralty (1951). Map: Red Sea Jabal Al Tair to Perim Island: Compiled from Information in the Hydrographic Department to 1937 (Corrected ed) [Inset: Khor Ghulaifiqa]. London: The Admiralty. N/a pp. Map, very large format (70 cm x 100 cm), single sheet, folded horizontally once and vertically once, very good condition, small edge tear, reverse side little marked, some edgewear mainly corner tips, light toning. Admiralty chart no 143 (Zc 1951), corrected printing 1951. Originally under the superintendence of Captain Frederick J. Evans . Contains coastal towns, rivers and hills, as well as extensive depth soundings off the coast and several islands including Perim Island, straits, inset Khor Ghulaifiqa. Our Book No: 40494. $30 AUD.
4. Admiralty (1956). Map: Africa West Coast: Walvis Bay to Orange River: Principally from the German Government Charts 1926-30 (Corrected ed). London: The Admiralty. N/a pp. Map, very large format (70 cm x 100 cm), single sheet, folded horizontally once, good condition, cancelled rubber stamp, some edgewear mainly corners, slight toning, few small edge tears, few marks reverse side, few light creases, slight circular indentation. Admiralty chart no 632 ( Zc 1955). Corrected printing 1956. Contains coastal towns, desert, sandhills, Kuisep River, as well as extensive depth soundings off the coast. Our Book No: 40493. $30 AUD.
5. Admiralty (1956). Map: South Africa: Table Bay: South African Surveying Ship "Africana" 1933 (Corrected ed). London: The Admiralty. N/a pp. Map, very large format (70 cm x 100 cm), single sheet, folded horizontally once, good condition, two cancelled rubber stamps, some edgewear mainly corners, corners creased, slight toning, few small edge tears, few marks reverse side, few light creases. Admiralty chart no 1920 ( Zc 1954). Corrected printing 1956. Surveyed by Lieut.- Comm. J. Dalgleish, S.A.N.S. Contains coastal towns including Cape Town, quicksand warning, rivers, bays, sand dune, sandy country, Robben Island off the Coast, as well as extensive depth soundings. Our Book No: 40496. $30 AUD.
6. Admiralty (1956). Map: Madagascar - N. E. Coast: Diego Suarez Bay: From The French Government Charts to 1950 (Corrected ed). London: The Admiralty. N/a pp. Map, very large format (70 cm x 100 cm), single sheet, folded vertically once, very good condition, minor edgewear, two rubber cancelled stamps, light toning, minor foxing & slight insect damage reverse side, few tiny edge tears, top corner creased. Admiralty chart no 1116 (Zc 1954), corrected printing 1956. Contains coastal towns, bays (baies), ports, as well as extensive depth soundings off the coast. Includes the northeast Coast of Madagascar, Peninsule D’ Andrakaka, and several ports and bays. Our Book No: 40497. $30 AUD.
7. Admiralty (1956 ). Map: Plans on the North West Coast of Africa (6 maps in 1) (Corrected ed). London: The Admiralty. N/a pp. Map, very large format (70 cm x 100 cm), single sheet, folded vertically once, very good condition, few marks & light creases & cancelled rubber stamp reverse side, light toning, corners creased, crease top & base fold, minor edgewear. Admiralty chart no 2078 (Zc 1956), printing 1956. Under the Superintendence of Vice-Admiral Sir Archibald Day. Contains six separate maps on one sheet. 1. Agadir, from the French Government Chart of 1920. 2. Rade D’Afadir, from the French Government Chart of 1920. 3. Mouillage de Tafelneh, from the French Government Chart of 1952. 4. Mouillage de Saint Louis, from the French Government Chart of 1937. 5. Bahai de Villa Cusneros, from the Spanish Government Charts of 1954. 6. Fondeadero de Sidi Ifni, from the Spanish Government Chart of 1948. Our Book No: 40499. $30 AUD.
8. Aquilina, Jude; Kempf, Franz (illustrator) (2004). On a Moon Spiced Night. Adelaide, Kent Town: Wakefield Press. 82 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, few black & white drawings, small crease rear cover near spine, minimal edgewear. Rich poetry by Australian writer that is about everyday life. A second collection of poetry. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 1862546401. Our Book No: 21856. $10 AUD.
9. Beresford, Quentin (2015). The Rise and Fall of Gunns Ltd (1st ed). Sydney: NewSouth / University of New South Wales Press. 442 pp. Paperback thick octavo, very good condition, top corner covers little creased, minor edgewear. This is the story of Australia’s most controversial forestry giant company, the corruption that gave it power, the environmental activists who fought it, and the forces that brought it down. It was the largest private employer and landowner in Tasmania. The author has written a fearless and forensic book which not only exposes the collapse of the company but everything it stood for in its quest to industrialise nature. ISBN: 9781742234199. Our Book No: 40510. $30 AUD.
10. Beyerstein, Barry L. (editor); Beyerstein, Dale F. (editor) (1992). The Write Stuff: Evaluations of Graphology: The Study of Handwriting Analysis. New York: Prometheus Books. 515 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), rubber stamps. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. Gives open-minded readers an overview (though mostly skeptical) of the best evidence available on both sides of the dispute about graphology (handwriting analysis). By Canadian psychology and philosophy professors. (Rubber stamp of Australian parapsychologist, Harvey J. Irwin.). ISBN: 0879756128. Our Book No: 20107. $25 AUD.
11. Bloom, Cameron; Greive, Bradley Trevor (2016). Penguin Bloom: The Odd Little Bird who Saved a Family (1st, reprint ed). Sydney: ABC Books / HarperCollins. 207 pp. Hardback large oblong octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), colour photos, few black & white photos, minor edgewear. First edition reprint. This beautiful book is a very special story of hope and courage. This very inspiring story starts with Sam Bloom's accident which left her paralysed and very depressed. Along came Penguin the magpie chick who is left without a family after she fell from her nest, and the Bloom family care for her. Penguin is a very important member of her human family. The life-like photos show that love and care can make a big difference. ISBN: 9780733334948. Our Book No: 28789. $22 AUD.
12. Brady, Veronica (1994). Caught in the Draught: On Contemporary Australian Culture and Society. Sydney: Angus & Robertson. 310 pp. Paperback large trade, very good condition, corners faintly creased few pages, minor edgewear & rubbing. In these essays, the author tackles challenging contemporary and perennial issues facing all Australians, including racism, Aboriginal rights, social justice. Plus essays on understanding Patrick White. She is a member of the Loreto Order, and also Associate Professor of English, University of Western Australia. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 0207179433. Our Book No: 21834. $10 AUD.
13. Brain, W. Russell (1940). Recent Advances in Neurology (4th ed). London: J. & A. Churchill. 364 pp. Hardback small octavo, no jacket, good plus condition, red cloth cover (spine little slack), minimal cancelled EX-LIBRARY (spine lettering, rubber stamps title page), figures, black & white photos, some edgewear, string bookmark. Fourth edition. A popular collectible early textbook of neurology by London physician. Our Book No: 2317. $18 AUD.
14. Braun, Lilian Jackson (2005). The Cat who Went Bananas (1st UK p/b ed). London: Headline. 200 pp. Paperback, very good condition, minor edgewear. The two felines who help Jim Qwilleran solve crimes help to solve the death of an out-of-town actor and the theft of a rare book. ISBN: 0755321251. Our Book No: 25729. $10 AUD.
15. Brickell, Christopher; Joyce, David (2006). The Royal Horticultural Society Pruning and Training: The Definitive Practical Guide to Pruning Trees, Shrubs, Roses and Climbers (1st p/b ed). London: Dorling Kindersley. 336 pp. Paperback large wide quarto, very good condition, colour drawings & text-photos (some full-page), frontispiece, minimal edgewear. Heavy (1.0 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. This handy and useful reference book is a guide on how to prune, why it's good to prune, and when to do it. The many photos and drawings offer inspiration. Plants are grouped and listed alphabetically, with detailed information on the general pruning principles for each group, and the growth habits and particular needs of individual plants. The guide includes special techniques like coppicing, topiary, pinch pruning and pergola-training.The guide is based on Britain - however many of the plants and trees are grown in Australia. ISBN: 1405315261. Our Book No: 30634. $40 AUD.
