INTERNET BOOKSHOP: SELLING BOOKS SINCE 1998
ORDER 2 OR MORE BOOKS: RECEIVE 20% DISCOUNT !!
PO Box 176, Annandale NSW 2038, Australia.
Phone: (02) 9550-1258 (late afternoon or message).
(Located in Australia):
BOOKS FOR SALE: RECENT ACQUISITIONS MAY 2017
Check this on our online database, updated weekly !!
All books are in stock (except for a few recent sales). Plus postage at cost.
We offer 20% discount for orders of 2 or more books.
1. Barnard, Marjorie; Annand, Douglas (drawings) (1949). Australian Outline (2nd, revised ed) [Ure Smith Miniature Series]. Sydney: Ure Smith. 40 + 16 pp. Hardback small, no jacket, good condition, black & white drawings & plates, few dents along cover fore-edges, faint foxing covers & endpapers & edges, light foxing few pages & plates, rear cover little marked, spine ends lightly rubbed, minor edgewear. This small book is about the early history of Australia. The author has written about the thoughts of the early settlers and the book looks at the arrival of a small group of workers and officers from the Supply, at Sydney Cove on 26th January, 1788. The drawings help to bring the story to life. (16 pages of plates at rear.). Our Book No: 29191. $18 AUD.
2. Beaumont, Joan (editor); Martinuzzi O'Brien, Ilma (editor); Trinca, Mathew (editor) (2008). Under Suspicion: Citizenship and Internment in Australia During the Second World War (1st ed). Canberra: National Museum of Australia. 170 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, minor edgewear. These essays look at some of the stories about the thousands of Australian residents, mostly of German, Italian or Japanese background, interned by the Australian Government during the Second World War, because they were considered a security risk. ISBN: 9781876944605. Our Book No: 29150. $18 AUD.
3. Birnberg, Margo (2012). What is Aboriginal Art? (Reprint ed). Marleston, SA: J. B. Publishing. 36 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good condition, colour text-photos, bottom corner front cover lightly creased, minor edgewear. This booklet looks at Aboriginal art from the rock painting of ancient times to modern art. Some of the areas covered are: The Dreaming, important ceremonial sites, language of art, different forms of art, artifacts from different regions, map of Australia with tribal areas of the Central Desert & Western Desert & Kimberley area, urban art, the future, and The Dreamtime today. ISBN: 1876622660. Our Book No: 29187. $14 AUD.
4. Blashki, Grant (editor); Sykes, Helen (editor) (2015). Dancing in the Rain: Living With NCDs (Noncommunicable Diseases). Sydney: Future Leaders. 237 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, minor edgewear. This book is about preventing and living with noncommunicable diseases (NCDs), such as cancers, chronic respiratory diseases, mental illness, obesity, cardiovascular diseases, and diabetes. The title suggests that NCDs is like dancing in the falling rain: you will get wet, but life can still be a lot of fun. The second part of the book features writing by young writers, winners of the Future Leaders writing awards. ISBN: 9780994404404. Our Book No: 29163. $18 AUD.
5. Braun, Trudi; Bendall-Brunello, John (illustrator) (2002). My Goose Betsy [Read and Wonder Series]. London: Walker & Co. 32 pp. Paperback square quarto, very good condition, colour drawings, sticker mark front flyleaf, minor edgewear. A very appealing children's picture book packed with facts about a goose from the egg hatching to the life of an adult goose. The large colour sketches make this a very special book. ISBN: 0744562805. Our Book No: 20045. $10 AUD.
6. Brierley, Saroo; Buttrose, Larry (with) (2013). A Long Way Home (1st ed). Melbourne: Viking / Penguin Books. 256 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, colour photos, colour map inside covers, black & white map, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. First edition. He became lost on a train in India at the age of five. He survived for weeks on the streets of Kolkata (Calcutta), before being taken in by an orphanage and adopted by a couple in Australia. He was happy in his new family, but always wondered about his origins. Through Google Earth he found what he was searching for. He set off on a journey to find his birth mother. A moving and inspirational true story of survival and triumph against incredible odds. It is a celebration of the human spirit. ISBN: 9780670077045. Our Book No: 27213. $20 AUD.
7. Browne, Frances (1951). Granny's Wonderful Chair [Whitcombe's Story Books]. Melbourne: Whitcombe & Tombs. 40 pp. Paperback, good condition, card cover (blue & orange on pale orange), full-page black & white drawings (including frontispiece), spine repaired, centre page spread LOOSE, staples rusted, top corner tip covers missing, pages toned particularly edges, minor edgewear. No 301 in this series for children of ages 8 to 9 years. A fairy story about a little girl named Snowflake and her very old grandmother Dame Frostyface. (Estimated date, 1951, McLaren 301l, no G number, printed by Purbrick (the last of 12 editions). Cover price: 5d. Originally published by Whitcombe, 1908, being an adaptation of "Granny's wonderful chair and tales of fairy times", London, 1856. Our Book No: 17009. $15 AUD.
8. Burrow, Aillen L. (1944). Little Shepherd: The Life Story of a Little Dog Founded on Fact [Whitcombe's Story Books]. Melbourne: Whitcombe & Tombs. 64 pp. Paperback, good condition, card cover (blue & orange on pale orange), black & white drawings (including full-page & frontispiece), spine repaired, pages toned particularly edges, minor edgewear, shop rubber stamp. No 410 in this series for children of ages 9 to 10 years. A story about the mysterious dog living among the sheep on Coolabah Station. (Estimated date, 1944, McLaren no. 410d, no G number, printed by Purbrick. Cover price: 8d. Originally published, 1922. Rubber stamp of Anthony Horderns department store.). Our Book No: 17008. $25 AUD.
9. Burt, Denise; Bishop, Tom (illustrator) (1974). Samuel the Stickybeak Anteater (1st stated ed). Adelaide: Rigby Limited. Unnum 24 pp. Hardback large quarto, no jacket, very good condition, pictorial cover, full-page colour illustrations, top corners covers & spine ends little scuffed. A wonderful children's picture story about a Spiny Anteater who loved to investigate everything which sometimes got him in trouble. However, one day he found that he could help to rescue Honey Possum when she was stuck in a hole in a tree after being chased by a cat. The simple text and full-page colour illustrations will appeal to all ages. ISBN: 0851798241. Our Book No: 29186. $20 AUD.
10. Campbell, Bob (2013). Giants Leap: An Activist Folksinger's Memoir. City Not Stated: Bob Campbell. 264 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos, light crease cover joins to spine, minor edgewear corners. This personal autobiography tells the story of Fiddler Bob. He is a veteran of the Australian folk music scene, a singer, musician, writer, poet, teacher and story teller. The story is also a record of the social history, music and folklore of a dedicated group of Australians who helped make society aware of social, cultural and environmental problems. ISBN: 9781483680033. Our Book No: 29141. $20 AUD.
11. Chappell (1948). Famous Hits of Famous Stars: A Souvenir Album: Complete Words and Music with Ukulele Accompaniment. Sydney: Chappell & Co. Ltd. 39 pp. Paperback quarto, stapled pamphlet, very good condition, card covers, staples lightly rusted, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. (Estimated date, 1948, latest copyright date.) Sheet music for piano. Complete words and music to popular songs. No 1 (unstated) of three or four volumes. The 12 songs are: April showers - Don't Fence me in - The rose in her hair - I'm in love with Vienna - When I'm cleaning windows - Beneath the lights of home - Paradise in waltz time - March of the grenadiers - Some Sunday morning - Congo lullaby - Canoe song - Dream. Our Book No: 17026. $20 AUD.