16. Brown, D. G. (1968). Action (1st ed). London: George Allen & Unwin. 150 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in good plus dustjacket), edge tears jacket repaired (minor edgewear & scratches, spine toned), top corner front cover bumped, pages faintly toned, top edge lightly foxed. A philosophical account of action in which the peculiarities of human action find their place in nature. Considers one the most difficult questions in metaphysics: what is action? Examined from the point of view of the agent, the primacy of inanimate action, and the pervasiveness of explanatory insight in the description of action. Concepts common to morality, psychology, and history are discussed. By professor of philosophy, University of British Columbia. SALE PRICE. Our Book No: 21850. $16 AUD.
17. Burfield, Gillian; Mincham, Hans (foreword); Burfield, John (illustrator); Richardson, Val (illustrator) (1986). Jacob's Ladder: A Family History Isle of Wight to South Australia 1836 - 1986: Isaac and Elizabeth Jacobs and their Descendants. Adelaide: Jacobs Family Heritage Association Inc. 302 pp. Hardback large octavo, no jacket as issued, very good condition, pictorial covers, black & white photos & drawings, genealogy charts, illustrated endpapers, corners covers little bumped, minor edgewear. This the story of the Jacob's family whose roots stretch back to Britain. They settled in South Australia after sailing from England in 1837. It has taken several years of family research to produce this fascinating book. The genealogy charts and many photos and sketches make the family history very readable, and a useful reference for anyone wanting to do the extensive research required to complete their own family history. ISBN: 1862521611. Our Book No: 30009. $80 AUD.
18. Caira, Alma (2000). Ceramic and Glassware Style: Paint Your Own Tableware, Glassware, and Decorative Objects (1st ed). New York: Watson-Guptill Publications. 136 pp. Paperback small square quarto (with flaps), very good plus condition, colour text-photos & drawings, minimal edgewear. This very useful book presents over 30 original projects featuring easy-to-use paints, ranging from simple freehand designs to more complex patterns created by masking and stenciling. There are more than a dozen templates in this idea-packed book. Practical and inspirational, this beautiful book is comprehensive and sure to become an important part of your life. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 0823005887. Our Book No: 21744. $15 AUD.
19. Caldwell, Brian J.; Harris, Jessica (2008). Why Not the Best Schools? Melbourne: ACER Press. 200 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minimal edgewear. Two education academics, University of Melbourne, offer a 10-point plan to support the forthcoming "educational revolution". Based on a 5-year international study (Australia, China, England, Finland, United States, Wales) to summarise the charactersitics of the "best schools". (Does not include separate books for Australia, China, USA, etc., which provide greater detail for each country.). ISBN: 9780864319555. Our Book No: 13916. $25 AUD.
20. Carew, Edna (1997). Westpac: The Bank that Broke the Bank. Sydney: Doubleday. 460 pp. Paperback thick octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, pages lightly toned as common, minor edgewear & rubbing. This book is a racy exposure of one of Australia's most famous banking scandals. In 1982, Australia's oldest bank, the Bank of New South Wales, had been reborn as Westpac Banking Corporation. Ten years later, it faced massive debts during the 1990s recession. A finance journalist examines the financial and social pressures that caused the near-collapse of Australia's largest bank. Essential case study for all bankers and government regulators. ISBN: 0868246646. Our Book No: 22483. $32 AUD.
21. Carter, Paul (2006). Parrot [Animal series]. London: Reaktion Books. 213 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white & colour drawings, glossy paper, minimal edgewear. A fascinating natural and cultural history of this bird. The book covers three broad areas. "Parrotics" - the historical, cultural and scientific classifications of parrots. "Parroternalia" - the association of parrots with different languages, ages, tastes and dreams of human society. "Parrotology" - the mimicry of parrots and what that can tell us about our own systems of communication. This unique natural and cultural history will interest parrot enthusiasts and specialists, as well as to a more general readership. The Australian author is an architecture academic, University of Melbourne. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 1861892373. Our Book No: 21851. $10 AUD.
22. Cashore, Benjamin; Auld, Graeme; Newsom, Deanna (2004). Governing through Markets: Forest Certification and the Emergence of Non-State Authority (1st ed). New Haven: Yale University Press (YUP). 327 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), tables, figures, tiny bump bottom edge. This book documents five cases in which the Forest Stewardship Council, a forest certification program backed by leading environmental groups, has competed with industry and landowner-sponsored certification systems for legitimacy. The authors compare the politics behind forest certification in five countries: British Columbia, the United States, Germany, the United Kingdom and Sweden. ISBN: 0300101090. Our Book No: 21725. $20 AUD.
23. Clarke, Patricia (1999). Rosa! Rosa! A Life of Rosa Praed, Novelist and Spiritualist. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press. 274 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white photos, minimal foxing top edge, minor edgewear, autograph (author's written dedication title page). This prolific author of 45 novels was a very unusual woman and spiritualist. She was born in frontier Queensland, but spent most of her adult life in the literary, artistic and political circles of London. As a young woman, she moved in the squattocracy circles of Brisbane - and later in London, as a member of Oscar Wilde's circle. Rosa kept notes of the characters and conversations around her - thus her books reveal keen and intelligent observation. ISBN: 0522848559. Our Book No: 14594. $20 AUD.
24. Clough, David N. (2004). Class 50s in Operation. Hersham, Surrey: Ian Allan Publishing. 160 pp. Hardback quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white text-photos, colour photos endpapers, glossy paper, minimal edgewear, barcode sticker rear endpaper. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. Tmhe author pieces together the operational record of this popular British locomotive, examining its antecedents, the construction and early years on the LMR, and the final decades on the western and southern regions. This detailed and comprehensive volume will be much sought after - to help preserve surviving examples, as well as for those who recall their glory days. ISBN: 0711029717. Our Book No: 21867. $30 AUD.
25. Conlan, Meath; Griffiths, Bede (2006). Bede Griffiths: Friend and Gift of the Spirit. Springfield, IL: Templegate Publishers. 127 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, colour text-photos, minimal edgewear. The author reflects on his 17-year friendship with the late Bede Griffiths, and shares his spiritual journey. The 28 full-colour photos from the author's private collection include public celebrations, interfaith meetings with world religious leaders, plus private moments of contemplation and worship. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 087243270X. Our Book No: 21774. $10 AUD.
26. Corris, Peter (2000). Sweet and Sour: A Diabetic Life. Lismore, NSW: Southern Cross University Press. 163 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good plus condition, minimal edgewear. The Australian crime fiction writer describes his life as a diabetic. In this candid and engaging account, he acknowledges the potentially fatal consequences of his denial and ignorance, and describes how he came to terms with a chronic condition. He dedicates the book to Professor Fred Hollows for lifesaving advice. ISBN: 1875855467. Our Book No: 19125. $20 AUD.
27. Cuvier, Georges; Pietsch, Theodore W. (editor) (1995). Historical Portrait of the Progress of Ichthyology, from its Origins to Our Own Time (1st ed) [Foundations of Natural History]. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press (JHUP). 366 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), tables, figures (including frontispiece), top edge little foxed, owner's sticker, protected by removable archival plastic sleeve. A classic French text, in English translation, that traces the development of the science of the study of fishes (ichthyology). He also outlines a criteria for classification of fishes. (Taken from the first volume of his 22-volume Histoire Naturelle des Poissons.). ISBN: 0801849144. Our Book No: 12953. $45 AUD.
28. Drouart, Michele (2000). Into the Wadi. Perth: Fremantle Arts Centre Press. 376 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, top edge little foxed, minor edgewear & rubbing. The intensely personal story of Australian woman married to a Jordanian man in Jordan. A sensitive, compelling exploration of cultural similarity and difference, of family, exile and belonging and the complexities of human relationships. ISBN: 1863682759. Our Book No: 21771. $10 AUD.
29. Dumbrell, Laurel (editor); Peach, Bill (foreword) (1987). Ink from the Bottlebrush: Writings from Sutherland Shire: The Australian Bicentenary 1988. Sydney, Sutherland: Bicentennial Community Committee / Sutherland Shire Council. 144 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos, map, minimal edgewear. A collection of short stories, poems, articles and pictures. This book offers glimpses into the unique growth of Sutherland Shire, a southern Sydney shire, as seen through the eyes of its writer-residents. Celebrates the Australian bicentenary. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 0959005668. Our Book No: 21838. $12 AUD.
30. Durack, Mary (1996). Keep Him My Country (Reprint ed). London: Corgi Books. 272 pp. Paperback, very good condition, corner tip rear cover creased, top edge minimally foxed, minor edgewear. Australian novel about a young man determined to manage an ailing cattle station in the Northern Territory. The author is from the Irish-Australian family who set up a cattle empire. ISBN: 0733800246. Our Book No: 1662. $10 AUD.
31. Esposito, John L. (1991). Islam: The Straight Path (Expanded p/b ed). New York: Oxford University Press (OUP). 251 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white photos, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. This book introduces the faith, belief, and practice of Islam from its earliest origins up to its contemporary resurgence. The book is suited to use in courses on Islam, comparative religions, and Middle Eastern history and culture. ISBN: 0195074726. Our Book No: 30630. $18 AUD.
32. Falco, Mathea (1992). The Making of a Drug-free America: Programs that Work (1st stated ed). New York: Times Books. 254 pp. Hardback octovo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), reverse side jacket lightly foxed (minor edgewear), edges & few pages lightly foxed, base spine little creased. The author outlines effective prevention, treatment, and law enforcement strategies from across the country to show what really works in the war against drugs. This book offers workable plans of action that are already changing lives and improving communities. ISBN: 0812919572. Our Book No: 30627. $20 AUD.
33. Farrer, Frances (2002). Sir George Trevelyan and the New Spiritual Awakening (1st ed). Edinburgh: Floris Books. 203 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white photos centre spread, minimal edgewear. The first biography of Sir George Trevelyan, a father of the 20th-century movement for spiritual regeneration in Britain. He espoused alternative ideas long before they were generally known. He was an enthusiastic supporter of organic farming and community living. He is known as head of a remarkable post-war experiment in adult education at Attingham College, Shropshire. In 1971, he set up the Welkin Trust to promote spiritual education. ISBN: 0863153771. Our Book No: 21769. $10 AUD.
34. Fitzgerald, Edward (translator); O'Brien, Kathleen (illustrator) (1944). Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. Sydney: Gornall the Publisher / Printed by Harry Coy. 76 pp. Paperback small, good condition, thin card covers (yapp edges), red and black illustration front cover, few sepia (brown-tinted) illustrations, top spine creased, light stain front cover & inside front cover near spine, few light marks rear cover, small edge tears covers, few creases covers & corners, minor edgewear. This edition was published in Sydney by Gornall The Publisher. Edward Fitzgerald, an English poet and scholar in the Persian language has translated the book. The illustrations are by Kathleen O'Brien who was a Sydney artist in the 1930s. Perhaps the only Australian edition (or one of few editions) of this classic well-loved Persian poem. (No date, about 1944.). Our Book No: 40495. $20 AUD.
35. Garner, Lynne (2006). The Complete Book of Papercraft: Over 50 Designs for Handmade Paper, Cards, Gift-wrapping, Decoupage, and Manipulating Paper (1st Australian ed) [Milner Craft Series]. Binda, NSW: Sally Milner Publishing. 158 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, colour drawings (many full-page), black & white templates, glossy paper, few faint scratches rear cover. With a wide range of papermaking techniques and over 50 designs, this book provides all the ideas and inspiration necessary to get started making paper or craft with paper. ISBN: 1863513612. Our Book No: 21619. $18 AUD.
36. Gibbs, May (1995). May Gibbs Counting Book. Sydney: Cornstalk / Angus & Robertson. Unnum 24 pp. Hardback small octavo, not jacket, very good condition, pictorial cover, full-page colour drawings, minor edgewear. Full-page colour illustrations and large numbers make this a delightful learning book for children, based on famous classic Gumnut Babies of May Gibbs. SALE. ISBN: 0207188297. Our Book No: 21601. $10 AUD.
37. Giese, Diana (2009). A Better Place To Live: Making the Top End a New Kind of Community. Perth, Claremont / Adelaide: Freshwater Bay Press / Seaview Press. 117 pp. Paperback wide trade, very good plus condition, black & white photos, minimal edgewear. This book is about the Giese family arriving in Darwin in 1954. Darwin was an outpost, ruined by bombing raids during WW2, in a country that was itself searching for a role in the post-war world. In this portrayal of her family's involvement in the process of reconstruction that led eventually to self-government, the author - daughter of Harry and Nancy, both post-war pioneers - shows how the people of the Top End, of many different backgrounds, created a new kind of community. Assisted by a Northern Territory Archives Service History Grant. Lengthy discussion of indigenous communities. ISBN: 9781740085212. Our Book No: 26532. $40 AUD.
38. Gould, Strom (illustrator); Steam Navigation Company, Peninsular & Oriental (P & O) (1955). Menu Cards Australian Birds Designed by the Artist Strom Gould (11 cards of 12). City Not Stated: Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company (P & O). Each card: 4 pp. Each card: Folded small octavo (14 x 21 cm), very good condition, colour drawing front cover, corner tips some cards little scuffed, card 1 is slightly shorter at the top (presumed as issued, no text missing), minor edgewear. A set of 11 (of 12 in set) menu cards designed by the artist Strom Gould. Card No. 1 Red-Crowned Pigeon & Purple-Crowned Pigeon. Card No 2 Fairy Wrens. Card No. 3 Gouldian Finch. Card No. 4 Pink Cockatoo. Card No. 5 Count Raggi's Bird Of Paradise. Card No. 6 Rainbow Bird. Card No. 7 Regent Bower-Bird. Card No. 8 Scarlet Honey-Eater. Card No. 9 Red-Capped Robin. Card No. 10 Laughing Kookaburra. Card No. 11 Rainbow Lorikeet, Red-Winged Parrakeet, & Green Leek Parrakeet. MISSING: Card No. 12 Kingfisher. The artist also known as Charles Sidebotham Gould was born in Letchworth, England on 2/8/1910, and came to Australia in 1937. He was employed as the Sydney Morning Herald's first art director, and he also drew its first comic strip in 1944. He died in 1992. (No date, but about 1955.). Our Book No: 40503. $250 AUD.
39. Greenwood, Ned (1997). The Sinai: A Physical Geography. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press. 148 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, figures (including black & white photos), tables, tiny bump top spine, minor edgewear. Offers a complete, up-to-date physical geography of the Sinai peninsula, which joins two continents: Africa and Eurasia. Focuses in detail on plate tectonics, geology, geomorphology, weather and climate, soils and biogeography. Considers the human geography of Sinai, including the pressures currently posed by population growth, political extremism, and environmental constraints on development. ISBN: 0292727992. Our Book No: 21646. $10 AUD.
40. Griffiths, Max (1995). Aboriginal Affairs: A Short History (1788 - 1995). Sydney, Kenthurst: Kangaroo Press. 328 pp. Paperback octavo, good plus condition, inside covers & pages toned as usual, minor edgewear. Aboriginal affairs has had a meteoric rise to the top of the Australian political agenda. This book places the current debates into comprehensive historical perspective from the First Fleet to Mabo, during which government policy moved from protection to assimilation, and then to self-determination. Includes policies of the governors and the British Parliament, conflict with pastoralists, missions, welfare legislation in the 1930s, formal recognition of Aborigines in 1948 via the Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1967 referendum, land rights, the Whitlam and Fraser advances, the black bureaucracy, and the Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody. ISBN: 0864177291. Our Book No: 11915. $20 AUD.
41. Halls, Geraldine (1995). The Last Summer of the Men Shortage (A Saucy Novel of War-time Sydnery) (Revised ed). Adelaide, Kent Town: Wakefield Press. 225 pp. Paperback large trade, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), card covers, front cover little creased, minor edgewear jacket, security sticker inside rear cover, cover design differs from stock photo. A novel of war-time Sydney, originally published in 1976, and here revised. Men are hard to come by in the summer of 1945, and those that Dinah does find are stolen by Claudia with appalling regularity. (ISBN on rear cover sticker differs from copyright page. The author also wrote thrillers under the pseudonym Charlotte Jay.). ISBN: 1862543429. Our Book No: 21718. $10 AUD.