12. Charlwood, Don (2005). The Long Farewell: The Perilous Voyages of Settlers Under Sail in the Great Migrations to Australia (Reissue ed). Warrandyte, VIC: Burgewood Books. 324 pp. Paperback, very good condition, black & white text-photos & drawings, front cover little creased, corner tips lightly scuffed, few small dents & impressions rear cover, minor edgewear, autograph (author's written name). The story of the British emigrants who sailed to the new colonies of Australia. They felt isolated, and lived in fear of storms, icebergs and fever. The author has drawn on the contemporary records to recall the experiences, physical dangers, stress, boredom and personalities of the people on their way to a new life. He has used letters, illustrations and more than 100 shipboard diaries to provide this fascinating look at an important part of early history. ISBN: 1876425008. Our Book No: 29185. $16 AUD.
13. Chopra, Deepak (2011). Muhammad: A Story of God's Messenger and the Revelation That Changed the World (1st stated ed). New York: HarperCollins. 267 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, corner tip front cover little creased, minor edgewear. From the author's notes: This is a novel, not an official biography. A few events are told out of order. The characters drop in and out of sight in order to keep the story moving. The author has included a chronology of the most prominent events in the story. There is also a family tree showing Muhammad's ancestry and extended family. ISBN: 9780061782435. Our Book No: 29193. $10 AUD.
14. Clarke, John (2003). The Even More Complete Book of Australian Verse (1st this ed). Melbourne: Text Publishing. 116 pp. Hardback small square, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), spine ends little rubbed, cover corner tips little rubbed, minor edgewear jacket. The aim of this very funny book of Australian verse is to put on record the amount of imagery and ideas to be found in Australian poetry. A wonderful little book to bring a smile to anyone's face as did the author over the years. ISBN: 187700880X. Our Book No: 29175. $18 AUD.
15. Club of the ACT, Land Rover (1984). Going Bush: A Handbook for Four Wheel Driver Users (Amended ed). Canberra: Land Rover Club of the ACT. 116 pp. Paperback trade, card cover, very good condition, figures, adverts, tiny tear fore-edge single page, bottom corner front cover & few pages lightly creased, tiny mark front cover, staples rusted, minor edgewear. This very informative and practical booklet has been written to encourage safe and trouble-free enjoyment of the Australian bush. The book covers maintaining your vehicle at all times, bush preparation, fitting out the vehicle, map reading, bush mechanics and emergency repairs, photography, first aid and many other topics that will help you get maximum enjoyment from your vehicle. ISBN: 0959304606. Our Book No: 29164. $15 AUD.
16. Connors, Libby (2015). Warrior: A Legendary Leader's Dramatic Life and Violent Death on the Colonial Frontier. Sydney: Allen & Unwin. 268 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, map, black & white & colour photos (including frontispiece), pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. About one of Australia's little-known heroes, one of the many Aboriginal men to die protecting their country. Young warrior Dundalli, along with his band of warriors, had the white settlers in thrall for 12 years, escaping capture over and over, until he was arrested and publicly executed. The author gives a new look at life in the early days of white settlement of Brisbane and south-east Queensland. ISBN: 9781760110482. Our Book No: 29157. $18 AUD.
17. Cruikshank, George (1982). Hop-O' My-Thumb and the Seven League Boots [Facsimile Editions, Osborne Collection of Early Children's Books, Toronto Public Library]. London / Tokyo: Bodley Head / Holp Shuppan. 34 pp. Paperback small, very good plus condition, card cover, full-page black & white drawings, in cardboard slipcase. Facsimile edition. Facsimile of a children's story about a drunken father abandoning his children who then encounter an ogre: being an adaptation of an old fairy tale, but here rewritten to support the temperance movement. Charles Dickens severely criticised changing the words of old fairy tales. Originally published by David Bogue, London, in 1853, as part of George Cruikshank's Fairy Library. (One of a set of 35 handsome facsimiles in 28 slipcases.). Our Book No: 17011. $20 AUD.
18. Davies, Paul B.; Faerber, Kevin; Longhurst, Terry; Pattison, David; O'Neill, Amanda (text) & de Ste. Croix, Philip (editor) (2001). The Beginner's Guide to Drawing Cartoons: A Step-by-Step Guide to Drawing Fantastic Cartoons. Bath, UK: Parragon. Unnum pp. Paperback quarto (with flaps), very good condition, full-colour & single-colour cartoons, coloured edges, minor edgewear. Hints on drawing cartoons and comic strips. The step-by-step instructions by four professional cartoonists give their tricks of the trade to get you started. How to create a host of entertaining cartoon characters, building up your drawings in easy stages. ISBN: 0752589814. Our Book No: 29152. $20 AUD.
19. Dawson, Dr Len (1995). Skydoctor: Based on the Adventures and Experiences of a Flying Doctor in the 1950s (Reprint ed). Wingham, NSW: Gypsy Publications. 270 pp. Paperback large wide octavo, very good condition, colour & black & white photos, black & white illustration inside rear cover, front endpaper map, fold-out map, bottom corner tip front cover little scuffed, top corner front cover creased, minor edgewear, rubber stamp. The author writes about his life as a rural Australian flying doctor in the 1950s. He has recorded his adventures by word, photos and memorabilia, and he has now decided to write this book to share the good and not-so-good times with others. The maps help to show the areas that were covered, and the photos show the many locations and people he visited. A fascinating book about a very important part of Australian history. ISBN: 0646253077. Our Book No: 29159. $30 AUD.
20. De Robeck, Nesta (1934). The Christmas Presepio in Italy (1st ed). Florence, Italy: Giulio Giannini & Figlio. 32 pp. Hardback small, no jacket, affixed paper label title front cover, illustrated covers, full-page single-colour illustrations, spine little faded, pages little toned. This charming little book describes the Presepio which is a Nativity Scene also known as a manger scene, crib, or creche. Every year in Italy the Presepio becomes a special exhibition particularly during the Christmas season, of art objects representing the birth of jesus. The history of the Presepio begun in Bethlehem. Our Book No: 29177. $50 AUD.
21. de Tourris, Jose (1970). Guitar Music of the 16th, 17th and 18th Centuries: Transcription and Fingering. New York: Hargail Music Press. 24 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, card cover (stapled), minor foxing & edgewear, sticker mark, minimal annotation (tick marks). Sheet music for 12 pieces transcribed for the guitar. Subtitle: "da Parma, de Visee, Roncalli, Sanz, Rameau, Albinoni, Handel." Duel text in English and French. By professor of guitar at the Conservatoire d'Orsay. Our Book No: 17012. $15 AUD.
22. Diamond, Jared (1998). Guns, Germs and Steel: A Short History of Everybody for the Last 13,000 Years (Reprint ed). London: Vintage. 480 pp. Paperback, very good condition, figures, black & white photos, edges faintly toned as usual, minor edgewear, stock photo differs from cover design. This book answers the most obvious, the most important, yet the most difficult, question about human history. Why did history unfold so differently on different continents? Geography and biography, not race, moulded the contrasting fates of Europeans, Asians, native Americans, sub-Saharan Africans, and Aboriginal Australians. ISBN: 0099302780. Our Book No: 21980. $16 AUD.