42. Henderson, Sara (1995). Outback Wisdom: Sara Henderson Looks at Life (1st ed). Sydney: Pan Macmillan. 78 pp. Hardback very small, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), pages faintly toned as usual, minor edgewear. First edition. Delightful quotations about successful living by the business women who owns a remote Australian farm. Sara Henderson, bestselling author of "From Strength to Strength" and other books, shares the lessons her extraordinary life on Bullo River Station taught her. (This printing has an orange sunset and "Sara Henderson looks at life" on front cover of jacket.). ISBN: 0732908213. Our Book No: 2761. $10 AUD.
43. Hides, J. G.; Rentoul, Alex C. (foreword) (1938). Savages in Serge (1st ed). Sydney: Angus & Robertson. 231 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, good condition, grey cloth covered boards (few tiny spots), black & white photos including frontispiece, edges foxed, light foxing some pages, stain spine & front cover, spine ends little creased, boards little faded, owner's written name & details. The story of the Papuan armed constabulary - the native police who were trained by MacGregor and Murray. Their exploits in arresting headhunters etc., are legendary. The author started to write this fascinating book in the deep forests of the Rentoul River country. He wrote the final chapters while he wandered about headwaters of the Strickland. The many photos illustrate this important story. Our Book No: 40507. $30 AUD.
44. Hilley, John (2001). Malaysia: Mahathirism, Hegemony and the New Opposition [Politics in Contemporary Asia]. London: Zed Books. 305 pp. Paperback large trade, very good plus condition, tables, minimal edgewear. Politics in contemporary Asia. This important book on Malaysian politics offers a profound analysis of the Mahathir government and its projects, including significant ethical problems. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 1856499189. Our Book No: 21770. $10 AUD.
45. Horne, Ross (1980). Health Facts Prove the Pritikin Program (1st ed). Sydney: Ross Horne. 119 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), faint foxing top edge, minor edgewear jacket (front flap bottom corner creased). This book looks at 76 common misconceptions that confuse and mislead health conscious people in their efforts to attain their best potential in health and longevity. He recommends a Pritikin diet. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 0959442316. Our Book No: 17920. $10 AUD.
46. Horrie, Chris; Chippindale, Peter (2001). What is Islam? A Comprehensive Introduction (Reprint ed). London: Virgin Books. 261 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, few maps, spine little creased, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. This book is a comprehensive and factual introduction to Islam. Set out in clearly defined and concise sections, it covers all aspects of the religion ISBN: 0352326360. Our Book No: 30631. $18 AUD.
47. Hughes, Joy; Walker, Meredith (1988). Meroogal, Nowra: A History and a Guide (1st ed). Sydney, Glebe: Historic Houses Trust. 80 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good condition, black & white & colour text-photos, map, glossy paper, minor edgewear & creasing. The history of Meroogal, an early home built at Nowra in the Shoalhaven district, south coast New South Wales (NSW). The home was first occupied in February 1886, and the Historic Houses Trust purchased it from a descendent in 1985. ISBN: 0949753394. Our Book No: 20539. $12 AUD.
48. Husain, Ed (2007). The Islamist: Why I Joined Radical Islam in Britain, What I Saw Inside and Why I Left (Reprint ed). London: Penguin Group. 288 pp. Paperback small trade, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. The author openly discusses life within radical Islamic organizations in Britain. He became an Islamic fundamentalist when he was sixteen. Five years later, after a lot of emotional turmoil, he rejected fundamentalist teachings and returned to a normal life and his family. This is the first time an ex-member openly discusses his story ISBN: 9780141030432. Our Book No: 30628. $18 AUD.
49. Jackson, Holbrook (1939). The Eighteen Nineties: A Review of Art and Ideas at the Close of the Nineteenth Century (1st Pelican ed) [1890s]. Harmondsworth: Pelican Books / Penguin Books. 279 pp. Paperback dustjacket, good plus condition (in good dustjacket), top edge lightly foxed, pages toned as usual, small edge tears & rubbing jacket (notably spine & spine ends), corner jacket front flap creased (not price-clipped), some edgewear, old price marks. Examines the revolutionary changes and events in the art and literary world in Britain at the close of the 19th century. A nice old Pelican with its very own separate cover to add to an existing collection. (Originally published, 1913.) Our Book No: 21733. $10 AUD.
50. Jamie, Kathleen (2002). Among Muslims: Everyday Life on the Frontiers of Pakistan. New York: Seal Press. 250 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, few black & white text-photos, minimal scratching covers, minor edgewear, remainder stripe. The author describes her time spent with the people inhabiting the remote and volatile northern areas of Pakistan (of current interest as a supposed hiding place for Islamic terrorists). As Jamie discusses arranged marriage, divorce, children, education, travel, and attitudes toward freedom and risk with the locals of the area, she gives a compelling and lively portrait of their lives and offers insights for everyone seeking to better understand this remote and critical part of the world. ISBN: 1580050867. Our Book No: 21651. $10 AUD.
51. Jeans, Sir James (1939). The Stars in Their Courses. Harmondsworth: Pelican Books / Penguin Books. 208 pp. Paperback small, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white text-photos centre spread, figures, appendices, traditional blue cover, minor foxing & small stain jacket (flap unclipped, small edge tears), pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. The respected British academic astronomer presents a lucid popular introduction to modern astronomy and the wonder of the universe as seen through the giant telescopes of today. Our Book No: 12558. $10 AUD.
52. Jolliffe, Eric (1960). Saltbush Bill: Australian Fun on the Farm [A Pix Series]. Sydney: Sungravure Pty Ltd. Unnum 180 pp. Paperback oblong quarto, fair condition only (reading copy), stapled (hidden), full-page black & white cartoons, covers & some pages lightly foxed, pages toned, stains top corners few pages (little wrinkling), spine edges rubbed, corners creased, some edgewear. Follow the daily adventures of Saltbush Bill and his family in another Jolliffe fun-filled cartoon booklet. (No date, but an early Jolliffe, 1950s or 1960s.). Our Book No: 40502. $50 AUD.
53. Jolliffe, Eric (1965). Saltbush Bill: Cartoon Fun on the Farm, no. 21 [A Pix Series]. Sydney: Sungravure Pty Ltd. Unnum 40 pp. Paperback oblong quarto, fair condition only (reading copy), stapled (rusted), full-page black & white cartoons, masking tape cover join to first staple, covers lightly foxed, pages toned, small hole front cover, few tiny stains top corners few pages, light foxing some pages, spine worn, some edgewear. Follow the daily adventures of Saltbush Bill and his family in another Jolliffe fun-filled cartoon booklet. (No date, but scarce early Jolliffe, 1960s.). Our Book No: 40500. $20 AUD.
54. Jolliffe, Eric (1965). Saltbush Bill Cartoon Fun on the Farm, no. 29 [A Pix Series]. Sydney: Sungravure Pty Ltd. Unnum 40 pp. Paperback oblong quarto, fair condition only (reading copy), stapled (rusted), full-page black & white cartoons, masking tape binding covers to spine, covers lightly foxed, pages toned, covers rubbed & faded, small piece missing top & bottom corner front cover, some edge tears, light foxing some pages, spine worn, some edgewear. Follow the daily adventures of Saltbush Bill and his family in another Jolliffe fun-filled cartoon booklet. (No date, but scarce early Jolliffe, 1960s.). Our Book No: 40501. $25 AUD.
55. Kartinyeri, Doris; O'Donoghue, Lowitja (foreword) (2000). Kick the Tin (1st ed). North Melbourne: Spinifex Press. 140 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, few black & white text-photos, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. A compelling and witty story of a courageous journey into the soul of the individual to find meaning and substance after the loss of everything the rest of us take for granted. The author was taken from hospital after her mother died and placed in the Colebrook Home (Adelaide), where she remained for the next 14 years. The legacy of being a member of the Stolen Generations continued for Doris as she was placed in white homes as a virtual slave, struggled through relationships and suffered with bipolar depression. 'Kick the Tin' was a game she played in the Colebrook Home. ISBN: 1875559957. Our Book No: 24740. $10 AUD.
56. Keene, Carolyn (2003). The Hidden Window Mystery (Reprint ed) [Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #34]. New York: Grosset & Dunlap. 179 pp. Hardback small octavo, very good condition, pictorial cover, few full-page black & white drawings, frontispiece, pages little toned, printed on recycled paper. Nancy has to find a missing medieval stained-glass window. Nancy is joined in Charlottesville, Virginia, by her friends George and Bess. An adversary tries to get them to postpone their trip, but they are determined to go ahead with their plans. The girls investigate old southern mansions, encounter a ghost, and in true Nancy style solve these mysteries which will keep readers involved to the end. (No 34 in this series.). ISBN: 0448095343. Our Book No: 30635. $15 AUD.
57. Kellehear, Allan (1996). Experiences Near Death: Beyond Medicine and Religion. New York: Oxford University Press (OUP). 230 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), papered board cover (cloth spine), minor foxing edges & top edge reverse side jacket, minor edgewear jacket. A new approach to studying near-death experiences (NDEs), by Australian sociology academic. Examines the specific cultures from which they arise, helping us to understand what these visions are as a cultural and psychological response and why they occur. Compares these experiences from India, China, Guam, America, Australia, and New Zealand. ISBN: 0195091949. Our Book No: 2954. $20 AUD.
58. Kelly, Paul (2014). Triumph and Demise: The Broken Promise of a Labor Generation (Revised ed). Melbourne: Melbourne University Press (MUP). 560 pp. Paperback thick octavo, very good plus condition, minimal edgewear. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. Drawing on more than 60 interviews with all the major players, a senior journalist from "The Australian" provides an inside account of the hopes, achievements and bitter failures of the Labor Government from 2007 to 2013. Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard came together to defeat John Howard, formed a brilliant partnership and raised the hopes of the nation. Yet they fell into tension and then hostility. The full story of Julia Gillard's tragedy as our first female prime minister - her character, Rudd's destabilisation, the carbon tax saga, and how Gillard was finally pulled down on the eve of the 2013 election by Tony Abbott. Also about the rise of Tony Abbott, and his success in defeating Rudd in 2013. ISBN: 9780522867817. Our Book No: 17878. $25 AUD.
59. Khattab, Huda (1999). The Muslim Woman's Hand Book (Reprint ed) [Hand Book]. London: Ta-Ha Publishers. 70 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, front cover little creased along spine, spine slightly faded, minor edgewear. This book is a practical guide to daily life as a Muslim woman in a non-Muslim society (specifically, Britain). This book is a result of the author's personal experience and observations of the things a Muslim woman needs to know about. ISBN: 1897940009. Our Book No: 23874. $12 AUD.
60. Leader, The; Viola, foreword (1935). The Leader Spare Corner Book Parts 7, 8, 9: A Unique Collection of Home and Household Hints and Kitchen Recipes (3 books in 1 (Reissue ed). Melbourne: Quintin Thomas Bone for David Syme & Co. at The Age. 32 pp. Paperback trade, card covers, black cloth spine, good condition, black & white adverts, covers marked, few stains (cooking?) on covers , first two pages little marked, bottom corners of some pages creased, bottom corner front cover creased, top corner rear cover creased, few old silverfish nibbles on covers, few marks inside covers, edges lightly foxed, edges & pages lightly toned. This book contains recipes and hints sent in by readers of The Spare Corner of The Leader (a Melbourne suburban newspaper). The books became so popular that it was decided to republish all three books in one volume, which makes this the fourth book to be published with the hints and recipes that had been in separate books Our Book No: 40504. $60 AUD.
61. Legrain, Philippe (2006). Immigrants: Your Country Needs Them. London: Little, Brown. 374 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, pages lightly toned, few tiny ridges spine (binding error), minor edgewear. The author combines first-hand reporting from around the world, incisive socioeconomic analysis and a broad understanding of the importance of immigration. The diversity of immigrants enriches their new country of settlement. ISBN: 9780316732482. Our Book No: 30624. $18 AUD.
62. Leiter, Michael P.; Maslach, Christina (2005). Banishing Burnout: Six Strategies for Improving Your Relationship with Work (1st ed). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. 193 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black boards (gilt title spine), tables, pages lightly toned, minimal edgewear. Christina Maslach was first to identify burnout, and is known for her Burnout Inventory. Today's workforce is experiencing job burnout in epidemic proportions. Workers at all levels, both white and blue-collar, feel stressed out, insecure, misunderstood, undervalued, and alienated at their workplace. This original and important book debunks the common myth that when workers suffer job burnout they are solely responsible for their fatigue, anger, and don't give a damn attitude. The authors give their proven action plan, which shows how to establish core values, set a personal direction, engage other people, initiate a real plan of action, make an impact, and achieve career goals. There are illustrative case examples from many organizations. ISBN: 0787976083. Our Book No: 30623. $30 AUD.
63. Malouf, David (1999). Fly Away Peter (Reprint ed). Sydney: Vintage / Random House. 134 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, pages lightly toned, minimal edgewear. Australian novel about three very different people brought together on the Queensland coast by their love of birds. Both sanctuary owner and employee are drawn to the war and the horrors of the trenches of Armentieres. ISBN: 0099273829. Our Book No: 4594. $10 AUD.
64. Mann, Thomas E.; Ornstein, Norman J. (2013). It's Even Worse Than It Looks (Was): How the American Constitutional System Collided with the New Politics of Extremism (1st p/b (revised & expanded) ed). New York: Basic Books. 247 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, top corner tip front cover creased, few scuffs spine edges, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. Presents a grim picture of how party polarization and tribal politics have led Congress and the United States close to becoming an institutional failure. In this revised edition, the authors bring their seminal book up-to-date in a political environment that is more divided than ever. ISBN: 9780465096206. Our Book No: 30620. $18 AUD.
65. Milligan, Louise; Keneally, Tom (foreword) (2019). Cardinal: The Rise and Fall of George Pell: New Revelations (Updated, reprint ed). Melbourne: Melbourne University Press (MUP). 402 pp. Paperback thick octavo, very good condition, front hinge minimally split (pages firm), few tiny creases front cover, minor edgewear. Updated edition. Leading Australian journalist puts together years of disturbing activities highlighting Cardinal George Pell's alleged actions and cover-ups regarding abuse in the Catholic Church. A testament to the most revealing stories of the complainants. Winner Walkley Book Award, Melbourne Prize for Literature 2018, Civic Choice Award 2018. ISBN: 9780522875997. Our Book No: 30636. $26 AUD.
66. Montgomery, L. M. (1994). Anne of Green Gables. London: Wordsworth. 280 pp. Paperback small, very good condition, pages faintly toned, minimal edgewear, cover design differs from stock photo. A Wordsworth Classic Edition of this wonderful story for young adults. ISBN: 1853261394. Our Book No: 21620. $10 AUD.
67. Morse, Melvin; Perry, Paul (with) (1992). Transformed by the Light: The Powerful Effect of Near-death Experiences on People's Lives (Reprint ed). New York: Willard Books. 247 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), cloth spine, jacket spine little faded (minor edgewear), edges lightly foxed, bottom corner front cover bumped, pages lightly toned. Examines the changes that happen to those that have had near-death experiences (NDEs). Based on the results of the largest study ever done of people who have had NDEs, this study focused on more than 400 subjects from all walks of life - housepersons, secretaries, lawyers, doctors, salespeople. They all had NDEs as children. The book is Inspirational, scientific, and compassionate. Written by a paediatrician and an acknowledged leader in this field of research, with a science writer. ISBN: 0679404430. Our Book No: 40512. $25 AUD.