23. Dillon, Colin; Gilling, Tom (with) (2016). Code of Silence: How One Honest Police Officer Took on Australia's Most Corrupt Police Force (Reprint ed). Sydney, Crows Nest: Allen & Unwin. 232 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition. . 'Wherever there is power and money, there is always the risk of corruption. But everyone has a choice: to become involved or to take a stand against it.'Colin Dillon is an extraordinary man. He was the first Indigenous policeman in Australia. But that is actually a very small part of his story.He was also the first serving police officer to voluntarily appear before the Fitzgerald Commission of Inquiry in 1987 and give first-hand evidence of police corruption. He did this at a time when the Fitzgerald Inquiry was beginning and struggling for traction. His evidence at the Inquiry was instrumental in eventually sending some police, including Police Commissioner Terry Lewis, and politicians to prison.Revealing, powerful and uncompromising, this is the story of Colin Dillon's nearly 40 years in a police force rotten to the core. It describes the extraordinary range of criminal activities - drugs, gaming, SP bookmaking, brothels, vehicle theft - that were allowed to operate with impunity in return for bribes. It also tells of the high price an honest man and his family paid for his decision to break the code of silence. Paperback. Bookseller Inventory # MM-42071477. ISBN: 9781760290580. Our Book No: 17002. $18 AUD.
24. Edwards, George; Bingham, Miss (Lorna) (1943). The Lost Tribe (From the Golden Boomerang Serial). Sydney: Winn & Co. 32 pp. Paperback quarto, fair condition only, card covers, black & white drawings, full-page colour drawings, DUPLICATED PAGES, spine & bottom edge cover very worn, pages lightly toned (title page toned & top edge short cut), covers creased & little marked, bottom edge front cover torn (corner tip removed), main edge & spine tears repaired, staples rusted, edges lightly foxed, edgewear, copy 2. Collectible children's picture story. Adapted from the George Edwards radio serial, "The Search for the Golden Boomerang" by Lorna Bingham. Violet Crumble advert on rear cover. Muir 697. Complete with all three colour plates, but four pages as a block are duplicated (pages 19 to 22, including a colour plate). Our Book No: 16119A. $15 AUD.
25. Edwards, Hugh (1994). Pearls of Broome and Northern Australia (1st ed). Perth, Swanbourne: Hugh Edwards. 84 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, colour photos, black & white photos endpapers & frontispiece), faint toning edges, bottom corner front cover little creased, top corner rear cover creased, insides covers little toned. The story of the famous pearling industry that is a major part of Broome's history. The Western Australian author is also a marine photographer, and this book also includes photos of the items that make up the pearl divers equipment, and the finished pearls in their beautiful settings. A wonderful book for anyone wanting to learn about Broome's history. ISBN: 0646193090. Our Book No: 29184. $15 AUD.
26. Eliot, T. S.; Gorey, Edward (illustrator) (1984). Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats (Reprint ed). London: Faber & Faber. 56 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), full-page black & white drawings (including frontispiece), endpapers little foxed, pages lightly toned, top edge lightly foxed, reverse side jacket lightly foxed (minor edgewear). Loveable cat poems written for his god-children and friends in the 1930s. They inspired the musical Cats (Andrew Lloyd Webber).The American artist Edward Gorey has used witty, affectionate and entirely original drawings to go with T. S. Eliot's beloved cat poems. ISBN: 0571119719. Our Book No: 29189. $14 AUD.
27. Elkin, A. P. (1972). Two Rituals in South and Central Arnhem Land [Oceania Monographs, no 19]. Sydney: University of Sydney. 151 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, tables, front cover little creased, spine little faded, minor edgewear. A collection of three papers previously published in Oceania about Aboriginal rituals in Arnhem Land. Our Book No: 17024. $80 AUD.
28. Eyles, Allen (1996). Gaumont British Cinemas (1st ed). London: Cinema Theatre Association. 224 pp. Paperback large wide octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos, single-colour illustrations inside covers, corner tips covers & spine little creased, edges lightly toned, minor edgewear. About the Gaumont cinemas in Britain. The Gaumont name was gradually replaced by that of Odeon after the two circuits merged and it disappeared in 1987. The book is well-illustrated with photos of the cinemas as well as examples of advertising and publicity, and recalls the history of the circuit as well as the foundation and often turbulent life of its parent company, the Gaumont-British Picture Corporation. Included is a detailed listing of more than 400 cinemas that were part of the Gaumont circuit, and the titles of all the films given the Gaumont circuit release from 1932 onwards. The author is a film historian. ISBN: 0851705197. Our Book No: 29198. $40 AUD.
29. Fahey, Warren (editor); Seal, Graham (editor) (2005). Old Bush Songs: The Centenary Edition of Banjo Paterson's Classic Collection (1st ed). Sydney: ABC Books. 324 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos & drawings, covers little creased, light foxing edges, minor edgewear. This book was first published in 1905 to preserve bush songs during a period of massive social change. In this centenary edition, two of Australia's premier folklorists have preserved the best of Paterson's collection. They have used their own work as collectors, and the work of other researchers to extend the collection in this book. ISBN: 0733315917. Our Book No: 29181. $18 AUD.
30. Ferber, Sarah (2004). Demonic Possession and Exorcism in Early Modern France. London: Routledge. 227 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, few black & white drawings (engravings), minor edgewear corners. An original study of demonic possession and the ritual of exorcism, in early modern times in France. The book also looks at the present day. The author argues that early modern conflicts over the devil still carry an unexpected force and significance for Western Christianity. The author is lecturer in History at the University of Queensland. ISBN: 0415212650. Our Book No: 29156. $30 AUD.
31. Fischer, Tim (2014). Maestro John Monash, Melbourne, Jerilderie, Gallipoli, Amiens and Beyond: Australia's Greatest Citizen General. Melbourne, Clayton: Monash University Publishing. 268 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white & colour photos, few light scratches covers, light creases in front cover, minor edgewear corners. General Sir John Monash was an engineer and reserve soldier who served at Gallipoli and rose to command all the Australian forces on the Western Front in France. This biography is a record of historical importance, and details the contribution made to Australia and the world by General Monash. The author has used new material in this very special look at one of Australia's greatest citizens. ISBN: 9781922235596. Our Book No: 29145. $25 AUD.
32. Fison, D. C. (1970). The History of the Royal Children's Hospital Brisbane. Brisbane: Royal Children's Hospital Brisbane Woman's Auxillary. Unnum 32 pp. Hardback small octavo, very good condition, thick card cover (cloth spine), black & white text-photos, staples rusted, sticker mark front cover, old price marks, non-author written dedication. proceeds from the sale of this book go to the Royal Children's Hospital Brisbane Woman's Auxillary. Our Book No: 17018. $20 AUD.
33. Gay, Peter (1969). Weimar Culture: The Outsider as Insider (1st U.K. ed). London: Secker & Warburg. 205 pp. Hardback dustjacket, good condition (in good dustjacket), black & white photos, dual binding (has superior binding along spine), edges foxed, flap jacket clipped (small edge tears, reverse side faintly foxed), minor edgewear, non-author written dedication, owner's written name;. First UK edition. A study of German culture between the two wars, brilliantly tracing the rise of the artistic, literary, and musical culture that bloomed ever so briefly in the 1920s amid the chaos of Germany's tenuous post-World War I democracy, and crashed violently in the wake of Hitler's rise to power. By American professor of history, born in Berlin, but exiled by Hitler. ISBN: 0436187906. Our Book No: 4172. $20 AUD.
34. Gilbert, Kevin (editor) (1988). Inside Black Australia: An Anthology of Aboriginal Poetry (Reprint ed). Melbourne: Penguin Group. 213 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, bottom corner front cover little creased, faint toning pages & inside covers, minor edgewear. These tough poems come from the reserves of the desert, riverbanks, prison cells, universities and urban ghettoes. There are 40 voices in this anthology of Aboriginal poetry, which is an angry call for justice and the restoration of the land and the Dreaming. ISBN: 0140111263. Our Book No: 29192. $10 AUD.
35. Gray, Robert (2014). Coast Road: Selected Poems. Melbourne, Collingwood: Black Inc. 122 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, pages faintly toned, tiny crush fore-edge rear cover & few pages, rear cover little creased, minor edgewear. A collection of the author's poems, which were selected by Paul Kane for an American edition of "Daylight Saving". ISBN: 9781863957021. Our Book No: 29166. $15 AUD.
36. Gros, Jules (1892). L'hHomme Fossile: Aventures d'une Expedition Scientifique dans les Mers Australes. Paris: Librairie Marpon et Flammarion. 256 pp. Hardback very small, very good condition, black cloth cover (gilt spine lettering), marbled endpapers, pages toned as usual, staple marks front free flyleaf, string bookmark, minimal EX-LIBRARY (hospice library, rubber stamps, small spine sticker remnants), protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve (acetate). This novel is an obscure example of the "lost race" theme in adventure fiction. The story is set in the sealing grounds off southeasternAustralia, with the imaginary expedition of geologists and paleontologists on board the ship "Le Glorieux" using Melbourne as its base. French language text. ISBN: 0521275938. Our Book No: 17027. $40 AUD.
37. Hanon, C. L.; Schotte, Alphonse (revised) (1929). The Virtuoso Pianist in Sixty Exercises for the Piano (Revised, augmented ed) [Imperial Edition no. 595: Plate B 4955]. Melbourne: Allan & Co. 115 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, edges foxed, faint ring mark front cover, minor edgewear. Australian edition. Sheet music for these piano exercises, here revised and augmented by Schotte (revision copyright, 1929). Our Book No: 17017. $20 AUD.
38. Hegewald-Kawich, Horst (1996). The German Shepherd Dog (A Complete Pet Owner's Manual) (Reprint ed). Hauppauge, NY: Barron's Educational. 64 pp. Paperback wide trade, very good plus condition, colour text-photos, black & white drawings. ISBN: 0812097491. Our Book No: 2121. $10 AUD.
39. Henry, Kath (2016). Sam: A Family's Journey Through a Child's Chronic Illness. Sydney, Hornsby: Kimbrada Publishers. 138 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, colour text-photos, bottom corner rear cover little creased, minor edgewear, faint sticker mark front cover. The author shares her family story about their son Sam having neutropenia, a blood condition that leads to recurrent and sometimes even fatal infections. Kath has written this inspiring book to help others understand this chronic illness, and to give hope to anyone on a similar journey. ISBN: 9780992325862. Our Book No: 29151. $30 AUD.
40. Hill, Scott Russell (2006). Psychic Detective: A Spiritual Investigation into Unsolved Crimes. Sydney: Pan Macmillan. 241 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, colour & black & white photos, cover corners little creased, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear, owner's written name. The author, Australian psychic Scott Russell Hill appeared on "Sensing Murder", a TV show that used psychic clues to investigate unsolved murders. He writes about his journey through the netherworld of cold cases and the clues he receives from the other side. Cases include the Claremont serial killings, Karmein Chan and Mr Cruel, the Beaumont children's disappearance in the 60s, Queensland's Daniel Morcombe, and two of New Zealand's most puzzling cases. ISBN: 9781405037402. Our Book No: 29170. $25 AUD.
41. Hughes, Shirley (2001). Alfie Weather (1st ed). London: Bodley Head. Unnum 42 pp. Hardback small oblong quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), colour drawings (mostly full-page), minor edgewear jacket, review label front free flyleaf. This new collection of children's stories and poems featuring Alfie and his sister, Annie Rose. Alfie can find plenty to do in any weather. The bright and colourful illustrations will delight any age, and the stories and poems are fun to read whatever the weather may be. ISBN: 0370325613. Our Book No: 29146. $15 AUD.
42. Johannsen, Kurt G.; Palmer, Daphne (editor) (1999). A Son of "The Red Centre": Memoirs and Anecdotes of the Life of Road Train Pioneer and Bush Inventor of the Northern Territory of Australia (Reprint ed). Adelaide, Morphettville: Kurt G. Johannsen. 254 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good condition, black & white text-photos, colour photos, map, bottom corner tip front cover little scuffed, minor edgewear. This is the author's fascinating life story, as told by himself. Kurt Gerhart Johannsen is a pioneer, inventor and improviser of the Northern Territory. He was born in 1915 at Deep Well Station, 50 miles south of Alice Springs. The many photos help to bring his story to life. ISBN: 0646133047. Our Book No: 29172. $20 AUD.
43. Kennedy, Malcolm J. (2005). Hauling the Loads: A History of Australia's Working Horses and Bullocks (New ed). Rockhampton: Central Queensland University Press (CQUP). 222 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good plus condition, black & white photos, minor edgewear. With exemplary and painstaking research, describes part of our history that is now lost. The previously unrecognized efforts of bullocks and horses, carrying people and goods across an alien continent, made Australia's foundation possible. They should not be forgotten. ISBN: 1876780630. Our Book No: 17025. $30 AUD.
44. Kleiman, Allan; Miller, Michele (1992). Blue Sky Blue Bush and Silver: A Guide to the Art, Artists and Galleries of Broken Hill, Australia. Melbourne: Blue Bush Press. 72 pp. Paperback large oblong quarto (with flaps), very good condition, colour photos, few black & white photos, maps, foldout, tiny crush fore-edge rear cover & last page, minor edgewear. This book tells the story of New South Wales' oldest regional art gallery. The gallery was opened by the Governor General Lord Northcote on 11th October, 1904. Some of the local artists featured in the guide are: Pro Hart, Eric McCormick, Badger Bates, Phil Jones, Jack Absalom, Peter Anderson, Hugh Schulz, Raylee-Marie Hart, Eric Dalby, and Betty Smith. Each story has a photo of the artist and some of their work. ISBN: 0646115154. Our Book No: 29148. $30 AUD.
45. Klimsch, Karl (1977). Florid Victorian Ornament: Over 700 Motifs (Facsimile ed) [Dover Pictorial Archive Series]. New York: Dover Publications. 102 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, black & white text-photos, few tiny impressions covers, base spine little rubbed, cover corner & some pages tip lightly creased, fore-edges last few pages rough-cut, minor edgewear. This very special book has over 700 metal-engraved designs on 102 plates: borders, frames, corners, leaves, scrollwork, strapwork, rosettes, escutcheons, cartouches in various sizes and styles. The designs include: floral motifs, leaves, flowers, vines, wreaths, geometric patterns, Greek frets, interlocking circles, squares, triangles, rectangles, lions, swans, serpents, hats, helmets, vegetables, heads. This book will appeal to artists, craftspeople and designers or to anyone with a love of anything Victorian. First published by Asher & Co, London (an unabridged republication of "Ornaments Invented & Designed", by Charles Klimsch, about 1877). ISBN: 0486234908. Our Book No: 29196. $18 AUD.
46. Knight, Frederick (1978). Scroll Ornaments of the Early Victorian Period: 71 Engravings (Reprint revised ed) [Dover Pictorial Archive Series]. New York: Dover Publications. 47 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, black & white plates, spine ends little rubbed, cover corner tips lightly creased, top corners some pages creased, minor edgewear. This very special book has over 71 metal-engraved designs on 47 plates: borders, frames, scrolls, creches, corners, crests in varied sizes & styles. There are floral motifs, leaves, flowers, vines, wreaths-all in ever-spreading and overflowing swirls. There are interlocking patterns of circles, rococo extravaganzas, lions, serpents, cherubs, fruit, vultures, mythical beasts. This book will appeal to artists, craftspeople and designers or to anyone with a love of anything Victorian. First published by J. Williams, London (revised reprint of the work "Knight's Scroll Ornaments, designed for the use of Silversmiths, Chasers, Die-Sinkers, Modellers, &c, 1825 - 1830). ISBN: 0486235963. Our Book No: 29197. $17 AUD.