68. Morse, Melvin; Perry, Paul (with); Moody, Raymond (foreword) (1992). Closer to the Light: Learning from the Near-death Experiences of Children (1st this ed). New York: Bantam. 236 pp. Paperback small trade, good condition, pages lightly toned, small mark bottom edge, minimal foxing & faint texta mark top edge, few tiny scuffs spine edges, light foxing inside covers & few pages, minor edgewear. The author asks whether children have different near-death experiences (NDEs) from those of adults. Is a particular area of the brain involved or genetically coded? Written by a paediatrician and an acknowledged leader in this field of research. ISBN: 0553404490. Our Book No: 40511. $18 AUD.
69. Naranjo, Claudio (1990). How to Be: Meditation in Spirit and Practice (1st stated ed). Los Angeles: Jeremy P. Tarcher. 169 pp. Paperback trade, good condition, corner tips front cover creased (tiny dent & crease top edge), edges lightly foxed, inside covers & pages lightly toned, light foxing flyleaves & title page, minor edgewear. This book puts sacred thought within the framework of modern psychology, clarifying ancient wisdom for the contemporary person and meditator. The author discusses the four types of meditation (not-doing, letting-go, mindfulness, and God-mindedness). Includes an essay published in the out-of-print classic On the Psychology of Meditation and features important, previously unpublished material detailing new research and thought, including essays on the relationship between meditation and psychotherapy, and the role of music as an aid to meditation and healing. ISBN: 0874775485. Our Book No: 30638. $18 AUD.
70. Nel, Philip (2005). Dr. Seuss: American Icon. New York: Continuum. 301 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, minor edgewear, sticker mark rear cover. A biography and evaluation one of the most influential authors and artists of the 20th century: Theodor Seuss Geisel, best known as Dr. Seuss. The author looks at his poetry, politics, art, marketing, and place in the popular imagination. A wonderful book for everyone who knows and loves his wonderful children's stories. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 0826417086. Our Book No: 21753. $15 AUD.
71. Odgers, Sally; Stewart, Lisa (illustrator) (2014). Bushland Lullaby (Reprint ed). Sydney: Scholastic Press. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback small square quarto, stapled, very good plus condition, full-page watercolour drawings. Australian children's picture story about the baby animals sleeping in ther bush. A beautiful bedtime story. The rhyming text and delightful drawings will appeal to any age. ISBN: 9781743623091. Our Book No: 40513. $15 AUD.
72. Odgers, Sally; Stewart, Lisa (illustrator) (2016). Rainforest Lullaby (Reprint ed). Sydney: Scholastic Press. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback small square quarto, stapled, very good plus condition, full-page watercolour drawings. Australian children's picture story about the animals and birds sleeping in the Australian rainforest. A beautiful bedtime story. The rhyming text and delightful drawings will appeal to any age. ISBN: 9781760277284. Our Book No: 40515. $15 AUD.
73. Odgers, Sally; Stewart, Lisa (illustrator) (2017). Outback Lullaby (Reprint ed). Sydney: Scholastic Press. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback small square quarto, stapled, very good plus condition, full-page watercolour drawings. Australian children's picture story about the baby animals sleeping in the Australian bushland. A beautiful bedtime story. The rhyming text and delightful drawings will appeal to any age. ISBN: 9781742767468. Our Book No: 40516. $15 AUD.
74. Odgers, Sally; Stewart, Lisa (illustrator) (2018). Ocean Lullaby (1st ed). Sydney: Scholastic Press. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback small square quarto, stapled, very good plus condition, full-page watercolour drawings. Australian children's picture story about the baby undersea creatures. A beautiful bedtime story. The rhyming text and delightful drawings will appeal to any age. ISBN: 9781760660574. Our Book No: 40514. $15 AUD.
75. Osborn, Mrs A. R.; Rentoul Outhwaite, Ida (illustrator) (1918). Fuzzy, Wuzzy, and Buzzy (The Willie Winkie Zoo Books) (1st ed) [Whitcombe's Story Books]. Melbourne: Whitcombe & Tombs. 44 pp. Paperback small (180mm x 130mm), good condition, six full-page monochrome plates includes frontispiece, colour plate laid down on front cover, dark blue covers, black & white drawings, pages & inside covers lightly toned, crease in front cover, few tiny dents along spine, spine ends little rubbed, small mark free flyleaf, minor edgewear. This is the children's story of three Tasmanian devils named Fuzzy, Wuzzy, and Buzzy who managed to get into trouble despite the care that their mother and Willie Winkie took to keep an eye on them. (First edition. Scarce Ida Rentoul Outhwaite title. No 314 in this series for children of ages 8 to 9 years. Printed by Speciality Press, Melbourne. Adverts: Willie Winkie zoo (p2), Almost human (rear cover). See McLaren bibliography.). Our Book No: 40498. $195 AUD.
76. Pang, Keum Young Chung (2000). Virtuous Transcendence: Holistic Self-cultivation and Self-healing in Elderly Korean Immigrants. New York: Haworth Press. 229 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, bottom edge slightly marked, minor edgewear. This book is about the concept that Koreans have developed ways of turning depression into "sweet sorrow" to be able to live with it as a transcending experience instead of abhorring it. This book has first-person accounts of the experiences of elderly Korean immigrants in both Korea and America - their life patterns, values, beliefs, attitudes, and personalities. Their personal stories are rich and vivid about everyday life, illness, and self-care, and clarifying mind-body relationships that have not been clear until now despite decades of study. ISBN: 0789009293. Our Book No: 40508. $120 AUD.
77. Phillips, Jenny; National Trust, diary; Cunningham, Elizabeth (foreword) (2009). Australian Botanical Artists National Trust Desk Diary 2009 (1st ed). Melbourne: Women's Committee of the National Trust of Australia (Victoria). Unnum pp. Paperback oblong (15 X 21cm), very good condition, spiral bound, card pages, full-page colour paintings, small part top edge laminate lifted, minor edgewear corner tips. This beautiful diary (Jenny Phillips, artist & editor) features the work of the Botanical Art School of Melbourne. This is the fourth collection of images from the school. The flowers are painted from the garden of Government House. The art work in this very special diary would be of interest to anyone who likes botanical art. ISBN: 9781876473679. Our Book No: 40518. $25 AUD.
78. Pilkington, Doris; Garimara, Nugi (2004). Follow the Rabbit-proof Fence (A True Story) (Reprint ed). Brisbane, St Lucia: University of Queensland Press (UQP). 136 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, map, pages faintly toned, minimal edgewear. True story of three Aboriginal girls who escape from a government settlement to seek out their homeland. Based on the story of the author's mother, aunt and their friend, who escaped from the Moore River Settlement in 1931 and travelled 2400 kilometres along the rabbit-proof fence. Now a major film by Phillip Noyce. ISBN: 0702233552. Our Book No: 15837. $10 AUD.
79. Pittock, Barrie A. (2005). Climate Change: Turning Up the Heat. Melbourne: CSIRO Publishing. 316 pp. Paperback large wide octavo, very good condition, figures, tables, minimal edgewear, corners front cover slightly creased. This book outlines the current concerns of the major international players, and reviews the inconsistent response to date, detailing national interests. It shows there is real hope of managing climate change and minimising the risk of disaster if efforts are set up to develop and use innovative technological and policy solutions. The author is one of the world's leading climate researchers. ISBN: 0643069343. Our Book No: 30639. $30 AUD.
80. Platt, James (2003). East of Varley Head: Stories from Port Isaac, North Cornwall, 1944 - 1950. London: Creighton Books / Lightning Source. 257 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos, minor edgewear, possible autograph (written dedication). The author describes his life in a small Cornwall village. The book is a tribute to the village and their daily lives, warm in the support of the constant sea, fields, woods and valleys, written with wry humour and affection. SALE PRICE. (A printed POD copy. Written autograph hard to decipher.) ISBN: 0980780812. Our Book No: 21763. $10 AUD.
81. Rees, Leslie; Senior, Margaret (illustrator) (1967). The Story of Koonawarra the Black Swan. Sydney: John Sands. 42 pp. Hardback wide octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), pictorial cover, colour drawings (many full-page), minor edgewear jacket (closed tear top edge rear cover, light foxing reverse side, few tiny specks, tiny light stain top edge, light foxing flaps), light foxing endpapers, edges lightly foxed & toned, non-author written & dated dedication flyleaf A delightful children's picture story about a black swan and how it came to be named. Western Australia has taken the black swan as its crest and symbol, but it us found in the wild all over temperate Australia including Tasmania. The name Koonawarra is Aboriginal for black swan. Suitable for older children, the text is long, but the beautiful illustrations help to tell this fascinating story. (Estimated date, about 1950s, 1960s, Trove. This edition has decimal currency price on flap, and a written dedication, Christmas 1968. ). Our Book No: 30632. $30 AUD.
82. Rees, Leslie; Senior, Margaret (illustrator) (1967). Two-thumbs: The Story of a Koala. Sydney: John Sands. 43 pp. Hardback small quarto, dustjacket, good condition, good condition (in good dustjacket), pictorial cover, full-page colour drawings, illustrated endpapers, spine ends bumped, minimal foxing few pages, light foxing & toning reverse side jacket (tiny scuff near spine, minor edgewear, spine ends lightly scuffed, light foxing flaps), few tiny dents bottom edge. A wonderful classic children's picture story about Australia's favourite native animal, and how important it is that koalas are cared for. Two-Thumbs has opposable fingers so he can secure a better grip on his high gum-tree branches, thus making up for the curious lack of a proper tail. (No date, about 1967. Decimal price suggests later than 1966.). Our Book No: 30633. $18 AUD.
83. Reid, Janice (1983). Sorcerers and Healing Spirits: Continuity and Change in an Aboriginal Medical System. Canberra: Australian National University Press (ANU Press). 183 pp. Paperback large trade, good condition, stiffened cover, few black & white text-photos, maps, stains bottom corner first several pages (covered by stickers), top edge little foxed, minor edgewear, owner's written name title page. A study of indigenous healing systems at Yirrkala, an Aboriginal community of Yolngu people in Arnhem Land, based on fieldwork for a doctoral thesis during 1974-75 with later followup until 1981. Demonstrates how indigenous medical systems persist but also change under the influence of Western medical models. ISBN: 0708117686. Our Book No: 4414. $20 AUD.
84. Richards, Kel (2015). The Story of Australian English (1st ed). Sydney: NewSouth Publishing. 292 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. This story tells of the birth, rise and progress of the colourful dingo lingo that is known today as Aussie English. ISBN: 9781742232317. Our Book No: 30625. $25 AUD.
85. Rubin, Barry (2002). The Tragedy of the Middle East (1st ed). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (CUP). 287 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, slight bump top spine, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. This book tries to explain why the Middle East is different from other parts of the world. The author has given a comprehensive analysis of the region's issues and why they remain unresolved. ISBN: 0521603870. Our Book No: 30629. $25 AUD.
86. Ryle, Gerard (2009). Firepower: The Most Spectacular Fraud in Australian History. Sydney: Allen & Unwin. 274 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. An examination of the Australian sporting sponsor company Firepower, which engaged in massive fraud. ISBN: 9781741753554. Our Book No: 24137. $15 AUD.
87. Saville, Heather (2009). Friends in Deed: 50 Years of Quaker Service Australia. Sydney: Quakers Australia / Heather Saville. 337 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos, top corner front cover creased, minor edgewear. The inspiring and deeply human story of a small group of people who wanted to help change the world, one step at a time. A few Australian Quakers (Society of Friends) began a 50-year journey to build a respected international aid organisation known today as Quaker Service Australia. ISBN: 9780980325836. Our Book No: 24900. $25 AUD.
88. Schreiber, Flora Rheta (1974). Sybil: The True Story of a Woman Possessed by Sixteen Separate Personalities (Reprint ed). London: Penguin Books. 425 pp. Paperback small trade, good condition, top corner front cover creased, crease bottom edge front cover, spine little creased, pages lightly toned, owner's rubber stamp, cover design differs from stock photo. A case study in multiple personality by a well-known American science writer. ISBN: 0140040315. Our Book No: 30622. $10 AUD.
89. Seligman, Martin E. P.; Kidman, Dr Antony (foreword); Reivich, Karen (with); Jaycox, Lisa (with); Gillham, Jane (with) (1995). The Optimistic Child (A Revolutionary Approach to Raising Resilient Children) (1st Australian, reprint ed). Sydney: Random House. 336 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minor edgewear. The respected American cognitive psychologist, the author of Learned Optimism, aims to teach parents how to instil in children a sense of optimism and personal mastery (positive emotions). He proposes that improved self-esteem comes from mastering challenges, overcoming frustration, and experiencing individual achievement. Based on research at the Penn Depression Prevention Project, which shows the high depression rates in children can be cut by half by encouraging optimism. ISBN: 0091831199. Our Book No: 10936. $16 AUD.
90. Sieff, Jarrell (2002). A Practical Guide to Living in Japan: Everything You Need To Know to Successfully Settle In (Reprint ed). Berkeley, CA: Stone Bridge Press. 220 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good condition, frontispicee map, diagrams, top corner front cover creased, corner tips covers little scuffed, minor edgewear. This book will help you settle in Japan for the next year, or fifty years. There are facts on banking, immigration, and insurance, plus daily-life tips on how to find and rent an apartment, utilities, transportation, buying a car and shopping for furniture, studying Japanese, customs and etiquette. A great book for students, business persons, and anyone wanting to live in Japan. ISBN: 1880656507. Our Book No: 30619. $20 AUD.
91. Sobosan, Jeffrey G. (1991). Bless the Beasts: A Spirituality of Animal Care. New York: Crossroad Publishing. 144 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, few tiny scratches covers, minor edgewear. The author, a professor and priest, has written a wonderful warm caring book about his love of animals and his own understanding of Christianity. This is a beautiful book for anyone interested in animals and spirituality. ISBN: 0824511352. Our Book No: 21755. $10 AUD.
92. Stevenson, Leslie; Byerly, Henry (1995). The Many Faces of Science: An Introduction to Scientists, Values, and Society (1st ed). Boulder: Westview Press. 257 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, minimal edgewear, remainder stripe. Provides the basic information and the philosophical reflection students need to gain an understanding of the development of modern science. Brief, accessible, and rich in anecdotes, personal asides, and keen insight, this book is the ideal introduction for non-scientists in courses on science studies, science and society, and science and human values. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 0813320178. Our Book No: 8644. $10 AUD.
93. Styron, William (1992). Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness (Reprint ed). London: Picador. 84 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear, remainder stripe. The novelist William Styron describes his descent into depression. This memoir is a bold and ultimately uplifting exploration of depression's dark reality. ISBN: 0330317539. Our Book No: 4261. $10 AUD.
94. Tahtinen, Unto (1976). Ahimsa: Non-violence in Indian Tradition (1st ed). London: Rider and Company. 147 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), some edgewear jacket (few small closed tears, two small pieces missing top edge, crease front flap, white background lightly marked, light foxing edges), top edge lightly foxed. This book explains the meaning of ahimsa or non-violence. Compares, for the first time, the different meanings of ahimsa in Jainism, Buddhism, and Vedism. The book also contains sections on himsa or violence, including violence against against oneself and causes of violence. Some other moral norms are discussed, such as self-control, truthfulness, forbearance, friendliness, compassion and non-stealing. There are specific chapters devoted to ahimsa in relation to war and crime, and ahimsa as exemplified by Mahatma Gandi and Vinoba Bhave. ISBN: 0091233402. Our Book No: 30637. $25 AUD.
95. Tempo, Trading Cards (1995). Tempo May Gibbs Collector Cards (110 cards). Melbourne, Moonee Ponds: Tempo Trading Cards Pty Ltd. n/a pp. Each Card: Small (9 x 6 cm), colour drawings & text. In plastic envelopes of 9 cards each, Plus colour brochure cover sheet. All very good plus condition. A scarce series of 110 collectors cards drawn from illustrations and stories from the extensive range of published work of May Gibbs including: Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, Little Ragged Blossom, Little Obelia, and Nuttybub and Nittersing. Includes nine puzzle cards, which when joined together, make up a scene featuring "Residents from Gumnut Town". Four cards featuring Wattle Babies, Flannel Flowers, Boronia Babies and Gumnut Babies. Seven cards featuring an early Bib and Bub comic strip which May Gibbs produced at the rate of one a week for over forty years. A three card series profiling May Gibbs the artist and writer. Our Book No: 40506. $250 AUD.