47. Lauder, Afferbeck; Morrison, Alistair;Terego, Al (illustrator), & Clarke, John (foreword) (2009). Strine: The Complete Works of Professor Afferbeck Lauder Comprising: Let Stalk Strine - Nose Tone Unturned - Fraffly Well Spoken - Fraffly Suite (1st ed). Melbourne: Text Publishing. 229 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, cartoons, pages faintly toned as usual, minor edgewear. In this collected volume are Afferbeck Lauder's groundbreaking studies of Australian speech, "Let Stalk Strine" and "Nose Tone Unturned". Also included are "Fraffly Well Spoken" and "Fraffly Suite", Lauder's guides to the strangled dialect of the English upper middle class. The books are reproduced with Al Terego's original illustrations. Frontispiece photos of Alistair Morrison, the anonymous author. ISBN: 9781921520853. Our Book No: 25936. $15 AUD.
48. Lazenby, John (2015). The Strangers Who Came Home: The First Australian Cricket Tour of England (1st ed). London: Bloomsbury. 292 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white & sepia (brown-tinted) & few colour photos centre spread, pages faintly toned, covers little creased, minor edgewear. The first Australian cricket team to tour England in 1878, and who regarded themselves as British and still called Britain home. This book is a very readable social history, and brings that summer to life. The 11 men who played 72 matches in all, blazed an unforgettable trail through Australia, New Zealand, Britain, America and Canada. They created the template for Australian cricket and launched the game into the modern era. ISBN: 9781408844663. Our Book No: 29176. $17 AUD.
49. Lindsay, Norman (1966). Bohemians of the Bulletin (Reprint ed). Sydney: Angus & Robertson. 160 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), full-page black & white drawings, endpapers lightly toned & foxed, bottom corner front cover little worn, beige background jacket little marked (minor edgewear, few light impressions front cover, spine little faded). The Australian artist & writer describes his meetings with famous writers for the Bulletin, including Henry Lawson, Banjo Paterson and Steele Rudd. Our Book No: 29165. $20 AUD.
50. Long, Elgen M.; Long, Marie K. (1999). Amelia Earhart: The Mystery Solved (1st ed). New York: Simon & Schuster. 320 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & photos centre spread, maps, minor edgewear. The authors have used long-lost radio messages, and spent 25 years researching her disappearance. This book simultaneously reveals the authors findings, and brings to life the primitive conditions under which earlier aviators flew. ISBN: 9781439164662. Our Book No: 29162. $15 AUD.
51. Lowe, Ian (2010). A Voice of Reason: Reflections on Australia (1st ed). Brisbane, St Lucia: University of Queensland Press (UQP). 263 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition pages faintly toned, top spine little scuffed, light creasing rear cover, minor edgewear. Written by pre-eminent Australian scientist and environmentalist. The author has collected for the first time, his views on topics that concern all Australians, the environment, culture, science, politics, education, technology and the economy. Included are new essays on Australia's outlook this century. ISBN: 9780702238475. Our Book No: 29174. $16 AUD.
52. Maiden, J. H. (1920). The Weeds of New South Wales: Part 1. Sydney: William Appelgate Gullick, Government Printer. 142 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket as issued, red brown cloth cover (gilt lettering), very good condition, full-page black & white drawings, colour plates (including frontispiece), free flyleaves lightly toned, pages faintly toned as usual, minimal foxing, spine ends little worn, minor edgewear, correction slip tipped in. An exceptional guide to weeds by the Government botanist of New South Wales (NSW). Part 1 is the only published part. Our Book No: 12789. $40 AUD.
53. McGrath, Glenn (2015). Test of Will: What I've Learned From Cricket and Life (1st ed). Sydney: Allen & Unwin. 336 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, colour photos, small crease top edge front cover, slight bump top spine, few light scratches covers, minor edgewear. Autobiography of one of Australia's most successful cricketers (left-handed batsman). His Test career started at age 19, and he has played against all the great players of the post-war scene. He writes about the things that have shaped him both in and out of cricket. He relates his experiences starting the McGrath Foundation, the annual Pink Test in Sydney, how it came about and how important it is to him. This is an honest and open look at his life. ISBN: 9781760294694. Our Book No: 29201. $18 AUD.
54. McGregor, Russell (1998). Imagined Destinies: Aboriginal Australians and the Doomed Race Theory, 1880 - 1939 (Reprint ed). Melbourne, Carlton South: Melbourne University Press (MUP). 313 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, minor edgewear corners, crease rear cover & some pages, bottom corner tip rear cover creased, faint foxing inside front cover. Examines the origins and the gradual demise of the 'doomed race' theory, which was dominant in 19th-century European thinking, and largely not questioned until the 1930s. This book is a challenging analysis and history of an idea that has had a powerful influence over white Australian attitudes to the policies regarding Australian Aboriginal people. ISBN: 0522847625. Our Book No: 29142. $18 AUD.
55. McKenna, Martin (2014). The Boy Who Talked to Dogs: A Memoir (1st ed). New York: Skyhorse Publishing. 223 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), edges faintly toned, top corner rear cover little bumped, bottom edges covers little rubbed, minor edgewear jacket (front flap jacket lightly creased). The author grew up on the streets of Limerick in Ireland with a pack of stray dogs. He writes about his early life in Garryowen, Ireland, the 1970s. His family and teachers did not understand him, and he found that the dogs accepted him. He now lives in Australia, and credits his early life with the dogs, in making a name for himself as the "Dog Man". ISBN: 9781629144337. Our Book No: 29195. $18 AUD.
56. McKenzie, Janet; Keating, Paul (foreword) (1994). Arthur Boyd at Bundanon. London: Academy Editions. 128 pp. Paperback large wide quarto (with flaps), very good condition, colour reproductions (few black & white), few colour photos, corner tips front cover little creased, tiny scuff spine ends, inner hinge slightly split (pages firm), minor edgewear. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. About the historic property Bundanon (not to be confused with the town of Bundanoon), on the Shoalhaven River near Nowra on the South Coast of New South Wales, which in 1993, Arthur Boyd gave to the people of Australia. Arthur Boyd's vision was for the property to become an artistic haven. Examines the relationship Arthur Boyd has had with the Shoalhaven River in the past 20 years. The author has been assisted by the National Gallery of Australia and Arthur Boyd himself, in researching the artist's work nspired by Bundanon. ISBN: 1854903381. Our Book No: 29188. $35 AUD.
57. McNamara, Ken (2004). Stromatolites (Reprint ed). Perth: West Australian Museum. 28 pp. Paperback wide trade, stapled pamphlet, card covers, very good condition, map, black & white drawings, colour photos, frontispiece, top corner tip covers & pages little creased, minor edgewear. This booklet covers both living and fossil stromatolites. The stromatolites are located in Western Australia at Shark Bay, Lake Clifton, Lake Richmond, Rottnest Island, and Lake Thetis. ISBN: 0730952150. Our Book No: 29158. $10 AUD.
58. Meldrum, Ian Molly; Jenkins, Jeff (with) & Masterson, Lawrie (special thanks) (2016). The Never, Um, Ever Ending Story: Life, Countdown and Everything in Between (1st p/b ed). Sydney, Crows Nest: Allen & Unwin. 473 pp. Paperback thick, very good plus condition, black & white & colour photos, minor edgewear. The autobiography of Molly Ian Meldrum, Australian pop musician and presenter of the TV program Countdown. This is the funny, vivid, warm and compelling memoir of his chaotic, incredible life and the show that made his famous. This book is full of anecdotes and features a colourful cast of musos, characters and international superstars. ISBN: 9781760293567. Our Book No: 29182. $21 AUD.
59. Menary, Richard (editor) (2010). The Extended Mind (Reprint ed) [Life and Mind: Philosophical Issues in Biology and Psychology]. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. 382 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, few edge creases some pages, faint mark top edge, minor edgewear, faint pencil line bottom edge. This book brings together for the first time the best responses to the 1998 paper of Andy Clark and David J. Chalmers "The Extended Mind". The responses became a vigorous debate among philosophers, both supporters and non supporters. The original paper and the responses, give a valuable overview on the latest research on the extended mind hypothesis. ISBN: 9780262518017. Our Book No: 29154. $25 AUD.
60. Minmia; Smith, Maureen (2007). Under the Quandong Tree. Mogo, NSW: Quandong Dreaming Publishing. 190 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white drawings, small crease bottom edge front cover, minor edgewear. This very special book has been written and illustrated by Minmai (Maureen Smith), who is an Aboriginal senior woman, educator and healer. Minmai was born down the line to carry traditional women's lore (law) of the Wirradjirra people, an Aboriginal nation in New South Wales stretching from Dunedoo into Victoria. The dreamtime stories will be of interest to anyone wanting to understand Aboriginal dreaming and mythology. ISBN: 9780646483481. Our Book No: 29153. $50 AUD.
61. Mosley, Geoff (1989). Blue Mountains for World Heritage. Sydney: Colong Foundation for Wilderness. 135 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos (including frontispiece), minor edgewear. Describes the Blue Mountains conservation area (national park) to the west of Sydney as a suitable candidate for World heritage listing. ISBN: 0959934731. Our Book No: 11936. $10 AUD.
62. Nicholas, Soraya (2016). Starlight Stables: Pony Detectives (1st ed) [Starlight Stables]. Melbourne: Penguin / Random House Australia. 180 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white drawings, small crease & tiny tear bottom edge single page. This is the first book in a new series for young adults about the friendship and adventures of three horse-loving girls. Some horses go missing and it is up to the girls to try and find who has stolen them. ISBN: 9780143308614. Our Book No: 29200. $10 AUD.
63. O'Shaughnessy, Maureen (2015). Lakeland. Port Adelaide, SA: Ginninderra Press. 157 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, frontispiece, minor edgewear, autograph (author's written name). This is a hybrid Australian novel, a fictional recreation told in prose and verse of the lives of multiple characters in one family. The novel is inspired by real events, and moves in and out of Nazi Germany, across the two hemispheres and through generations of exile and emigration. The story captures incidents of love and doubt, loss and reunion, rupture and resistance. ISBN: 9781760410445. Our Book No: 29144. $15 AUD.
64. Orton, A (1938). The Diesel Engine: An Introductory Treatment of the Principles of Working, Construction, and Operation of Diesel Engines (Revised, reprint ed) [Pitman's Technical Primers]. London: Sir Isaac Pitman & Sons. 121 + 12 pp. Hardback small, very good condition, black & white drawings (some full-page), endpapers & edges lightly foxed, pages faintly toned, slight colour loss patch front cover, top corner front cover & spine ends lightly bumped, bookshop label spine & front pastedown, owner's written name & date front pastedown, minor edgewear. This small book explains the elements of the various types of engines, and the basic principles, methods, and construction which applies to diesel engines of all types. The book has been revised since its first edition in 1923, to bring it generally into line with present knowledge and practice. Our Book No: 29167. $18 AUD.
65. Palmer, Jerry (1994). Taking Humour Seriously (1st p/b ed). London: Routledge. 203 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, covers & spine little scratched, corners covers little creased, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. Examines the role humour and comedy play in many different types of society. Literary criticism, biology, anthropology, Freud are all discussed. The author argues that we must take humour seriously (as well as humorously) or fail to understand a fundamental part of culture. ISBN: 0415102677. Our Book No: 29190. $18 AUD.
66. Parry, C. Hubert H. (1895). Judith, or The Regeneration of Manasseh: An Oratorio [Novello's Original Octavo Edirion]. London: Novello, Ewer & Co. 214 pp. Hardback large octavo, no jacket as issued, very good condition, red cloth cover (embossed pattern, gilt lettering, spine little faded), all edges gilt, top edge marked, sticker mark front flyleaf, minor edgewear, rubber stamps (including title page), owner's written name. The sheet music for a play, being an oratoria (an extended dramatic religious musical). A play about the Israelites defeating the Assyrians in battle as revenge for attempts to sacrifice Israelite children. Rubber stamp of former owner: St Paul's Cathedral, Melbourne. Our Book No: 17016. $60 AUD.
67. Pedhazur, Elazar J. (1982). Multiple Regression in Behavioral Research: Explanation and Prediction (2nd ed). Fort Worth, TX: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich (HBJ). 822 pp. Hardback octavo, very good condition, olive cloth cover, corners covers bumped, owner's rubber stamps. Heavy (1.2 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. Second edition. Retains the non-mathematical treatment of the previous edition. Part 1 reports the foundations of multiple regression (MR) analysis. Part 2 is MR with categorical and continuous variables. Part 3 is causal analysis. Part 4 is multivariate analysis. Each of the 18 chapters includes a summary at the end, plus numerical study questions. ISBN: 0030417600. Our Book No: 17000. $30 AUD.
68. Penzig, Edgar (1988). Bushrangers - Heroes and Villains: The Truth About Australia's Wild Colonial Boys (Special bicentennial ed). Katoomba, NSW: Tranter Enterprises. 197 pp. Hardback quarto, no jacket as issued, very good condition, pictorial papered boards cover, black & white text-photos, full-page colour photo, spine little faded as common, minor edgewear, autograph (author's written name). (No 1338 of a limited edition of 2000 autographed copies.) A fascinating report on Australian bushrangers, with a focus on examining the cult of bushrangers as heroes in Australian culture. ISBN: 0958765022. Our Book No: 17023. $80 AUD.
69. Penzig, Edgar (1992). Heroes and Villains: An Illustrated History of Our Bushranging Days (Quick-print ed). Katoomba, NSW: Tranter Enterprises. 159 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, card cover (black cloth spine), black & white text-photos, typewritten text, minor edgewear, autograph (author's written dedication). A fascinating history of Australian bushranging, combining extracts from his other works (including some new material), produced especially for audiences attending his motivational lectures on Australia's wild colonial days. ISBN: 0958765022. Our Book No: 17020. $40 AUD.
70. Perkins, Kevin (2003). Bristow: Last of the Hard Men. Sydney, Ashfield: Bonmoat. 394 pp. Paperback thick, very good condition, black & white & colour photos, corner front cover creased, few light creases front cover, top corner creased single page, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. Tim Bristow who was a tough private eye who controlled the mean streets of Sydney. He bribed cops, belted criminals and bent the law to get justice for those who could not find it any other way. He was a pinstriped larrikin who came from an establishment family and a private school. Ruthless, he could also show compassion, helping the underdog and victims of a corrupt society often without payment. He was also a policeman, boxer, fashion and photographic model, world surf champion, diver, crocodile hunter and rugby player. ISBN: 0975119702. Our Book No: 29168. $15 AUD.
71. Phillips, H. (Harry) (1910). Views of the Far Famed Blue Mountains N.S.W. Katoomba, NSW: H. Phillips. Unnum 24 pp. Paperback oblong large folio (59 cm x 23.8 cm), fair - good condition (but complete, internally very good), card cover, black & white photos, colour photo tipped in inside front cover (reverse side foxed), vertical fold (all pages), spine loose, covers partly foxed, some foxing, edgewear. A collection of photographs by Harry Phillips (1873 - 1944), a noted photographer, printer and publisher. He published about 80 books of photography about the Blue Mountains and Sydney, and is best remembered for his kitsch postcards. Note on p24: "Photographed and printed throughout by H. Phillips, Katoomba, N.S.W." (Estimated date, about 1910.). Our Book No: 17015. $100 AUD.