96. Thrangu, Khenchen (2004). An Ocean of the Ultimate Meaning: Teachings on Mahamudra: A Commentary on Wangchuck Dorje's Ngedon Gyamtso. Boston: Shambhala. 206 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minimal edgewear. The author is the abbot of Gampo Abbey in Nova Scotia, Canada. He provides an exhaustive commentary on the longest and most comprehensive of the three classic treatises on Mahamudra composed by the 16th-century scholar Wangchuk Dorje, the ninth Karmapa. ISBN: 1590300556. Our Book No: 21786. $10 AUD.
97. Tillyard, E. M. W. (1962). Myth and the English Mind: From Piers Plowman to Edward Gibbon: Being the Clark Lectures 1959 - 60 (1st Collier ed). New York: Collier Books. 126 pp. Paperback small, very good condition, spine slightly faded, light foxing edges, pages lightly toned, spine ends slightly rubbed, cover design differs from stock photo. A study of epic myths that pervade English literature. In this unusual treatment of the subject, the author deals with English literature exemplifying such myths, and has selected his four principal examples from the period of the Middle Ages up to the 18th century. The author's main aim is to broaden our understanding of English literature and the English mentality. Originally published as: Some Mythical Elements in English Literature. ISBN: 0713151722. Our Book No: 40505. $15 AUD.
98. Voigt, Johannes H. (editor); Fletcher, John (assisted); Moses, John A. (assisted) (1983). New Beginnings: The Germans in New South Wales and Queensland (Neuanfange Deutshe in New South Wales und Queensland) [Studies in International Cultural Relations]. Stuttgart, Germany: Institute for Foreign Cultural Relations. 290 pp. Paperback small quarto, good condition, black & white text-photos (few full-page photos), corner tips few pages lightly creased, small mark fore-edge, spine & top edge covers faded, top corner front cover creased, front and rear hinges slightly split (pages firm), spine & free flyleaf little creased, minor edgewear. This book is about the assimilation of Germans into New South Wales and Queensland. Some of the chapters are: The centenarians - 100 years of Concordia Club - Immigration, assimilation, and pioneers - Religious, cultural, and scientific relations. Includes a section at the rear on early German connexions with natural history, geology, and mining in New South Wales and Queensland. (Volume 20 in this series. English text, parallel German translation.). Our Book No: 30621. $20 AUD.
99. Weiss, John (1997). Ideology of Death: Why the Holocaust Happened in Germany Chicago: Ivan R. Dee. 427 pp. Paperback octavo, good condition, cover & few pages corner tips little creased, edges lightly foxed, front cover & first few pages little creased, minor edgewear, old price marks free flyleaf. Examines the unique nature of German history as well as the culture of racism and anti-Semitism that developed among powerful elites and ordinary Germans. He explains how and why this explosive mix nurtured the Nazis and produced the Holocaust. ISBN: 1566631742. Our Book No: 30626. $22 AUD.
100. Westfield, Mark (2003). HIH: The Inside Story of Australia's Biggest Corporate Collapse. Brisbane, Milton: John Wiley. 242 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear & rubbing. When the Sydney-based mega-insurance group HIH collapsed in March 2001 posting losses of $5.3 billion, the Australian business community literally came to a standstill. Overnight, many insurance quotes were priced out of reach, and many medicos, child care centres and sports clubs had to close. Mark Whitfield, a journalist with the Australian newspaper, exposes a shocking tale of corporate greed. The story of Ray Williams, the secretive, arrogant CEO who almost caused the collapse of Australia's reinsurance industry. ISBN: 1740310640. Our Book No: 15297. $30 AUD.
101. Wilber, Ken (editor) (1984). Quantum Questions: Mystical Writings of the World's Great Physicists (Reprint ed). Boston: New Science Library (NSL) / Shambhala. 209 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear. The surprising writings of the major physicists - Einstein, Heisenberg, Schroedinger, de Broglie, Jeans, Planck, Pauli and Eddington - in support of a spiritual or mystical basis of life. Includes all the major physicists who founded quantum mechanics. Collected and analysed by scientist Ken Wilber, who is in the forefront of new thinking in the discipline of transpersonal psychology. ISBN: 0394723384. Our Book No: 16831. $12 AUD.
102. Wilkie, Andrew (2004). Axis of Deceit: The Story of the Intelligence Officer who Risked All to Tell the Truth about WMD and Iraq (1st ed). Melbourne: Black Inc. Agenda. 200 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear, thick remainder stripe. The autobiography of a whistleblower whose act of conscience won him the respect of many fellow citizens but put him on a collision course with the Australian government. A rare glimpse into the world of international intelligence. ISBN: 0975076922. Our Book No: 23166. $12 AUD.
103. Wilson, Ian (1991). The Bleeding Mind: An Investigation into the Mysterious Phenomenon of Stigmata (1st p/b ed). London: Paladin. 164 pp. Paperback trade, good plus condition, black & white photos centre spread, pages toned as usual, bottom corner creased front cover, some edgewear (notably top spine). Examines the mysterious phenomenon called stigmata: marks appearing on the human body supposedly resembling the wounds of the crucified Christ. ISBN: 0586090142. Our Book No: 9581. $10 AUD.
104. Winser, Keith (1958). Australian Pruning Manual: Now with Garden Pest Control (6th ed). Melbourne, Prahran: Keith Winser / Printed by Hall's Bookstore. 114 pp. Paperback trade, good condition, pictorial stiffened card covers, stapled (little rusted), black & white drawings & text-photos, adverts inside rear cover & last page, pages toned, top corner tip front cover missing, minor edgewear, rubber stamp title page, two sheets loosely inserted (one little burnt & torn). Sixth edition. This book describes the best pruning methods that will enhance the future growth of plants. There is a chapter on Pruning Espaliers by Alan Edmunds. Loosely inserted: A small single sheet on Rogor 40 by George Warner, and a single sheet on Gall Wasp by N.S.W Department of Agriculture. A wonderful old book full of character and useful tips. An ideal book for the gardening book collector. (Rubber stamp: Anthony Horderns famous for books.). Our Book No: 40517. $28 AUD.
105. Wong, Eva (1997). Harmonizing Yin and Yang: The Dragon-tiger Classic. Boston: Shambhala. 146 pp. Paperback large trade, very good condition, figures, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear, old price marks. A manual of Taoist yoga: internal, external, and sexual. A translation of a concise Taoist alchemical manual known as the Dragon-Tiger Classic, along with its two most important commentaries by traditional Chinese authors. Translated & introduced by Wong. This classic, written in ancient times by an unknown author and published during the 15th century BCE, is regarded by contemporary Taoist practitioners as the most complete guide to spiritual transformation ISBN: 1570623066. Our Book No: 21661. $10 AUD.
106. Yarwood, A. T. (1994). From a Chair in the Sun: The Life of Ethel Turner. Melbourne: Viking / Penguin Books. 392 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good jacket), black & white photos, pages lightly toned as usual, minor edgewear, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. Biography of the Australian children's and young adults author who wrote the classic "Seven Little Australians". This fascinating portrayal reveals a woman who wanted love in a family and fame as a writer and achieved both. ISBN: 0670837172. Our Book No: 19375. $20 AUD.
107. Zvelebil, Kamil V. (1973). The Poets of the Powers (1st ed). London: Rider & Company. 144 pp. Paperback trade, good condition, two black & white plates includes frontispiece, light foxing reverse side frontispiece & first two pages & inside covers, pages lightly toned, few STAINS corners some pages, minor edgewear. First edition. The first part contains an introduction to Siddha doctrines, dealing with their medicine, alchemy, Yoga and the magic powers. In the second part of the book there is Siddha poetry which will interest anyone who has a liking for such poets or mystics such as St John of the Cross, John Donne and Gerard Manley Hopkins. (The scarce first edition.). ISBN: 0091159016. Our Book No: 40509. $28 AUD.