72. Praeger, S. Rosamond (S. R.) (1903). How They Went to School. London, Glasgow & Dublin: Blackie & Son. Unnum 104 pp. Hardback oblong quarto, very good condition, red cloth pictorial cover (rebacked, minimally flecked), full-page colour drawings, french-fold pages (fore-edge uncut, blank pages in between), rear page torn & repaired, minor foxing & marks edges, minor edgewear. First edition. A scarce early Blackie children's picture story (professionally repaired). Kitty and Hal didn't mean to be late for school, but so many distractions happened on the way. This is the scarce printing of the first edition possessing a red cloth cover (most known copies have a tan cover). Delightful colour woodcut drawings, with text on the facing page. Prager was an Irish illustrator and sculptor. Our Book No: 17005. $200 AUD.
73. Rayner, E. O.; Nye, P. B. (1940). [MAP] Cloncurry Gold and Mineral Field Plan Showing Generalized Geology and Positions of Mines [Cloncurry Plate 1]. Australia: Northern Aerial and Geophysical Survey. N/a pp. Ephemera, large format folded map, very good condition, multicoloured drawing, sheet lightly toned, tiny pinholes along one edge, minor edgewear & foxing, rubber library stamp reverse side. A handsome collectible geological map of the Cloncurry mineral field in Queensland. Contains the facsimile signatures of assistant geologist Rayner and executive officer Nye, dated 1940. Our Book No: 4190. $30 AUD.
74. Rolfe, Margaret (1998). Australian Quilt Heritage. Sydney, Rushcutters Bay: J. B. Fairfax Press. 96 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, colour photos, few black & white photos, title lightly faded spine, minor edgewear corners, autograph (author's written name). The story of Australian life over two centuries through the heritage of quilts, from convict-made quilts through to quilts as a contemporary art form. Written by a well-known quilt historian. This is a book to treasure for anyone interested in Australian history and crafts. ISBN: 1863433333. Our Book No: 29147. $30 AUD.
75. Ross, Ronald K.; Hunter, T. G. (foreword) (1948). A Dictionary of Petroleum Terms (1st ed). Sydney: New Century Press. 119 pp. Paperback trade, brown flexible covers, very good condition, edges lightly foxed, pages faintly toned, spine little rubbed, corners covers little worn. This dictionary has been written to help people who need some knowledge of the meaning of the terms used in the petroleum industry. The author has used simple everyday language to explain the terms used. Also be of interest to people who collect old engineering and geology books. Our Book No: 29149. $35 AUD.
76. Routledge, George (1982). The Dog's Dinner Party [Facsimile Editions, Osborne Collection of Early Children's Books, Toronto Public Library]. London / Tokyo: Bodley Head / Holp Shuppan. Unnum 22 pp. Paperback quarto, card cover, very good plus condition, full-page colour drawings, interleaved blank pages, in cardboard slipcase. Facsimile edition. Facsimile of a classic children's story from Routledge's Shilling Toy Books series (as listed on rear cover). Originally published by George Routledge, London, 1876. A story about dogs having a party. The story is in large simple text, and the colour illustrations are full-page (the centre one being spread over two pages). Interleaved are some blank pages. (One of a set of 35 handsome facsimiles in 28 slipcases.). Our Book No: 17001. $35 AUD.
77. Rubin, Paul H. (2002). Darwinian Politics: The Evolutionary Origin of Freedom (1st ed) [Rutgers Series In Human Evolution]. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press. 223 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, minor edgewear. This is the first book to look at political behavior from a modern evolutionary perspective. The author shows why certain political-moral philosophies succeed or fail in modern Western culture. Ultimately, the author argues that humans naturally seek political freedom, and modern Western society provides more freedom than any previous one. ISBN: 0813530962. Our Book No: 29179. $20 AUD.
78. Savva, Nikki (2016). The Road to Ruin: How Tony Abbott and Peta Credlin Destroyed Their Own Government. Melbourne: Scribe Publications. 326 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white photos center spread, minor edgewear & rubbing. The prominent political columnist for "The Australian" reveals the ruinous behaviour of former prime minister Tony Abbott and his chief of staff, Peta Credlin. Based on her unrivalled access to their colleagues, and devastating first-person accounts of what went on behind the scenes. Abbott ignored all the warnings, from beginning to end - the public ones, the private ones, from his friends, his colleagues, the media. His colleagues were not being disloyal. They did not feel they had betrayed him, they believed he had betrayed them. Their motives were honourable. They didn't want him to fail, they wanted the government to succeed, and they wanted the Coalition re-elected. Abbott and Credlin had played it harder and rougher than anybody else to get where they wanted to be. But they proved incapable of managing their own office, much less the government. Then, when it was over, when it was crystal-clear to everyone that they had failed, when everyone else could see why they had failed, she played the gender card while he played the victim. ISBN: 9781925321401. Our Book No: 17007. $15 AUD.
79. Severin, Tim; Beynon, Joe (photographer);Harris, Paul (photographer), & Sheil, Leonard (illustrator) (1997). The Spice Islands Voyage: In Search of Wallace (1st ed). London: Little, Brown & Company. 267 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white drawings, colour photos, map, minor edgewear. First edition. About a journey and a quest: a journey among the Spice Islands of equatorial Indonesia aboard a traditional native sailing vessel - a quest to rediscover a remarkable Englishman whose wandering in the archipelago changed the way we see the natural world. The author used Alfred Russel Wallace's "The Malay Archipelago" as a guide. This fascinating book is a singular travel book, a unique blend of biography, ecology, history and adventure. It bears witness to the many heroic achievements of one of the great Victorian scientist-explorers. ISBN: 0316881759. Our Book No: 27305. $20 AUD.
80. Sharah, Julie (editor); Waterhouse, Ellen (editor); Jackson, Nerida (editor) (1983). Recipes from Australia's Past: A Collection of 100 Original Recipes Compiled to Celebrate Bushells' Centenary 1883 - 1983 (1st ed). Sydney: Bushells / SalesRise (Produced by). 54 pp. Paperback trade, stapled, illustrated card covers, very good condition, single-colour drawings, colour covers, staples lightly rusted, minor edgewear. Delightful Australian heritage recipes and sketches, in support of centenary of Bushells Tea, 1883 - 1983. Many of the recipes and adverts were originally published in early editions of Bushells recipe books. The advertising content no longer applies and, some of the products featured are no longer manufactured. They are in this book because they do reflect our past lifestyle. Our Book No: 29199. $15 AUD.
81. Shire Council, Caboolture (2005). A Trip Through Time: Photographic Treasures of Caboolture (Reprint ed). Caboolture, QLD: Caboolture Shire Council. 102 pp. Paperback small wide quarto, very good condition, sepia-(brown-tinted) photos, few black & white photos, map, minor edgewear, non-author written dedication title page. This fascinating book is a photographic look at the many people who have called Caboolture home. The book has been published to celebrate 125 years of Local Government in Caboolture, which was named by the traditional owners. European settlement began with the arrival of the remarkable Archer family, who established 'Durunbar' homestead along the Kilcoy-Woodford Road in 1841. Caboolture has grown in recent decades, and this is shown in the photos. ISBN: 0959564454. Our Book No: 29161. $30 AUD.
82. Sisson, Terence; Grogan, Tony (cartoons) (2001). Just Nuisance AB: His full story (Reprint ed). Cape Town: W. J. Flesch & Partners. 151 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white cartoons, few black & white photos, top corner front cover creased, corner tip rear cover little scuffed, minor edgewear. This wonderful story is about a great dane who was formally inducted into the Royal Navy at Simon's Town (South Africa) in August 1939, just after the start of World War 2. Able Seaman Just Nuisance became a legend in his own lifetime because of his efforts to help the sailors in any way he could. He was the friend and companion of sailors who called at the Cape in the war years. The author records his personal experiences and those of others who had the fortune to meet this famous canine AB. ISBN: 0949989517. Our Book No: 29155. $18 AUD.
83. Stanley, Peter (2005). Quinn's Post: Anzac, Gallipoli (Reprint ed). Sydney, Crows Nest: Allen & Unwin. 226 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, few black & white drawings, bottom corner creased rear cover, corner tips front cover lightly creased, minor edgewear. The story of the Australians and New Zealanders who lived and died at Quinn's Post, Gallipoli, from the first hours of the landing to the final minutes of the evacuation. The author has used original accounts to tell this story, and the many photos help to tell what is a very important part of military history. ISBN: 1741143322. Our Book No: 29183. $20 AUD.
84. Strang, Herbert (1946). In Trafalgar's Bay (1st pb ed). Melbourne: Oxford University Press (OUP). 85 pp. Paperback, red flexible cloth covers, good condition, black & white drawings, cover edges little frayed, spine creased (binding), slight loss top spine, pages lightly toned, inner hinge split (pages firm), few page corner creased, rubber stamps. A children's story about the adventures of a girl named Agnus or Aggie, whose father and brother went to the Great War a century ago. The battle of Trafalgar is described (a long description that perhaps would not suit younger readers). One of the main characters is a dog named Bobbin who greeted his mistress at the end of her school day, and her father when he returned from war. Our Book No: 29194. $15 AUD.
85. Templevane (1920). [MATCHBOX LABEL] Templevane Safety Impregnated Matches Made in U.S.S.R. USSR: Templevane. 1 pp. Ephemera, matchbox label, good condition, large oblong format (33.5 x 14.3 cm), small hole right bottom corner, edgewear, pasted on brown paper backing sheet. A large label from a Russian (Soviet) matchbox dating from the 1920s. Our Book No: 4189. $20 AUD.
86. Theodosakis, Jason; Adderly, Brenda; Fox, Barry (1997). The Arthritis Cure: The Medical Miracle that Can Halt, Reverse, and May Even Cure Osteoarthritis (Australian, reprint ed). Sydney: Pan Macmillan. 212 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear, owner's written name. A medical practitioner describes an apparently promising program to reverse osteoarthritis that includes taking nutritional supplements to rebuild cartilage. ISBN: 0732908906. Our Book No: 4185. $10 AUD.
87. Tink, Andrew (2014). Australia 1901 - 2001: A Narrative History (1st ed). Sydney: NewSouth / University of New South Wales Press. 432 pp. Paperback thick octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, frontispiece, spine little creased, edges faintly toned, minor edgewear. The story of Australia in the 20th century, from federation in 2001 to the Sydney 2000 Olympics. The author writes with empathy, humour and insight to bring the decades to life. The book provides history that is readable and appealing. ISBN: 9781742234083. Our Book No: 29171. $20 AUD.
88. Tuiqilai, Elizabeth; Nash, Adrian (editor) (1993). The Little Lost Giants (1st stated ed). Queensland: Na Vosa Publishers / Printed by Merino Lithographics. 143 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), reverse side jacket little toned & foxed (minor edgewear), few small marks top edge, edges lightly toned, spine ends little rubbed. This autobiographical fictional novel tells the story of Anastasia, from early childhood. The novel deals with the problems faced by millions of migrants throughout the world. It is set in Australia. The author who is from Fiji, has written the story with tolerance, kindness and affection which she has built into the whole lifestyle of the people in the novel. This beautiful novel captures the hurtful shock a less sensitive culture can create for a migrant trying to fit into their new life. ISBN: 0646141538. Our Book No: 29178. $20 AUD.
89. von Holzen, Heinz; Arsana, Lother; Hutton, Wendy (editor) (1995). The Food of Bali: Authentic Recipes from the Island of the Gods (1st ed) [Periplus World Cookbooks]. Singapore / Bali: Periplus / Grand Hyatt Bali. 119 pp. Paperback wide small quarto (with flaps), very good condition, colour text photos (mostly full-page), minor edgewear,. Looks at the origins and cultural influences of the food of Bali. The stunning photos and detailed information on traditional ingredients and cooking techniques make this an ideal book for cooks who want to learn about the cultural background in which the food is cooked and enjoyed. ISBN: 0945971966. Our Book No: 29143. $15 AUD.
90. Wainwright, Robert (2004). The Lost Boy: A Search for Life, a Triumph of Outback Spirit (Reprint ed). Sydney, Crows Nest: Allen & Unwin. 188 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, top corner front cover little creased, minor edgewear, shop label rear cover. In October 1993, 8-year-old Clinton Liebelt disappeared without a trace in the Northern Territory. This story traces what happened to him and shows the true outback spirit which forged a community bond. The author explores the raw, gripping story about an outback family who became involved in one of Australia's biggest manhunts. About 500 people searched for him, until his body was found 10 days later. ISBN: 9781741143423. Our Book No: 29173. $18 AUD.
91. Whitsed Davies, Helen (2013). Ku-Ring-Gai Historical Society: The First 50 years 1963 - 2013. Sydney, Gordon: Ku-Ring-Gai Historical Society Inc. 90 pp. Paperback small wide quarto, very good plus condition, black & white text-photos, map, minor edgewear. The story of Ku-ring-gai (a northern Sydney council suburb), including photos and a map of the area. The area is rich in history, from the Aborigines who were here before the Europeans, Phillip's exploration of the area in the first year of settlement, major land grants, the timber-getters and orchardists. The railway, which came towards the end of the 19th century, improved the social and economic growth which is still strong today. The area has many national parks. ISBN: 9780959867343. Our Book No: 29169. $30 AUD.
92. Wild, Margaret; Tanner, Jane (illustrator) (1985). There's a Sea in My Bedroom (1st p/b ed). Melbourne: Nelson. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback oblong small quarto, stapled, very good condition, full-page colour drawings, minor edgewear. This beautifully illustrated children's picture story will delight adults and children alike. David finds a conch shell at the beach and takes it home. Find out what happens when he puts it to his ear! Short-listed for Children's Picture Book of the Year, 1985. ISBN: 0170064581. Our Book No: 23546. $15 AUD.
93. Winchester, Simon (2003). The Meaning of Everything: The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary (Reprint ed). Oxford: Oxford University Press (OUP). 260 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), full-page black & white text-photos, minor edgewear. An entertaining history of the world's greatest dictionary, originally published in 1928. This fast-paced narrative provides lively portraits of the eccentric key figures, such as the brilliant but tubercular first editor Herbert Coleridge (grandson of the poet), the colourful, boisterous Frederick Furnivall (who left the project in a shambles), and James Augustus Henry Murray, who spent a half-century bringing the project to fruition. Winchester also lovingly describes the tedious nuts-and-bolts work of dictionary making. ISBN: 0198607024. Our Book No: 17014. $15 AUD.
94. Winton, Tim; Autio, Narelle (photos) (2010). Land's Edge: A Coastal Memoir (New ed). Melbourne: Penguin Group Australia. 103 pp. Hardback small wide, dustjacket, pictorial cover, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), full-page colour photos, minor edgewear jacket (closed tear & small scuff & crease top edge). In this memoir, the Australian author writes about his obsession with what happens where the water meets the shore, about diving, dunes, beachcombing and the sense of being on the precarious edge that he records in his novels. The full-colour photos bring his very special story to life. ISBN: 9781926428284. Our Book No: 29180. $15 AUD.